chimborazo

Re: Saudi Arabia as Tourist Destination

Sun Jul 14, 2019 5:53 am

Aside from all th religious aspect....There is next to nothing there. It’s boring and often too hot. I’ve worked in Jeddah, Riyadh, Dammam. Nothing to do....

Spoke with a few of the local team (guys) and asked them what they do. Spend time with family... talk.... hang out... and go to Dubai or Bahrain as often as they can to relax and have a drink.

Spent an evening with a Saudi guy I met in the Marriott in Dubai using my broken Arabic and his broken English: he goes to Dubai for the weekend every two weeks to he can get out of Saudi, relax and have a drink. Enough said!

The standard of driving is ridiculous too. I’ve been in 2 crashes there in company provided transport. And wor betide you if you are a non-Saudi national and get hit by a local: it’s still your fault.

On top of that is the 2 hour wait at immigration for then to process the 5 people in the queue in front of you.

The people I have met- like everywhere really - were friendly and interesting but it’s just so.... boring.

The best bit is 40mins after takeoff when leaving Saudi airspace: “here’s your beer Mr T”

directorguy

Sun Jul 14, 2019 6:02 pm

Saudi Arabia already is a major tourist destination. Millions of people visit the country to perform umra and hajj. All those people stay in hotels (some very high end luxury ones, too), go shopping (buying jewellery, electronics), eat in restaurants, and visit with friends and relatives already living in the Kingdom. All this contributes billions to the Saudi economy. Although it's classified as "religious tourism" a large part of it is leisure as well.

TheFlyingDisk

Sun Jul 14, 2019 11:05 pm

Redd wrote:
TheFlyingDisk wrote:
Redd wrote:

Did you just try to justify the most brutal, ruthless and extremist regime's murderous acts?

What's the difference between death by beheading & death by lethal injections? Both are capital punishments.

The West needs to stop with the hypocrisy. There are plenty of reasons why Saudi Arabia isn't going to be a tourist destination, but their laws, religion & customs aren't one of them.

Their laws, religion and customs are exactly why they will never become a tourist destination.

Banned: Taking pictures of buildings
Banned: Sausage sandwiches
Banned: Going to the cinema
Banned: Learning a musical instrument at school (or playing one in public)
Banned: Going to the gym if you're a woman
Banned: Worshipping any religion other than Islam
Banned: Having a drink on the aeroplane en route to Saudi Arabia
Banned: The mixing of sexes at malls and restaurants
Banned: Selling or wearing anything red on Valentine’s Day
Banned: Women travelling without permission
Banned: Harry Potter & Pokemon
Banned: Public Gatherings
Banned: The names ‘Ben’ and ‘Linda’ - Can't enter if that's your name
Banned: Alcohol

Yeah, but essentially your right, just like the USA. :rotfl:

So you're saying the US don't have laws?

The arrogance shown here is rather unbelievable.
I FLY KLM+ALASKA+QATAR+MALAYSIA+AIRASIA+MALINDO

Redd

Mon Jul 15, 2019 5:49 am

TheFlyingDisk wrote:
Redd wrote:
TheFlyingDisk wrote:

What's the difference between death by beheading & death by lethal injections? Both are capital punishments.

The West needs to stop with the hypocrisy. There are plenty of reasons why Saudi Arabia isn't going to be a tourist destination, but their laws, religion & customs aren't one of them.

Their laws, religion and customs are exactly why they will never become a tourist destination.

Banned: Taking pictures of buildings
Banned: Sausage sandwiches
Banned: Going to the cinema
Banned: Learning a musical instrument at school (or playing one in public)
Banned: Going to the gym if you're a woman
Banned: Worshipping any religion other than Islam
Banned: Having a drink on the aeroplane en route to Saudi Arabia
Banned: The mixing of sexes at malls and restaurants
Banned: Selling or wearing anything red on Valentine’s Day
Banned: Women travelling without permission
Banned: Harry Potter & Pokemon
Banned: Public Gatherings
Banned: Alcohol

Yeah, but essentially your right, just like the USA. :rotfl:

How could you have possibly construed that I had said the US doesn't have laws?

TheFlyingDisk

Mon Jul 15, 2019 5:55 am

Redd wrote:

Because you listed out laws that is enacted in Saudi Arabia.

Not every culture follows the West. To ridicule their laws based on their culture is arrogance bar none.
I FLY KLM+ALASKA+QATAR+MALAYSIA+AIRASIA+MALINDO

Redd

Mon Jul 15, 2019 6:03 am

TheFlyingDisk wrote:
Redd wrote:

Because you listed out laws that is enacted in Saudi Arabia.

Not every culture follows the West. To ridicule their laws based on their culture is arrogance bar none.

No one is advocating that every culture follows the West, in fact, it would make the world quite boring if every culture did. Saudi Arabia's laws are tyrannical and barbaric, any other culture expressing their culture in Saudi Arabia faces the penalty of prison or possibly worse for doing so. Speaking out about the tyranny and barbarity will get you killed, apparently even if you're not in the country, like Khashoggi.

If you want to live in a place, or even visit a place which has the worst record of any country for human rights, by all means, do so. But do not dress a wolf in sheep's clothing.

SCQ83

Mon Jul 15, 2019 8:55 am

TheFlyingDisk wrote:

Not to mention most of what the poster has said is untrue. This thread is almost hilarious.

N14AZ

Mon Jul 15, 2019 12:43 pm

Redd wrote:

What? I never heard of this restriction but by means of a Google search I found some Information (see link below). What's the reason for Linda or Alice?
https://www.independent.co.uk/news/worl ... 92298.html

slider

Mon Jul 15, 2019 12:52 pm

steveinbc wrote:
Saudi is a corrupt and despotic regime controlled by a regal dictatorship. There's a significant amount of 'tourism' for the Muslim pilgrimages. But I see no real interest beyond that. Westerners cannot swim in mixed sex pools, have an. Alcoholic drink, and it's not s foodie destination. So what's left? Not my cup tea.

Bingo. In a hot landlocked part of the sandbox. Hard pass.

And yeah, no adult beverages makes it a total pass.

It's a ginormous world out there, folks, with incredible places, cultures, things to do. Saudi is not one of those places. Sorry not sorry.

ArchGuy1
Topic Author

Mon Jul 15, 2019 11:44 pm

Women are now allowed to vote and drive in Saudi Arabia and they are developing the Red Sea coast as a tourist destination. Along with cinemas now legal, the world's tallest building will be opened in Jeddah and should be a major tourist attraction.

DIRECTFLT

Tue Jul 16, 2019 12:19 am

The Neom "District" will encompass the "Real" Mt. Sinai, so that would be worth visiting, one of the most historic sites in all Judaism.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YjrxHqNy5CQ
Smoothest Ride so far ~ AA A300B4-600R ~~ Favorite Aviation Author ~ Robert J. Serling

santi319

Tue Jul 16, 2019 8:09 am

Um nope.... you can’t even visit Saudi Arabia if you are a woman and you are not married or traveling with your father or brother.

What is with the obsession for that peninsula, besides Oman, no one there offers ANYTHING besides sand and fake beaches with malls add a splash of massive human rights violations and double morale too.

N757ST

Tue Jul 16, 2019 11:20 am

ArchGuy1 wrote:
Women are now allowed to vote and drive in Saudi Arabia and they are developing the Red Sea coast as a tourist destination. Along with cinemas now legal, the world's tallest building will be opened in Jeddah and should be a major tourist attraction.

Yay, women can finally drive, but still need permission from their guardian to even attend university of marry. Yay, they can vote in limited elections for what... chamber of commerce? The women that advocated for all those women to be able to drive is still in jail AFAIK, that’s some progress.

Start treating women like citizens and not property, and maybe you’ll see a trickle of additional tourism. Until that country exits the Stone Age though don’t expect a lot of non religious tourism to bless the shores.

I’ve had a lot of friends that have lived in the KSA btw, they spoke of the people being nice enough but all of them couldn’t wait to leave and would take every opportunity to leave when they could. Theflyingdisk.... not everyone has to follow western values, but if you don’t then don’t expect westerners or free thinkers for that matter to visit. Us westerners aren’t perfect by any means, but at least our governments don’t sanction our death or imprisonment if we don’t fall lock step with the governments version of morality.

slider

Tue Jul 16, 2019 1:12 pm

TheFlyingDisk wrote:
Redd wrote:
TheFlyingDisk wrote:
Are you going there to commit terrorism {the reason to those beheadings)? Surely I would think that the same thing is going to occur in America if you do harm while visiting there right? Especially in Texas...

Did you just try to justify the most brutal, ruthless and extremist regime's murderous acts?

Oh, OK. Keep telling yourself that.

ArchGuy1
Topic Author

Tue Jul 16, 2019 3:13 pm

santi319 wrote:
Um nope.... you can’t even visit Saudi Arabia if you are a woman and you are not married or traveling with your father or brother.

What is with the obsession for that peninsula, besides Oman, no one there offers ANYTHING besides sand and fake beaches with malls add a splash of massive human rights violations and double morale too.

Dubai has the world's tallest building, the historic Dubai Museum, and the souls in Delta and Bur Dubai.

B777LRF

Fri Jul 19, 2019 5:56 am

L410Turbolet wrote:
What does Qatar have on offer which may attract the average tourist?

From someone who had the displeasure of living there for the better part of 6 months: Not much more than Saudi, actually, is the answer. You can buy exceedingly overpriced alcohol in hotel bars and clubs, the few of them there are, and there's a somewhat small collection of prostitutes around a couple of hotels. And there's a couple of malls, pedelling the exact same shyte you can buy anywhere in the world, but at much higher prices. Even the old soukh can be seen and done in less than an hour.

As one expat I met during my first weeks there said, when I asked what to do for fun in Qatar: Grab a flight to Dubai. Now, with the boycott, that's not possible anymore.
Signature. You just read one.

fallap

Fri Jul 19, 2019 6:06 am

einsteinboricua wrote:
The only way Saudi Arabia can become a booming tourist destination (akin to the UAE) is if they plan a city (probably along the Red Sea) that's meant exclusively for tourism. No one, except those with proper visas, can leave the city unless by flight to Riyadh or Jeddah to connect on a flight (unless Saudia decides to make that city an internaitonal hub as well).

In a land where medieval rules are the norm, it will be a tough sell to attract tourists to a place where alcohol is banned, women must be modestly dressed and can't be alone, and even the slightest rule breaking could mean a harsh punishment. They'll have to turn a blind-eye to this area and take it out of reach from the religious police (in other words, a Saudi version of the One China, Two Systems system).

Perhaps creating special tourist "habitats" where only tourists and foreign workers can stay out of sight of the local Saudis, could be the solution. Just look at the Maldives, on the islands populated by the local population tourists must adhere to more strict laws and customs (no alcohol consumption allowed and beachwear is only allowed at designated beaches) - where those laws do not apply at the resort islands.
Ex grease monkey buried head to toe inside an F-16M
Now studying Political Science

LH658

Sun Jul 21, 2019 8:59 am

UAE mainly successful cause people in countries like Iran, Pakistan, India, Somalia, Ethiopia, Iraq, Sri Lanka, and etc can come meet, party, and etc. Also for their corrupt elites to keep their luxuries.

Aesma

Sun Jul 21, 2019 1:17 pm

In Doha there is the new National Museum of Qatar that I would be interested to visit. Maybe during a stop on a journey to elsewhere.
New Technology is the name we give to stuff that doesn't work yet. Douglas Adams

ArchGuy1
Topic Author

Sun Oct 06, 2019 1:41 am

Here is a link to an article about the opening of Saudi Arabia to foreign tourists. Tourist sites that can be visited include Madina'h Salah, the historic area in Jeddah, Masmak Fortress in Riyadh, and the Kingdom Center in Riyadh. An Ebola system will be in place for nationals of 49 countries, women will be allowed to travel alone, not required to wear an abaya but still have to be modestly dressed, alcohol will still be banned, and non Muslims will still be banned from Mecca and Medina.
https://www.bbc.com/news/world-middle-east-49850056

sonicruiser

Sun Oct 06, 2019 2:24 am

Iran is a waaaaaaaaaaaay better place to visit than Saudi Arabia both from a cultural and scenic point of view. Much more socially relaxed atmosphere, far more storied history from the Persian empire, much friendlier people, and an incredibly beautiful and diverse landscape from Dasht-e-Kavir to Shemshak to the Caspian coast. I would actually say Iran is probably one of the best places to visit in the world. So even if Saudi Arabia can fix its backwards and oppressive culture, its biggest obstacle is not itself but that it will always be competing with its more popular neighbor to the north, Iran. Where else in the Middle East can you ski outdoors and hit the sand dunes in the same day?

https://www.nationalgeographic.com/trav ... l-wonders/

scbriml

Sun Oct 06, 2019 11:13 am

TheFlyingDisk wrote:

The West needs to stop with the hypocrisy.

You're painting with a very broad brush there - most of "The West" doesn't have the death penalty.

Having lived and worked in Saudi Arabia, absolutely nothing they could do would entice me to return voluntarily. Not happening. Ever.
Time flies like an arrow. Fruit flies like a banana!
There are 10 types of people in the World - those that understand binary and those that don't.

BN747

Sun Oct 06, 2019 1:54 pm

I'd rather spend a weekend in Beirut or Benghazi...

BN747
"Home of the Brave, made by the Slaves..Land of the Free, if you look like me.." T. Jefferson

ArchGuy1
Topic Author

Mon Oct 07, 2019 9:44 pm

Unmarried couples are now allowed to share a room together in Saudi Arabia, something that is not even allowed in the United Arab Emirates.
https://www.cnn.com/travel/article/saud ... index.html

scbriml

Mon Oct 07, 2019 10:21 pm

ArchGuy1 wrote:
Unmarried couples are now allowed to share a room together in Saudi Arabia, something that is not even allowed in the United Arab Emirates.

If you think there are no unmarried couples sharing a hotel room in the UAE, I have a bridge you may be interested in buying
Time flies like an arrow. Fruit flies like a banana!
There are 10 types of people in the World - those that understand binary and those that don't.

1989worstyear

Tue Oct 08, 2019 2:27 am

scbriml wrote:
TheFlyingDisk wrote:

The West needs to stop with the hypocrisy.

You're painting with a very broad brush there - most of "The West" doesn't have the death penalty.

Having lived and worked in Saudi Arabia, absolutely nothing they could do would entice me to return voluntarily. Not happening. Ever.

The US doesn't execute gay people, for starters...
Stuck at age 15 thanks to the certification date of the A320-200 and my parents' decision to postpone having a kid by 3 years. At least there's Dignitas...

Aaron747

Tue Oct 08, 2019 2:49 am

ArchGuy1 wrote:

Oh believe me, it happens, especially in hotels owned by Indians or foreign entities.

As for KSA, pretty silly that they will allow tourists to get up to no good and then expect the locals waiting on them to go back home to draconian life controls. Sounds like a recipe for future backlash.
If you need someone to blame / throw a rock in the air / you'll hit someone guilty

TheF15Ace

Tue Oct 08, 2019 3:25 am

ArchGuy1 wrote:

There aren't enough jails in the UAE to enforce this or most of the dress code laws Dubai still has on the books :lol:

ArchGuy1
Topic Author

Tue Oct 08, 2019 3:39 am

ArchGuy1 wrote:
Here is a link to an article about the opening of Saudi Arabia to foreign tourists. Tourist sites that can be visited include Madina'h Salah, the historic area in Jeddah, Masmak Fortress in Riyadh, and the Kingdom Center in Riyadh. An Ebola system will be in place for nationals of 49 countries, women will be allowed to travel alone, not required to wear an abaya but still have to be modestly dressed, alcohol will still be banned, and non Muslims will still be banned from Mecca and Medina.
https://www.bbc.com/news/world-middle-east-49850056

I actually meant evisa system, not ebola system.