Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

 
SmithAir747
Topic Author
Posts: 1906
Joined: Wed Jan 21, 2004 3:30 am

Star Wars Episode IX--The Rise of Skywalker: The end of the Skywalker saga

Fri Apr 12, 2019 5:40 pm

The final installment of the main Star Wars saga is coming on 20 December 2019 in the USA.

The full title, Star Wars: Episode IX--The Rise of Skywalker, was revealed today along with the film's first official teaser trailer: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CoGwf-vOEYM

This film will be the penultimate installment of the main Star Wars saga (the Skywalker saga that has spanned three trilogies--the original trilogy, the prequel trilogy, and the current, sequel, trilogy).

However it does not mean Star Wars is over...there could be more stand-alone films focusing on single specific characters (there have already been a couple), and (somewhat likely) a trilogy or so focusing on new characters in another part of the Star Wars galaxy.

SmithAir747
I will praise thee; for I am fearfully and wonderfully made... (Psalm 139:14)
 
Okie
Posts: 4177
Joined: Wed Jul 16, 2003 11:30 am

Re: Star Wars Episode IX--The Rise of Skywalker: The end of the Skywalker saga

Fri Apr 12, 2019 6:02 pm

Hardly wait.

Should be able to launch a survival pod of inhabitants to populate a blue planet in the Milky Way Galaxy at the end. :biggrin:

Okie
 
User avatar
N14AZ
Posts: 4189
Joined: Sat Feb 24, 2007 10:19 pm

Re: Star Wars Episode IX--The Rise of Skywalker: The end of the Skywalker saga

Sat Apr 13, 2019 7:10 am

The end of the trailer reminds me of the end of the song or the video of Michael Jackson‘s thriller. Am I the only one?
 
User avatar
ER757
Posts: 3857
Joined: Tue May 10, 2005 10:16 am

Re: Star Wars Episode IX--The Rise of Skywalker: The end of the Skywalker saga

Sat Apr 13, 2019 3:24 pm

I read that Mark Hamill is going to be in it - guessing Luke will appear in "spirit" form like Obi-Wan did in ESB and ROTJ.
Looking forward to seeing it - I rarely get to a movie theatre any more - I think the last time I did was for the Last Jedi
 
User avatar
cjg225
Posts: 2003
Joined: Sun Feb 24, 2013 8:59 pm

Re: Star Wars Episode IX--The Rise of Skywalker: The end of the Skywalker saga

Sat Apr 13, 2019 10:27 pm

I wonder what backtracking and retconning Disney will do this time around to make up for the constant missteps they've made.
Restoring Penn State's transportation heritage...
 
User avatar
DL717
Posts: 2241
Joined: Wed May 23, 2018 10:53 pm

Re: Star Wars Episode IX--The Rise of Skywalker: The end of the Skywalker saga

Sat Apr 13, 2019 10:35 pm

My money is on everyone dying except Rey, Poe and Finn. “Skywalker” becomes a new religion replacing Jedi. Gives them a blank canvas, yet provides a tie back to I-IX. They can bring back these three new characters in several years, or go with a new set of characters.

I’ve had mixed feelings about VII and VIII, but they had to close the loop on the original cast to free them up for another direction and it seems IX will do that. I view Rouge One as the best of the Disney projects. It felt like it could have been the original Star Wars film with A New Hope coming second. I thought it was that good and I’ve rewatched it multiple times as I have the original 3. Mileage no doubt varies for others.
Funny. It only took one pandemic for those who argue endlessly about natural selection to stop believing in natural selection.
 
User avatar
afterburner
Posts: 1459
Joined: Mon Jun 13, 2005 11:38 am

Re: Star Wars Episode IX--The Rise of Skywalker: The end of the Skywalker saga

Sun Apr 14, 2019 3:15 am

N14AZ wrote:
The end of the trailer reminds me of the end of the song or the video of Michael Jackson‘s thriller. Am I the only one?

I guess you're more a Michael Jackson's fan than a Star Wars fan. Most Star Wars fans will recognize the laugh as Emperor Palpatine's.
 
User avatar
EA CO AS
Posts: 15765
Joined: Wed Nov 14, 2001 8:54 am

Re: Star Wars Episode IX--The Rise of Skywalker: The end of the Skywalker saga

Sun Apr 14, 2019 3:25 am

SmithAir747 wrote:
This film will be the penultimate installment of the main Star Wars saga (the Skywalker saga that has spanned three trilogies


Penultimate? It’s the last one, not second to last.
"In this present crisis, government is not the solution to our problem - government IS the problem." - Ronald Reagan

Comments made here are my own and are not intended to represent the official position of Alaska Air Group
 
User avatar
EA CO AS
Posts: 15765
Joined: Wed Nov 14, 2001 8:54 am

Re: Star Wars Episode IX--The Rise of Skywalker: The end of the Skywalker saga

Sun Apr 14, 2019 3:27 am

Okie wrote:
Hardly wait.

Should be able to launch a survival pod of inhabitants to populate a blue planet in the Milky Way Galaxy at the end. :biggrin:

Okie



How very BSG of you! :rotfl:
"In this present crisis, government is not the solution to our problem - government IS the problem." - Ronald Reagan

Comments made here are my own and are not intended to represent the official position of Alaska Air Group
 
User avatar
N14AZ
Posts: 4189
Joined: Sat Feb 24, 2007 10:19 pm

Re: Star Wars Episode IX--The Rise of Skywalker: The end of the Skywalker saga

Sun Apr 14, 2019 7:38 am

afterburner wrote:
N14AZ wrote:
The end of the trailer reminds me of the end of the song or the video of Michael Jackson‘s thriller. Am I the only one?

I guess you're more a Michael Jackson's fan than a Star Wars fan. Most Star Wars fans will recognize the laugh as Emperor Palpatine's.

No Sir, you are wrong on all accounts:
- I am definitely no Jackson fan (and I am not saying this just because of the latest media coverage...)
- I am a Star Wars fan since the very first movie
- of course, I recognized the laugh of Palpatine

It’s just the way it was presented - trailer, short break, laughing- reminded me of Thriller.


But coming back to the topic: what’s the meaning of his laughing in that trailer? Darth Vader threw him into that shaft about... hmmm ... 30 to 40 years earlier and we all thought he was dead. Took him 30 years to climb the stairs ... similar to Gandalf before he became white?... :‘)))))))
ah, wait, the Death Star exploded shortly after he was thrown into that shaft.
 
User avatar
cjg225
Posts: 2003
Joined: Sun Feb 24, 2013 8:59 pm

Re: Star Wars Episode IX--The Rise of Skywalker: The end of the Skywalker saga

Sun Apr 14, 2019 2:42 pm

N14AZ wrote:
But coming back to the topic: what’s the meaning of his laughing in that trailer? Darth Vader threw him into that shaft about... hmmm ... 30 to 40 years earlier and we all thought he was dead. Took him 30 years to climb the stairs ... similar to Gandalf before he became white?... :‘)))))))
ah, wait, the Death Star exploded shortly after he was thrown into that shaft.

It means that, once again, LFL is dipping into the old Expanded Universe for ideas. The old EU brought the Emperor back to life (sort of). It was one of the great missteps of the old EU, of which there were several.

I posted this on another board, but I'll repeat it here. LFL has a long history of stealing ideas from the EU, an early example being the existence of Coruscant. The last 10-ish years, LFL (both before and after the acquisition by Disney) has consistently taken ideas from the new-defunct old EU and royally screwed them up. They take a particular element of some idea from the EU and then proceed to bastardize it to the point where it's barely recognizable. And, usually, those ideas they take are actually pretty good. So... if LFL usually screws up a good idea from the old EU when they port it to the big (or little) screen... does that mean when they take a terrible idea from the EU they'll actually do a good thing with it?
Restoring Penn State's transportation heritage...
 
User avatar
DIRECTFLT
Posts: 2334
Joined: Sat Jan 02, 2010 3:00 am

Re: Star Wars Episode IX--The Rise of Skywalker: The end of the Skywalker saga

Mon Apr 15, 2019 6:06 am

:D I got your Lando right here:

https://youtu.be/RN0U1EnuNro
Smoothest Ride so far ~ AA A300B4-600R ~~ Favorite Aviation Author ~ Robert J. Serling
 
VSMUT
Posts: 4682
Joined: Mon Aug 08, 2016 11:40 am

Re: Star Wars Episode IX--The Rise of Skywalker: The end of the Skywalker saga

Mon Apr 15, 2019 7:33 am

N14AZ wrote:
But coming back to the topic: what’s the meaning of his laughing in that trailer? Darth Vader threw him into that shaft about... hmmm ... 30 to 40 years earlier and we all thought he was dead. Took him 30 years to climb the stairs ... similar to Gandalf before he became white?... :‘)))))))
ah, wait, the Death Star exploded shortly after he was thrown into that shaft.


I wouldn't put too much into Palpatines laughter. The Force Awakens trailer featured Vaders characteristic breathing, and that film only featured his burnt out helmet for a few seconds.
 
slider
Posts: 7626
Joined: Wed Feb 25, 2004 11:42 pm

Re: Star Wars Episode IX--The Rise of Skywalker: The end of the Skywalker saga

Mon Apr 15, 2019 3:34 pm

cjg225 wrote:
I wonder what backtracking and retconning Disney will do this time around to make up for the constant missteps they've made.


Oh, totally…
Rian Johnson allegedly deviated from original screenplay ideas SO much in TLJ that Abrams now has to unwind some stuff and try to tie it up into a fitting finale. (Evidently the Snoke thing was one bit point of contention. Not sure about Luke Force projecting and all that…)

Candidly, I’m over it. The trailer did nothing for me, and I grew up a diehard SW fan, consider myself sort of a ‘fanboy’ in that sense of the word, but TLJ was so flipping terrible that I just can’t have any expectations whatsoever for TROS. I was OK with TFA and the fan service Abrams did with it, and even the warmed over Death Star MacGuffin construct, because he needed to heal some of the scars from the awful prequels (which still absolutely suck balls in every possible way, fight me), but I hope Abrams doesn’t go cotton candy here.

And that’s without Kathy Kennedy sucking the life out of the Star Wars universe even beyond the original movies. I knew it would happen, but there IS such a thing as too much Star Wars.
 
User avatar
cjg225
Posts: 2003
Joined: Sun Feb 24, 2013 8:59 pm

Re: Star Wars Episode IX--The Rise of Skywalker: The end of the Skywalker saga

Mon Apr 15, 2019 4:59 pm

slider wrote:
Oh, totally…
Rian Johnson allegedly deviated from original screenplay ideas SO much in TLJ that Abrams now has to unwind some stuff and try to tie it up into a fitting finale. (Evidently the Snoke thing was one bit point of contention. Not sure about Luke Force projecting and all that…)

Candidly, I’m over it. The trailer did nothing for me, and I grew up a diehard SW fan, consider myself sort of a ‘fanboy’ in that sense of the word, but TLJ was so flipping terrible that I just can’t have any expectations whatsoever for TROS. I was OK with TFA and the fan service Abrams did with it, and even the warmed over Death Star MacGuffin construct, because he needed to heal some of the scars from the awful prequels (which still absolutely suck balls in every possible way, fight me), but I hope Abrams doesn’t go cotton candy here.

And that’s without Kathy Kennedy sucking the life out of the Star Wars universe even beyond the original movies. I knew it would happen, but there IS such a thing as too much Star Wars.

I thought TFA was atrocious, so things have only gone south from there for me. I thought RO was passable, but not that great. Because I had such problems with TFA I don't know that I really hated TLJ that much other than just thought it was weak; they'd already lost me. So, much like with TLJ, I am going to go into the TROS with basically zeroed out expectations and see where it takes me. If anything, it'll be amusement material.

For me, the original trilogy will always stand almighty with a pretty decent smattering of non-movie works making up the rest of Star Wars fandom. At least what I've already seen/read/played/etc. can't be taken away from me (though Lucas certainly tried with the insanely dumb "updates" to the original trilogy over time).
Restoring Penn State's transportation heritage...

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Francoflier, ltbewr and 29 guests

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos