santi319

Re: Why didn't Delta fly International out of DFW?

Mon May 13, 2019 5:23 am

Its still not clear if DL ever served FRA from
DFW.

Ishrion

Mon May 13, 2019 5:26 am

santi319 wrote:
DFW.

Wait, really? I thought DL served DUS-DFW.

millionsofmiles

Mon May 13, 2019 6:06 am

santi319 wrote:
DFW.

Delta was in the DFW-FRA nonstop market from the late 1980s into the early 90s. It was gone by the mid-90s.

DFW-FRA was launched during the “Easy Street” campaign and predated the purchase of Pan Am’s European route authorities including the FRA hub.

Coexstud

Mon May 13, 2019 4:31 pm

n2dru wrote:
Coexstud wrote:
I think it may be the reason they took 777’s and 767’s all day long from ATL too MCo focused predominantly on domestic divaship and less on long haul international for the longest time

Actually 777 turns on ATLMCO was for crew familiarization. The 764s were primarily domestic birds (replacements of the L1011s) until the international expansion. But both provided extra lift on a very busy route.

Does it take 10+ years to familiarize, if so maybe that’s why they went bankrupt.......

KlimaBXsst

Mon May 13, 2019 4:41 pm

Speaking of Hubs

how much bigger was the CVG hub at its peak compared to the DFW hub?
Aesthetically the A 340 got it right!

deltacto

Mon May 13, 2019 5:46 pm

KlimaBXsst wrote:
Speaking of Hubs

CVG peaked in 2004 ... 162 DL Mainline and 433 DL Connection .. total of 595
(DL Mainline peaked in 1996 at 219)

http://www.departedflights.com/DLCVGhub.html

DFW peaked in 1993 ... 256 DL Mainline and 95 DL Connection ... total of 351
(this was also the DL Mainline peak)

http://www.departedflights.com/DLDFWhub.html

Cunard

Mon May 13, 2019 8:28 pm

santi319 wrote:
    DFW.

I'm not sure if you have read the entire thread but it's been clearly mentioned by myself and others that Delta did indeed previously serve FRA from DFW!

DELTA inaugurated DFW to FRA on the 16 June 1984 with the L1011-500.

DL26 DFW 16.55 FRA 09.15 L15 x3
    DL23 FRA 11.15 DFW 15.00 L15 x3

Can we please put this did they or didn't they fly from DFW to FRA to bed as it's getting rather exhausting!

To the other poster qouting Delta previously flying DFW to DUS........No No No.
    94 Countries, 327 Destinations Worldwide, 32 Airlines, 29 Aircraft Types, 182 Airports, 335 Flights.

compensateme

Mon May 13, 2019 9:16 pm

deltacto wrote:
    KlimaBXsst wrote:
    Speaking of Hubs

CVG peaked in 2005, with approximately 670 flights. Much of that growth (vs. 2004) was by reallocating resources freed up by closure of the DFW hub. Departedflights doesn't cover 2005, hence the confusion.
    We don’t care what your next flight is.

n2dru

Mon May 13, 2019 10:07 pm

Coexstud wrote:
    n2dru wrote:
    Coexstud wrote:
    I think it may be the reason they took 777’s and 767’s all day long from ATL too MCo focused predominantly on domestic divaship and less on long haul international for the longest time

Actually 777 turns on ATLMCO was for crew familiarization. The 764s were primarily domestic birds (replacements of the L1011s) until the international expansion. But both provided extra lift on a very busy route.

Does it take 10+ years to familiarize, if so maybe that’s why they went bankrupt.......

What timeframe are you referring too? DL hasn't regularly scheduled 777 and 764s to MCO for years. I was referring to the early to mid 2000s before 764s were internationally configured and 777s pulled from domestic turns.

strfyr51

Mon May 13, 2019 10:31 pm

So? the question is? Why Did Delta fall back and retrench at ATL rather than build on DFW? They also had a pretty good thing at SFO with their terminal at SFO with Northwest they called the "Oasis". From there they could have flown the Pacific. They seem t do some pretty strange things at that Airline. Luckily? They all see to work for them. It's jt that they seem to take a "short" rather than a "Long" View on everything Like it had better work NOW...

reltney

Mon May 13, 2019 10:43 pm

Boeing727 wrote:
    I flew on an L-1011 FRA-DFW in 1988 with Captain John Steiger in charge, who was piloting the Convair 880 in the below picture. He was kind enough to give my father and myself a tour of the flight deck and encouraged me to follow my dream, which I did...thanks Captain.

That’s my dad! Still alive and instructing at flight safety in Houston at 89 years old...
    Knives don't kill people. People with knives kill people.
    OUTLAW KNIVES.

I am a pilot, therefore I envy no one...

slcdeltarumd11

Mon May 13, 2019 11:35 pm

I think they flew to Germany :stirthepot:

MIAFLLPBIFlyer

Mon May 13, 2019 11:36 pm

Kilopond wrote:
    rwsea wrote:
    [...]SkyTeam was in its infancy and DL didn't yet have access to the powerful NW/KL operation at AMS.[...]

Delta`s first transatlantic partnership took off at VIE and GVA.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Atlantic_Excellence

I thought BRU also w/ Sabena IIRC. But that might have been later.

Ishrion

Mon May 13, 2019 11:47 pm

Cunard wrote:
      santi319 wrote:
      DFW.

I'm not sure if you have read the entire thread but it's been clearly mentioned by myself and others that Delta did indeed previously serve FRA from DFW!

Can we please put this did they or didn't they fly from DFW to FRA to bed as it's getting rather exhausting!

It was sarcastic for DUS. Pretty sure he was talking about how many times FRA as already mentioned.

santi319

Tue May 14, 2019 12:20 am

Ishrion wrote:
      Cunard wrote:
        santi319 wrote:
        DFW.

It was sarcastic for DUS. Pretty sure he was talking about how many times FRA as already mentioned.

New drinking game idea. Re-Read this thread and drink a shot everytime DL flew DFW-FRA is mentioned.

B1168

Tue May 14, 2019 1:29 am

santi319 wrote:
        Ishrion wrote:
        Cunard wrote:

New drinking game idea. Re-Read this thread and drink a shot everytime DL flew DFW-FRA is mentioned.

Then you will be sent to the hospital by the time you finished the first page!

msp747

Tue May 14, 2019 2:44 am

deltaffindfw wrote:
          "Operation Clockwork" as it was called happened on January 31, 2005. 250 flights to 21... Very sad day at Terminal E...

The last time I flew into DL's DFW hub was in OCT/NOV of 2004 and it was a sad sight then. I was flying IAH-TUS on an award ticket and all the flights were ERJ/CRJ. The satellite concourse, which I had fond memories of as a kid, was where the regional jets parked and it was a ghost town. I was one of 2 people in the bar, and the other businesses were equally empty. I walked through the tunnel (which was missing a number of ceiling tiles and looked beaten down) to see what the rest of E looked like, but it wasn't a whole lot better. It was a sad end to a hub I had enjoyed in the past.

KlimaBXsst

Wed May 15, 2019 4:05 am

deltacto wrote:

Oh gee... I was thinking the CVG hub was much smaller than the DFW. And to think both DFW and CVG hubs individually are much larger than the SEA hub.

Why are they calling SEA a hub instead of a focus city? Hmmm... weird.
          Aesthetically the A 340 got it right!

BoeingGuy

Wed May 15, 2019 4:49 am

Cunard wrote:
            santi319 wrote:
            DFW.

I think he was joking. It was mentioned so many times that he made a joke out of saying it wasn’t clear. I think DUS was a joke too.

jplatts

Wed May 15, 2019 8:23 pm

KlimaBXsst wrote:
            Oh gee... I was thinking the CVG hub was much smaller than the DFW. And to think both DFW and CVG hubs individually are much larger than the SEA hub.

Why are they calling SEA a hub instead of a focus city? Hmmm... weird.

Even though DL has significantly downsized at CVG, DL still has nonstop service out of CVG to some destinations other than its hubs or focus cities, and CVG is still a focus city for DL.

DL's SEA hub is now bigger than its CVG focus city, and DL also actually offers connections to destinations in Asia and Alaska from the contiguous U.S. at SEA.

DL has completely dehubbed DFW, and DL currently only serves ATL, CVG, DTW, LAX, MSP, LGA, JFK, and SLC nonstop from DFW.

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos