Moderators: jsumali2, richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

filipinoavgeek
Topic Author

Was the A359ULR ever publicly offered to other airlines?

Sat May 04, 2019 1:02 pm

As we probably are all aware of by now, Singapore Airlines is the first and so far only operator of the A350-900ULR, and apparently it was developed specifically due to SQ's requirements. Now the question: did Airbus ever (publicly) offer the type to other airlines, or was a non-SQ customer not on the table from the start? I think I recall reading that PR/QF/EK were interested, but I can't seem to find any news reports that confirmed that this was the case. And in any case, it appeared that the A359ULR was ruled out for Project Sunrise pretty early on.
RIP 9V-SKA
2007 - 2019

PR77W

Re: Was the A359ULR ever publicly offered to other airlines?

Sat May 04, 2019 2:05 pm

Intresting I have been always under the impression that PR was looking for an Increased MTOW for the A359. But never considered they would be interested at the A359ULR.

filipinoavgeek
Topic Author

Sat May 04, 2019 2:09 pm

PR77W wrote:
Intresting I have been always under the impression that PR was looking for an Increased MTOW for the A359. But never considered they would be interested at the A359ULR.

I only saw the part about PR and the ULR on either Philippine Air Space or CAPA (can't remember which), and even then it was either PR or Airbus that said that the ULR wasn't needed for PR's needs. Ironically, news sites originally seemed to report that PR's A350s were of the ULR, which only further added to the confusion, although this was eventually corrected.
RIP 9V-SKA
2007 - 2019

DocLightning

Sat May 04, 2019 11:18 pm

I can't imagine Airbus turning down any legitimate offer. It's hardly a good business practice to turn away potential customers. That said, the -ULR has some disadvantages (decreased total allowed payload). It's a minimal modification on the base A359 (some extra pumps and plumbing), so it's no extra trouble for Airbus to build one. The issue is that it's a pretty short list of airlines that have a good use for it. In addition to SQ, QF and perhaps NZ might be potential customers, but they haven't ordered A359s at all, and the ME3 might also be interested, but their geographic location means that they would only use it on a few routes (AKL, MEX, and maybe SCL if they don't want to go via EZE), and maybe SA might be interested. I really can't imagine any of the US3 or EU3 biting.
-Doc Lightning-

"The sky calls to us. If we do not destroy ourselves, we will one day venture to the stars."
-Carl Sagan

Channex757

Sat May 04, 2019 11:34 pm

DocLightning wrote:
I can't imagine Airbus turning down any legitimate offer. It's hardly a good business practice to turn away potential customers. That said, the -ULR has some disadvantages (decreased total allowed payload). It's a minimal modification on the base A359 (some extra pumps and plumbing), so it's no extra trouble for Airbus to build one. The issue is that it's a pretty short list of airlines that have a good use for it. In addition to SQ, QF and perhaps NZ might be potential customers, but they haven't ordered A359s at all, and the ME3 might also be interested, but their geographic location means that they would only use it on a few routes (AKL, MEX, and maybe SCL if they don't want to go via EZE), and maybe SA might be interested. I really can't imagine any of the US3 or EU3 biting.

Strikes me that Airbus could skip the A330NEO and instead offer a tanker version using the ULR plumbing for additional fuel. Do some work to ensure the boom isn't at tailstrike risk and a KC-350 could be a cheap option to make available.

777Jet

Sun May 05, 2019 3:02 am

filipinoavgeek wrote:
And in any case, it appeared that the A359ULR was ruled out for Project Sunrise pretty early on.

Does anybody know why? I believe that would be the perfect sized aircraft for such routes and could be used on other QF routes which QF want out of the sunrise aircraft. Not as big as the 35K / 77X but slightly longer and better cabin comfort than the 789 they currently use on the ULH PER-LHR route. Seemed like the logical choice to me if on offer.
DC10-10/30,MD82/88/90, 717,727,732/3/4/5/7/8/9ER,742/4,752/3,763/ER,772/E/L/3/W,788/9, 306,320,321,332/3,346,359,388

Antarius

Sun May 05, 2019 3:05 am

777Jet wrote:
filipinoavgeek wrote:
And in any case, it appeared that the A359ULR was ruled out for Project Sunrise pretty early on.

Does anybody know why? I believe that would be the perfect sized aircraft for such routes and could be used on other QF routes which QF want out of the sunrise aircraft. Not as big as the 35K / 77X but slightly longer and better cabin comfort than the 789 they currently use on the ULH PER-LHR route. Seemed like the logical choice to me if on offer.

Cargo capacity maybe? Speculating.
2020: SFO DFW IAH HOU CLT MEX BIS MIA GUA ORD DTW LGA BOS LHR DUB BFS BHD STN OAK PHL ISP JFK SJC DEN SJU LAS TXL GDL

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos