MedFlyerArg85
Topic Author

AussieHolidays(5) - Regional Express' Saab 340 Ballina-Grafton-Sydney

Fri Jul 12, 2019 9:28 pm

Day 11
After spending a beautiful day in Port Macquarie, a took a Greyhound's bus to Byron Bay. It was a red eye ride so I arrived early the following morning.

Day 12

Had breakfast by the beach.

Day 13

Day 14/b]
Byron Bay's lighthouse. It's the eastern point in continental Australia.

It was all beach and sea for three days. Not so much trekking done except the visit to the lighthouse. I needed to slow down a bit and take a rest from my holidays :biggrin:

[b]Day 15

I woke up super early and tried to get an Uber but it was useless, so decided to take a taxi to Ballina where is located the airport serving Ballina and Byron Bay as well (35ish km)
Once there, dropped my luggage and cleared security. Then, I had breakfast while I was waiting for my flight to be called.

REX - Regional Express ZL 211.
Monday April 15th 2019.
Ballina Byron Gateway Airport (BNK/YBNA): 06.20 [06.32]
Grafton Clarence Valley Regional Airport (GFN/YGFN): [06.49]
Distance: 115 km
Flight Time: 17 minutes.

My aircraft was VH-ZXQ. A 1997-built Saab 340B.

The man standing next to the first officer told me something (which I didn't get) but it had to do with me taking photos.

The small terminal. In despite of this, many airlines fly to Ballina: FlyPelican, Jetstar, Virgin Australia and REX.

There was only a FA who was in charge of the security aboard and offering service as well.

Legroom. Adequate for this kind of flight. My seat was 10A.

Going to the runway.

Taking off from runway 24.

TAKE OFF VIDEO FROM BALLINA

Once airborne, we were informed that we'd make a shor stop at Grafton to pick some pax. This stop wasn't planned (at least I wasn't informed previously). Nonetheless, it was ok as it meant an extra landing and an extra take off :bouncy:

For this 15-min short hop, we flew at 8000 feet.

Descending.

Landed on runway 18.

LANDING VIDEO GRAFTON

We were asked to wait in the tiny terminal. REX is the sole operator to Grafton.

My first time flying on a Saab.

REX - Regional Express ZL 211.
Monday April 15th 2019.
Grafton-Clarence Valley Regional Airport (GFN/YGFN): [07.34]
Sydney Kingsford Smith Intl Airport (SYD/YSSY): 08.20 [08.48]
Distance: 497 km.
Flight Time: 1hour 14 minutes.

Boarding.

We took off from runway 18.

TAKE OFF VIDEO GRAFTON

Once reached our FL280, kind Zoey offered service. Amazing for a regional carrier and for a flight of this lenght.

Salty chickpeas snacks, water and coffee and milk.

Central Coast.

Sorry about the glare. I chose this side of the airplane in order to watch Sydney Harbour but the sun was playing its part.

Landing on runway 16L.

LANDING VIDEO SYDNEY

Then we went straight up to Terminal 2, from where all australian airlines operate. Qantas and QantasLink use Terminal 3.

A fellow REX's Saab 340: VH-ZRK.

FULL FLIGHT REPORT VIDEO
Flown: B717 - B722 - B732 - B737 - B738 - B742 - B744 - B762 - B789 - MD82 - MD83 - MD11 - A306 - A320 - A321 - A319 - A330 - J32 - SF340 - ATR72-600

Ryanair01

Re: AussieHolidays(5) - Regional Express' Saab 340 Ballina-Grafton-Sydney

Sun Jul 21, 2019 7:10 pm

This must be the first time someone has reported on a Byron Bay - Grafton sector! It looks like a decent flight with REX.

MedFlyerArg85
Topic Author

Mon Jul 22, 2019 8:39 pm

Ryanair01 wrote:
This must be the first time someone has reported on a Byron Bay - Grafton sector! It looks like a decent flight with REX.

Yes, it is. And the second one on the forum. Also, my trip report featuring FlyPelican wasn't the very first one here on airliners.net. I've found an older one.
Flown: B717 - B722 - B732 - B737 - B738 - B742 - B744 - B762 - B789 - MD82 - MD83 - MD11 - A306 - A320 - A321 - A319 - A330 - J32 - SF340 - ATR72-600

VapourTrails

Sun Aug 11, 2019 4:47 am

MedFlyerArg85 wrote:
The man standing next to the first officer told me something (which I didn't get) but it had to do with me taking photos.

Hello, been enjoying your Australian reports here, plus video. I used to fly Regional Express when they flew to DPO. They always had good service. The Saab 340 was always a reliable one too. They only fly to BWT in Tasmania now.

I got in trouble at SYD for taking photos like you mention. They usually make an announcement, something along the lines of, your phone (including using it to take photos) is not to be in use between the gate lounge and the aircraft. If the announcement is not made, then I take it as being OK, which really, it isn't - but still! : :half:

Those beaches look gorgeous, you have seen more of New South Wales than I have. :thumbsup: Combining beaches and airports, Moruya is a good one to visit, the airport is right next to the beach and you can watch the planes arrive and take off very close. REX fly from Sydney via Moruya down to Merimbula - short flights.

Cheers. =

MedFlyerArg85
Topic Author

Mon Aug 12, 2019 7:56 pm

VapourTrails wrote:
MedFlyerArg85 wrote:

Hello, been enjoying your Australian reports here, plus video. I used to fly Regional Express when they flew to DPO. They always had good service. The Saab 340 was always a reliable one too. They only fly to BWT in Tasmania now.

I got in trouble at SYD for taking photos like you mention. They usually make an announcement, something along the lines of, your phone (including using it to take photos) is not to be in use between the gate lounge and the aircraft. If the announcement is not made, then I take it as being OK, which really, it isn't - but still! : :half:

Those beaches look gorgeous, you have seen more of New South Wales than I have. :thumbsup: Combining beaches and airports, Moruya is a good one to visit, the airport is right next to the beach and you can watch the planes arrive and take off very close. REX fly from Sydney via Moruya down to Merimbula - short flights.

Cheers. =

Thank you for keeping up with my reports.
I should have visited Merimbula!. It´s awesome down there. Maybe next time I visit Australia.
Cheers!