RyanairGuru
Topic Author

Taiwan becomes first Asian country to legalise same sex marriage

Fri May 17, 2019 12:26 pm

Taiwan (ROC) today legalised same sex marriage.

I saw an interview on the ABC (Australia) with one of the leaders of the Taiwanese same sex marriage movement saying that this legislation achieves 95% of their goals, but there is still ground to be made in areas such as adoption rights. Nonetheless this is an important and exciting step forward for Taiwan.

https://www.google.com/amp/amp.abc.net. ... e/11124868
Worked Hard, Flew Right

einsteinboricua

Re: Taiwan becomes first Asian country to legalise same sex marriage

Fri May 17, 2019 5:58 pm

RyanairGuru wrote:
this legislation achieves 95% of their goals, but there is still ground to be made in areas such as adoption rights.

And this is why certain places see success while others are still stuck. I'd rather take 90% of what I want than to throw it away because I didn't get 100%.

No doubt there will be activists who support marriage equality and will find flaws with this, despite the fact that legalization in and of itself is a huge step.
"You haven't seen a tree until you've seen its shadow from the sky."

atomicstar

Fri May 17, 2019 9:56 pm

For desktop users, here’s a non-AMP link: https://www.abc.net.au/news/2019-05-17/ ... e/11124868

I believe that soon, more Asian countries will follow and also legalize same-sex marriage. It’s a major change for people in the homosexuality community.

c933103

Sat May 18, 2019 1:39 am

Background: Taiwanese court ruled that the marriage act restricting marriage to between a man and a woman unconstitutional, so they're going to change the marriage act, but then different opinions emerged on the society, then both sides decided to take the issue to referendum, and issues being voted on includes whether marriage should be limited to between a man and a woman, whether a separate law should be setup for homosexual marriage or should the existing law be amended to adopt homosexual marriage, and whether sex ed about homosexuality should be allowed below high school. The "Family Protection Alliance" won the referendum by a resounding majority, but as referendum result cannot overshadow constitution and one of the topic the anti LGBT alliance proposed was to exclude homosexual marriage from the ordinary marriage law by legislating a new law, so that become the option that they are now opting for.
This is a placeholder.