User avatar
kitplane01
Topic Author
Posts: 1350
Joined: Thu Jun 16, 2016 5:58 am

Help me buy for my new museum

Sat May 18, 2019 7:20 am

Luckily I'm a billionaire. And I like aviation, so I figured I'd start my own aviation museum. On my ranch I have space for ten planes. I'm pretty sure I can get anything that exists, so go wild.

What I have planned so far ..

A 707 in Pan Am colors
A 747-100 in TWA colors.
A Concorde in British Airways colors
A DC-3 in military drab
A Sanders-Row Princess flying boat in BOAC colors

Anyone one to help my pick more planes?
 
Airstud
Posts: 4687
Joined: Wed Nov 29, 2000 11:57 am

Re: Help me buy for my new museum

Sat May 18, 2019 7:23 am

I require that the museum feature BAC 1-11, BAe 146, and Dornier 228.
Pancakes are delicious.
 
User avatar
kitplane01
Topic Author
Posts: 1350
Joined: Thu Jun 16, 2016 5:58 am

Re: Help me buy for my new museum

Sat May 18, 2019 7:26 am

Airstud wrote:
I require that the museum feature BAC 1-11, BAe 146, and Dornier 228.


Why? How are those three of the top ten most interesting airliners ever made? I wouldn't have picked them for the 10 ten most interesting British planes ever made (though the Bae-146 is kind of a unique configuration for it's size). And why the Do-228? That's kind of boring (and not British, I'm aware)
 
User avatar
LH748
Posts: 388
Joined: Fri Jan 22, 2016 10:44 am

Re: Help me buy for my new museum

Sat May 18, 2019 10:21 am

You definitely need some Soviet beauties:
An IL62, IL86, TU154 and a Yak40 would be a nice addition.
306 310 318 319 320 321 333 343 388 ATR72 733 737 738 739 743 744 748 752 753 763 764 772 77W 788 CRJ7 CRJ9 E170 F100 MD11 RJ1H
AA AB AC AF AK AZ BA DE DL EW FD FR HF HG IB IR MF KU LH LT LX OD TG TK TP UA VJ VN WN W6 YP YW
 
atomicstar
Posts: 90
Joined: Mon Apr 15, 2019 10:10 pm

Re: Help me buy for my new museum

Sun May 19, 2019 12:39 am

Here’s some cool planes:

  • A replica Boeing Model 1
  • Definitely a Concorde
  • B-52
  • B-2 Spirit stealth bomber
  • Definitely a DC-3
  • Maybe a 737-200
  • BAE 146
  • DC-8
  • Convair 880

The other thing I am also thinking about whether one that’s for sale exists (whether it is the full airplane, an airplane without engines, or just a fuselage).
 
TheEuphorian
Posts: 352
Joined: Tue Jan 03, 2017 9:35 am

Re: Help me buy for my new museum

Sun May 19, 2019 1:43 am

maybe a Fokker 28?
 
IPFreely
Posts: 2427
Joined: Sun Dec 24, 2006 8:26 am

Re: Help me buy for my new museum

Sun May 19, 2019 4:07 am

kitplane01 wrote:
On my ranch I have space for ten planes.


Only ten? Doesn't sound like much of a ranch. More like a big yard.
 
User avatar
kitplane01
Topic Author
Posts: 1350
Joined: Thu Jun 16, 2016 5:58 am

Re: Help me buy for my new museum

Sun May 19, 2019 6:36 am

atomicstar wrote:
Here’s some cool planes:

  • A replica Boeing Model 1
  • Definitely a Concorde
  • B-52
  • B-2 Spirit stealth bomber
  • Definitely a DC-3
  • Maybe a 737-200
  • BAE 146
  • DC-8
  • Convair 880

The other thing I am also thinking about whether one that’s for sale exists (whether it is the full airplane, an airplane without engines, or just a fuselage).


I love the idea of the Convair 880. With enough money, can I get one? Do any exist?
 
User avatar
TheFlyingDisk
Posts: 1851
Joined: Mon Jun 09, 2008 12:43 pm

Re: Help me buy for my new museum

Sun May 19, 2019 10:48 am

What about a DC-10? It's significance? Probably as the deadliest widebody jet aircraft in history.
I FLY KLM+ALASKA+QATAR+MALAYSIA+AIRASIA+MALINDO
 
TheEuphorian
Posts: 352
Joined: Tue Jan 03, 2017 9:35 am

Re: Help me buy for my new museum

Sun May 19, 2019 1:29 pm

Or, the A340-500 seems better, and there's a bunch of them parked in LDE and DMK.
 
atomicstar
Posts: 90
Joined: Mon Apr 15, 2019 10:10 pm

Re: Help me buy for my new museum

Sun May 19, 2019 4:20 pm

kitplane01 wrote:
I love the idea of the Convair 880. With enough money, can I get one? Do any exist?


While searching on Google, I found this http://www.juliensauctions.com/auctions ... index.html

It was originally owned by Delta, and later Elvis Presley purchased it to use as his private jet.

TheFlyingDisk wrote:
What about a DC-10? It's significance? Probably as the deadliest widebody jet aircraft in history.


Found a DC-10F for sale. There’s probably more out there for sale, if you look at boneyard auctions. http://www.aircraftbargains.com/ad/ad6705.asp

By searching on Airfleets, this plane has been in service originally a passenger plane, and sold to different airlines and eventually a freighter, and now stored. But I’m not sure if a DC-10 passenger jet that’s been stored for so many years still exists.
 
User avatar
kitplane01
Topic Author
Posts: 1350
Joined: Thu Jun 16, 2016 5:58 am

Re: Help me buy for my new museum

Mon May 20, 2019 1:03 am

Here is my current list:

A 707 in Pan Am colors
A 747-100 in TWA colors.
A Concorde in British Airways colors
A DC-3 in military drab
A Sanders-Row Princess flying boat in BOAC colors
A DC-10F in Fed-EX colors
A Convair 880 painted like Elvis
A Bae-146 painted like ???
An IL-62 painted by Aeroflot

I need one more? Maybe something early, like a Comet or a DC-4 or a Boeing Model 1, or a ....
 
jonnyclam123
Posts: 105
Joined: Sat May 21, 2016 11:49 pm

Re: Help me buy for my new museum

Mon May 20, 2019 2:39 am

Wright Flyer
 
ZKNCI
Posts: 59
Joined: Wed Sep 12, 2012 8:38 pm

Re: Help me buy for my new museum

Mon May 20, 2019 6:58 am

atomicstar wrote:
kitplane01 wrote:
I love the idea of the Convair 880. With enough money, can I get one? Do any exist?


While searching on Google, I found this http://www.juliensauctions.com/auctions ... index.html

It was originally owned by Delta, and later Elvis Presley purchased it to use as his private jet.

Otherwise there's the TWA one at Mojave..
 
VSMUT
Posts: 3050
Joined: Mon Aug 08, 2016 11:40 am

Re: Help me buy for my new museum

Mon May 20, 2019 12:21 pm

kitplane01 wrote:
Luckily I'm a billionaire. And I like aviation, so I figured I'd start my own aviation museum. On my ranch I have space for ten planes. I'm pretty sure I can get anything that exists, so go wild.

What I have planned so far ..

A 707 in Pan Am colors
A 747-100 in TWA colors.
A Concorde in British Airways colors
A DC-3 in military drab
A Sanders-Row Princess flying boat in BOAC colors

Anyone one to help my pick more planes?


You need a Cessna 172.
 
User avatar
Seabear
Posts: 284
Joined: Fri Jun 17, 2016 3:05 pm

Re: Help me buy for my new museum

Mon May 20, 2019 2:57 pm

A Space Shuttle Orbiter.
 
acjbbj
Posts: 310
Joined: Sat Mar 17, 2018 7:06 pm

Re: Help me buy for my new museum

Mon May 20, 2019 3:27 pm

Md-11 and A340-300 and A340-600
Douglas Aircraft Company
Born: 22 July 1921 (Santa Monica, CA)
Died: 23 May 2006 (Long Beach, CA), age 84 years 10 months 1 day
You will be missed.
 
atomicstar
Posts: 90
Joined: Mon Apr 15, 2019 10:10 pm

Re: Help me buy for my new museum

Mon May 20, 2019 9:12 pm

kitplane01 wrote:
Here is my current list:

A 707 in Pan Am colors
A 747-100 in TWA colors.
A Concorde in British Airways colors
A DC-3 in military drab
A Sanders-Row Princess flying boat in BOAC colors
A DC-10F in Fed-EX colors
A Convair 880 painted like Elvis
A Bae-146 painted like ???
An IL-62 painted by Aeroflot

I need one more? Maybe something early, like a Comet or a DC-4 or a Boeing Model 1, or a ....


It will be really cool to get something historical such as a Comet, but I wonder if there are any that exist that are for sale and not already at a museum or scrapped. Because only a few Boeing Model 1 were built (it was supposed to be a prototype), I think you can probably build a replica with wood for memorabilia.

Since FedEx is retiring their DC-10s in the next couple years, you might have good luck getting one. Hopefully, they don’t strip the paint and leave the FedEx logo on it.

As for some of the other passenger planes, I hope you can also find one that has the interior remaining, as it is always a cool thing at museums to be able to go inside.

ZKNCI wrote:
atomicstar wrote:
kitplane01 wrote:
I love the idea of the Convair 880. With enough money, can I get one? Do any exist?


While searching on Google, I found this http://www.juliensauctions.com/auctions ... index.html

It was originally owned by Delta, and later Elvis Presley purchased it to use as his private jet.

Otherwise there's the TWA one at Mojave..


That’s cool. I wonder how much it is for sale, probably best if it has the interior remaining as well.
 
n729pa
Posts: 1102
Joined: Thu Jan 20, 2011 6:16 pm

Re: Help me buy for my new museum

Wed May 22, 2019 7:52 pm

Buy John Travolta's Qantas 707 and one of the A380s being parted out and turn it into a hotel for your visitors...
 
User avatar
Flyingdevil737
Posts: 203
Joined: Wed Sep 26, 2018 10:26 pm

Re: Help me buy for my new museum

Thu May 23, 2019 3:23 am

n729pa wrote:
Buy John Travolta's Qantas 707 and one of the A380s being parted out and turn it into a hotel for your visitors...


Travolta’s 707 is already headed to the HARS museum in Sydney, by the way....
And this, ladies and gentlemen, is the very first Fokker airplane built in the world. The Dutch call it the mother Fokker.
 
flipdewaf
Posts: 2900
Joined: Thu Jul 20, 2006 6:28 am

Re: Help me buy for my new museum

Thu May 23, 2019 11:00 am

Vulcan.
Image
 
User avatar
Devilfish
Posts: 6522
Joined: Tue Jan 24, 2006 7:52 am

Re: Help me buy for my new museum

Wed May 29, 2019 11:26 am

atomicstar wrote:
The other thing I am also thinking about whether one that’s for sale exists (whether it is the full airplane, an airplane without engines, or just a fuselage).

If you have ~$12M to spare, then a very famous pair is available..... :bigthumbsup: .....

https://www.flightglobal.com/news/artic ... ut-458526/

"Everyone is entitled to my opinion." - Garfield
 
atomicstar
Posts: 90
Joined: Mon Apr 15, 2019 10:10 pm

Re: Help me buy for my new museum

Thu May 30, 2019 11:35 am

Devilfish wrote:
atomicstar wrote:
The other thing I am also thinking about whether one that’s for sale exists (whether it is the full airplane, an airplane without engines, or just a fuselage).

If you have ~$12M to spare, then a very famous pair is available..... :bigthumbsup: .....

https://www.flightglobal.com/news/artic ... ut-458526/



I was also hoping that there is a 747-100 or 747-200 for sale, but they are rare and there’s only a few left in use for commercial service. But look in boneyard.
 
Aurantiaco
Posts: 65
Joined: Thu May 30, 2019 6:21 pm

Re: Help me buy for my new museum

Fri May 31, 2019 7:11 pm

Pretty cool concepts, but a Concorde is just a bit absurd. The remaining Concordes are in museums and I don’t think those said museums would give up that aircraft so easily.

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 27 guests

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos