USAavdork
Topic Author

SY adds seasonal PVD-PUJ

Tue May 21, 2019 10:07 pm

Initially starting Saturdays then increasing to 2x weekly.

https://pbn.com/sun-country-airlines-ad ... -republic/

stl07

Re: SY adds seasonal PVD-PUJ

Tue May 21, 2019 10:29 pm

Unique add, nice to see. They have a habit of expanding at stations they recently started flying to
Interesting how every thread is spammed with "bring back paid membership, there are too many spammers"

RL757PVD

Tue May 21, 2019 11:24 pm

PUJ is a unique add on two different fronts . In addition to Punta Cana being one of the more popular Caribbean destinations for the northeast, The Dominican demographic is to Rhode Island what the Puerto Rican population is to BDL.
Experience is what you get when what you thought would work out didn't!

FlyHappy

Wed May 22, 2019 12:38 am

RL757PVD wrote:
PUJ is a unique add on two different fronts . In addition to Punta Cana being one of the more popular Caribbean destinations for the northeast, The Dominican demographic is to Rhode Island what the Puerto Rican population is to BDL.

Would there really be any significant VFR to PUJ? I am dubious. Seems like that corner of the island isn't really populous outside of those directly involved in the tourist trade. I'd imagine that most VFR goes to/from Santa Domingo. PUJ airport looked like a 100% tourist facility swimming with Canadians, Russians and the token USAicans.

RL757PVD

Wed May 22, 2019 12:43 am

FlyHappy wrote:
RL757PVD wrote:

Would there really be any significant VFR to PUJ? I am dubious. Seems like that corner of the island isn't really populous outside of those directly involved in the tourist trade. I'd imagine that most VFR goes to/from Santa Domingo. PUJ airport looked like a 100% tourist facility swimming with Canadians, Russians and the token USAicans.

SDQ is certainly the stronger VFR market but a nonstop to PUJ will no doubt attract more or a VFR market compared to a CUN Or an MBJ

PVD757

Wed May 22, 2019 12:44 am

It’s only a 2 hour drive from PUJ to SDQ.

stl07

Wed May 22, 2019 12:46 am

PVD757 wrote:

That's an understatement but I get the point. Still, wouldn't that mean it may be faster to take another airline and connect in a hub to SDQ?
Interesting how every thread is spammed with "bring back paid membership, there are too many spammers"

MIflyer12

Wed May 22, 2019 1:35 am

RL757PVD wrote:

Huh? This is a classic Northeast - beach market play to Dominican all-inclusives. It's got squat to do with VFR.

RL757PVD

Wed May 22, 2019 1:38 am

[twoid][/twoid]
MIflyer12 wrote:
RL757PVD wrote:

Huh? This is a classic Northeast - beach market play to Dominican all-inclusives. It's got squat to do with VFR.

Have you been to Rhode Island? The Dominican population is the largest segment of the Latino population in the state. It’s definitely beach and leisure driven but this will be an added boost.

EADSYABSOB73857

Wed May 22, 2019 2:19 am

PVD757 wrote:

So... No. if you consider how we travel between cities in the U.S... maybe. But in the Dominican Republic, Santo Domingo to Punta Cana is a full day journey. Tourists are not traveling to Santo Domingo, renting a car, and driving to Punta Cana. 1) Language barrier would be a serious issue; 2) infrastructure in the DR is very poor. I spent over a year in the Dominican Republic, and last year my cousin tried this exact trip (Fly into Santo Domingo for the cheaper fare and travel to Punta Cana), and it took him over 6 hours.

PVD757

Wed May 22, 2019 2:39 am

Ok, ok. There will never be any VFR passengers on these flights, only tourists and it’s an all day journey to travel from PUJ to SDQ. I was clearly misinformed by the mayor of Providence, the airport CEO, oh and the airline itself that they all expect a mix of traffic on these flights. They should have checked with the a.net experts before launching this route.

https://www.providencejournal.com/news/ ... n-republic

stl07

Wed May 22, 2019 2:53 am

PVD757 wrote:
Ok, ok. There will never be any VFR passengers on these flights, only tourists and it’s an all day journey to travel from PUJ to SDQ. I was clearly misinformed by the mayor of Providence, the airport CEO, oh and the airline itself that they all expect a mix of traffic on these flights. They should have checked with the a.net experts before launching this route.

Not everyone disagreed with you

PVD757

Wed May 22, 2019 3:01 am

stl07 wrote:
PVD757 wrote:

And I sincerely thank those of you for that. :)

danipawa

Wed May 22, 2019 12:34 pm

Very good addition to PUJ, lot of dominicans in that area. There is rumors about Jetblue adding Buffalo, a VFR route too for the dominicans

Caribbean007

Wed May 22, 2019 8:21 pm

stl07 wrote:
PVD757 wrote:

Im Dominican and actually from PUJ Airport to Santo Domingo City is a 3 hrs trip by car, using public transportation could be little more as you have to wait for the bus depart and go from airport to the terminal.

I dont think a lot Dominicans will board Suncuntry fligh for VFR, only those few living nearby Punta Cana and with the prices they says is not worth land there, there as is the double of distance than drive to Boston and Land in Santo Domingo, or just fly to a hub with fast conection to SDQ, JFK has 9 flights a day to SDQ, EWR has 4 flights a day to SDQ

As a note arround only 1% of Dominicans residents in Dominican Republic use PUJ airport, and the rest of Dominicans landing in PUJ come with packages

In 2018 PUJ arrived 30,024 Dominicans living aboard while SDQ arrived 477,198 Dominicans living aboard, in the other hand we have the Dominicans living in the Dominican Republic wich PUJ arrived 22,783 Dominicans and SDQ arrived 427,348

SDQ closed 2018 with 1,837,689 pax landing.
PUJ closed 2018 with 3,944,536 pax landing

Buffalomatt1027

Thu May 23, 2019 3:49 am

danipawa wrote:
Very good addition to PUJ, lot of dominicans in that area. There is rumors about Jetblue adding Buffalo, a VFR route too for the dominicans

where did you see or hear about this?

FlyHappy

Thu May 23, 2019 4:01 am

Caribbean007 wrote:

Im Dominican and actually from PUJ Airport to Santo Domingo City is a 3 hrs trip by car, using public transportation could be little more as you have to wait for the bus depart and go from airport to the terminal.

I dont think a lot Dominicans will board Suncuntry fligh for VFR, only those few living nearby Punta Cana and with the prices they says is not worth land there, there as is the double of distance than drive to Boston and Land in Santo Domingo, or just fly to a hub with fast conection to SDQ, JFK has 9 flights a day to SDQ, EWR has 4 flights a day to SDQ

As a note arround only 1% of Dominicans residents in Dominican Republic use PUJ airport, and the rest of Dominicans landing in PUJ come with packages

In 2018 PUJ arrived 30,024 Dominicans living aboard while SDQ arrived 477,198 Dominicans living aboard, in the other hand we have the Dominicans living in the Dominican Republic wich PUJ arrived 22,783 Dominicans and SDQ arrived 427,348

Outstanding personal anecdote and hard data (though I have no idea where its from). Certainly jives with what I saw with my own eyes, Leisure focused, seasonal routes rarely are the most appealing for VFR.

Caribbean007

Thu May 23, 2019 11:12 am

Last edited by Caribbean007 on Thu May 23, 2019 11:18 am, edited 1 time in total.

Caribbean007

Thu May 23, 2019 11:14 am

Caribbean007 wrote:
FlyHappy wrote:
Caribbean007 wrote:

Outstanding personal anecdote and hard data (though I have no idea where its from). Certainly jives with what I saw with my own eyes, Leisure focused, seasonal routes rarely are the most appealing for VFR.

We can say comparing the amount of Dominicans using PUJ with the tourist that PUJ is a totally leisure airport, arround 1% of Dominicans use this airport only. The statistics of turism are open in the Dominican Republic Central Bank webpage and, you can verify here year by year and by aiports. https://www.bancentral.gov.do/a/d/2537-sector-turismo

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos