Eagleboy

Re: Irish 7/19

Fri Jul 26, 2019 10:01 pm

shamrock350 wrote:
EI321 wrote:
Such a pity Aer Lingus have chosen to not paint the ski mask on the A321LR.

I think it would have looked nice but I believe it's an entirely cosmetic feature with no cost or operational benefit unlike the A350 which has 'shades' for regulating the thermal conditions around the cockpit.

Actually it could be considered quite costly in the long run because in order to maintain the illusion you need to paint the window frames and any spare parts as well which is probably why so many airlines have opted against it.
Actually the 'ski mask' is required on the A350 but purely cosmetic on the A330neo and A321neo.
The curved design of the A350 cockpit windows means that there is a wider edge to the windows. This frame also helps with thermal shielding for the windows.
Airbus decided to have the frame be black rather than require the airlines to have to repaint replacement frames.
https://blog.virginatlantic.com/airbus- ... orro-mask/

Clydenairways wrote:
Is the new EI A321LR going to be at the Bray Airshow?

Im thinking that it cuold well appear over the next 2 days. Im sure EI will be using it for some training flights before it goes into service on the DUB-BDL route next week.

OA260

Fri Jul 26, 2019 11:24 pm

Nice to see the arrival of the first new aircraft. I saw a few pics and a short video of the cabin. Looks great. Sadly cant share the video but Im sure a few will turn up on other channels over the next few days.

Eirules

Sat Jul 27, 2019 2:17 pm

OA260 wrote:
Nice to see the arrival of the first new aircraft. I saw a few pics and a short video of the cabin. Looks great. Sadly cant share the video but Im sure a few will turn up on other channels over the next few days.

Always the tease Philip
The way you cut your meat reflects the way you live....

ClassicLover

Sat Jul 27, 2019 4:08 pm

I've written a review of the Aer Lingus lounge in Terminal 2 if anyone wants to read it. Plenty of pictures and what not.

https://travelupdate.boardingarea.com/aer-lingus-lounge-dublin-review/

The food situation is pretty bad. I mean, the offering the DAA put on in the Terminal 1 lounge is far superior. Perhaps I was there at a bad time? I mean, there were pastries and scones and some bread and jam, plus the soup. It's not great! I guess it becomes sandwiches later? Anyway, I was surprised.

Also, who knew there was barista coffee in the morning! The Aer Lingus web site says it's a trial, so I wonder if it will continue. This is particularly popular in Australia where there are baristas in all the capital city lounges at least, and they're there all day.
I do enjoy a spot of flying, especially when it's not in economy!

eirflot

Sat Jul 27, 2019 8:22 pm

Surprised at the general lack of interest in rhe arrival of the A321Neo! Are we avi- maxed out??

CairnterriAIR

Sat Jul 27, 2019 11:16 pm

eirflot wrote:
Surprised at the general lack of interest in rhe arrival of the A321Neo! Are we avi- maxed out??

It looks nice...I admit I’ll miss the green fuselage, but an attractive looking aircraft nonetheless. Where is the first scheduled transatlantic flight going to take it?

shamrock350

Sun Jul 28, 2019 1:32 am

Here's a nice shot of St Rowan on its customer acceptance flight;

https://www.planespotters.net/photo/977 ... a321-253nx

Worth noting for anyone flying them in the future in economy that somewhere around rows 25-27 there's a missing window, it's where the door has been plugged.

The previous plan for it to visit the Bray Air Show tomorrow looks unlikely, too soon after delivery.

Hopefully we see some hi-res pics of the aircraft and cabin sometime during the week via Aer Lingus' media centre, the cabin especially is quite a departure from what we're used to but still very nice in style. The teal, light green and light blue head rest covers are a throwback to the 90s cabin design. The seats themselves are new to Aer Lingus, the Collins Aerospace Pinnacle design, formerly BE Aerospace.

New uniform is pretty much finished as well, the wearer trials were carried out over spring and early summer and fittings were done this month. It's due for introduction in November but could obviously be revealed earlier.

CairnterriAIR wrote:
eirflot wrote:

It looks nice...I admit I’ll miss the green fuselage, but an attractive looking aircraft nonetheless. Where is the first scheduled transatlantic flight going to take it?

Hartford, Friday 2 August. Allows a few days of customisation, loading of flights bags, safety equipment and a few details that bring it up to Aer Lingus standard.

Shamrock350

Jshank83

Sun Jul 28, 2019 3:29 am

This has probably been talked about recently but I don't usually follow this thread.

What is the status of the Aer Lingus A321LR deliveries? I think they had been behind for this year originally. How are they going now?

shamrock350

Sun Jul 28, 2019 4:42 am

Jshank83 wrote:
This has probably been talked about recently but I don't usually follow this thread.

What is the status of the Aer Lingus A321LR deliveries? I think they had been behind for this year originally. How are they going now?

The first, EI-LRA, was literally just delivered and will enter service this week.

The second, EI-LRB, is fully painted, engines installed and test registration assigned. It was last seen by spotters in Hamburg at the riverside storage area awaiting hanger time which will be followed by flight testing and then delivery. I’d expect it to be delivered towards the end of summer.

The third, EI-LRC, is on the final assembly line. It was last seen a week or two ago in the hanger with its tail painted and fuselage in primer getting its wings attached. Still 2-3 months from delivery.

The fourth and final for this year, EI-LRD, is on the production list. Likely not due till much later in the year.

Another four are then due next year followed by the 6 A321XLR from 2023 onwards.

OA260

Sun Jul 28, 2019 8:00 am

‘IT’S NOT RIGHT’ : DUBLIN AIRPORT SLAMMED FOR ‘PREDATORY’ TWEET

Dublin Airport has been accused of ‘insulting and predatory’ behaviour following a marketing tweet.

The tweet referred to Dublin Airport as the ‘key gateway’ for visitors to the 2026 Ryder Cup.

https://extra.ie/2019/07/28/news/irish- ... tory-tweet

—-

Crowds turn out for ‘spell-binding’ Bray Air Display
Royal Jordanian Falcons headline opening day during weekend of flying acrobatics

Elite Army parachutists plunged more than 1,200 metres from the skies over Co Wicklow on to Bray seafront on Saturday to kick-start Ireland’s biggest air show.

Organisers say thousands turned out for the first of two days of aviation acrobatics and other events at this year’s Bray Air Display, the 14th since it began in 2005.

www.irishtimes.com/news/ireland/irish-n ... 3?mode=amp

EI321

Sun Jul 28, 2019 12:43 pm

I have to say the line up for the Bray air show is very dissapointing this year. There were no jets at it yesterday. I went yesterday and it was nowhere near as good as the last time I went (2017).

Jshank83

Sun Jul 28, 2019 2:55 pm

shamrock350 wrote:
Jshank83 wrote:

The first, EI-LRA, was literally just delivered and will enter service this week.

The second, EI-LRB, is fully painted, engines installed and test registration assigned. It was last seen by spotters in Hamburg at the riverside storage area awaiting hanger time which will be followed by flight testing and then delivery. I’d expect it to be delivered towards the end of summer.

The third, EI-LRC, is on the final assembly line. It was last seen a week or two ago in the hanger with its tail painted and fuselage in primer getting its wings attached. Still 2-3 months from delivery.

The fourth and final for this year, EI-LRD, is on the production list. Likely not due till much later in the year.

Another four are then due next year followed by the 6 A321XLR from 2023 onwards.

Thanks for the update. How many were they originally supposed to have ready to fly this summer? Was it the 4?

OA260

Sun Jul 28, 2019 9:18 pm

EI321 wrote:
I have to say the line up for the Bray air show is very dissapointing this year. There were no jets at it yesterday. I went yesterday and it was nowhere near as good as the last time I went (2017).

Would be good to see another Flightfest in future.

AirbusA343

Sun Jul 28, 2019 9:19 pm

wexfordflyer wrote:
Eirules wrote:
wexfordflyer wrote:

I'm flying to Tashkent with them in Sept so looking forward to trying them out. I'm a tad concerned though as I'm taking the afternoon (16:30) flight and that never seems to go on time, seems to be usually around 17:30. I've just an hour and a half connection in Istanbul so if it goes late, I won't have a hope of making the connection! Having said that, I believe TK have a codeshare with Uzbekistan Airways, and the next flight to TAS from IST is on the UZ 787, so if I miss the TK connection and get put on that, it won't be all that bad.

I’ve one to Baku with them at the end of Sept, again leaving Dublin on the 16.30. Again, I’ve only 80 mins of a connection so a touch concerned!!

Someone else might be better able to advise than I, but I think there are slot restrictions on the DUB-IST route, so that might be impacting its consistently late departure.

It's rarely left before 17:00 the last while:

https://uk.flightaware.com/live/flight/ ... /EIDW/LTFM

It seems to be fairly late coming in from Istanbul a lot of the time too which gives the crew less time to prepare the aircraft for the next flight. I also imagine the busy Dublin airport is a factor too.

Also Kaitak, I just remembered the morning flight was indeed meant to be operated by the 737 MAX 9! The afternoon flight is operated by an A321/neo/737 mix at the moment but it looks like it's going to be fully A321 operated starting W19 which I guess is because of TK taking delivery of more A321neos.

OA260

Mon Jul 29, 2019 6:36 am

Ryanair reports 21% fall in profits in first quarter

Ryanair has reported a 21% fall in profits to €243 million in the first quarter of this financial year.

The low-cost airline cited lower fares and higher costs for fuel and staff as reasons for the decline.

Chief executive Michael O'Leary said: "The two weakest markets were Germany, where Lufthansa was allowed to buy Air Berlin and is selling this excess capacity at below cost prices, and the UK where Brexit concerns weigh negatively on consumer confidence and spending."

www.rte.ie/news/business/2019/0729/1065758-ryanair/

wexfordflyer

Mon Jul 29, 2019 7:57 am

AirbusA343 wrote:
wexfordflyer wrote:
Eirules wrote:

I’ve one to Baku with them at the end of Sept, again leaving Dublin on the 16.30. Again, I’ve only 80 mins of a connection so a touch concerned!!

Someone else might be better able to advise than I, but I think there are slot restrictions on the DUB-IST route, so that might be impacting its consistently late departure.

It's rarely left before 17:00 the last while:

https://uk.flightaware.com/live/flight/ ... /EIDW/LTFM

It seems to be fairly late coming in from Istanbul a lot of the time too which gives the crew less time to prepare the aircraft for the next flight. I also imagine the busy Dublin airport is a factor too.

Also Kaitak, I just remembered the morning flight was indeed meant to be operated by the 737 MAX 9! The afternoon flight is operated by an A321/neo/737 mix at the moment but it looks like it's going to be fully A321 operated starting W19 which I guess is because of TK taking delivery of more A321neos.

Yeah I'm guessing that DUB being so congested is really adding to the delays. I'm hoping that by Sept things will have calmed a little but and performance might have improved.
Come with me, there's a place I want you to see, where the leaves are dark, I've got a hiding place in central park.

BrianDromey

Mon Jul 29, 2019 9:39 am

eirflot wrote:

I don't think maxed out, just waiting for more photos or information about the cabin to be released. We know business will be similar to the 757, save an extra row. Sounds like Economy has had a significant overhaul though.

EI321

Mon Jul 29, 2019 11:27 am

BrianDromey wrote:
eirflot wrote:

I don't think maxed out, just waiting for more photos or information about the cabin to be released. We know business will be similar to the 757, save an extra row. Sounds like Economy has had a significant overhaul though.

The economy seats are grey fabric with a horizontal pattern and multi-coloured (blue and green) headrest covers and a lime green stripe. They have decent sized PTVs.

The business seats look to be the same as the existing fleet.

Personally I don't like the look of the economy cabin very much.

CarbHeatIn

Mon Jul 29, 2019 12:02 pm

As expected, EI has rostered the 321LR operation to BDL with only 4 cabin crew.

BrianDromey

Mon Jul 29, 2019 12:13 pm

CarbHeatIn wrote:

The 757 had five when it was introduced to service, did that change later on? I remember the number was disputed. Seems with a larger business class cabin on the A321 that service could be impacted negatively.

eirflot

Mon Jul 29, 2019 12:27 pm

Is the busibess cabin not 12 seats, as on the 757?
I rememver the cabin crew disagreement. It was scheduled 4 but ended uo 5. What has changed?

CarbHeatIn

Mon Jul 29, 2019 12:53 pm

16 business on LR

JAmie2k9

Mon Jul 29, 2019 1:22 pm

BrianDromey wrote:
CarbHeatIn wrote:

The 757 had five when it was introduced to service, did that change later on? I remember the number was disputed. Seems with a larger business class cabin on the A321 that service could be impacted negatively.

I think it was only 4 but possibly 5 briefly, there was dispute about numbers however a deal was done for them to operate with 4.

Galwayman

Mon Jul 29, 2019 2:43 pm

4 seems fine , there’s plenty of time , it’s not a short flight . Would expect 5 crew on the short haul to London though .

I like the new economy seat look , esp the headrests but the cabin looks long and thin from the back , hopefully some mood lighting will help break it up

It’s not obvious if the new seats are tech friendly , power points , tablet holders ...

eirflot

Mon Jul 29, 2019 2:58 pm

Does anyone have a blessed photo of the cabins?

OA260

Mon Jul 29, 2019 3:00 pm

Galwayman wrote:
tablet holders ...

No tablet holders from what I saw.

OA260

Mon Jul 29, 2019 3:05 pm

eirflot wrote:
Does anyone have a blessed photo of the cabins?

Not good quality but gives you an idea of the seat pattern anyway.

KeevaOS

Mon Jul 29, 2019 7:32 pm

Galwayman wrote:
4 seems fine , there’s plenty of time , it’s not a short flight . Would expect 5 crew on the short haul to London though .

I like the new economy seat look , esp the headrests but the cabin looks long and thin from the back , hopefully some mood lighting will help break it up

It’s not obvious if the new seats are tech friendly , power points , tablet holders ...

4 seem fine? You definitely dont work in the area. A flight of 7/8h envolves a minimum break of 1h30 . With 16 business class pax up the front plus flight deck to deal with, you think one crew is enough? And if a second one helps up the front (perhaps you not aware of the aer lingus business class service), 2 cc left for 168 pax in Economy where a full service is provided?
Get your facts right before writing nonsense on this

EK770

Mon Jul 29, 2019 8:42 pm

KeevaOS wrote:
Galwayman wrote:

4 seem fine? You definitely dont work in the area. A flight of 7/8h envolves a minimum break of 1h30 . With 16 business class pax up the front plus flight deck to deal with, you think one crew is enough? And if a second one helps up the front (perhaps you not aware of the aer lingus business class service), 2 cc left for 168 pax in Economy where a full service is provided?

I definitely worked on the wrong airline, 1h30min break on a 7-8 hour flight?! Never in my life had that! 4 crew is meager for a full service though, but looking at the galleys on this configuration, there’s barely room for the 4 anyway! xD

Galwayman

Mon Jul 29, 2019 8:50 pm

KeevaOS wrote:
Galwayman wrote:

Just cancel the break - it’s unnecessary on a mid haul flight like this , problem solved , you’re welcome ...

Galwayman

Mon Jul 29, 2019 8:52 pm

EK770 wrote:
KeevaOS wrote:
Galwayman wrote:

I definitely worked on the wrong airline, 1h30min break on a 7-8 hour flight?! Never in my life had that! 4 crew is meager for a full service though, but looking at the galleys on this configuration, there’s barely room for the 4 anyway! xD

There’s clearly a lot of slack in Aer Lingus still even after all the efficiency drives

nrm2004

Mon Jul 29, 2019 9:39 pm

Bare in mind the crew report a minimum of 90 minutes before an 8 hour flight and are on duty for 45min after it lands. That’s a 10+ hour duty with a 5 hour time change. Joe bloggs working an 8 hour 9-5day in an office gets 15min break in the morning, an hour for lunch and a coffee in the afternoon. God forbid the crew should be treated like human beings and get some time off their feet!

shamrock350

Mon Jul 29, 2019 9:49 pm

I didn’t think a 1hr 30min break sounded too extravagant. In my rather relaxed office job I’m entitled to a 30 minute break every 4hrs so on an average working day I’m getting 1hr 15min overall break time and I’m not crossing time zones or in charge of anyone’s safety! Also, the flight time might be 7-8hrs but cabin crew start well before that and could easily be working over 10hrs with the same break allowance.

I think 4 is pushing it on the A321LR personally, business passengers want a quick and efficient service so they can make best use of their time to sleep, work or simply enjoy the experience. With 16 seats up front you’re going to need two crew which leaves the remaining two members to cater for 168 passengers down the back all expecting a full meal service, drinks run and snack service in addition to duty free, rubbish collection and everything else involved. On the short haul hops 4 cabin crew is perfectly acceptable as the service demands are far, far lower but transatlantic will require 5 for the best service possible in my opinion.

As it stands, I believe it’ll start off with 5 anyway thanks to negotiations with the unions but it the airline is still targeting 4 in the long term as that’s what they’ve based their costings and budget on for the A321LR operation. It’ll take some hard negotiation from the unions to get more.

shamrock321

Mon Jul 29, 2019 9:57 pm

With space flex galley and 178 passengers you won’t be getting any break! They are an absolute nightmare to work on as crew...

KeevaOS

Mon Jul 29, 2019 9:59 pm

Galwayman wrote:
KeevaOS wrote:
Galwayman wrote:

Just cancel the break - it’s unnecessary on a mid haul flight like this , problem solved , you’re welcome ...

Unnecessary? Its mandatory by EASA. Clearly wont be discussing this with someone with 0 knowledge on the aviation rules and whats written and to be followed.
And as very well said by shamrock350 the duty starts a well before the departure time. Not even the boarding time that im on about but also briefings etc. Easily 10h duty overall, including time zones, jetlag, etc. When, in any other normal job, would nutrition breaks be ‘cancelled’? You definitely need to inform yourself a bit more.

Shamrock350 from what I read on the other forum it’s more up to the labour court decision if 4 or 5.

eidvm

Mon Jul 29, 2019 10:09 pm

Galwayman wrote:

Even cancelling the break doesn't get rid of the problem of the service taking too long, you'd be waiting 3-4 hours to get your dinner, it;d probably be gone cold by then. It's a matter of having enough staff on the aircraft to get everyone fed and watered quickly enough and let them get some sleep.

Also typically breaks aren't taken until the meal service is finished so the issue isn't with the 1:30 break, it's a red herring.

And as others have mentioned, mandatory to have a break under EASA rest and fatigue rules.

shamrock321

Mon Jul 29, 2019 11:54 pm

KeevaOS wrote:
Galwayman wrote:
KeevaOS wrote:

Unnecessary? Its mandatory by EASA. Clearly wont be discussing this with someone with 0 knowledge on the aviation rules and whats written and to be followed.
And as very well said by shamrock350 the duty starts a well before the departure time. Not even the boarding time that im on about but also briefings etc. Easily 10h duty overall, including time zones, jetlag, etc. When, in any other normal job, would nutrition breaks be ‘cancelled’? You definitely need to inform yourself a bit more.

Shamrock350 from what I read on the other forum it’s more up to the labour court decision if 4 or 5.

To clarify here, EASA rules don’t demand a break on one sector until the duty exceeds 12h30-12h45 reporting at times that EI TA flights departs. Crew operating on a A321LR won’t get anywhere requiring a mandatory break without a long delay, perhaps you need to read up on flight time limitations before accusing any one “with 0 knowledge on the aviation rules”

shamrock350

Tue Jul 30, 2019 1:12 am

Jshank83 wrote:
shamrock350 wrote:
Jshank83 wrote:

Thanks for the update. How many were they originally supposed to have ready to fly this summer? Was it the 4?

It was just the two I believe, the delivery was only about a 4 weeks behind the original plan.

To further my previous post, here's a small update;

EI-LRC, the third aircraft due, has had final assembly and wing join completed with the aircraft now parked outside in the riverside storage area, tail painted and likely awaiting a paint slot for full colours and its engines attached.

EI-LRB, the second aircraft, wasn't spotted which probably means it's been moved to one of the hangers for final works but it's also holiday time at the plant which means progress may be somewhat slow for the next few weeks. If it follows a similar timescale the the first aircraft, delivery could be some time in early to mid September.

That just leaves EI-LRD for this year, likely in the early stages of construction with fuselage parts appearing soon.

Shamrock350

Eagleboy

Tue Jul 30, 2019 3:27 am

Galwayman wrote:
...... ...

Actually 5 required to delivery the multi step TA service, while the EUro run is an easier service. With buy on board only perhaps 75% of pax are dealt with, 1 interaction then clear in the cabin later on. With a “full service” every pax onboard gets drinks, tidy up, meal, hot drink, clear in, snack delivery (and 2nd drink).

Just look at the ratios for the EI fleet;
317/8 crew = 39.6
275/8 crew = 34
174/4 crew = 43.5
212/4 crew = 42.4
184/4 crew = 46 seats per crew on A321LR.

Straight away the LR has the lowest staff ratio in the fleet.
And that’s not even taking into account the increased chance of turbulence interrupting service (FL360 vs FL390), the problems of using carts on a single aisle aircraft with the 3 toilets for 168 ppl co-located with the galley to serve those same 168 ppl. Keep in mind if/when the flight crew need to leave the cockpit the service in J class stops completely. As 2 crew are required to allow a flight crew member to leave the cockpit and keep the galley ‘protected’.
“I’ll top up your Chablis once the captain has had a chance to spend a penny”

As for breaks, well EI crew are entitled to a ‘break’ of 1 hour westbound/45 mins eastbound. (1 hour of an 8-10 hour day) This is an internal IR Agreement. The service won’t stop when 1/4 of the crew are on break (meaning sitting in a takeoff seat in front of J Class8) but the slow pace of delivery with 4 crew in total may make these timings unworkable.
EASA reqs are a different thing than internal agreements. EG. In the delay situation the lack of Class 1 or 2 rest area prevents extension of maximum flight duty period under EASA refs. (Which has gotten EI out of trouble a few times every year on the A330)

EI reworked their J Class a few years ago to get to a place where the entire J class service is complete in under 3 hours from takeoff, 16 seats with 1 1/2 staff will roll back that system unless they reduce the complexity of the service. Which then turns the A321LR into a lower level of service.

Workarounds from EI of changing the J Class service, reducing the service on the LR or offering cash incentives to crew, are just cheap tricks to squeeze the efficiency more and more. In my opinion at the expense of the customer. Will the 30% cost savings from this “ultra modern cost effective new aircraft” be passed on to the passengers? Hell No!
EI will charge the same for an A321 as they do on the A330, even with a lower service service level.

OA260

Tue Jul 30, 2019 7:11 am

Aer Lingus and Ryanair back plan to cut passenger charges
DAA says cutting passenger charges by 22% would curb expansion of Dublin Airport

Aer Lingus and Ryanair have backed proposals to cut passenger charges at Dublin Airport in spite of warnings from Dublin Airport Authority that this would hit badly needed development at the State’s largest airport.

State company DAA, which operates the airport, wants to spend €1.8 billion on extending new aircraft stands, piers and boarding gates, to ease bottlenecks and allow it handle up to 40 million people a year.

www.irishtimes.com/business/transport-a ... 8?mode=amp

Calls For Review Of Shannon Airport Operations

Calls have been made for a review of operations at Shannon Airport to be carried out, with a strategic plan to be set out for the development of the Midwest facility over the coming five years.

It comes in the wake of a tweet from Dublin Airport last week, regarding the Ryder Cup, which was met with anger from many stakeholders in the Midwest.

www.clare.fm/news/aviation/calls-review ... trashed-2/

—-

How ham-and-cheese paninis are saving Ryanair’s dough
With its 737 MAX jets grounded, Ryanair is cooking up new sources of income

FEW READERS of Gulliver will be surprised to hear that Ryanair is the largest low-cost carrier in Europe. Having flown 139m passengers last year, the Irish company is second only to Lufthansa, a group of full-service carriers in central Europe, in terms of numbers flown on the continent. At Ryanair’s current rate of expansion, it will almost certainly take the top spot next year. Slightly more surprisingly, the airline has become huge in the catering world as well. “We’re the largest seller of ham-and-cheese paninis in Europe”, claims Neil Sorahan, the airline’s finance director. He likens its food-and-drink sales to putting “the equivalent of 455 7/11s [convenience stores] in the sky every day”. And with the airline’s announcement on July 29th that profits had fallen 21% year-on-year in the three months to the end of June, Mr Sorahan’s panini takings are more crucial than ever.

www.economist.com/gulliver/2019/07/29/h ... airs-dough

BrianDromey

Tue Jul 30, 2019 8:30 am

NHS doctors get 1 hour “natural breaks” on a 12 hour shift. 30 minutes at 5 hours and 30 minutes beyond 9 hours. So 30 minutes for a “normal” 8 hour day. The time is not protected and we are expected to manage our workload if we want a break. Crew do much better!

Eagleboy wrote:
EI will charge the same for an A321 as they do on the A330, even with a lower service service level.

Clearly the LR routes can be operated by 4 crew. But the reality of delivering the standard of service required is going to be very difficult, or impossible and I can see a lot of complaints and social media comments about “slow” service. EI have selected a relatively premium heavy configuration for the A321LR, 16J is larger than most were expecting.

Just for clarity, what is the 757 operating with? 4 or 5 crew?

JAmie2k9

Tue Jul 30, 2019 9:18 am

Right now B757 operate with 4 crew.

JAmie2k9

Tue Jul 30, 2019 9:19 am

Eagleboy wrote:
Galwayman wrote:
...... ...

Actually 5 required to delivery the multi step TA service, while the EUro run is an easier service. With buy on board only perhaps 75% of pax are dealt with, 1 interaction then clear in the cabin later on. With a “full service” every pax onboard gets drinks, tidy up, meal, hot drink, clear in, snack delivery (and 2nd drink).

Just look at the ratios for the EI fleet;
317/8 crew = 39.6
275/8 crew = 34
174/4 crew = 43.5
212/4 crew = 42.4
184/4 crew = 46 seats per crew on A321LR.

Straight away the LR has the lowest staff ratio in the fleet.
And that’s not even taking into account the increased chance of turbulence interrupting service (FL360 vs FL390), the problems of using carts on a single aisle aircraft with the 3 toilets for 168 ppl co-located with the galley to serve those same 168 ppl. Keep in mind if/when the flight crew need to leave the cockpit the service in J class stops completely. As 2 crew are required to allow a flight crew member to leave the cockpit and keep the galley ‘protected’.
“I’ll top up your Chablis once the captain has had a chance to spend a penny”

As for breaks, well EI crew are entitled to a ‘break’ of 1 hour westbound/45 mins eastbound. (1 hour of an 8-10 hour day) This is an internal IR Agreement. The service won’t stop when 1/4 of the crew are on break (meaning sitting in a takeoff seat in front of J Class8) but the slow pace of delivery with 4 crew in total may make these timings unworkable.
EASA reqs are a different thing than internal agreements. EG. In the delay situation the lack of Class 1 or 2 rest area prevents extension of maximum flight duty period under EASA refs. (Which has gotten EI out of trouble a few times every year on the A330)

EI reworked their J Class a few years ago to get to a place where the entire J class service is complete in under 3 hours from takeoff, 16 seats with 1 1/2 staff will roll back that system unless they reduce the complexity of the service. Which then turns the A321LR into a lower level of service.

Workarounds from EI of changing the J Class service, reducing the service on the LR or offering cash incentives to crew, are just cheap tricks to squeeze the efficiency more and more. In my opinion at the expense of the customer. Will the 30% cost savings from this “ultra modern cost effective new aircraft” be passed on to the passengers? Hell No!

Clydenairways

Tue Jul 30, 2019 10:06 am

Anybody know when EI-LRA will start going on any flights? I presume they will run it to LHR or some short hops for a few days before they send it across the Atlantic.

eicvd

Tue Jul 30, 2019 11:10 am

[quote="Clydenairways"]Anybody know when EI-LRA will start going on any flights? I presume they will run it to LHR or some short hops for a few days before they send it across the Atlantic.[/quote
1st flight is Friday, think it’s to BDL but it’s definitely transatlantic.
COYBIB

eirflot

Tue Jul 30, 2019 12:00 pm

Is it not time the assets of the DAA (specifically the runways, taxi-ways and operational buildings - control tower) reverted to direct government ownership, managed by the DAA? This would alter the revenue requirements and debt shedules of the DAA! Which would allow for a realistic view of charges.

OA260

Tue Jul 30, 2019 12:31 pm

eicvd wrote:
Clydenairways wrote:
Anybody know when EI-LRA will start going on any flights? I presume they will run it to LHR or some short hops for a few days before they send it across the Atlantic.[/quote
1st flight is Friday, think it’s to BDL but it’s definitely transatlantic.

Thats correct unless some last min change.

shamrock350

Tue Jul 30, 2019 3:39 pm

Aer Lingus have released a video of their display with the Irish Air Corps at Bray this past weekend.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PL5sDrZa26k

Shame the Aer Lingus liveried DC-3 wasn't around this time though, unless I missed it.

Shamrock350

EK77WNH

Tue Jul 30, 2019 3:45 pm

Very pleased that EI is able to keep BOS-SNN going through the winter, thanks in part to the A321 coming on-line. Relatives in Killkenny area make SNN more convenient. It's interesting that BOS-SNN was pulled last winter but it's back this winter. Nice to see.
Next Trip:
JAL 7-8 BOS-NRT-BOS, 787-9
September

Clydenairways

Tue Jul 30, 2019 4:17 pm

EK77WNH wrote:
Very pleased that EI is able to keep BOS-SNN going through the winter, thanks in part to the A321 coming on-line. Relatives in Killkenny area make SNN more convenient. It's interesting that BOS-SNN was pulled last winter but it's back this winter. Nice to see.

In addition to this, hopefully the economics are there to consider SNN-ORD A321LR , even if its just on a seasonal basis.

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos