DobboDobbo

Re: Reuters: Virgin Atlantic Close to A330neo order

Mon Jun 17, 2019 12:28 pm

Boeing74741R wrote:
Going by the quantities, I assume these will replace the A332/333's like-for-like.

That was my interpretation as well, albeit there is specific reference to “expansion” in the airbus press release.

I think you could interpret this in one of two ways, either in relation to the 6 options, or because they are replacing 4 A332’s which were brought in to cover B789 downtime (and the replacement of those on a 1:1 basis means an expansion as and when the B789 is online).

Good to see VS position itself well for the future.

azz767

Mon Jun 17, 2019 12:40 pm

DobboDobbo wrote:
Boeing74741R wrote:
Going by the quantities, I assume these will replace the A332/333's like-for-like.

That was my interpretation as well, albeit there is specific reference to “expansion” in the airbus press release.

I think you could interpret this in one of two ways, either in relation to the 6 options, or because they are replacing 4 A332’s which were brought in to cover B789 downtime (and the replacement of those on a 1:1 basis means an expansion as and when the B789 is online).

As I said on another forum the 14 definite will be 1:1 for current A330's (4 -200's and 10 -300's).

The 6 options I think can be looked at in two different ways. Firstly they have bid for TCX's long haul business, which is full of ageing -200's. These could be seen as potential replacements for the TCX fleet should they get it.

Alternatively it has to be seen as growth. You would say particularly at MAN. LHR they won't get slots easily, LGW is scaling down to pretty much MCO and the Caribbean and with the connect airways plan LGW seems to not be involved as has been mentioned by others. That leaves MAN where they have a growing operation and the potential to create a substantial hub there.

DobboDobbo

Mon Jun 17, 2019 1:20 pm

azz767 wrote:
DobboDobbo wrote:
Boeing74741R wrote:

As I said on another forum the 14 definite will be 1:1 for current A330's (4 -200's and 10 -300's).

The 6 options I think can be looked at in two different ways. Firstly they have bid for TCX's long haul business, which is full of ageing -200's. These could be seen as potential replacements for the TCX fleet should they get it.

Alternatively it has to be seen as growth. You would say particularly at MAN. LHR they won't get slots easily, LGW is scaling down to pretty much MCO and the Caribbean and with the connect airways plan LGW seems to not be involved as has been mentioned by others. That leaves MAN where they have a growing operation and the potential to create a substantial hub there.

Cheers - that all seems sensible to me (of course they could not take up the options!)

ORDfan101

Re: Confirmed: Virgin Atlantic ordering/leasing 14 A330-900neo's plus 6 options

Mon Jun 17, 2019 1:51 pm

Does anyone else think an order of a220s and a321s is possible for virgin? They have short and long haul networks but virtually no medium haul network.

Thoughts?

eicvd

Mon Jun 17, 2019 1:58 pm

[threeid][/threeid]
ORDfan101 wrote:
Does anyone else think an order of a220s and a321s is possible for virgin? They have short and long haul networks but virtually no medium haul network.

Thoughts?

No, unless suddenly they get tonnes if LHR slots which is impossible
COYBIB

FabDiva

Mon Jun 17, 2019 2:00 pm

ORDfan101 wrote:

Thoughts?

I could see A220s being used by Connect as a way of expanding, but first they have to get the purchase of Flybe approved (it's currently pending government approval under competition regs) and fix the problems with the Flybe network. I'd say nothing before 2021 at least.

LuxuryTravelled

Re: Virgin Atlantic Close to A330neo order

Mon Jun 17, 2019 5:22 pm

UKFLYER26 wrote:
8herveg wrote:
Would these be to be based in MAN do you think? And to be replaced with the current A330’s?

My guess is MAN/LGW based, I guess some of the existing A330's will be coming to EOL within the next few years. Could also be used to replace some of the Thomas Cook fleet should that deal be approved.

The uk travel trade press release specifically mentioned that they would be based at Heathrow, Gatwick and Manchester for use on a mixture of business and leisure routes.

LuxuryTravelled

Mon Jun 17, 2019 5:27 pm

azz767 wrote:
DobboDobbo wrote:
Boeing74741R wrote:

By no means a done deal in VS acquiring TCX Long Haul, the sort of money which Thomas Cook are asking is (upwards of £1b for the whole airline) is probably more than what Virgin are likely to offer, and Thomas Cook are not selling at any price.

3AWM

Tue Jun 18, 2019 3:30 am

According to Shai Weiss Virgin are expecting growth to come at LHR with a doubling of routes.

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles ... -u-k-deals

User001

Tue Jun 18, 2019 6:45 am

That growth is dependent on Runway 3 being built.

With more legal challenges in the wings, potential anti-R3 prime minister in BoJo coming online and the growing anti Greenhouse Gas lobby particularly targeting aviation, I'll put good money on that runway not being ready by Shai's 2026 target. And in that case, where does the expansion go then?

PW100

Tue Jun 18, 2019 9:22 am

3AWM wrote:
According to Shai Weiss Virgin are expecting growth to come at LHR with a doubling of routes.

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles ... -u-k-deals

I'd expect the lead time of LHR R3 to be significantly longer than the lead time of an A330neo / 787 (or even possible 797 for that matter) . . .
Immigration officer: "What's the purpose of your visit to the USA?" Spotter: "Shooting airliners with my Canon!"

3AWM

Tue Jun 18, 2019 12:13 pm

User001 wrote:

With more legal challenges in the wings, potential anti-R3 prime minister in BoJo coming online and the growing anti Greenhouse Gas lobby particularly targeting aviation, I'll put good money on that runway not being ready by Shai's 2026 target. And in that case, where does the expansion go then?

If they can't see any viable ways to expand they won't take up the options, that is why the additional frames are options.

But in the interim they can keep applying for and re-assigning remedy slots through Flybe and swapping them with unrestricted slots operated by AF/KLM.

The current situation at LHR is actually good for VS as there are so many barriers to entry that stop both new entrants and BA adding services there.

I don't think he is really saying that once or if we get runway 3 at LHR VS are going to add 3 times the number of services in one go as there is an enormous outlay and financial risk associated with that.

I think he is saying that by the time runway 3 comes around they want to have a network that stands up as a competitor to BA rather than what they have now which is portfolio of routes that works because competitors can't enter at LHR.

IndianicWorld

Tue Jun 18, 2019 12:22 pm

I must say I’m pleasantly surprised but also baffled by this decision at the same time.

I can see the logic in taking the A330-900, given it already has the A330-200/300 and will soon have the A350-1000, but with the 787-9 already in the fleet at that size class seemed to be the way they would head to streamline the fleet.

I do like the A330-900 though, as it is an evolution of a frame that has performed well and will offer some synergies with the A350-1000 fleet.

User001

Tue Jun 18, 2019 12:32 pm

3AWM wrote:

But in the interim they can keep applying for and re-assigning remedy slots through Flybe and swapping them with unrestricted slots operated by AF/KLM.

I think he is saying that by the time runway 3 comes around they want to have a network that stands up as a competitor to BA rather than what they have now which is portfolio of routes that works because competitors can't enter at LHR.

But the problem you have here is a paradox situation.
There are no slots to expand in any meaningful way. Remedy and slot swaps will be single figure numbers. You could use the eventual grandfathered flybe slots to operate more long haul but then you are back to square one with regards to the feed grand plan.
You keep the flybe slots for feed then you can't add more long haul.

So, how do you propose they get this network at LHR that stands up to BA ready for if/when R3 ooens as you put it, as there is no slot portfolio to build this up, and remedy slots and swaps will not even begin to cut the mustard at all.

And it doesn't address the fact that R3 still has a big question mark over it. This is a disenfranchised UK, the anti movement is getting stronger by the day so you'd be narrow minded to suggest R3 is a guaranteed runner in the race.

Until then, back to the original question, what is VS plan B, because from where I am sitting, plan B may very well be needed.

3AWM

Tue Jun 18, 2019 12:39 pm

Plan B is not expanding. The last thing VS want to do is treble size overnight. They want to add network destinations a few at time.

If this order was about trebling in size they would have 100 options not 6.

Whichever way you want to look at it his stated intent is to grow at LHR.

DobboDobbo

Tue Jun 18, 2019 1:11 pm

3AWM wrote:
Whichever way you want to look at it his stated intent is to grow at LHR.

That much is true but its not all he said about growth opportunities in the video.

The interviewer asked whether yesterday’s order (14 firm + 6 options) for A339s was about replacing the A332 and A333 fleets 1:1 or of it was more than that. The response was that it was about more than a 1:1 replacement, it was about creating the platform for VS’s return to growth.

The interview revealed that the third runway is one of a number of spaces in which VS are positioning themselves to grow, and Mr Weiss stated that VS have the ambition to double in size at LHR (the metric was not stated so it is unclear whether that’s by reference to number of routes, seat capacity etc.) in order to become the UK’s second flag carrier.

The interview also revealed other spaces in which VS are positioning themselves for growth:

1. FlyBe - it was stated that this demonstrated their ambition to expand their footprint in the UK and beyond, under the brand Virgin “Something”. This is via a “two pronged” approach. The first prong was to feed long haul flights at MAN and LHR. The second prong was the opportunity to provide further services in the rest of the UK (no specifics were discussed).

2. Thomas Cook - this was dealt with in a hypothetical basis as VS have made no public comment. It was confirmed that they are observers but if opportunities to provide further services “at Manchester or elsewhere” they would take a look. The interviewer enquired about the short / long haul split (i.e. why would you be interested in old A332s and / or A321s but that question was sidestepped).

3. Delta and JV partners - the positive relationship with Delta was relayed, and the potential for opportunities arising from that and also the JV with Air France and KLM were highlighted.

4. Skyteam - VS’s traditional reticence about joining an alliance has softened. It is possible that they could join Skyteam in future (Weiss describes VS as being de facto members already).

5. Further consolidation - it is felt that further consolidation is coming, that VS are well placed to whether the changes, and would look for further opportunities within the UK (the inference I took from this was the likes of e.g. Loganair operation rather than e.g. Thomas Cook).

Overall, its a bullish message from VS, and we await to see how that strategy might be implemented.

DobboDobbo

Tue Jun 18, 2019 1:14 pm

User001 wrote:

I think you are right about 2026 being ambitious, but the question of BoJo’s position is uncertain.

He apparently was not as committal on the “anti” position as he had been before, so perhaps he will he questioned about it this evening (for those outside the UK their is a televised debate for the candidates seeking to replace Theresa May as leader of the tories and Prime Minister).

User001

Tue Jun 18, 2019 1:17 pm

So is that the message to the world. Expand LHR or the U.K. stops expanding too.

VS is a growing business, it won’t simply ‘not expand’ just because R3 gets kicked into the sidelines. I’ve not stated VS will treble in size overnight in any of my postings. What I have addressed is the lack of slots to do ANY meaningful growth until R3 and then address the issue that as of yet, R3 isn’t actually guaranteed. And that’s where you miss my point. How do VS grow to ‘take on BA’ as you yourself put it, if this Runway doesn’t get built. To simply ‘not expand’ is not an option, not for VS, not for anybody.

So, I’ll ask again as seen as it seems a difficult question for you to answer, what do you think is plan B if the third Runway doesn’t come, or doesn’t come on time. Heathrow is currently full, LGW isn’t exactly flush with slots, certainly not in the peak periods, no other London airport can offer what theVS group needs, so.......

3AWM

Tue Jun 18, 2019 1:35 pm

Virgin are going to expand where it's commercially viable and the CEO seems to think that is LHR.

"Virgin Atlantic Set to Double Capacity at Heathrow Says CEO"

"The carrier, founded by billionaire Richard Branson, would like to use Flybe to roll up more airlines into an expanded short-haul business as part of a plan to double the number of intercontinental services from its London Heathrow hub, Chief Executive Officer Shai Weiss said in a Bloomberg TV interview on Monday."

He didn't really say anything about a plan B but it seems likely they will continue incrementally adding services there to expand their footprint. As they don't have orders for frames in anticipation of growth they don't need to plan to put those frames elsewhere.

DobboDobbo

Tue Jun 18, 2019 5:56 pm

3AWM wrote:
Virgin are going to expand where it's commercially viable and the CEO seems to think that is LHR.

In the interview (summarised in my post above) it is made clear that VS are positioning themselves for growth opportunities across the board. The opportunities presented by a potential third runway at LHR is one of a number of areas in which, according to public statements, VS sees an opportunity to grow. The other areas are also identified in my post above and for a variety of reasons any one of them could fall by the wayside, or become increasingly important as time moves on.

One point Weiss did mention was that for VS’s ambitions to be met at LHR the allocation rules for any new slots would have to change. I assume this relates to the likelihood that EasyJet would get preference as a new entrant but that is my speculation.

One point that has flown under the radar is their plans at Gatwick. I assume their intention is to consolidate their London flying at LHR, but this is my speculation.

User001

Tue Jun 18, 2019 6:03 pm

3AWM wrote:

"The carrier, founded by billionaire Richard Branson, would like to use Flybe to roll up more airlines into an expanded short-haul business as part of a plan to double the number of intercontinental services from its London Heathrow hub, Chief Executive Officer Shai Weiss said in a Bloomberg TV interview on Monday."

He didn't really say anything about a plan B but it seems likely they will continue incrementally adding services there to expand their footprint. As they don't have orders for frames in anticipation of growth they don't need to plan to put those frames elsewhere.

Still completely missing my point and can't be bothered repeating a 3rd time will leave it there as my head is beginning to hurt from repeatedly hitting a brick wall.

x1234

Tue Jun 18, 2019 6:41 pm

Great! The A330neo-900 can do every route in Virgins network including expansion opportunities to SIN, EZE & SCL (edge of its range).

3AWM

Tue Jun 18, 2019 7:34 pm

User001 wrote:
3AWM wrote:

Still completely missing my point and can't be bothered repeating a 3rd time will leave it there as my head is beginning to hurt from repeatedly hitting a brick wall.

Beats me what your point is. Don't know why this is directed at me as I'm the only one who even attempted to work out what it was.

3AWM

Tue Jun 18, 2019 7:40 pm

DobboDobbo wrote:
One point that has flown under the radar is their plans at Gatwick. I assume their intention is to consolidate their London flying at LHR, but this is my speculation.

Virgin are very quiet in Gatwick and they don't have that many departures from there but their head office is also I think (at) Gatwick so would they close ops altogether.

If they want to fill slots at LHR it seems certain they would want to transfer those services there.

EddieDude

Tue Jun 18, 2019 11:25 pm

mjoelnir wrote:
Not really, because the competition laws are quite different. In the USA the law against dumping does only apply to foreign competition. In the EU the dumping laws does not make a distinction between foreign or local companies.

No. Dumping is an international trade concept that has competitive implications, but it is not per se a competition law issue. It involves a foreign seller selling their products to customers in a foreign market below cost. Antidumping fees are measures imposed by the government of the buyer's jurisdiction against products coming from the foreign seller(s) who dump, in order to level the playing field. The key here is foreign trade. Dumping exists when the product is imported from a different company. There is no such thing as domestic dumping.

Predatory pricing on the other hand is a competition or antitrust issue. It refers to a manufacturer, service provider, distirbutor, etc. pricing its goods or services so low (and, by doing so, purposefully incurring losses during a period of time) that competitors are unable to compete. The case of AA driving low-cost competition out of DFW during the nineties is perhaps the most common case used in U.S. law schools to illustrate what predatory pricing is. Having said that, predatory pricing is a bit like the Loch Ness monster of antitrust law; good luck proving it exists!
Upcoming flights:
May: AM MEX-CUN 73H (Y), AM CUN-MEX 73W (Y).
August: KL MEX-AMS 74M (J), KQ AMS-NBO 788 (J).

8herveg

Wed Jun 19, 2019 8:05 am

3AWM wrote:
DobboDobbo wrote:

Virgin are very quiet in Gatwick and they don't have that many departures from there but their head office is also I think (at) Gatwick so would they close ops altogether.

If they want to fill slots at LHR it seems certain they would want to transfer those services there.

I think they probably could. Looking at their current schedule at LGW, the most number of daily flights they have is 5, on a Tuesday and Sunday. All the other days it's either 2,3 or 4 flights per day. They'd certainly have the upper hand if they moved their leisure flights to LHR as they'd be the airline operating those routes, from London's 'premier' airport.

DobboDobbo

Wed Jun 19, 2019 10:02 am

8herveg wrote:
3AWM wrote:
DobboDobbo wrote:

I think they probably could. Looking at their current schedule at LGW, the most number of daily flights they have is 5, on a Tuesday and Sunday. All the other days it's either 2,3 or 4 flights per day. They'd certainly have the upper hand if they moved their leisure flights to LHR as they'd be the airline operating those routes, from London's 'premier' airport.

I agree with both of you.

Based on public comments, I haven’t seen anything to suggest VS has any major plans at LGW (I may have missed something).

This is a different message from other public statements, where VS are all about growth. Based on those statements, their focus appears to be on opportunities at LHR (third runway and FlyBe acquisition) and MAN (FlyBe acquisition and potential TCX acquisition) and how they can develop their networks at those locations to take advantage of the tie in with DL/AF/KL and possibly a further integration and membership of Skyteam.

tommy1808

Wed Jun 19, 2019 10:23 am

EddieDude wrote:
mjoelnir wrote:
Not really, because the competition laws are quite different. In the USA the law against dumping does only apply to foreign competition. In the EU the dumping laws does not make a distinction between foreign or local companies.

No. Dumping is an international trade concept that has competitive implications,

If I recall correctly international law is not directly applicable in US courts, different from most countries.

Best regards
Thomas
This Singature is a safe space......

EddieDude

Wed Jun 19, 2019 4:09 pm

tommy1808 wrote:
If I recall correctly international law is not directly applicable in US courts, different from most countries.

That is not the point. Domestic legislation in most if not all WTO member countries contemplate dumping and provide for remedies against dumping (i.e., antidumping fees or tariffs).
Upcoming flights:
May: AM MEX-CUN 73H (Y), AM CUN-MEX 73W (Y).
August: KL MEX-AMS 74M (J), KQ AMS-NBO 788 (J).

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos