JohnKrist
Head Support

Re: Why Anet Is Declining

Tue May 28, 2019 8:07 am

Small input regarding hover/mouseover. That was a neat feature when 100%of our visitors browsed on a computer. Today the main part of users use mobile devices and it looks like crap if it shows up, which it usually doesn’t. We have received solutions to add the functionality to phpbb, but on mobile you get the words underlined, but nothing happns when you tap the wod. So that would be a bigger annoyance to the main part of our users compared to the benefit. Also, why not google it, much faster than asking what ia code means...
There was dicussions on adding a button with a register to the most common abbrevations, but nothing in place yet.

Regarding low quality posts, that has always been an issue, and frankly I think the forum would die if there only was high tech topics discussing part numbers, economic breakdowns of airline budgets or accurate physics calculations on the forces that bring aircraft into the air. Because, to someone, even your elaborate topic is considered low quality.
5D Mark III, 7D, 17-40 F4 L, 70-200 F2.8 L IS II, Canon 50mm 1.4, Sigma 50mm 1.4 ART, Sigma 105mm 1.4 ART, EF 1.4x II, EF 2x III, SPEEDLITE 600EX-RT

compensateme

Tue May 28, 2019 5:39 pm

JohnKrist wrote:
Regarding low quality posts, that has always been an issue, and frankly I think the forum would die if there only was high tech topics discussing part numbers, economic breakdowns of airline budgets or accurate physics calculations on the forces that bring aircraft into the air. Because, to someone, even your elaborate topic is considered low quality.

No disagreement, but the problem is getting worse. That we have two active threads pondering whether DL will resume service to HKG, and several others created within this calendar year, is beyond silly. IMO, some of the mods have done a great job servicing the community but have burned themselves out and need to step aside and let fresh blood resume the role.
We don’t care what your next flight is.

TVNWZ

Thu May 30, 2019 5:27 pm

compensateme wrote:
JohnKrist wrote:

No disagreement, but the problem is getting worse. That we have two active threads pondering whether DL will resume service to HKG, and several others created within this calendar year, is beyond silly. IMO, some of the mods have done a great job servicing the community but have burned themselves out and need to step aside and let fresh blood resume the role.

So, DL resuming service to HKG being a popular topic is "silly." Maybe to you. But, apparently not to the members participating. Why can't you just ignore silly topics?

It seems to me that at any given time some post or another is going to be silly to someone. I don't expect every post to be something of value to me. I'm not disappointed. You shouldn't be either.

compensateme

Thu May 30, 2019 6:49 pm

TVNWZ wrote:
So, DL resuming service to HKG being a popular topic is "silly." Maybe to you. But, apparently not to the members participating. Why can't you just ignore silly topics?

It seems to me that at any given time some post or another is going to be silly to someone. I don't expect every post to be something of value to me. I'm not disappointed. You shouldn't be either.

It is silly. There's a reason why industry professionals participate on this website, and not JetPhotos (etc.) Johan and the original moderator team worked their behinds off to ensure this website maintained a certain level of credibility and respect; they did this by removing or limiting "silly" topics. Ultimately, "clickbait" topics are popular, but they make people like me (somebody who's worked in the industry for many years) ponder why I waste my time here, especially when a constructive topic gets buried under garbage. The average person browsing (not necessarily participating) this forum isn't going to look beyond the first page, or even the first half of topics on the first page if they're "clickbait."

Canuck600

Mon Jun 03, 2019 12:01 am

The whole mega thread thing is a turn off to. Why couldn't the Max grounding thread be allowed to have sub topics like: What is MCAS, Boeing's reaction to the crashes, Regulators treatment of MCAS, Regulators response to grounding & ungrounding. Progress on updating MCAS & getting the grounding lifted. Right now you have to weed through 100's of posts with people arguing about what MCAS is or isn't to find anything else.

ORDfan101

Mon Jun 03, 2019 12:26 pm

I’m also 13 and now I’m proud that I’m not an ANNOYING 13 year old

dtw2hyd

Mon Jun 03, 2019 2:55 pm

There were several paid teenage members before this site became free. Teenagers are not the issue for a.net declining, it is the PR shills. Once shills show up on a thread, no one else is allowed to have different POV which doesn't fit their "facts". They know how to use forum rules to their advantage. They can create a ruckus to get a thread closed or a member banned. Normal members are easy prey.

AEROFAN

Mon Jun 03, 2019 3:57 pm

Gonzalo wrote:
As an Anetter with 14 years in the site, I think that we should look for some balance here in the diagnosis. Yes, the overall quality of the forum has decreased. Some really good features from the past are gone. For example : Ten years ago, when someone put an airline code or an airport code, the airline name or airport city name became visible when you put the mouse pointer above the code.

Rgds.
Gonzalo

:checkmark: :checkmark: :checkmark: I so miss those days. :wave: It is tiresome trying to figure out some podhunk airport/airline somewhere. I don't even bother much anymore

AEROFAN

Mon Jun 03, 2019 4:01 pm

The incessant arguing over minutiae and beating the rotting decomposing dead horse has become unbearable.

TVNWZ

Wed Jun 05, 2019 4:46 am

AEROFAN wrote:
The incessant arguing over minutiae and beating the rotting decomposing dead horse has become unbearable.

Ha! No. We would still have to argue what type of glue to turn the dead horse into.

AEROFAN

Mon Jun 10, 2019 2:30 pm

TVNWZ wrote:
AEROFAN wrote:

Ha! No. We would still have to argue what type of glue to turn the dead horse into.

:laughing: so very true.

compensateme

Tue Jun 11, 2019 6:13 pm

One trend I've noticed lately is the number of people who cry wolf to the moderators when they receive a reply they don't like.

For (manufactured) example:
Thread Starter: Delta Air Lines is the bestest airline in the whole wide world!!! They have PTVs. Why would anybody want to fly AA or UA?
Response: What's of importance to one person, might not be of importance to another. For example, DL may offer a PTV, but another airline could offer a better schedule, direct flight or better price.
Thread Starter: SHUT UP!!! If you don't think DL is the World's Bestest Airline, then DON'T REPLY!!!

Thread Starter then flags postings, moderator leaves his original but deletes reply for some unknown reason.

This is a discussion forum and if you're incapable of having a discussion - YOU DO NOT BELONG HERE.

Weatherwatcher1

Sat Jun 22, 2019 12:03 am

qf789 wrote:
zakuivcustom wrote:
Gonzalo wrote:
Other great loss for the site is the absence of very respected members who decided to go out after a lot of times being disrespected or mistreated by other members, civility of some members is at a low level and many times I have the feeling that moderators are too soft with this aggressive people. Years ago we had here real experts like Mandala499, experienced pilots like Pihero, and many others like them, who are now gone from the site after years of contributions.

Mandala499 is still around. But yes, when Mandala posts some of his insights into the ET crash, some of the replies to him are...well...unsavory, and they wonder why members like him rarely post anymore.

It is fair to say that the site is very different to when those users who have left the site or do not post as much to what it is today. Firstly membership is free versus previously being charged for. Secondly the internet has evolved and is very different now to what it used to be. Some treat a.net as another social media outlet where as we would like to be considered as a community. In this day of facebook, twitter etc some think they can post what they like, when they like without consequence. At times it has been hard to contain, it has been particularly bad over the past 2 months since the 737MAX crash and subsequent events with the personal attacks and flamebait we have seen. We are addressing this by bringing in 4 new moderators, we also encourage all users that if they see a post not within the rules to report the post so we can put the ashes out before it becomes a bonfire. I do not think it is fair to label us as soft, I take a great deal of pride in moderating as do the other moderators however we can not just ban people, we have to allow for due process before taking such actions. Just to put things in perspective in January and February we handed out around 30 warnings each month. In March that went up to other 70 for the month, last month was around 50 and so far this month in the past 8 days we have already issued 30 warnings.

Saying all this I would also like to say that usually as mods we only deal with negative things however it does put a smile on our faces when we see a genuine goodwill gesture (ok atcsundevil I give you kudos here) for making an offer, in this case to DALMD80 and to see his response. Anyway DALMD80, when you go for your ATC tour ask atcsundevil as many questions as possible, he knows his stuff. Of course if you ever visit Australia and want to know some aviation stuff let me know

Thank you for your hard work. The post 737MAX dynamic has likely caused much more work. The Paris Air Show Airbus orders thread appeared like a healthy and constructive discussion about airlines ordering airplanes. The Paris Air Show Boeing orders thread looked like a bash fest that needed constant cleanup. Have the warnings increased?

I enjoy learning things on this site. I appreciate the moderators so we can focus on facts rather than conjecturing, hypothesizing and pushing agendas. Threads can quickly end up in flame wars and lose their usefulness

eta unknown

Sun Jul 14, 2019 12:11 pm

compensateme wrote:
One trend I've noticed lately is the number of people who cry wolf to the moderators when they receive a reply they don't like.

Thread Starter: Delta Air Lines is the bestest airline in the whole wide world!!! They have PTVs. Why would anybody want to fly AA or UA?
Response: What's of importance to one person, might not be of importance to another. For example, DL may offer a PTV, but another airline could offer a better schedule, direct flight or better price.
Thread Starter: SHUT UP!!! If you don't think DL is the World's Bestest Airline, then DON'T REPLY!!!

Thread Starter then flags postings, moderator leaves his original but deletes reply for some unknown reason.

This is a discussion forum and if you're incapable of having a discussion - YOU DO NOT BELONG HERE.

Yes this us what I was eluding to in my earlier post. Years ago you could have constructive conversation on here, now no more. I'm also finding some of the longer term users are becoming nasty in their replies, possibly due to the whole site mentality.
However, I've also discovered any mention of the foe button in a thread is immediately deleted, as if disharmony is more preferable to the admins.

Max Q

Mon Jul 15, 2019 2:00 am

eta unknown wrote:
compensateme wrote:

Yes this us what I was eluding to in my earlier post. Years ago you could have constructive conversation on here, now no more. I'm also finding some of the longer term users are becoming nasty in their replies, possibly due to the whole site mentality.
However, I've also discovered any mention of the foe button in a thread is immediately deleted, as if disharmony is more preferable to the admins.

Eta wadrs the word you’re looking for
is ‘alluding’ ‘eluding’ is an entirely different thing

Best wishes
The best contribution to safety is a competent Pilot.

Guns and the love of them by a loud minority are a malignant and deadly cancer inflicted on American society

eta unknown

Mon Jul 15, 2019 6:33 am

LOL, yes you're right!

Virtual737

Mon Jul 15, 2019 4:44 pm

Any time I think A.net has declined to the point of being of no use (I've been coming here for at least 15 years regardless what my profile states), I'll go read a few comments from random YouTube videos. The internet really can bring out the worst in people.

I truly appreciate those in the industry that take the time to post great information here. I appreciate even more those that can do so with absolute class. Take a bow members such as longhauler, BA777FO and Zeke. There are plenty of others I'm sure but those were the first to come to mind, even if I might have questioned some of what they have written.

CHRISBA35X

Fri Jul 26, 2019 12:33 pm

I was on here for years and one of the major contributors to Civ-Av, but I left after getting very tired with the agenda on the site - most notably from the mods at the time. I've returned now and can say its similar but a little better. Certainly more civil, less personal.

Veigar

Sun Jul 28, 2019 2:52 pm

AEROFAN wrote:

I feel this is always going to be a thing everywhere no matter what year or topic.

cougar15

Wed Jul 31, 2019 1:40 pm

atcsundevil wrote:
tcfc424 wrote:
I joined this site sixteen years ago and was mesmerized by the information that was available here.

I wound up finding a job as a ramper for UA through this site and loved my time there.

I have engaged with many people from different facets of aviation through this site.

I have learned tremendous amounts of information regarding crashes, airline direction, operations and such from this site.

I have seen some of the most amazing aviation photography on this site.

I have always loved that I can leverage my aviation geekiness by showing people that mainstream media quotes Anet.

HOWEVER.

Since Johan sold the site, the only things that I see are the 12-year olds asking why Midwest Express didn't by the 747-100, why UA doesn't fly OMA-LOS, and why Via Air didn't order the A321neo. There are a lot of good discussions still remaining on this site, but they are quickly being overrun by A v B wars and US v everyone else. It's sad that I long for the posts of when DL will retire the DC-9. The 757 resurrection threads still exist, so there's that. I'm just ranting because I think this site has gone to hell. There's still some good information to be had, but you have to dig through all of the BS to get to it and then deal with some snarky 12-year old when you ask a legit question that doesn't fit their narrative. Maybe if we start using cursive script we can confuse the little ones? Maybe a Wonderlic test to sign up? So disappointing because I love this site (and still visit more often than I will tell my wife.)

I agree that some changes should be made, because our (moderator) policies are essentially the same as when users had paid memberships, but to assert that these sorts of issues didn't previously exist is simply not true. Even a decade ago or more, there were plenty of low quality posts, personal attacks, clickbait, etc. What's changed is that the internet itself is a much different place than it used to be, and perhaps even the types of people drawn to internet forums (the concept of which has been generally declining for years). This forum is no different, and the content and quality itself hasn't changed significantly over the years — just go back and read some old threads, because I've spent plenty of time doing that myself, and things didn't used to be all that different.

Ultimately, I think that people just like to reminisce over what they perceive to be "better days" (not that it's a bad thing). We have lost a number of great contributors over the years, but that doesn't mean we don't still have plenty of great ones now. We just tend to only think of the people who have left. Some users still love to talk about how much they miss the old site, but I guess they forget the fairly regular outages that would last for days, or the broken features, or the weird quirks. It was a website held together with masking tape (unfortunately this new site isn't much better, but at least it's more stable). The old website was truly homemade, and it was awesome, but while most of the users are different, the content itself and the problems we deal with aren't remarkably different.

I do want to make a point of saying this site hasn't been slowly ruined by 13 year olds. In fact, it's exceedingly rare that we have trouble of any kind with younger users — maybe their contributions are on a more basic level, but they're almost always respectful and eager to learn. It's the adults who throw ridiculous temper tantrums and think they know better than everyone else. I personally think that mindset does a disservice to the next generation, because we were all them at one time. Maybe we didn't have an internet forum, but we still had a passion for aviation. Some people on this site seem to act like we're in some exclusive club because we think we know things, when we should be encouraging young folks to be engaged. There are enough salty old jerks who work in this industry...we don't need to let that attitude permeate here. Especially when it's misdirected, since it's usually adults who cause the most problems. In 3+ years as a moderator, I have yet to have a teenager threaten to sue me because I banned his account, or have one unleash a torrent of personal attacks on me because I removed a thread.

compensateme wrote:
The fourm's declining because it's much more liberally moderated today than years' past. For example, UA857 (who lists his age as 16) has started 100+ generic, vague, low-quality threads. In the Johan days, he would've been banned before he hit a dirty dozen (let alone triple digits). But here's the problem: his threads are (usually) really, really popular, often by veteran users who want to argue about what CO's service was like pre-merger, the demise of EA, or whether DL would've ordered Airbus had it not acquired NW. He's basically a content farm for a.net, attracting page views which generates $$$ for the website. So whereas A.net use to be like The NY Times or WSJ... now it's BuzzFeed.

If you're implying that we're somehow directed to let people get away with things to boost ad revenue, that's completely ridiculous. Nobody from Vertical Scope tells us how to moderate these forums in any way, shape, or form. I've been a moderator for 3+ years, and no one from VS (or previously DM) has ever told me what to do. We make the forum rules, and we enforce them in the way that we feel appropriate. We are users first, after all. We only answer to the community, but we obviously have to do so in a way that we feel will best promote the well-being of the community. We don't purposely let garbage posts slide, but sometimes there's only so much we can do about them. Perhaps in contrast to years ago, we don't feel that it's generally our place to regulate what content is discussed, so long as it's appropriate and users can appropriately discuss the topic.

DALMD80 wrote:
Nice to hear. Once at BWI I saw a G2 or something that was trailing a TON of smoke. That was crazy. If you're ever in the area, PM me and I'll let you know if/when I'll be at BWI.

Definitely don't let some of these grouchy old guys get you down. Most of the people you'll meet in this industry are great people, so don't let bad attitudes get in your way. If you're in the DC area and you want to come check out a big ATC facility, just send me a message and I'd be happy to give you a tour.

Second all of that, nothing wrong with new - young enthusiasts/members, welcome DALMD80 ! But here needs to be a balance, site owners will never reach FB advertising revenue (and surely they must realise that sometime soon), bring back payed membership for real enthusiasts rather than all of us old grouches only visiting this site when we have nothing else to do! I use to be addicted.... not so much any more when briefly looking at page 1 on CivAv! Quality - even if controversial - input from seasoned operators is very much on the decline...….
some you lose, others you can´t win!

OA940

Fri Aug 09, 2019 12:27 am

Sorry to revive an oldish thread, but I really don't believe the problem lies with either age or the fact that this site is free. Anonymity gives people a sense of security and, as someone above said, the internet sometimes brings out the worst in people (as the same person said go check out some Youtube comments and this site will feel like heaven in comparison lol). People can display any sort of rude, discriminatory or other behaviour that they would never otherwise clearly show simply because the worst that can happen is their comment/post gets deleted. It's a problem but maybe we can try to ignore it and see the good this community still offers. Personally I've been lurking around for the better part of a decade but only started posting regularly a while after the site became free-to-use, and I haven't noticed any major change. I started posting here as a dumb oblivious teen who liked planes, and partly thanks to this site my love for aviation has grown massively and, thanks to the people here who held my hand through my (admittedly very idiotic at times) questions and explained things like civilized human being who have manners I am now gearing up for flight school confidently. So I think this community is something we can all still enjoy, regardless of trolls etc, because in its essence its still just a bunch of aviation enthusiasts that wanna talk about their passion!
A350/CSeries = bae

Pudelhund

Sat Aug 10, 2019 6:50 pm

this is getting ridiculous

qf789

Sun Aug 11, 2019 1:31 pm

Pudelhund wrote:

Hence why that forum is called Travel, Polls and Preferences
Forum Moderator

atcsundevil

Sun Aug 11, 2019 4:11 pm

Pudelhund wrote:

Every one of those topics is a valid discussion in the correct forum. I'm not exactly sure what's ridiculous about this when it's the purpose of that forum. If it bothers you, then I would suggest not viewing the Travel, Polls, and Preferences Forum.

eta unknown

Tue Aug 13, 2019 7:45 am

Ok we're sinking to deeper depths now... Moderators are locking threads when they feel a topic has been answered and no further input is required.

E2

Tue Aug 13, 2019 12:19 pm

Virtual737 wrote:
I truly appreciate those in the industry that take the time to post great information here. I appreciate even more those that can do so with absolute class. Take a bow members such as longhauler, BA777FO and Zeke. There are plenty of others I'm sure but those were the first to come to mind, even if I might have questioned some of what they have written.

And yet when those members in the know post details of real world operations we still have posters who not only reject the information, they ridicule the poster. I really admire the patience and tolerance of these members, I wouldn't put up with a fraction of the crap that they get.

But that is also part of the problem, how many high quality posters have left the site due to such behaviour? I used to follow quite a number of members, most of whom are no longer active. I know some have passed away, but most just seem to have given up in the face of the armchair experts. Anet has got to the stage where some posters simply fill threads with dozens of contrary post and when the serious posters give up and move on, these people claim that their opinion is now fact. Later on they reference that thread as proof of their opinion in another thread.

However it's not only Anet, practically any forum these days on any subject is seeing basically the same behaviour, swamping good input with massive amounts of pointless noise. When the noise prevails, and it always does in the end, the noise generator claims that their "'truth" has won out.

And no, it's not always the younger posters who do this.

TTFN
I had been told that the training procedure with cats was difficult. It’s not. Mine had me trained in two days. (Bill Dana)

SQ22

Tue Aug 13, 2019 3:17 pm

eta unknown wrote:
Ok we're sinking to deeper depths now... Moderators are locking threads when they feel a topic has been answered and no further input is required.

Yes and same moderators were unlocking it when they realized they were wrong. The reason the thread got locked again was because it went off topic.

DYSK

Thu Aug 15, 2019 3:57 pm

The majority of all posts are regarding the forum. And as much as keyboard warriors may cause long term members to leave I don't think it's the whole truth to the A.net decline.
I believe there are multiple reasons for the decline and it probably won't stop if something innovative is done to the site.

Firstly, the core of the site, the image section. It has been known for high quality through the years. Something that I've noticed has dropped significantly. From what I've understood it may be because the more talented bunch of photographers that used to upload got tired of the quite strict guidelines and started seeking elsewhere. Which moves me to what I believe is a big contributor to the decline, social medias. For example Instagram where you could upload anything you want and get direct feedback and appreciation for basically anything.
This leads to fewer photogs contributing here ultimately lowering the standard of photos since only a fraction would actually pass the criterias.

secondly, the site needs modernization. Wheter the bigger community likes it or not, nostalgia never works in the long run. The site needs to be updated in a way that makes it phone accessible (as John K wrote a few posts up most users use the site via phone). As it is at the moment it is just easier to use Instagram or whatever to get a daily dose of avphotos. Most of which are actually more interesting and creative than the new ones found here as most photogs have left a.net. An example to see how outdated the site is is to click the youtube symbol on the homepage. It leads to an account with the newest video uploaded 2 years ago. The quality of that video is so horrendous that it probably damages a.net's reputation more than it helps...

Thirdly, once the site experience is enhanced and good content could be found visitors will return. More visitors to the site will turn into more members and a more lively forum.

These are just some observations that I've made and believe are possible causes. I'm not saying that they are 100% correct but I think it points the flashlight in the right direction.
Not typing this to bash the site. I've been a user of the site for years and would very much like to see it coming back to its past glory.
I do not know how much input the mods have in the development of the site, probably not as much as you should since you use it daily and know what's needed.
Are you able to pitch any ideas to the developer/owner of a.net?

NWAESC

Thu Aug 15, 2019 4:34 pm

E2 wrote:
Virtual737 wrote:
However it's not only Anet, practically any forum these days on any subject is seeing basically the same behaviour, swamping good input with massive amounts of pointless noise. When the noise prevails, and it always does in the end, the noise generator claims that their "'truth" has won out.

There are also users sent to these forums intentionally to either drown out the discussion, or get threads locked.
"Nothing ever happens here, " I said. "I just wait."

dutchspotter1

Thu Aug 15, 2019 7:04 pm

DYSK wrote:
Are you able to pitch any ideas to the developer/owner of a.net?

That woulde be of no use because the developer/owner has clearly shown over the past few years that he is not interested in making any enhancements to this website.
NO URLS in signature

ClipperMonsoon

Thu Aug 15, 2019 9:44 pm

Thankfully permanently logging off this site, it's pretty obvious the civil aviation forum is now run by the anti Boeing Euro crowd, the keesje, wlederling, mjoenrl, the sky God zeke,the usual group, with their thinly veiled cheap shots,, go back and read some their posts, its clearly obvious they are untouchable, but of course they can get away with it, after 16 years I have noticed the changes, I'll leave this forum to those who have the patience and more intelligence than i, good luck to the rest as there some very very intelligent aviation related person still on here, airliners has gone to shit for the most part, enjoy, I've commended the mods for their work on here, but I question the bias of some, its clear!
"Never mistake persistence for intelligence"
Random Person

eta unknown

Fri Aug 16, 2019 1:10 pm

Then don't hang out in the NZ forum- you will endure lengthy rantings from people who will not accept an alternative viewpoint. Some responses are so long I wonder if they actually have lives outside this site.