Dieuwer
Topic Author

Amsterdam is NOT the most beautiful town in The Netherlands

Mon Apr 29, 2019 2:27 pm

Had this discussion once again last weekend. American friend told me he recently visited Amsterdam for the first time and thought it was the most beautiful town in Holland (The Netherlands). When I told him "no way", he vehemently disagreed and enumerated the canals, the friendliness of the people, and the liberal attitude. When I asked him if he ever visited another part of the country, he said: "No".
At that point I showed him pics of Utrecht (my family home town) and I stated that "clearly" Utrecht is more beautiful than Amsterdam. He did not disagree then.
So what is it with Americans (at least those leaning liberal) and their obsession with Amsterdam (out of all Dutch places, and maybe entire Europe)?

FatCat

Re: Amsterdam is NOT the most beautiful town in The Netherlands

Mon Apr 29, 2019 2:45 pm

Amsterdam is nice, but there are smaller towns that are nicer.
I haven't found really nice people in The Netherlands, but again, I haven't seen so many places (only Breda, Rotterdam, Helmond, Eindhoven - and of all, mostly ports / airports / taxis / industrial estates / business hotels). Surely I haven't met the right persons.
The most nice persons I've met in Europe are Britons. But it's always wrong to judge a population by small numbers.
Aeroplane flies high
Turns left, looks right

petertenthije

Mon Apr 29, 2019 2:58 pm

Utrecht is the most beautiful? Seriously? In my opinion Utrecht lost any claim they may have had after they opened Hoog Catherijne.

I have not been to every town in the Netherlands, so I won't make any claim on which city is the prettiest. I think Den Bosch, Den Haag, Groningen, Leiden and Maastricht are quite nice.
If you just look at the buildings/infrastructure then Amsterdam certainly is way up there. But nowadays it is so overcrowded that it lost its charm.

And let's not forget the tiny cities like Bronckhorst or Bourtange, or medium cities like Deventer.
Attamottamotta!

Number6

Mon Apr 29, 2019 3:36 pm

Oh come on now, surely Lelystad is the place to be! (I’ll show myself out.:). :)

trpmb6

Mon Apr 29, 2019 4:09 pm

This is pretty similar to our other thread about American coastal elite vs heartland or urban vs rural.

But this is an even more absurd claim to make when it's clear your friend had never even visited any other city/town.

You can't make a claim about some place without having ever been there for an extended length of time.

Dieuwer
Topic Author

Mon Apr 29, 2019 4:49 pm

trpmb6 wrote:
This is pretty similar to our other thread about American coastal elite vs heartland or urban vs rural.

But this is an even more absurd claim to make when it's clear your friend had never even visited any other city/town.

You can't make a claim about some place without having ever been there for an extended length of time.

I am not sure where anecdotal evidence ends and statistical evidence begins, but so far most if not all "coastal elites" (a.k.a liberal Americans) I have talked to seem to regard Amsterdam as some sort of nirvana.

trpmb6

Mon Apr 29, 2019 5:15 pm

Dieuwer wrote:
trpmb6 wrote:

I am not sure where anecdotal evidence ends and statistical evidence begins, but so far most if not all "coastal elites" (a.k.a liberal Americans) I have talked to seem to regard Amsterdam as some sort of nirvana.

From my own anecdotal evidence: several of my conservative friends loved Amsterdam. (one of whom is probably the most conservative person I know.)

Edit to add: there could be some positive growth in opinion simply from the fact a tourist is on vacation. Experiencing a new place should be enjoyable and fun. So if you do enjoy yourself, you'll brag more about it.

mbmbos

Mon Apr 29, 2019 5:26 pm

Delft is gorgeous. There is plenty of beautiful architecture in Den Haag. I am partial the lovely villages in the Noordwijk area. Amsterdam has a dark, Gothic feel to it, so I can't blame anyone who finds that an attractive aspect of a city.
"If I don't manage to fly, someone else will. The spirit wants only for there to be flying. As for who happens to do it, in that he has only a passing interest."
- R.M. Rilke

Dutchy

Mon Apr 29, 2019 6:02 pm

Dieuwer wrote:
At that point I showed him pics of Utrecht (my family home town) and I stated that "clearly" Utrecht is more beautiful than Amsterdam.

Discussion closed. 8-)

petertenthije wrote:
Utrecht is the most beautiful? Seriously? In my opinion Utrecht lost any claim they may have had after they opened Hoog Catherijne.

You clearly haven't Utrecht the right way, drop me a PM when you are around and I'll show you ;)
Many happy landings, greetings from The Netherlands!

TSS

Mon Apr 29, 2019 7:19 pm

trpmb6 wrote:

I've seen much the same thing from Europeans of various nationalities, claiming to love or hate the whole of the USA based on one or two trips to New York City and nowhere else. News flash: Whether you think it is the cultural hub of the Western world, an experiment in population density gone horribly, horribly wrong, or anything in-between, New York City is unique and not representative of the rest of the USA.
Able to kill active threads stone dead with a single post!

L410Turbolet

Mon Apr 29, 2019 11:53 pm

Dieuwer wrote:
but so far most if not all "coastal elites" (a.k.a liberal Americans) I have talked to seem to regard Amsterdam as some sort of nirvana.

And what point are you trying to make? The 2-day-visitor-perspective vs. resident-perspective are quite obviously totally. different as both have totally different priorities.

johns624

Tue Apr 30, 2019 2:14 am

Maybe because AMS is a major hub for KLM/DL so more Americans see it. I will be there in June and am scheduled to go on a tour of a city nobody mentioned. Of course, I didn't expect it to be since large parts of it were destroyed in 1944...Arnhem. In fact, that's why I'm going there; for the battlefield tour. Even my wife is fascinated with Market Garden.

Dutchy

Tue Apr 30, 2019 6:39 am

johns624 wrote:
Maybe because AMS is a major hub for KLM/DL so more Americans see it. I will be there in June and am scheduled to go on a tour of a city nobody mentioned. Of course, I didn't expect it to be since large parts of it were destroyed in 1944...Arnhem. In fact, that's why I'm going there; for the battlefield tour. Even my wife is fascinated with Market Garden.

Travel by train from AMS to Arnhem and you will go though Utrecht ;)

Anyhow have a great time in the Netherlands and hopefully you will see a bit more than just Arnhem.

Flanker7

Tue Apr 30, 2019 11:08 am

Is Amsterdam the most beautiful , it is and it's not. The architecture is most certainly wonderful but can be found in other city's in The Netherlands like Leiden,Delft,Utrecht etc. what makes Amsterdam unattractive is the overcrowding. Is so busy these days that you can barely see and experience the beauty the city had to offer. I am born and raised in Amsterdam and still live here but hate being in the center of town on most days because of the crowds. Hardly any Dutch is spoken when moving through town. The one place that can be still quite nice is the Jordaan.
Flying blue only if possible

petertenthije

Tue Apr 30, 2019 11:56 am

johns624 wrote:
I will be there in June and am scheduled to go on a tour of a city nobody mentioned. Of course, I didn't expect it to be since large parts of it were destroyed in 1944...Arnhem. In fact, that's why I'm going there; for the battlefield tour. Even my wife is fascinated with Market Garden.
I took college at Arnhem, I know it well. There's not much to remember you of the war. Most of the area around the bridge was rebuild after the war with cheap and fast to build appartment buildings, obviously there was an urgent requirement for new houses. Some of these houses are now being torn down for redevelopment. BTW: I mentioned Deventer in an earlier post, that's the city where the movie "A bridge to far" was filmed. Arnhem could not be used to film the movie, for obvious reasons!

For a WW2 vibe, you might want to consider the war museum at Overloon which is located at the battlefield of Overloon. This was a battle held a few weeks after Market Garden, but it is not widely known outside the Netherlands.
https://www.oorlogsmuseum.nl/en/home/

Another site that might be of interest is the concentration camp at Vught. This camp was not a "gas chamber camp" like Auschwitz or Treblinka. It was a staging point to send "undesirables" on their way to the death camp.
https://www.nmkampvught.nl/english/
Attamottamotta!

marcelh

Tue Apr 30, 2019 7:58 pm

Dutchy wrote:
johns624 wrote:

Anyhow have a great time in the Netherlands and hopefully you will see a bit more than just Arnhem.

I’ve lived in Nijmegen (just south of Arnhem), which has been bombed by the USAAF.

Dutchy

Tue Apr 30, 2019 9:31 pm

marcelh wrote:
Dutchy wrote:
johns624 wrote:

I’ve lived in Nijmegen (just south of Arnhem), which has been bombed by the USAAF.

True, by mistake, they thought they were over Germany at the time.

marcelh

Tue Apr 30, 2019 9:46 pm

Dutchy wrote:
marcelh wrote:
Dutchy wrote:

True, by mistake, they thought they were over Germany at the time.

They knew they were above the occupied part of the Netherlands and tried to hit some railways used by the Germans. They succeeded with some collateral damage (776 killed in the city centre).

johns624

Tue Apr 30, 2019 10:27 pm

Our guide is picking us up at our hotel in AMS in a van so we're at his mercy...but he has a good reputation.

ArchGuy1

Sat Oct 12, 2019 11:53 pm

Amsterdam has had a number of problems with overtourism in the past couple years.