Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

 
jhsusman
Topic Author
Posts: 78
Joined: Tue Nov 10, 2015 10:06 pm

Most Well-Connected Airports

Tue May 21, 2019 12:32 pm

From the data below (thanks DEN1895) we know that Denver is the most well connected domestic US station and O'Hare maintains the title of most connected global US-based station. Question: What are the most well connected international hubs (either here in the US or overseas)?

Also - if you fast forward to 2025, what airports would you imagine would be on the top of this list? Any changes?

........Total Stations Served......Domestic Stations.....International Stations
DEN 214.....................................188................26
ATL 247......................................168................79
ORD 261....................................186................75
DFW 249....................................186................63
 
sw733
Posts: 5881
Joined: Wed Feb 25, 2004 6:19 am

Re: Most Well-Connected Airports

Tue May 21, 2019 1:04 pm

I'm confused, you say ORD is the most connected global US station, but your numbers show ATL is...?
 
User avatar
ACCS300
Posts: 570
Joined: Thu Jun 16, 2016 4:05 pm

Re: Most Well-Connected Airports

Tue May 21, 2019 1:11 pm

Confused by the thread title. Is this for US airports only? Your list shows only US airports.
 
Cubsrule
Posts: 14479
Joined: Sat May 15, 2004 12:13 pm

Re: Most Well-Connected Airports

Tue May 21, 2019 1:43 pm

ACCS300 wrote:
Confused by the thread title. Is this for US airports only? Your list shows only US airports.


I don't know the data, but US airports will always be overrepresented in this type of list because the US has a well-developed regional network and most big US hubs have far fewer operational constraints than hubs elsewhere in the world. DXB is a hub to behold but has no flights analogous to ORD-PAH or DEN-VEL.
I can't decide whether I miss the tulip or the bowling shoe more
 
User avatar
PatrickZ80
Posts: 4265
Joined: Tue Jul 13, 2010 5:33 am

Re: Most Well-Connected Airports

Tue May 21, 2019 5:34 pm

In some cases a destination can be served from an airport on ground transport, in that case it is still connected but it doesn't have a flight. This is specially true in Europe where ground transport is much further developed than in the USA.

For example here in the Netherlands there are no domestic flights, but KLM has busses going to various places in the Netherlands from Amsterdam airport. There is also a railway station right under the main terminal from where you can catch a train to just about anywhere in and around the Netherlands.

That way, even with less flights, an airport can still be better connected.
 
bluefrog
Posts: 57
Joined: Mon Apr 16, 2018 11:22 am

Re: Most Well-Connected Airports

Tue May 21, 2019 7:57 pm

sorry to you Americans but i'd love to know why DEN has so many domestic flights but lags way behind on international flights ?living in France i only know Denver as a gateway to skiing ,is this the reason so many dom flights ?
 
User avatar
PatrickZ80
Posts: 4265
Joined: Tue Jul 13, 2010 5:33 am

Re: Most Well-Connected Airports

Tue May 21, 2019 8:56 pm

bluefrog wrote:
sorry to you Americans but i'd love to know why DEN has so many domestic flights but lags way behind on international flights ?living in France i only know Denver as a gateway to skiing ,is this the reason so many dom flights ?


It's mainly because America totally lacks ground transportation. Where in Europe you take the train, in America you got no other choice but to fly. There are no trains.

If you could replace all short haul flights at Denver with ground transportation like is the case in Europe, Denver would end up being only a medium-sized airport. The majority of it's flights can be made redundant by investing in ground transportation, but unlike Europe America never did invest in ground transportation.
 
77H
Posts: 1570
Joined: Mon Sep 19, 2016 11:27 pm

Re: Most Well-Connected Airports

Wed May 22, 2019 12:39 pm

PatrickZ80 wrote:
bluefrog wrote:
sorry to you Americans but i'd love to know why DEN has so many domestic flights but lags way behind on international flights ?living in France i only know Denver as a gateway to skiing ,is this the reason so many dom flights ?


It's mainly because America totally lacks ground transportation. Where in Europe you take the train, in America you got no other choice but to fly. There are no trains.

If you could replace all short haul flights at Denver with ground transportation like is the case in Europe, Denver would end up being only a medium-sized airport. The majority of it's flights can be made redundant by investing in ground transportation, but unlike Europe America never did invest in ground transportation.


I think geography plays a role here. The US has states larger than most European countries. I’ll grant you that the BosWash corridor could have better ground transport but DEN is isolated from other large markets making ground transport prohibitive. The closest “major city” to DEN is 391 mi away through mountainous terrain.

77H
 
desertjets
Posts: 7693
Joined: Fri Feb 18, 2000 3:12 pm

Re: Most Well-Connected Airports

Thu May 23, 2019 9:12 pm

PatrickZ80 wrote:

If you could replace all short haul flights at Denver with ground transportation like is the case in Europe, Denver would end up being only a medium-sized airport. The majority of it's flights can be made redundant by investing in ground transportation, but unlike Europe America never did invest in ground transportation.


You may want to look at a map for Denver, outside of the front range (Pueblo to Cheyenne give or take) there are not any major population centers (let's say metros of >500k) within about 500 miles. Which is why Denver has always had more airline service than a city of its size would usually support. Big city kinda more less in the middle of nowhere.
Stop drop and roll will not save you in hell. --- seen on a church marque in rural Virginia
 
Wednesdayite
Posts: 224
Joined: Sun Feb 19, 2017 8:28 pm

Re: Most Well-Connected Airports

Fri May 24, 2019 1:05 am

Denver is also a commercial, financial, and legal center. And a tech hub.

It’s not just cows and skiing.
A318/19/20/21/30/40. B717/27/37/47/57/67/77/87. CRJ2/7. ERJ145/175/190. FKR50. IL62. MD11/82/83/88. TU154.
AA AC AF AI AR AS AT AV AZ BA BW BY CO DA DL F9 FR JJ KL LH MA NW NZ OS RG SU TK U2 UA US VS WN
 
IPFreely
Posts: 2607
Joined: Sun Dec 24, 2006 8:26 am

Re: Most Well-Connected Airports

Fri May 24, 2019 1:43 am

PatrickZ80 wrote:
It's mainly because America totally lacks ground transportation. Where in Europe you take the train, in America you got no other choice but to fly. There are no trains.


It sounds like you are a typical European who has never visited and travelled in the US. Most Europeans have no concept of distance and time, or what investment it would take to build a rail network and in time to take a train between US cities compared to European cities.

For reference, America's second largest state is approximately the same size as all of central Europe. A rail network inside that red border can get people from Amsterdam to much of Europe. That same rail network in the US would cover 7% of the country.

Image

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 29 guests

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos