787X30

Re: British Airways under fire for offering a new “afternoon tea” that doesn’t come with any tea

Fri May 17, 2019 1:54 am

Heinkel wrote:
In a dutch coffee shop, they are serving different things. AFAIK tea is not on the menu.

It is, but somehow they put it in their fags. So, surprisingly, water doesn't come free in the Netherlands either.

ClassicLover

Re: British Airways under fire for offering a new “afternoon tea” that doesn’t come with any tea

Fri May 17, 2019 7:24 am

alan3 wrote:
£45 on BA from Heathrow? Hmmm.....call me when you find that.

Frequently enough you can find fares like this from Heathrow.

Last November, I booked LHR-DUB-LHR for £79 return, two weeks before travel. I've also seen things like £95 one way in Club Europe from Stockholm to London Heathrow (searching in April for travel in November). €39 fares out of Dublin are not uncommon and the list goes on. You can get seriously cheap flights with BA these days, if you look hard enough.

So consider yourself called :)
I do enjoy a spot of flying, especially when it's not in economy!

AIR MALTA

Fri May 17, 2019 9:14 am

ClassicLover wrote:
alan3 wrote:

Last November, I booked LHR-DUB-LHR for £79 return, two weeks before travel. I've also seen things like £95 one way in Club Europe from Stockholm to London Heathrow (searching in April for travel in November). €39 fares out of Dublin are not uncommon and the list goes on. You can get seriously cheap flights with BA these days, if you look hard enough.

Your headline price is just the exception not the norm. Flying to Lisbon this on Sunday and back on Tuesday. BA sells it for £526 HBO. TAP £200. I know who I am flying with and not because of the price. £526 is plain outrageous when the only thing you get is water from the tap.
Next flights : BRU-ZRH-CAI (LX)/ BRU-FCO-TLV (AZ)

BrianDromey

Fri May 17, 2019 9:55 am

And yet, BA charge what they feel they can achieve. Such is the breath of BAs non-stop route network from LHR that they can charge £326 extra. The level of premium traffic and high fares in London partially explains why BA favoured the A319 for LHR operations - to drive yield even higher and why BA has such premium heavy wide-bodies. It has no interest, nor need for £59 one-ways. As long as times are good. Which they usually are in London.

That someone in BA’s commercial department thanks £5 is a reasonable price for a scone tells you all you need to know about BAs market.

BA777FO

Fri May 17, 2019 10:35 am

AIR MALTA wrote:
ClassicLover wrote:
alan3 wrote:

Your headline price is just the exception not the norm. Flying to Lisbon this on Sunday and back on Tuesday. BA sells it for £526 HBO. TAP £200. I know who I am flying with and not because of the price. £526 is plain outrageous when the only thing you get is water from the tap.

Of course, you're booking less than a week in advance. If you book several months in advance you'll find those bargains. BA's 3 flights to Lisbon on Sunday are practically full as it is with very high Club Europe loads, hence the higher price.

AIR MALTA

Fri May 17, 2019 11:29 am

BA777FO wrote:
AIR MALTA wrote:
ClassicLover wrote:

Of course, you're booking less than a week in advance. If you book several months in advance you'll find those bargains. BA's 3 flights to Lisbon on Sunday are practically full as it is with very high Club Europe loads, hence the higher price.

Well, I never book several months in advance. And as I said my BA flights cost between £200 and £700. So I am one of those where BA makes the biggest margin. And BA is not the only airline having great fares. AF has fares to a lot of destinations under €100 if you book many months in advance. Somehow, they still think they need to compete on the service level too. The same goes for KL and LH. And it is not only the investment in service but it is also the investment in cabin cleanliness and cabin refresh. BA's cabins are one of the dirtiest in Europe and some of their airplanes are just falling apart (like the 747s going to DEN or CPT). Having taking DL last year to Hawai from LAX, I was really impressed with the refresh of their 757s and the onboard service. Several rounds of soft drinks, coffees and nibbles. As a AF Platinum, I also go free items from the menu. The same treatment I get when I fly AY and AA as a BA Gold Member. With all those millions of profits BA does they could invest in being more hospitable to their customers and OneWorld frequent flyers like other airlines do. But no, they are hell bent on pretending other airlines do not offer anything in Economy (alternative facts there).
Next flights : BRU-ZRH-CAI (LX)/ BRU-FCO-TLV (AZ)

BrianDromey

Fri May 17, 2019 11:33 am

And yet, BA charge what they feel they can achieve. Such is the breath of BAs non-stop route network from LHR that they can charge £326 extra. The level of premium traffic and high fares in London partially explains why BA favoured the A319 for LHR operations - to drive yield even higher and why BA has such premium heavy wide-bodies. It has no interest, nor need for £59 one-ways. As long as times are good. Which they usually are in London.

That someone in BA’s commercial department thanks £5 is a reasonable price for a scone tells you all you need to know about BAs market.

Jetty

Fri May 17, 2019 11:52 am

BA777FO wrote:
BA actually has one of the highest operating margins of any European airline. Customer net promoter scores at just about record levels and punctality is setting new records.

I can believe the part about operating margins, but behavior like with their tea that isn’t tea does come at a price: BA ranks lower than other European legacy airlines like KL and LH on every independent airline review site like TripAdvisor and Airlinequality. Give people a choice and a significant number might avoid BA, however often there isn’t a convenient alternative so it doesn’t hurt BA much.

Ionosphere

Fri May 17, 2019 12:56 pm

BA really has a crappy product. Even United and Southwest serve tea for free.

zappomatic

Fri May 17, 2019 2:59 pm

AIR MALTA wrote:
shamrock350 wrote:
I'm surprised so many in this thread are shocked that British Airways charge for food and drinks on short haul, I'm guessing most are non Europeans as not only was the move well publicised (and criticised) at the time but it's pretty much the standard within Europe these days, free snacks are becoming the exception rather than the rule.

It's only a matter of time before the remaining legacy carriers of Europe drop their measly offering on short haul and move to a buy on board system as well.

BAWLGW wrote:
If I go into any coffee shop and buy a scone, a cake, and a sandwich, should then I automatically expect a free tea? No! Get a grip!

When you go into a coffee shop is their scone advertised as 'Afternoon Tea' or is it simply labeled as a scone?

It seems you got used to travel with IAG that you lost touch with the rest of airlines in Europe. Actually, BA and its fellow low budget IAG airlines are one of the rare legacy airlines that don't offer anything to their customers in the back. All of the legacies in Europe (except SN) offer at least free tea, coffee and juice. Some have snacks and some others like AF, KL, LH, OS, LX (from Zurich), A3 and TK have a more substantial offering on longer routes. AF and KL made a U turn lately and improved their Y catering on longer routes in Europe for Y customers. BA isn't even capable of welcoming its most loyal customers (Gold customers) with free items from the menu like AY and AA (they do it for BA's Golds).

So yes, people are shocked with BA turning into a nasty stingy budget airlines with high fares. And I am always thrilled when BA gets hammered for being what it is today.

To add to the confusion, flights operated by the BA CityFlyer subsidiary still offer free drinks (including alcohol) in economy, with breakfast before 9.30am and either a snack or a more substantial offering later in the day.

ClassicLover

Fri May 17, 2019 5:31 pm

zappomatic wrote:
To add to the confusion, flights operated by the BA CityFlyer subsidiary still offer free drinks (including alcohol) in economy, with breakfast before 9.30am and either a snack or a more substantial offering later in the day.

Well, it's not really confusing. You fly to or from London City and you get catering in Economy Class. Otherwise, flying in Europe, you don't. It's not particularly confusing :)
I do enjoy a spot of flying, especially when it's not in economy!

n729pa

Fri May 17, 2019 9:12 pm

BA777FO wrote:
AIR MALTA wrote:
ClassicLover wrote:

Absolutely, I fly BA 50-60 times a year and I easily pick up day return fares to a variety of destinations especially in Germany Spain Italy and France from less than £90 return. True you need to book them months in advance but that's the same with a concert, sports event or train fares. ..last minute bookings are going to be more expensive.

I do think BA should provide a basic drink (tea coffee or water free) like AY SK FI 4U ...IB charge but last time I flew OS they did a double run through the cabin (two coffees!) KL AF TP LH AZ LX give you a drink and something to eat. SN and EI both charge too but can't remember if that was for drinks or not, the flights were too short to worry.

In fact there are a number of routes (like HEL GVA AMS CDG ZRH VIE FCO now LIS) I fly with the other carrier rather BA because their level of service is higher. Freedom of choice at the end of day.

BA777FO

Fri May 17, 2019 10:01 pm

AIR MALTA wrote:
BA777FO wrote:
AIR MALTA wrote:

Well, I never book several months in advance. And as I said my BA flights cost between £200 and £700. So I am one of those where BA makes the biggest margin. And BA is not the only airline having great fares. AF has fares to a lot of destinations under €100 if you book many months in advance. Somehow, they still think they need to compete on the service level too. The same goes for KL and LH. And it is not only the investment in service but it is also the investment in cabin cleanliness and cabin refresh. BA's cabins are one of the dirtiest in Europe and some of their airplanes are just falling apart (like the 747s going to DEN or CPT). Having taking DL last year to Hawai from LAX, I was really impressed with the refresh of their 757s and the onboard service. Several rounds of soft drinks, coffees and nibbles. As a AF Platinum, I also go free items from the menu. The same treatment I get when I fly AY and AA as a BA Gold Member. With all those millions of profits BA does they could invest in being more hospitable to their customers and OneWorld frequent flyers like other airlines do. But no, they are hell bent on pretending other airlines do not offer anything in Economy (alternative facts there).

Unless you book several months in advance the flights fill up and the cheapest seats have already been sold. Most airlines/hotels are the same.

But AF and LH don't face the same level of competition out of Paris or Frankfurt as BA does from London. Gatwick is easyJet's biggest base, they also have a big base at Luton; Ryanair's biggest base outside of Dublin is at Stansted and Norwegian's biggest base outside of Scandanavia is at Gatwick. You can argue that London is a bigger air market but the fact remains that it has some of the fiercest competition of any city in the world. If easyJet, Ryanair and Norwegian offer no food or drink for free onboard, how is BA supposed to while matching their fares from one of the most expensive and congested airports in the world?

Let's talk about cabins: all of the A320s are getting a refresh with power points at all seats; the super hi-J 747s have all been refreshed and most of the mid-J 747s have had a refresh. The 3 and 4 class GE 777s at LGW have been refreshed and have been received well in NPS surveys. The first RR 777 has just reentered service and the rest will be refreshed in due course. The A350 is coming with an all new J seat, arguably one of the best J seats. The 787s are new, 4 new 777-300ERs are being delivered next year alongside 787-10s and more A350s and 777Xs a few years after. Dispatch reliability of the 747s is actually pretty good so there's no basis for the claim that they're falling apart. Not sure when you last flew on a mid-J 747 but most have been refreshed. Those that haven't will be retired soon.

LAX to Hawaii on DL? So similar stage length to LHR-TLV where you'd also get complimentary food and drink onboard. Last time I flew IAH to DFW on United I was lucky to get a cup of water. There's been so much consolidation in the USA that American, Delta and United can afford to not only have higher fares but offer a little more onboard too. Aside from Southwest, there's really only a token of competiton from Spirit, Frontier and Jetblue. It's nothing near as intense as Ryanair and easyJet in London.

You obviously don't like BoB. But for everyone that moans about BoB there's another person that moaned that all BA offered was a small bag of crisps or a cookie. When you're competing against £29.99 fares with easyJet something has to give. I don't mind paying £1.25 for a bottle of water in WH Smiths, I need little else on a short hop to Hamburg or Vienna.

trent768

Mon May 20, 2019 6:38 am

I had the exact same problem when I went for a holiday with my aunt and uncle to Cornwall last summer. I was addicted to those clotted cream cornish ice cream, so one day I decided to order a cream tea at a shop. Expecting a nice cup of tea mixed with clotted cream, I was super confused when they gave me a scone with clotted cream and jam. My Brits uncle laughed so hard and then explained to me what cream tea is. One thing that I realise from my 2 months stay in the UK is that there are so many British English terms that are pretty vague and confusing to foreigners (eg. I was confused with all the 'to let' sign hanging in the buildings). Especially since we all got exposed to American English on a daily basis, although I'm pretty sure most part of the world use British English as the base of their English curriculum.

Anyhow, I'm shocked that BA charge £2.5 for a cup of tea! Even SK offers free coffee and tea during the flight.

dredgy

Mon May 20, 2019 7:02 am

Boeing74741R wrote:
PatrickZ80 wrote:
shamrock350 wrote:
Some parts of the UK refer to dinner or a small meal as "tea" but that's a bit of a stretch in this case as it's just a scone so it's neither, tea or a meal.

The phrase "tea" is also used to refer to the evening meal, as well as "teatime". However, not everyone in the UK calls their evening meal that and use "dinner" instead - it's purely regional. To confuse things further, where "tea" is used to describe the evening meal then "dinner" is used to refer to the midday meal instead of "lunch".

It's quite convoluted, but I believe proper (historical) English is - breakfast | lunch | supper. "Dinner" refers to the largest meal of the day, which has become synonymous with supper, but for some regions/generations can refer to lunch.

Tea refers to a light meal - usually accompanied by tea (the drink). Though here in Australia, afternoon tea definitely does not usually involve drinking tea and just a quick bite to eat.
Afternoon tea is taken in the afternoon and is an upper class thing.
High tea is taken in the evening and is a working class thing.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tea_(meal).

Riveting stuff.

Junglejames

Mon May 20, 2019 7:36 am

StuckInCA wrote:
tonystan wrote:
You can tell who’s not British in this thread.

Afternoon Tea is the name of a meal. It doesn’t necessarily mean it comes with a tea beverage. Infact Champagne is actually the most popular drink with afternoon tea amongst the younger generation these days.

This is a bit like complaining that Disney World is not actually a world and being upset that it’s just a patch of swampland in Florida!

Except that I haven't flown an airline in quite some time that would charge for a cup of tea. I'll make sure to keep BA on my less preferred list.
Depends.
Long haul economy, I haven't found many airlines that really stand out above them. Singapore Airlines, and that's about it.

Plenty try to make out they are super dooper, but in reality are just the normal.

To keep it on topic, long haul they are my airline of choice. Because they give milk with tea!! Fresh milk at that. The number of other airlines that look at me oddly when I ask for milk, then suggest I put creamer in my tea. No, just no.

Oh, and tea (with milk) is definitely free long haul, and they have no qualms about topping you up. In that regard, they really are a British airline.

Short haul, seems like they are going downhill. But, there often isn't a better choice, depending on where you are going.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

vaughanparry

Mon May 20, 2019 8:05 am

Thirst World problem...

Junglejames

Mon May 20, 2019 8:38 am

AIR MALTA wrote:
BA777FO wrote:
XLA2008 wrote:

However... British Airways is supposed to represent the country as a nation, the hospitality, culture and traditions I mean goodness they fly with a crest and carry the flag!! For many first time visitors to the UK using British Airways this will be their first experience of the UK, and if a “Very British Airline” does NOT FOLLOW the standard British tradition and chooses to try and rip people off for a few extra £’s for profit then I think everyone has the right to be pretty upset about it. Very disappointing BA, seems as though you are just turning into a glorified Easyjet!

Rip people off for a few extra pounds? Short haul tickets from London are ridiculously cheap! When you're paying a £45 one-way fare and £13 is APD, £20 is airport user fee and there are other aeronautical charges, that leaves less than £12 to pay for the fuel, employee costs, maintenance and so forth. And it's ripping people off to ask them to pay for food or drink? I guess the next time a hotel charges me extra for breakfast or any other drink I should say they're ripping me off? This is a new reality. If you want "free" food and drink then you can still have it: fly in Club Europe.

As for being a glorifies easyJet, you can still buy an inclusive fare with baggage included, you can accrue Avios on every flight, if you're Silver or above you can use the lounge and premium check in desks regardless of your class of travel and you have the option of getting all of that "free" stuff that so many claim they'd pay extra for (but in reality always choose the cheapest fare) by buying a Club Europe ticket. You get what you pay for, it's a widely-used mantra that has a lot of merit.

That's not the fares I usually pay few weeks before a flight... the fares my company pays are between £200 to £700 for shorthaul economy.
And for the same prices, all other legacies provide something. I am even offered free stuff from the menu when I travel with AY and AA as I am a BA Gold. BA is so stingy it doesn't even reciprocate that gesture to other OW Emeralds and not even its own Golds...

But- That means working out who can have free tea and who can't.
Can you imagine being offered free tea, then the stewardess turning to the person next to you and saying- " Sorry, you only paid £45, whereas he paid £200, so no tea for you".
Whilst the guy next to you would still be quids in, can you imagine the uproar? So it has to be the same across the whole cabin.

Oh, and just remember, easyjet do the same with their prices. Start off cheap, and end up off the scales. That's for a tacky aircraft, again with no free tea, probably a free for all to board, stingy baggage restrictions (you must put your coat on otherwise that counts as extra baggage), and absolutely no chance of Club Europe and the lounge access.

JannEejit

Mon May 20, 2019 8:49 am

shamrock350 wrote:
Fellow IAG carrier Aer Lingus offers a scone with a hot drink for €5.50 or £4.80 from their own buy on board menu which is arguably better value.

All served with a persuasive "Go on, go on, go on, go on..." from a friendly Irish Mrs Doyle-alike... :P

Junglejames

Mon May 20, 2019 8:51 am

BA777FO wrote:
XLA2008 wrote:

However... British Airways is supposed to represent the country as a nation, the hospitality, culture and traditions I mean goodness they fly with a crest and carry the flag!! For many first time visitors to the UK using British Airways this will be their first experience of the UK, and if a “Very British Airline” does NOT FOLLOW the standard British tradition and chooses to try and rip people off for a few extra £’s for profit then I think everyone has the right to be pretty upset about it. Very disappointing BA, seems as though you are just turning into a glorified Easyjet!

Rip people off for a few extra pounds? Short haul tickets from London are ridiculously cheap! When you're paying a £45 one-way fare and £13 is APD, £20 is airport user fee and there are other aeronautical charges, that leaves less than £12 to pay for the fuel, employee costs, maintenance and so forth. And it's ripping people off to ask them to pay for food or drink? I guess the next time a hotel charges me extra for breakfast or any other drink I should say they're ripping me off? This is a new reality. If you want "free" food and drink then you can still have it: fly in Club Europe.

As for being a glorifies easyJet, you can still buy an inclusive fare with baggage included, you can accrue Avios on every flight, if you're Silver or above you can use the lounge and premium check in desks regardless of your class of travel and you have the option of getting all of that "free" stuff that so many claim they'd pay extra for (but in reality always choose the cheapest fare) by buying a Club Europe ticket. You get what you pay for, it's a widely-used mantra that has a lot of merit.
Whilst I still think BA are going downhill on shorthaul (note- not on longhaul), I understand why.
The day people stop flying easyjet and ryanair, and accepting flying does cost money, and more so if you want the luxuries, then we may see BA reverse the cuts on shorthaul. As it is, they have to keep up with the cheapskates in order to keep bums on seats. People refuse to pay the extra.

Me myself. I refuse to fly easyjet or ryanair. Why? It's a bit hypocritical to claim BA are going downhill, then go and fly with the airlines that are causing it.
I want to pay the going rate for my flights. To prove there are some people that will. I want my pilots and cabin crew to be paid a decent wage.

Saying that, I prefer to travel by land and sea around Europe. But I know where my money goes when in the air.

Junglejames

Mon May 20, 2019 8:58 am

richierich wrote:
Arion640 wrote:
YULACYYZ wrote:

Been to England many times and heard over and over "time for me tea" but they don't drink tea! Of course it's from Yorkshire and there are regional differences.

However, first thing that comes to mind for most people seeing this ad, is that the tea would be included.

I am from britain and I can ensure you the vast majority of the country drinks tea, as well as a lot of coffee too.

Regardless of whether traditional 'Afternoon Tea' contains a drink of tea or coffee (my understanding is that either would be acceptable), the real story here is that BA is too cheap to offer a complimentary cup of tea on certain flights. That's pretty sad I have to say, and I'm generally a big BA fan. Maybe they are looking at how much money this will save them but they are ignoring the bigger picture of the damage this does to the proud brand. Let EasyJet, Ryanair and others slog it out at the bottom end of the market; BA can cut costs here and there but small customer-facing differences go a long way to the image of the company.
Which is exactly the way I would go. Try and maintain a difference between yourself and the budgets in economy class. But I'm not privvy to BAs figures, so don't know what they make on shorthaul. Or what would happen to passenger numbers if they increased prices.

Would I do things differently to Mr Cruz? Most definitely. Would I be right? Who knows.

BaconButty

Mon May 20, 2019 9:59 am

I think this is not just a generational thing, but rather evolution over time. In my youth Afternoon Tea would certainly involve a pot of tea alongside sandwiches and cakes. In the groupon era you seem to have lots of hotels using it as as supplementary source of income, and it's become a way to treat your mam on her birthday - and hence has had champagne, prosecco or gin added to it.

My edwardian era grandparents used to eat like hobbits (and didn't get fat somehow). Breakfast, elevenses, dinner, afternoon tea, tea and supper. As we went from school we would have afternoon tea every day - banana butties and victoria sponge with a cuppa. So I would feel robbed without some tea to wash the scone down, certainly.
Down with that sort of thing!

ChrisKen

Mon May 20, 2019 10:16 am

scbriml wrote:
Lots of amusing banter here, but nobody has asked the really important question:

Is it scone (as in cone) or scone (as in gone)? :spin:

Scone as in gone is the correct pronunciation.

Those that pronounce it scone as in cone are the same ones you'll find with delusions or pretensions to grandeur, that will own and lay out fish knives. The Mrs Buckets of the world, if you like.

frmrCapCadet

Mon May 20, 2019 12:25 pm

Scone as in cone is standard throughout the US, so far as I know. And often only eaten at fairgrounds once a year at the Fisher Scone booth, and with raspberry jam. They sell a mix - I suspect more often bought than baked. Fisher was an early Seattle settler and business man. Maybe just a Pacific NW thing - anyone hear of them elsewhere?
Buffet: the airline business...has eaten up capital...like..no other (business)

grbauc

Mon May 20, 2019 5:31 pm

scbriml wrote:
#FirstWorldProblems

How will we survive? :crazy:

Yea this message has been played over and over.. Heck I've used it myself. Small problems big problems still its a problem to some for discussion.

These are discussion boards.

I get sick of the Jerry Springer like treads of what Poorly written new article on a passenger airline offence can we all sit around and judge on. Even though its poorly reported and we have a 10th of the in needed.
I'm learning to stay away from them.

grbauc

Mon May 20, 2019 5:39 pm

BAWLGW wrote:
If I go into any coffee shop and buy a scone, a cake, and a sandwich, should then I automatically expect a free tea? No! Get a grip!

There buying a package not a item. " Afternoon Tea" I'ts implied in the title. I'm not British (DNA wise I am 76%) I've visited many times and when getting after noon tea at any hotel I've gotten tea with the afternoon tea meal.

If they clearly tell you drinks are separate OK I get it. A little bit cheap and off putting imop.
Last edited by grbauc on Mon May 20, 2019 6:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.

fraspotter

Mon May 20, 2019 5:54 pm

nycilley02 wrote:
The biggest surprise to me here is that the tea isn't free, regardless of whether you have purchased a scone or not. Does BA really charge for coffee and tea on short haul flights? What exactly do they think their value proposition v. low cost carriers is?

One of the world's great enduring mysteries to me is the snobbery everyone abroad has about domestic US flights. No US major carrier charges for coffee, tea or any other soft drink on any domestic flight. Not even the major LCCs like Southwest and JetBlue. Just saying...

Frontier and Spirit (are these not major carriers?) most definitely charge for drinks. Granted that's not really the company BA should want to compare themselves too.
"The strength of the turbulence is directly proportional to the temperature of your coffee."

— Gunter's Second Law of Air Travel

Ziyulu

Mon May 20, 2019 6:29 pm

How can BA still keep its 4 star rating with services so basic?

gunnerman
Topic Author

Mon May 20, 2019 8:21 pm

On short-haul, you pay for everything unless you're in Business class (Club Europe) where it's complimentary. Here are the offerings and prices.
https://www.britishairways.com/en-gb/information/food-and-drink/short-haul-economy-dining

JannEejit

Mon May 20, 2019 9:35 pm

Well it sure sounds like BA and Alex Cruz have become the 'Self-Righteous Brothers'. They appear to have lost the lovin' feelin' and now it's scone, scone... scone... :D
Last edited by JannEejit on Mon May 20, 2019 9:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.

JannEejit

Mon May 20, 2019 9:36 pm

Double (cream) post ! :oops:

Schweigend

Tue May 21, 2019 4:27 am

Not to stray from the main topic -- and I agree that BA are silly to call something "afternoon tea" which is not, actually....

Do BA serve proper Afternoon Tea in their premium cabins on shorthaul? I expect they would do so on longhaul flights....

In the 1990s - early 2000s, I frequently flew CO in J or F from the U.S. to London and back. They had F until 1991 or so and always flew to LGW, until they got their LHR slots for a pretty penny in the early '00s.

The westbound return from London was a morning departure, with the entire 9-10 hour flight being in daylight. Breakfast was served upon departure, but the true highlight every time was the Afternoon Tea, which they served midway through the flight, somewhere over the North Atlantic or eastern Canada. It was quite proper, consisting of several finger sandwiches (egg salad, cucumber, tuna, cream cheese, etc.), scones with clotted cream and jams, and good strong tea from a pot, followed by diminutive dessert treats. Of course, one could get coffee, alcohol, or any other beverage if desired. About an hour before landing, a standard small snack would also be served.

Oddly, the CO menus always referred to it as "High Tea" rather than "Afternoon Tea". "High Tea" in the U.K. I'd thought meant a more substantial meal with a main course, but that's what CO called it.

Some time during the mid '00s, CO scandalously deleted the afternoon tea service, in a cost-cutting move -- J pax were pissed!

I've no idea whether UA after its merger with CO have re-instituted Afternoon Tea in the Polaris cabin on westbound daylight flights from LHR -- I usually connect to the U.S. from London via AMS to avoid the onerous UK Air Passenger Duty (APD). I certainly hope that they have.

BA777FO

Tue May 21, 2019 11:39 am

Junglejames wrote:
richierich wrote:
Arion640 wrote:

I am from britain and I can ensure you the vast majority of the country drinks tea, as well as a lot of coffee too.

Regardless of whether traditional 'Afternoon Tea' contains a drink of tea or coffee (my understanding is that either would be acceptable), the real story here is that BA is too cheap to offer a complimentary cup of tea on certain flights. That's pretty sad I have to say, and I'm generally a big BA fan. Maybe they are looking at how much money this will save them but they are ignoring the bigger picture of the damage this does to the proud brand. Let EasyJet, Ryanair and others slog it out at the bottom end of the market; BA can cut costs here and there but small customer-facing differences go a long way to the image of the company.
Which is exactly the way I would go. Try and maintain a difference between yourself and the budgets in economy class. But I'm not privvy to BAs figures, so don't know what they make on shorthaul. Or what would happen to passenger numbers if they increased prices.

Would I do things differently to Mr Cruz? Most definitely. Would I be right? Who knows.

BA has tried that already - it didn't work. Drinks, including alcohol, used to be free; checkef baggage was free; conplinentary snacks were served including sandwiches or wraps on flights over about 90 minutes, crisps or a cookie on shorter flights and a full English breakfast on morning domestic flights. People just decided to save £5 or £10 and fly easyJet.

Now BA competes on all aspects of the market: there are the cheap fares to capture the hyper price sensitive and Club Europe provides for all of those people who claim they's spend extra for complimentary food and drink...

At the end of the day, no one is forcing people to purchase the buy on board stuff - nothing is stopping you from taking your own snacks onboard. In many cases though people will often choose to go without for the short 90 minute flight, most people can go that long without having to consume food. However, you are provided with a safe, efficient and punctual service. That is ultimately the main thing.

Junglejames

Tue May 21, 2019 12:07 pm

Oh I know they used to. As I say, without being privvy to their figures, it is difficult to be too critical.
Hasn't there also been talk on here BA are going to squeeze out the legroom as well on the A320s etc? Not exactly sure how you could get away with too much there.

The only change I really do not like, is regards long haul. I would never be fitting the Gatwick 777s with 10 abreast seating. They realised the error of their ways before, so should maintain that difference. They stood out from the rest having 9 abreast.
If you can make money before with 9 abreast, you can make money now with 9 abreast.

Let's just hope it doesn't spread to Heathrow. I'm pretty sure it won't because they have already refurbished a lot of the Heathrow 777s with 9 abreast.

BA777FO

Tue May 21, 2019 2:01 pm

AML was a lot different to the current LGW operation. The refreshed 10-abreast 777s are scoring higher customer satisfaction results than the current 9-abreast ones. BA is about one of the last airlines to do it on the 777 and it's working well. Try it, you might be pleasantly surprised. I'd expect the RR 777s at Heathrow to get the refresh, in fact the 3 class ones are already planned to get it, but they may find their way to LGW as A350s take over BLR, EZE, BKK etc eventually.

Short haul was a disaster 10 years ago. It's been completely transformed and now turns a profit in its own right.

eurotrader85

Tue May 21, 2019 7:02 pm

Ziyulu wrote:

Completely agree. Personally think it needs a star knocked off to knock some sense into Cruz and management (although the fact EI and AT make it into the same grouping as EK, EY and KA is also puzzling).

What I never understand in all this is with the buying power BA and IAG have with suppliers they can drive purchasing costs of food and drink for the Y cabin to a few quid per seat-and before anyone tries to say otherwise, that £3 passed on in ticket price is not the difference why someone flies EZ and FR instead. It is laughable when the PR team roll out for the umpteenth time the pre-scripted spiel 'that consumers prefer the extra choice and service'.

lightsaber

Tue May 21, 2019 7:54 pm

The first time I paid for tea in a restaurant, I was surprised I had to pick a tea.... ;)

eurotrader85 wrote:
Ziyulu wrote:

, that £3 passed on in ticket price is not the difference why someone flies EZ and FR instead. It is laughable when the PR team roll out for the umpteenth time the pre-scripted spiel 'that consumers prefer the extra choice and service'.

PR is bad, but the search engines rank by cost. So BA must manage to keep costs low. But put in the meal price. Since I would be among the many not buying the tea, it would be for a lesser price per seat.

Customers demanded lower base fares and voted with their mouse clicks. Oh well.

Lightsaber
IM messages to mods on warnings and bans will be ignored and nasty ones will result in a ban.

alan3

Tue May 21, 2019 9:06 pm

The BA defenders pointing out that a quick weekend getaway to the continent puts BA is up against the likes of and FR and U2.

But what about those spending £1500 and 15-20 hours flying from Asia or North America to Europe connecting through LHR? Not sure they would notice adding a few extra quid on to their ticket price to give them some basic free services like a beverage and a biscuit for that kind of ticket price.

eurotrader85

Wed May 22, 2019 6:31 pm

alan3 wrote:
The BA defenders pointing out that a quick weekend getaway to the continent puts BA is up against the likes of and FR and U2.

But what about those spending £1500 and 15-20 hours flying from Asia or North America to Europe connecting through LHR? Not sure they would notice adding a few extra quid on to their ticket price to give them some basic free services like a beverage and a biscuit for that kind of ticket price.

This is bang on the point. The delta on the cost of this incremental service is negligible in the scheme of things. I just recently booked W on a leisure flight to the US and the cost and time between BA and LH was roughly the same, so who did I pick? The airline that gives better service-not BA.

lightsaber wrote:
eurotrader85 wrote:
Ziyulu wrote:

, that £3 passed on in ticket price is not the difference why someone flies EZ and FR instead. It is laughable when the PR team roll out for the umpteenth time the pre-scripted spiel 'that consumers prefer the extra choice and service'.

PR is bad, but the search engines rank by cost. So BA must manage to keep costs low. But put in the meal price. Since I would be among the many not buying the tea, it would be for a lesser price per seat.

Customers demanded lower base fares and voted with their mouse clicks. Oh well.

Lightsaber

This is too narrow a view point IMO. Maybe in the US where most cities have just the one airport, the people of that city travel to the same place and will be more price sensitive to get from A to B as why not if extra service doesn't mean anything, but in the sprawling London & SE region its not that straight forward. If you live in Brighton say on the south coast of England and skyscanner (If FR would ever allow it) comes up with STN-MAD with FR being £3 cheaper than EZ at LGW on same route, you wouldn't pick the cheapest flight. The costs to get to STN verses LGW are probably more than £50 extra. The £3 extra that BA would incur with the extra costs, they could pass on and no one would even batter an eyelid. Instead they consistently get barraged in the press, rightly so in many peoples opinion, of worse and deteriorating service.

It is right to say that when the LCC came to Europe it gave the legacy carriers a kick up their backside and made them really knuckle down to be more efficient. The legacy carriers like BA did suddenly have to compete against airlines offering fares 50% plus cheaper in certain circumstances and this obviously involved a lot of restructuring and cutting of costs (on the plane and off), to compete in the new world order. For sure people are going to turn their nose up when fares are more than double what others are offering for a short haul O&D. BA was an excellent example of this new age restructuring done well compared to the mess at the the likes of AF etc, however it seems to be creating itself into a victim of its own strangely created Alex Cruz mindset. It is one thing to be a lot more competitive and cut out corporate fat so the delta between a BA fare and a LCC EZ fare is nowhere near where it was, and still keep the airline profitable, but turning it into a budget airline is very different. I now hear a lot of OW Emerald level card holders/BA frequent flyers comment they now might as well just choose the cheapest between BA or EZ at LGW etc because whats the point of paying more when they are basically exactly the same these days? No one is saying it should be like the 'glory days' where there was a practical free bar for as much as you could guzzle down and gourmet meals on demand on a short hop to Paris at the back of the plane, but for the small cost that the tea/drinks/ snacks BA will incur with their purchasing power, it seems a lot of painful poor PR and lost top line revenue that could be avoided.

Ziyulu

Thu May 23, 2019 12:39 am

Can anyone imagine any 5 star carrier starting BOB? Today, we have 4 star carriers doing that including NZ and BA.

Junglejames

Thu May 23, 2019 3:48 am

BA777FO wrote:
AML was a lot different to the current LGW operation. The refreshed 10-abreast 777s are scoring higher customer satisfaction results than the current 9-abreast ones. BA is about one of the last airlines to do it on the 777 and it's working well. Try it, you might be pleasantly surprised. I'd expect the RR 777s at Heathrow to get the refresh, in fact the 3 class ones are already planned to get it, but they may find their way to LGW as A350s take over BLR, EZE, BKK etc eventually.

Short haul was a disaster 10 years ago. It's been completely transformed and now turns a profit in its own right.

Sorry, but now we are going into the realms of fantasy.
So they score higher than the current aircraft. That's comparing new interior v old interior. Completely unfair. You need to compare new 9 abreast v new 10 abreast. Do that, and the 10 abreast cannot win. At best, some will say they don't notice any difference.

However, let's think back to what happened the last time. People complained and BA had to fit 9 abreast.
What happened when they introduced the 787. People complained.

As for me trying it. I've tried plenty of 10 abreast 777s. Awful things. I've tried BA 9 abreast. It's like a different world.
Singapore and BAs 777s (proper config) are the only 777s worth flying on.
BA are making money. They are able to charge nice high fares long haul, and they fill their planes. So there is no need to join the race to the bottom in this regard. Why leave Singapore as my only 5 star airline. Can't we have Singapore and BA?

If Heathrow do see it, that will mean BA lied in their initial PR. It is meant to be Gatwick routes that compete with Norwegian.
But it would be a bit strange to refit the Heathrow aircraft twice. I've already been on Heathrow 777s that have the new interior and 9 abreast.
In fact, I've heard even the Gatwick 4 class aircraft are staying 9 abreast, so I doubt Heathrow 4 class will get it, certainly not considering they are already refurbished.

Sorry, this I will never forgive. 777s are designed as 9 abreast.

I struggle to accept squeezing too many seats in the 787s, and actively avoid the things if I can, but this is taking the pee, especially as they know what happened before.

itripreport

Thu May 23, 2019 4:52 am

VSMUT wrote:
All bakeries in my area give free coffee or tea, no purchase required.

WOAH WOAH WOAH WOAH there... where do you live.

BA777FO

Thu May 23, 2019 11:17 am

Junglejames wrote:
BA777FO wrote:

So they score higher than the current aircraft. That's comparing new interior v old interior. Completely unfair. You need to compare new 9 abreast v new 10 abreast. Do that, and the 10 abreast cannot win. At best, some will say they don't notice any difference.

However, let's think back to what happened the last time. People complained and BA had to fit 9 abreast.

As for me trying it. I've tried plenty of 10 abreast 777s. Awful things. I've tried BA 9 abreast. It's like a different world.
BA are making money. They are able to charge nice high fares long haul, and they fill their planes. So there is no need to join the race to the bottom in this regard. Why leave Singapore as my only 5 star airline. Can't we have Singapore and BA?

If Heathrow do see it, that will mean BA lied in their initial PR. It is meant to be Gatwick routes that compete with Norwegian.
But it would be a bit strange to refit the Heathrow aircraft twice. I've already been on Heathrow 777s that have the new interior and 9 abreast.
In fact, I've heard even the Gatwick 4 class aircraft are staying 9 abreast, so I doubt Heathrow 4 class will get it, certainly not considering they are already refurbished.

I struggle to accept squeezing too many seats in the 787s, and actively avoid the things if I can, but this is taking the pee, especially as they know what happened before.

Actually, a lot of families, typically 2 parents and 2 kids, are now happy they can sit altogether in the 4 middle seats and not have to split across aisles. Of course, the 10 abreast refit has come with upgrades to IFE, power points and newer cabins but the facts don't lie - people prefer the new cabin, irrespective of the 10 abreast. The seat is about 0.5" narrower, to most people it's imperceptible. So it's not fantasy, it's fact: the new cabins score higher.

People complain about 9-abreast 787s? Maybe on here, again, the 787 scores highly for customer satisfaction. As I said before, the AML 777s were a completely different proposition.

BA lied in their initial PR? How so? They never said it was exclusive to Gatwick. Can you provide evidence that they said that? As the current plan stands, only the LHR based 3 class 777s are due for the refit and they've been earmarked to transfer to LGW once complete. All of the 4-class LGW 777s have already been refitted 10 abreast in World Traveller in a 14F/48J/40W/134Y configuration. The Heathrow aircraft will need to get the Club suite eventually, they'll probably be among the last, but no doubt they'll receive it too.

The thing is, BA isn't just competing with Norwegian but the likes of United, Air France, Emirates etc who fly 10 abreast 777s.

So far, so good. Revenue on the 777 LGW refitted aircraft is up 20%, customer satisfaction scores are higher, load factors and passenger numbers are all higher. Apart from a handful of sticklers who claim they'll actively avoid 10 abreast 777s most people have received the new cabin really well.

Rudenko

Thu May 23, 2019 3:28 pm

BA777FO wrote:
Junglejames wrote:
BA777FO wrote:

Actually, a lot of families, typically 2 parents and 2 kids, are now happy they can sit altogether in the 4 middle seats and not have to split across aisles. Of course, the 10 abreast refit has come with upgrades to IFE, power points and newer cabins but the facts don't lie - people prefer the new cabin, irrespective of the 10 abreast. The seat is about 0.5" narrower, to most people it's imperceptible. So it's not fantasy, it's fact: the new cabins score higher.

People complain about 9-abreast 787s? Maybe on here, again, the 787 scores highly for customer satisfaction. As I said before, the AML 777s were a completely different proposition.

BA lied in their initial PR? How so? They never said it was exclusive to Gatwick. Can you provide evidence that they said that? As the current plan stands, only the LHR based 3 class 777s are due for the refit and they've been earmarked to transfer to LGW once complete. All of the 4-class LGW 777s have already been refitted 10 abreast in World Traveller in a 14F/48J/40W/134Y configuration. The Heathrow aircraft will need to get the Club suite eventually, they'll probably be among the last, but no doubt they'll receive it too.

The thing is, BA isn't just competing with Norwegian but the likes of United, Air France, Emirates etc who fly 10 abreast 777s.

So far, so good. Revenue on the 777 LGW refitted aircraft is up 20%, customer satisfaction scores are higher, load factors and passenger numbers are all higher. Apart from a handful of sticklers who claim they'll actively avoid 10 abreast 777s most people have received the new cabin really well.

I wonder if the BKK will shift down there once the refit is done?
At least with more seats,better for staff travel perhaps?

BA777FO

Fri May 24, 2019 8:41 am

Rudenko wrote:
BA777FO wrote:
Junglejames wrote:

I wonder if the BKK will shift down there once the refit is done?
At least with more seats,better for staff travel perhaps?

I don't think so - BKK still has a significant number of connections for which Heathrow is better placed than Gatwick. The thing with staff travel is for a lot of staff, they only use their J or F priority ticket rather than a whole bunch of ID90s. The new densified aircraft with only 32 Club seats makes staff travel a nightmare if you're using your ID100 and end up in a World Traveller seat...if you're lucky! I fly a lot of the new densified 777s from Gatwick and we hardly ever have any J or W seats left over for staff and often go full in Y too.

I think when the A350 fleet grows it'll pick up the likes of BKK, EZE and it's already taken over BLR. It'll probably do a few other Indian frequencies and maybe a bit of Africa/USA/Middle East too. Hopefully that'll allow the LGW 777 fleet to expand. But the most logical answer isn't always the route BA takes, time will tell!

sergegva

Sat Jul 06, 2019 3:31 am

I just took two european BA flights today and can confirm that the "afternoon tea" offer without tea is still in a good position in the buy on board menu.

More annoying, I thought they were still serving water when the buy on board cart come in. Well, no, no, no. You have to specifically ask a flight attendant for a glass of water, probably at a time when they're not busy with the cart service.

I have nothing against the concept of low prices with surcharges on demand when it comes to on-board space, food, seat selection, checked baggage, entertainment... But providing drinking water to passengers who are not allowed to take any liquids with them after security seems to me to be part of the sphere of public health, no more and no less. Having to beg for water goes too far. It's the same as a paid toilet during the flight.

kimimm19

Sat Jul 06, 2019 7:46 am

Well too be honest, BA in particular is the legacy carrier in Europe that be considered a low-cost. The no frills thing definitely applies. The only legacy thing about them is being able to connect and general on-time performance.

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos