PlymSpotter

Re: Ryanair to set up Malta Air

Wed Jun 12, 2019 11:16 am

It looks like Malta Air is being established very rapidly.

I just received the following email for a flight I have booked with Ryanair in a months' time:

...love is just a camouflage for what resembles rage again...

TS-IOR

Wed Jun 12, 2019 2:25 pm

How Ryanair targets the North African market through Malta Air?

continental004

Wed Jun 12, 2019 3:42 pm

SCQ83 wrote:
continental004 wrote:
I found it relatively cheap, not like Greece or the south of Spain but still inexpensive. Honestly I found Malaga and Alicante much less culturally interesting than Malta; those two places offer sun, sand, sea and little else.

continental004 wrote:
They probably never left Sliema or St. Julian's which are exactly the overbuilt, overcrowded and traffic-jammed places they described. They ought to revisit and get out of urban Malta.

:lol: I left those areas and that is why I said "despite having some nice places like Mdina and the old city in Valetta".

But you can rarely raise your eye without seeing buildings or construction going on. And other than some old areas most of the island today is 1) suburban areas for locals built without any care for the environment (they reminded me a lot to your average suburb in Amman) or 2) areas like St. Julian's where those buildings are mixed with some international hotels and luxury developments for foreigners that look like out of Dubai.

I agree about Alicante or Málaga being uninteresting cities. But you are picking two of the worst cities in Spain for culture. And nonetheless, you drive 10 km. from each city and you can be in mountains or beaches without crowds, like you have in Corsica, Mallorca, Crete, Cyprus, Sicily, Ibiza or other Mediterranean islands. You drive 10 km. from Valetta and you are in the sea or in some overbuilt village.

Did you go to Comino? Gozo? Or even the Blue Grotto on Malta itself? The Hagar Qim temples which are not in a developed area? Or the colorful harbor of Marsaxlokk? (Also not a concrete jungle) Malta contains plenty of areas not unlike the islands you’ve listed.

seansasLCY

Wed Jun 12, 2019 3:45 pm

Can we end this debate about one users visit to Malta please. We don't all have to agree on whether it is a nice destination or not.

PlymSpotter

Wed Jun 12, 2019 4:29 pm

It looks like the operation is being set up very rapidly.

I have just received this email for a French domestic flight in 1 months time:

...love is just a camouflage for what resembles rage again...

VCy

Wed Jun 12, 2019 6:18 pm

I'm not gonna lie. As a Cypriot I'm very jealous of what the Maltese government managed to achieve here! Congratulations to Malta for finding ways to boost their tourism industry! After all, us Mediterranean islanders heavily depend on tourism (seasonal or not.)

A380MSN004

Wed Jun 12, 2019 8:23 pm

What was really Malta Air before Ryanair stepped in?
Just a paper startup airline with a Maltese AOC? Or were they already operating some flights ?

Anyone can tell the registering date of Malta Air?

Galwayman

Wed Jun 12, 2019 11:45 pm

VCy wrote:
I'm not gonna lie. As a Cypriot I'm very jealous of what the Maltese government managed to achieve here! Congratulations to Malta for finding ways to boost their tourism industry! After all, us Mediterranean islanders heavily depend on tourism (seasonal or not.)

It can still be done in Cyprus if your politicians get their act together

VCy

Thu Jun 13, 2019 8:06 am

Galwayman wrote:
VCy wrote:

It can still be done in Cyprus if your politicians get their act together

The Cypriot government would never get involved in the airline industry again after what happened with Cyprus Airways. They believe it's best to keep the market to private companies. Last I've heard, Wizz negotiated for a base at LCA.

chunhimlai

Thu Jun 13, 2019 10:10 am

Will MLT be next Dubai in Europe?

VCy

Thu Jun 13, 2019 12:24 pm

chunhimlai wrote:
Will MLT be next Dubai in Europe?

Nope. 10 737s can't do what 250 A380s and 777 are doing. Malta will just be in a great position to increase their tourist numbers and possibly provide a good transit option. But the transit options will not target all continents!

leghorn

Thu Jun 13, 2019 12:32 pm

Irish Revenue Commissioners deserve this.
Irish tax strategy has been to attract in Multinationals by offering very low tax rates and then screwing those employees who they employee in Ireland as they see them as captives who they can treat howsoever they wish.
Here we have a highly mobile company with highly mobile employees and potential employees making it clear that they will not stand for it.

aemoreira1981

Thu Jun 13, 2019 2:56 pm

f4f3a wrote:
Still don’t understand why French crews can’t be on local contracts while airline is in Ireland . French easy crews were flying uk reg planes (now Austrian ) so why change to Malta?
Are fence based aircraft going to be called Malta air ? Or are they flying Ryanair branded aircraft?
Are Ryanair’s affiliate airlines selling tickets on Ryanair website or just on their own

Taxation purposes, as explained here: https://www.irishtimes.com/business/tra ... -1.3922343 Crew foreign-based in France, Italy, and Germany would no longer have to pay Irish income taxes. Italy will likely see 9H-registered Ryanair planes as well (about 60 planes will have their registration moved to Malta - https://www.maltatoday.com.mt/news/nati ... investment ); Ryanair has already moved at least one aircraft onto the Maltese registry; EI-FZI is now 9H-QAA. I would surmise that this is the reason behind Ryanair Sun and UK as well (with G- and SP- registered planes as well). If Malta had enough slots, they might have chased after the entire Ryanair registry as well.

The only question is: why not Boeing 737-800s for Lauda instead of A320s? The paint can still say Lauda, but that would give fleet commonality in the group, at least once the MAX 8s can fly again.

As for Malta Air to North Africa, that's where bilaterals come in.

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos