BlatantEcho

Re: SEA congestion INTL arrivals

Sun Apr 14, 2019 4:08 pm

PacificWest wrote:
dc10lover wrote:
Still, the #1 International Route out of SEA is YVR. Way better International Service than SEA - for now.

100% agree. The last two times I've flown to Europe, I made the drive from Portland to YVR because they have way better options and the fares were significantly lower. Flying to Europe out of PDX/SEA is either a ripoff, or forces you to choose from some really unattractive airlines and/or stops.

a) I've had to connect in SEA twice this year to get to London, since there is no non-stop out of PDX during the winter. I was lucky in that I arrived mid day and with GE and no checked luggage, there was limited lines. But, the train and all that... YVR is certainly a better transit point for any US citizen going to Europe or Asia.
SEA has grown a ton in the last 10 years. I like the Virgin 787, Emirates 77W (remember when it was DOUBLE daily, that was wild) and the addition of Cathay and Singapore.
I'm using it for HKG/ICN/PEK flights this year, since PDX doesn't have much here and NRT isn't a hub for DL anymore.

b) If you don't support the nonstops we have (at PDX).... it's hard to expect more of them.
Some of my co-workers drive from Portland to Sea-Tax to catch European flights. To me, that is crazy, but, to each their own. I always ask them what their time is worth, but some of them still drive.
Driving from Portland, to Vancouver, to connect to Europe??? That's an entire day when you figure 5 hours each way, boarder crossing... traffic. It's got to be 12 hours round trip.
I've never met a single person who has done that - so, I guess I'm impressed that someone actually does it.

I doubt most people would do that if the price was 50% less or more. Hell, I wouldn't do it if the J Class fares were free. Just not worth a day of my life on I-5.

I do agree, PDX-Europe has become more expensive in the last 2 years, but I consider that good. Means airlines are making money.
If they make money, they invest in the market, and maybe we'll get year round LHR and eventually CDG (or at least ICN) here.

--

BA

Sun Apr 14, 2019 6:11 pm

Freshside3 wrote:
It isn't any better on the domestic side of SEA, either...….several gates out of commission, and an increased number of "remote"/"hardstand" operations lately.

Remote hardstand operations at SEA are the norm now for the foreseeable future, even well after all the current construction projects wrap up.
"Generosity is giving more than you can, and pride is taking less than you need." - Khalil Gibran

Freshside3

Thu Apr 18, 2019 2:27 pm

BlatantEcho wrote:
PacificWest wrote:
dc10lover wrote:
Still, the #1 International Route out of SEA is YVR. Way better International Service than SEA - for now.

100% agree. The last two times I've flown to Europe, I made the drive from Portland to YVR because they have way better options and the fares were significantly lower. Flying to Europe out of PDX/SEA is either a ripoff, or forces you to choose from some really unattractive airlines and/or stops.

a) I've had to connect in SEA twice this year to get to London, since there is no non-stop out of PDX during the winter. I was lucky in that I arrived mid day and with GE and no checked luggage, there was limited lines. But, the train and all that... YVR is certainly a better transit point for any US citizen going to Europe or Asia.
SEA has grown a ton in the last 10 years. I like the Virgin 787, Emirates 77W (remember when it was DOUBLE daily, that was wild) and the addition of Cathay and Singapore.
I'm using it for HKG/ICN/PEK flights this year, since PDX doesn't have much here and NRT isn't a hub for DL anymore.

b) If you don't support the nonstops we have (at PDX).... it's hard to expect more of them.
Some of my co-workers drive from Portland to Sea-Tax to catch European flights. To me, that is crazy, but, to each their own. I always ask them what their time is worth, but some of them still drive.
Driving from Portland, to Vancouver, to connect to Europe??? That's an entire day when you figure 5 hours each way, boarder crossing... traffic. It's got to be 12 hours round trip.
I've never met a single person who has done that - so, I guess I'm impressed that someone actually does it.

I doubt most people would do that if the price was 50% less or more. Hell, I wouldn't do it if the J Class fares were free. Just not worth a day of my life on I-5.

I do agree, PDX-Europe has become more expensive in the last 2 years, but I consider that good. Means airlines are making money.
If they make money, they invest in the market, and maybe we'll get year round LHR and eventually CDG (or at least ICN) here.

--

And PDX is really getting "hosed" right now, due to the 737 MAX situation, in an indirect way. AC's PDX-YYZ flight, which is a totally different equipment, got their plane stolen, to accommodate the MAX cancellations elsewhere in the AC system. On the surface, it doesn't seem to be a big deal, as you wouldn't think that it's a big market between the two cities. Problem is, people in PDX rely on it, as an easy connection to Europe...….getting to Europe from PDX is now a bit messy.

luckyone

Thu Apr 18, 2019 3:58 pm

Freshside3 wrote:
BlatantEcho wrote:
PacificWest wrote:

--

And PDX is really getting "hosed" right now, due to the 737 MAX situation, in an indirect way. AC's PDX-YYZ flight, which is a totally different equipment, got their plane stolen, to accommodate the MAX cancellations elsewhere in the AC system. On the surface, it doesn't seem to be a big deal, as you wouldn't think that it's a big market between the two cities. Problem is, people in PDX rely on it, as an easy connection to Europe...….getting to Europe from PDX is now a bit messy.

Why? They can connect in Amsterdam, or any of the major domestic hubs, all of which have service to PDX.

PacificWest

Thu Apr 18, 2019 6:33 pm

BlatantEcho wrote:
PacificWest wrote:
dc10lover wrote:

--

I would LOVE to be able to fly out of PDX to Europe. But for (2) r/t tix, it's hard to justify paying double what it is to fly out of YVR... I'm willing to pay a little extra for the convenience... but not 2x the price.

Freshside3

Sat Apr 20, 2019 3:19 am

luckyone wrote:
Freshside3 wrote:
BlatantEcho wrote:

--

Why? They can connect in Amsterdam, or any of the major domestic hubs, all of which have service to PDX.

AMS is seasonal, and it was perfect timing that it is back now. As for the major domestic hubs, AA does not have a morning ORD trip until June. UA's EWR trip currently changes time slots, depending on the day of the week. Some days its a 620am departure, and others, it is 900am, and on other days, it is a redeye. The first one does, on the days it operates, and the latter two do not connect to the "prime time" Europe bank at EWR. So, the absence of AC is compounding the situation a bit.

bcbhokie

Sat Apr 20, 2019 5:51 am

jbpdx wrote:
Yeastbeast wrote:
Where would a bullet train be placed? I live in Bellingham, and there's barely room for the BNSF tracks (that see heavy freight usage daily, and are also used by Amtrak) as it is. Mudslides block the tracks regularly during the rainy season as it is.

There is no impending bullet train up here. Only Amtrak Cascades from Vancouver-Seattle-Portland-Eugene. Track improvements are speeding it up some. But you still have to go through customs.

Also, Cascades only supports like one run a day o YVR - the rest is bus replacement service. Before we spend billions on a new Shinkansen like line connecting Seattle to YVR, demand is going to at least need to increase enough to fill more than one train per day. :P

jbpdx

Sat Apr 20, 2019 6:45 am

bcbhokie wrote:
jbpdx wrote:
Yeastbeast wrote:
Where would a bullet train be placed? I live in Bellingham, and there's barely room for the BNSF tracks (that see heavy freight usage daily, and are also used by Amtrak) as it is. Mudslides block the tracks regularly during the rainy season as it is.

There is no impending bullet train up here. Only Amtrak Cascades from Vancouver-Seattle-Portland-Eugene. Track improvements are speeding it up some. But you still have to go through customs.

Also, Cascades only supports like one run a day o YVR - the rest is bus replacement service. Before we spend billions on a new Shinkansen like line connecting Seattle to YVR, demand is going to at least need to increase enough to fill more than one train per day. :P

Actually two a day.

blrsea

Sat Apr 20, 2019 7:50 am

How are things in SEA these days, especially around 12:00-2:00 pm period? Last time I visited, had to wait for an hour to clear immigration. Lines were all the way till top floor

luckyone

Sun Apr 21, 2019 1:08 pm

Freshside3 wrote:
luckyone wrote:
Freshside3 wrote:

AMS is seasonal, and it was perfect timing that it is back now. As for the major domestic hubs, AA does not have a morning ORD trip until June. UA's EWR trip currently changes time slots, depending on the day of the week. Some days its a 620am departure, and others, it is 900am, and on other days, it is a redeye. The first one does, on the days it operates, and the latter two do not connect to the "prime time" Europe bank at EWR. So, the absence of AC is compounding the situation a bit.

Are you sure about Amsterdam? Everything I've read suggests that the flight operates year-round, but less-than daily during the winter season.

Freshside3

Mon Apr 22, 2019 9:00 am

luckyone wrote:
Freshside3 wrote:
luckyone wrote:

Are you sure about Amsterdam? Everything I've read suggests that the flight operates year-round, but less-than daily during the winter season.

Maybe so, and it does make sense now. Seemed like when I check for a random day for PDX-AMS, though, it's come up as not operating.

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos