Mystic
Topic Author

Airline Reviewer exposes Skytrax

Mon Jun 17, 2019 1:49 pm

The youtuber and airline reviewer Josh Cahill made a video explaining what is happening with skytrax and their absurd airline ratings. It seems that there is more going on behind the scenes. Bullying airline ceo's to depict their own agenda and try to make a personal gain out of it. I do respect him for speaking out about this.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0MOzjVxQCUo
Former HeyTK

sibibom

Re: Airline Reviewer exposes Skytrax

Mon Jun 17, 2019 1:56 pm

Skytrax has been questionable for years, and then again, this post being made by someone who joined 3 days back, with Turkish logo, right after Turkish was downgraded by Skytrax......internet is becoming a very murky place with companies using their agents to further their agendas.

Mystic
Topic Author

Mon Jun 17, 2019 1:59 pm

sibibom wrote:
Skytrax has been questionable for years, and then again, this post being made by someone who joined 3 days back, with Turkish logo, right after Turkish was downgraded by Skytrax......internet is becoming a very murky place with companies using their agents to further their agendas.

Read my signature. I have been a member for a year. I just switched to a new account to change my username, which is irrelevant to this topic. I dont see why you needed to point that out but okay.
Former HeyTK

AIRT0M

Mon Jun 17, 2019 2:00 pm

I trust Skytrax ratings as much as I trust a travel blogger.

anshabhi

Mon Jun 17, 2019 2:06 pm

sibibom wrote:

That's like thinking TK has a new strategy to advertise to 0.0001% internet users :)
Last edited by anshabhi on Mon Jun 17, 2019 2:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.

WayexTDI

Mon Jun 17, 2019 2:06 pm

sibibom wrote:

So, you decided to shoot the messenger (OP) who provided some substance (a link)? Classy move... :roll:

anshabhi

Mon Jun 17, 2019 2:27 pm

From the later parts of video - Skytrax is confusing business intelligence with back b*tching :rotfl:

usflyer msp

Mon Jun 17, 2019 2:36 pm

Not to toot my own horn but I told everyone about the joke called Skytrax 4 years ago and people did not want to believe me.

viewtopic.php?f=3&t=592059&p=9197849&hilit=Usflyer+skytrax#p9197849

dcajet

Mon Jun 17, 2019 3:17 pm

A dodgy and very questionable airline consultancy and a self promoting YouTuber with a phony Australian accent? Pot calling the kettle black.
"Unattended children will be given espresso and a free kitten"

ojjunior

Mon Jun 17, 2019 3:22 pm

Mystic wrote:
The youtuber and airline reviewer Josh Cahill made a video explaining what is happening with skytrax and their absurd airline ratings. It seems that there is more going on behind the scenes. Bullying airline ceo's to depict their own agenda and try to make a personal gain out of it. I do respect him for speaking out about this.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0MOzjVxQCUo

Another one whose check got lost in post service...

bhxdtw

Mon Jun 17, 2019 3:45 pm

Ok guys,

I have a couple of things ive been thinking of lately regarding skytrax and airline reviews..

Firstly, everyone says Skytrax are not to be taken seriously, I understand that if they are taking payments to award higher ratings, however ... how do these ratings happen, do they have people flying and reporting? Are they just based on some algorithm from some stats they have.

Also, people say similar things regarding Sam Chui and his YouTube posts.
I've seen comments here and on other sites where people say he is either biased or being paid.
I personally have ** no ** opinion, just stating what I've seen in a couple of random posts.

Is there a REAL way of getting aviation reviews without the seemingly sinister rumors of everyone getting paid off for a good review lol

usflyer msp

Mon Jun 17, 2019 4:15 pm

bhxdtw wrote:
Ok guys,

I have a couple of things ive been thinking of lately regarding skytrax and airline reviews..

Firstly, everyone says Skytrax are not to be taken seriously, I understand that if they are taking payments to award higher ratings, however ... how do these ratings happen, do they have people flying and reporting? Are they just based on some algorithm from some stats they have.

I've seen comments here and on other sites where people say he is either biased or being paid.
I personally have ** no ** opinion, just stating what I've seen in a couple of random posts.

Is there a REAL way of getting aviation reviews without the seemingly sinister rumors of everyone getting paid off for a good review lol

Follow the money.

Unless you are independently wealthy, you are getting paid to do reviews. Even then, it is still questionable (cough * Alex Macheras * cough)...

devron

Mon Jun 17, 2019 8:02 pm

I look at trip advisor for review. Or I book a flight to find out myself. If I like the product I book a second flight. This old fashioned way works for me.

LH658

Mon Jun 17, 2019 8:12 pm

I've seen some of Josh Cahill videos, and some of them he just complains to much, which is why I don't watch any of his videos now. I like Jeb Brooks, SamChui, Noel Phillips, and some others.

jetwet1

Mon Jun 17, 2019 8:28 pm

I actually agree with Josh on this one, how can you call TK a 3 star airline and LH a 5 star. Yes, LH international 1st class is good, not earth shattering, but it is a solid offering, the lounge is amazing for sure, but it's inter Europe product is your standard euro rubbish, far from 5 star.

LH658 wrote:
I've seen some of Josh Cahill videos, and some of them he just complains to much, which is why I don't watch any of his videos now. I like Jeb Brooks, SamChui, Noel Phillips, and some others.

Yes Josh complains a lot, but the majority of it is justified, I do however much prefer Jeb.

dcajet wrote:
A dodgy and very questionable airline consultancy and a self promoting YouTuber with a phony Australian accent? Pot calling the kettle black.

Josh is German, he speaks very good English (though occasionally trips up on a word), he doesn't have the deep German accent, but you can catch it every now and again.

atsiang

Mon Jun 17, 2019 8:35 pm

I don't understand the hate behind all this video by Josh and even with him as a vlogger. Jealous or envy his lifestyle? I follow many of these vloggers on youtube and have seen a bunch of Josh's video. Sure he complains a lot but it is justified and he explains his rationale behind the criticisms of the airlines, service..etc. His video exposing Skytrax is very much valid. He explains in detail the issues behind the ratings with Turkish and Lufthansa and corrupt system of Skytrax.

shamrock350

Mon Jun 17, 2019 8:51 pm

It really is just a marketing tool, either play along or ignore it, it's up to you.

Many of these bloggers are the exact same by accepting cash or free flights to promote certain airlines, it's actually painful watching some of them pretend to get excited by the shape of a salt shaker in business class so for any of them to criticise Skytrax is a little hypocritical to say the least.

gatibosgru

Mon Jun 17, 2019 8:55 pm

Any sort of "rating system" is going to be biased. Doesn't shock me at all that airlines would pay for a high rating, it's perfect PR to be considered "4/5 stars", even if the metrics are murky.
@DadCelo

blooc350

Mon Jun 17, 2019 9:35 pm

The only legit airlines on Skytrax are probably Singapore Airlines, ANA and Asiana........the rest are questionable. CX is probably holding on by a thread as a "5- Star Airline" IMHO.

ITSTours

Mon Jun 17, 2019 9:39 pm

I do not trust Skytrax anyway but on which basis this guy is more credible? Is there a substantial evidence?
The Youtube video is not evidence.

chonetsao

Mon Jun 17, 2019 9:42 pm

blooc350 wrote:
The only legit airlines on Skytrax are probably Singapore Airlines, ANA and Asiana........the rest are questionable. CX is probably holding on by a thread as a "5- Star Airline" IMHO.

You have to make CX a five stars airline if you are to squeeze LH in.

PlymSpotter

Mon Jun 17, 2019 10:07 pm

The majority of top influencers are 'sponsored' in some way - be it through complimentary perks / tickets or actual payment. Now were this not in some way beneficial to the airline (in this case), then there would be no sponsorship. This inherently means the influencer's content is more likely to please their sponsor... or they will soon find their job / hobby / etc... difficult.

I won't name names or companies, but this isn't limited to positive feedback - very below the belt 'competition' in my view.
...love is just a camouflage for what resembles rage again...

atsiang

Tue Jun 18, 2019 1:36 am

PlymSpotter wrote:
The majority of top influencers are 'sponsored' in some way - be it through complimentary perks / tickets or actual payment. Now were this not in some way beneficial to the airline (in this case), then there would be no sponsorship. This inherently means the influencer's content is more likely to please their sponsor... or they will soon find their job / hobby / etc... difficult.

I won't name names or companies, but this isn't limited to positive feedback - very below the belt 'competition' in my view.

I really doubt these vloggers are compensated much or compensated at all. I've seen many of these videos of aviation vloggers such as Josh Cahill, Nonstop Dan, Dennis Bunnik, Paul Trip Reports, Jeb Brooks...etc and with the exception of Sam Chui, I really don't think they are compensated. Even Paul Trip Reports tell the viewers how much he spent on the flights. I'm not counting Sam Chui because he is in a league of his own with cockpit access, participating in delivery flights...etc. Anyhow, the majority of the most popular aviation vloggers really tell it like it is, if it's bad experience, they say it's a bad experience. Have you seen Josh's video on Malaysia airlines? Paul's Trip Report on Scoot? Those reports were harsh criticism of those airlines and I highly doubt they were beneficial to the airlines at all.

kq747

Tue Jun 18, 2019 3:32 am

atsiang wrote:
I don't understand the hate behind all this video by Josh and even with him as a vlogger. Jealous or envy his lifestyle? I follow many of these vloggers on youtube and have seen a bunch of Josh's video. Sure he complains a lot but it is justified and he explains his rationale behind the criticisms of the airlines, service..etc. His video exposing Skytrax is very much valid. He explains in detail the issues behind the ratings with Turkish and Lufthansa and corrupt system of Skytrax.

Totally don't get the hate. I understand we live in an era where bloggers and 'influencers' are under scrutiny as they should be to a degree, but people seem to be making snap judgments here (and what is with the unnecessary comment about his accent?!?!). I've watched a lot of Josh's videos now, and they definitely seem honest. Sometimes he lets things go that I wouldn't and then complains about things that don't matter to me which to me says he's just giving his point of view. I think he's raising this issue because he has been specifically targeted by scamtrax. Generally we know it's not a reliable organization and he's showing us the legnths they will go to in order to maintain the illusion that people should trust their ratings; what's wrong with that?

alan3

Tue Jun 18, 2019 6:55 am

He makes some decent arguments about Skytrax, and why should we always take their word as the ultimate judgment. The Turkish and Lufthansa examples in particular. With a J class product like that LH being 5 star is very odd.

Sure Josh Cahill is a bit cocky but I much prefer his honest style and readiness to point out the negatives over the Sam Chui types where the relationship just feels far too "cozy".

Jomar777

Tue Jun 18, 2019 9:23 am

Valid discussion Topic.
I trust Skytrax as much as I trus Trip Advisor, Booking.com, etc etc etc. There are valid reviews but you should always seek elsewhere and leverage your assessment. If you use Skytrax TOGETHER with other review sites, then you get a good picture.
Besides, what you expect on an airline in regards to food, service, aircraft, etc? Whoever will give you that will get yoyr own 5* rating regardless of what those sites give so own experience always should count more.
I myself really have great experiences with Air France, Qatar Airways, LATAM Brasil and quite reasonable ones with KLM, BA and Iberia (although BA always charges premium...).
Skytrax rates them differently so what?

IndianicWorld

Tue Jun 18, 2019 12:14 pm

I’ve seen a few of that guys videos before and honestly I just find the vibe of his videos to be too negative and at times overdramatic.

I give him and others credit for their work, but there do appear to be a few other trip reporters out there that seem to have content I connect to more.

As for Skytrax, this has been known for years. No need for any sudden shock about how it all works.

UWPAviation

Tue Jun 18, 2019 1:05 pm

And what airlines have the largest profit margins??

Lufthansa, AA, DL, UA, Air France, IAG, Southwest.

And how did they fare on the list?? Exactly, travelers don’t care.

It means absolutely nothing except for those airlines that think it does.

macsog6

Tue Jun 18, 2019 2:11 pm

Wichita State University, in conjunction with Emery-Riddle, does an airline quality ranking that covers some carriers. They likely offer a more objective review. And in full disclosure, I was once adjunct faculty at WSU.
Sixty Plus Years of Flying! "I fly because it releases my mind from the tyranny of petty things." - Saint Ex

ClassicLover

Tue Jun 18, 2019 5:09 pm

I'll chime in here with a few facts and opinions.

bhxdtw wrote:

You know, I think Sam Chui is independently wealthy. The reason I say this is that when the Qantas Boeing 707-138B was restored and flown back to Australia in 2007, he chartered a helicopter to take some air to air shots of the aircraft in Australia. At the time he had no real online presence apart from the fact you'd see some really cool pictures come up from time to time. The pictures I mention about the Qantas 707 are on this site with the last four on the main page flipper being his.

Now for someone to charter a helicopter just to get photos of a rare jet says to me a) he has his own money and b) he's an aviation fan.

The fact he has gradually, over the years, made a success of himself is all down to his work and passion for aviation. Dismissing him as a paid flunky with no evidence whatsoever is a bit rude in my opinion (not that you were saying you thought so, but you did mention others!).

shamrock350 wrote:
Many of these bloggers are the exact same by accepting cash or free flights to promote certain airlines, it's actually painful watching some of them pretend to get excited by the shape of a salt shaker in business class so for any of them to criticise Skytrax is a little hypocritical to say the least.

Well, as a blogger myself, I can tell you that I have never been paid by an airline once to do a review. I was doing Trip Reports for years on airliners.net, then applied to be a blogger with BoardingArea. They accepted me and I carry on as I always have, only now I write about news as well as reviews.

I actually do get excited about the shape of plates and such. I remember specifically commenting that I thought the Aer Lingus business class plate shapes were cool, and so were the ones in the Cathay Pacific lounge at Heathrow. I notice things like that!

usflyer msp wrote:
Unless you are independently wealthy, you are getting paid to do reviews. Even then, it is still questionable (cough * Alex Macheras * cough)...

Some are independently wealthy, some actually earn quite a lot from their blogs. The top US bloggers do it full time, use points and credit card points and so on to keep costs down. They earn the points through referrals on their sites, and use that and cheap deals to get them around. Plus advertising revenue from their blog too.

You'll find that the bloggers who are paid to do a review will ALWAYS mention that the airline paid them. If it is not mentioned, you can rest assured that the blogger paid either using their miles and points or cash.

PlymSpotter wrote:
The majority of top influencers are 'sponsored' in some way - be it through complimentary perks / tickets or actual payment. Now were this not in some way beneficial to the airline (in this case), then there would be no sponsorship. This inherently means the influencer's content is more likely to please their sponsor... or they will soon find their job / hobby / etc... difficult. .

From the complimentary perks side, it depends what you mean. I've had two "complimentary" things in nearly three years of blogging. Once I went to the Qantas LHR T3 opening, because I e-mailed them, said I was a blogger and would like to write about it. So I got to see that on press day. The other was some extra service once in Doha by Qatar, where the Al Mourjan lounge manager escorted me to the restaurant and made me eat.

Otherwise, I see bloggers getting invitations to product launches and so on, which is not really a perk - they are essentially being treated like the press. People who would like to go to such events might see it as a perk. However, at the Qantas event for example, I spent the entire time running around getting pictures of the lounge, then when everyone went upstairs to hear the Alan Joyce speech, I was downstairs making a walk through video for the blog. I think I only ate two little things as well. So in reality it's actually work.

Just throwing all this in here to say that you shouldn't tar everyone with the same brush when it comes to being a travel blogger. I write about the flights I take that I pay for myself because I had to go somewhere. I'd love free flights, but it does not happen nearly as much as you think. I think a lot of people just like to attack those doing something they themselves would like to do, rather than actually doing something to get into that life.
I do enjoy a spot of flying, especially when it's not in economy!

compensateme

Tue Jun 18, 2019 5:34 pm

ClassicLover wrote:
I'll chime in here with a few facts and opinions.

No offense, but you're obviously "not important." The more of an influencer you are, the more freebies you'll get -- top influencers not only get tons of freebies, but they make a (comfortable) living off of it. I'm not guessing.
We don’t care what your next flight is.

ClassicLover

Tue Jun 18, 2019 6:31 pm

compensateme wrote:
No offense, but you're obviously "not important." The more of an influencer you are, the more freebies you'll get -- top influencers not only get tons of freebies, but they make a (comfortable) living off of it. I'm not guessing.

No offence taken, I know I'm not important :) I have no issue with the freebies and perks at all - more power to the people who get them. As I pointed out, quality writers always point out when they are getting compensated for a review. Too many people automatically say that a blogger is lying about their experience when in actual fact they're usually not. I think it's unfair for those not blogging to point to star bloggers and say all their material is shit because "they must be being compensated" - when there is no proof of this. In fact, a lot of bloggers will actively say when an airline has done a bad job. My point is that people should not generalise so much. Healthy scepticism is fine, an opinion with no basis in fact, not so much.
I do enjoy a spot of flying, especially when it's not in economy!

compensateme

Tue Jun 18, 2019 7:25 pm

ClassicLover wrote:
No offence taken, I know I'm not important :) I have no issue with the freebies and perks at all - more power to the people who get them. As I pointed out, quality writers always point out when they are getting compensated for a review. Too many people automatically say that a blogger is lying about their experience when in actual fact they're usually not. I think it's unfair for those not blogging to point to star bloggers and say all their material is shit because "they must be being compensated" - when there is no proof of this. In fact, a lot of bloggers will actively say when an airline has done a bad job. My point is that people should not generalise so much. Healthy scepticism is fine, an opinion with no basis in fact, not so much.

Sure, in the USA (and probably elsewhere), bloggers are required to disclose when they've received the product/service/experience for a free or discounted price and/or received additional compensation. But unfortunately, many don't, and most others will often severely downplay the level of significance the comp played. For example, a blogger I followed once did a piece on Austin, TX, with a disclaimer 'we were planning a trip to Austin, reached out to the city's tourism board for a few ideas and they helped us around town, sometimes picking up the tab, but in no way did their generosity influence our opinions.' That's far different than the true reality of: 'Austin's tourism board reached out to us and offered to pay us to take an all-inclusive trip in exchange for us promoting the city.'

Reality is, few "influencers" kick the gift horse in the mouth; even if they don't like a product/service/experience, they're not going to say it, otherwise they won't get approached for future opportunities. Ultimately, companies are paying for marketing and promotion, not reviews.

And I know this from personal experience. We signed up to receive free Henkel products in exchange for writing "honest" reviews. The first few went well, then I received a stick of Right Guard-branded deodorant. I wrote an honest review -- it irritated my arms, causing them to turn bright red and create a burning sensation, and had an overly strong fragrance that made me want to throw up. I haven't received another product to review since...
We don’t care what your next flight is.

usdcaguy

Tue Jun 18, 2019 7:42 pm

Although the stars Skytrax award carriers may seem suspect, the reviews that people leave are generally believable, as Skytrax will publish what they say. As far as TK are concerned, I know that many people have complained about transiting at Istanbul and about staff that seem disinterested. If you read the reviews, you'll see what I mean. As mentioned previously, it is important to cross-reference Skytrax reviews with what is posted on other sites, though reviews on TripAdvisor will generally have a tone that is similar to what one will find on Skytrax. If people give less credence to the star ratings and more to the reviews themselves, they'll get a better idea of what to expect.

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos