tcaeyx

Re: Asiana's Seoul-Chicago suspension

Sat May 11, 2019 11:28 am

ronmk1986 wrote:
ITSTours wrote:

One thing I found is Koreans have very strong preference for KE and OZ. Maybe that is because of the language or cultural barrier for them, but I found quite a few Koreans think Korean carriers are the best airlines in the world.

This is because OZ and KE both have a service culture very much in line with Korean cultural norms, as well as food that caters to their narrow palate. This is something that no other carrier can replicate, particularly the US3.

kiowa

Sat May 11, 2019 12:46 pm

Antarius wrote:
kiowa wrote:
Would be nice to see United or AA do it but I suspect AA is not in the cards. Korean is not an option for me because I do not like peanuts served in first class anymore than the CEOs daughter:)

AA would be interesting, albeit unlikely. They launched DFW-ICN and that appears to have done very well; ORD wouldnt have the same tech travel, but could be an interesting add.

Also, :laughing: for the peanut comment. Nice.

Thank you for catching it! I thought my humor would go unnoticed:)

zakuivcustom

Sat May 11, 2019 3:17 pm

tcaeyx wrote:
This is because OZ and KE both have a service culture very much in line with Korean cultural norms, as well as food that caters to their narrow palate. This is something that no other carrier can replicate, particularly the US3.

Agree, good luck finding Bibimbaps on US3 (And it's not just Bibimbaps, I'm just using that b/c it's probably as tasty of a Y meal as it can get). As for service - good luck not getting dragged off a plane just b/c those peanuts are not to the customer's liking. :duck:

EDIT:
ORDfan wrote:
zakuivcustom wrote:
Seriously...this turn into Chicago vs Toronto?

It's crazy how every thread about ORD devolves into urban theory socioeconomics with a smattering of partisanship for good measure, yet the most popular narratives are often baseless. I really can't figure out why the city is so polarizing to outsiders, when so many natives love it here. I'd love to list links showing how Chicago leads the country in high-income household growth, but it's not even worth taking the thread even more off topic. I suggest deletion as fast as I can spot em, and recommend others do the same.

Cheers

(Off topic)
I think it's the same few posters doing that anyway. One of the poster (whose post had been removed) had long hijack every single Chicago thread and babble about how "Chicago suck" and "Everyone just move out".

On a side note - I live in Indiana, so I know full well about the "Chicago bashing". Some of whom just "won't go to Chicago without heavily arm security", of course. :white:
Free Hong Kong! Free China!

Qantas59

Sat May 11, 2019 3:33 pm

Sorry if I missed this, but when did Asiana first begin service to Chicago? I looked, but was unable to find anything. Cheers.
[photoid][photoid][/photoid][/photoid]/Users/jaytanguay/Desktop/Screen Shot 2016-10-27 at 9.30.09 AM.png

ITSTours

Sat May 11, 2019 4:21 pm

ronmk1986 wrote:
ITSTours wrote:
ronmk1986 wrote:

That may explain another OZ’s disadvantage in ORD.

I know both the main customer source for KE and OZ in North American routes are ethnic Koreans, but what about other North Asian carriers in Japan (NH, JL) and Mainland China (CA, MU, or CZ) in their North American routes? Ethnic traffics as well?

Japanese for sure. Japanese people have very strong preferences for their flag carriers. And their premium classes are often full due to large numbers of business travelers.
This is another weakness of Asiana that it suffers from the lack of business travelers.

I thought Japanese carriers do not heavily rely on the outbound traffics from Japan as I’ve seen many Japanese passengers in KE, OZ, UA, or DL, but I guess I was wrong.

One thing I found is Koreans have very strong preference for KE and OZ. Maybe that is because of the language or cultural barrier for them, but I found quite a few Koreans think Korean carriers are the best airlines in the world.

Yes there are Koreans like that. Same for Incheon Airport. (KE, OZ and ICN are all very decent airlines and airport but they are not No.1...)

Japanese people loving their national carriers does not mean they only fly JL and NH.

You see lots of Japanese travelers on KE/OZ for a few reasons:
1) As we all know HND used not to have longhaul int'l flights and there's not enough NRT domestic flights. So for Japanese people outside of Tokyo sometime it was easier to connect in ICN instead.
2) Price of course...

For DL/UA, they provide nonstop routes, and UA has JV with NH. JL-NH nonstop O&D flights are super expensive (see their low load factors and high profits..) so US carriers are good alternatives for cost-sensitive customers. I mean Korean people also love their carriers but UA, DL, and AA load factors to ICN can go over 90%.

ITSTours

Sat May 11, 2019 4:24 pm

Qantas59 wrote:
Sorry if I missed this, but when did Asiana first begin service to Chicago? I looked, but was unable to find anything. Cheers.

http://m.mk.co.kr/news/headline/2005/117391/#mkmain
It is 2005. Article in KOR.

ITSTours

Sat May 11, 2019 10:33 pm

Would A330-900neo help Asiana to come back on this route?
ICN-ORD should attract enough demand, yet Asiana still can't make it work.
A reduced seat capacity will provide them better yields.
787-9 would be perfect, but Asiana will not order them. They recently have been sticking to Airbus.
A339neo seems to be a good alternative. ICN-ORD should be doable with the new 251t variant.
Will also allow Asiana to explore additional destinations where 772 (301 seats) and 359 (311 seats) are too big.

Current OZ A333s have 290/275 seats, so A339neo may have 270-280 seats with Business Smartium (full flat direct aisle access, Solstys) and Economy Smartium (Y+).

Of course these things should occur after the sale of Asiana though. There are priorities.

ITSTours

Fri May 31, 2019 12:52 am

1) AK group, the owner of Jeju Air (largest Korean LCC), is reported to bid for Asiana.
They don't have enough money to buy Asiana unless they form a consortium with financial investors.
It might only be that AK wants to increase the price, without an actual intent to purchase Asiana.
Or they might be interested only purchasing Air Busan and/or Air Seoul (Asiana's two child LCCs).

2) SK group is again rumored to join the bidding war. Of course SK continues to deny.
But because of this rumor, Asiana IDT (Asiana's IT backbone) stock rose 30%, Asiana itself rose 15%, etc. It came back down a few percents today.

ITSTours

Fri May 31, 2019 1:30 am

Oh well, wrong thread. Delete above please.

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos