Dieuwer
Posts: 1627
Joined: Tue Dec 26, 2017 6:27 pm

Re: Do NOT travel to Hong Kong, in particular on weekends

Mon Aug 26, 2019 5:39 pm

anrec80 wrote:
Dieuwer wrote:
History has taught us that when government turns against its own people, the smartest thing to do is to leave immediately. Not stay and fight, but leave.


But in practice very few of those “freedom lovers” actually leave, and it’s the same everywhere. They know that they won’t get the same standard of living elsewhere. Russia’s example Navalny and Sobol. They don’t since in Russia he is an “opposition leader”, she is a prominent lawyer (and also an “opposition member”). Who will they be in the USA and what awaits for them? Construction workers or Uber drivers at best.

Same with Hong Kong’s Joshua Wong. There he is an “opposition leader”. Who will he be in the USA? He doesn’t know anything other than how to fight the regime and stage protests. There is no demand for this in the USA. And they don’t have any other in-demand skills. Furthermore, I will not be surprised if USA authorities are in fact careful about granting them a visa.

So USSR in 1970s was smart about their “dissidents” - they were just allowed to leave without any right to come back. Which turned out to be a very efficient and severe penalty - those people were prominent at home, and went all the way to the social bottom in the new country. Brighton Beach here in NYC is full of these stories.


Albert Einstein, Hans Bethe, John von Neumann, Leo Szilard, James Franck, Edward Teller, Rudolf Peierls, and Klaus Fuchs disagree with you.
The list of Soviet and Eastern Bloc "defectors" is even longer: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_S ... _defectors

And not all of those on the defectors' list were top brass. Many were just middle class people. And no, they did not go "all the way to the social bottom in the new country."

Regarding a new job for Joshua Wong: maybe Amnesty International has a job opening for him?
 
zakuivcustom
Posts: 2851
Joined: Sat Jun 10, 2017 3:32 am

Re: Do NOT travel to Hong Kong, in particular on weekends

Mon Aug 26, 2019 6:34 pm

Dieuwer wrote:
Regarding a new job for Joshua Wong: maybe Amnesty International has a job opening for him?


He can always just further his studies in US anyway. Job? There are plenty of NGOs that can provide him with a job. (Side note, IIRC his family is pretty well off anyway).

BTW, the only one that really think people like Joshua Wong still have any influence over the protests nowaday are the pro-China idiots. The protesters care less about him, and basically he can do his thing (i.e. being somebody that can talk to US officials) while the protesters do their own thing (from mass protest to being "radicals" and force the issue).
Free Hong Kong! Free China!
 
seat64k
Posts: 531
Joined: Fri Mar 14, 2014 11:48 pm

Re: Do NOT travel to Hong Kong, in particular on weekends

Mon Aug 26, 2019 7:00 pm

zakuivcustom wrote:
The main problem started as Carrie Lam would not be willing to just expand the extradition treaty to just Taiwan - bc it would otherwise “imply” that Taiwan is separate from China (something that mainland Chinese gov’t won’t ever accept). Thus, when she proposed to expand the extradition treaty, she included Taiwan, Macau, and mainland China.


And that's the clearest demonstration that she is completely unfit to be the head of government. If she had any sense at all, she would have judged the bill not worth it.

zakuivcustom wrote:
The bottom line is, HK is heavily divided, but HK is also still very united.


Interestingly, among my friends and colleagues, support for the the protesters are drastically more, even at this late stage, than at any point during the 2014 protest. Back then I had one colleague who participated, maybe two or so more that repost stuff on social media. The rest's attitudes varied from "kids - shrug" to being annoyed at the inconvenience.

This time is different. For one, it's not just the kids, although it seems to be mostly the younger ones at the sharp end of the skirmishes with police. It's people of all ages. Most of my friends and colleagues are participating - even the ones who grumbled about it last time. These are professionals between the ages of late 20s and retirement.

The other thing that I'm completely surprised by is the number of mainlanders I know who are participating, or are at least sympathetic. Last time around it was zero. This time there's a dozen or so that I know of (mostly from overhearing conversations in Mandarin).

I'll agree with you regarding the focus. Keeping the pressure on the area around the government would be much more effective. Agitating the police really doesn't help.

P.S. How does nobody even step down by now is beyond me - but then, you wonder why the protests get worse and worse - it is exactly bc the govt is not taking any responsibility, and only want to shut down the opposing voice.

IMHO, even if the govt arrest everybody, that is still not going to do squat. There is no path forward for governance anyway. Long term economic effect is dired also - there is no way international business won’t think twice when they invest in HK if all the govt does is just continuing to “shoot the messenger” while not having any intention to solve the problem.[/quote]
 
zakuivcustom
Posts: 2851
Joined: Sat Jun 10, 2017 3:32 am

Re: Do NOT travel to Hong Kong, in particular on weekends

Mon Aug 26, 2019 8:05 pm

seat64k wrote:
nterestingly, among my friends and colleagues, support for the the protesters are drastically more, even at this late stage, than at any point during the 2014 protest. Back then I had one colleague who participated, maybe two or so more that repost stuff on social media. The rest's attitudes varied from "kids - shrug" to being annoyed at the inconvenience.

This time is different. For one, it's not just the kids, although it seems to be mostly the younger ones at the sharp end of the skirmishes with police. It's people of all ages. Most of my friends and colleagues are participating - even the ones who grumbled about it last time. These are professionals between the ages of late 20s and retirement.

The other thing that I'm completely surprised by is the number of mainlanders I know who are participating, or are at least sympathetic. Last time around it was zero. This time there's a dozen or so that I know of (mostly from overhearing conversations in Mandarin).


And it's also something that I observed also, but certainly not something that the gov't even remotely grasp. The "silent majority" is actually against the gov't this time, and especially, many are certainly not happy about the fact that the gov't still doesn't have any intention to solve the problem. But no, Carrie Lam and her cronies still think the majority of HKers are with them, while NOT understand that while the "silent majority" may not agree with the "violent" action of the youths, that doesn't mean they like the gov't that much more.

Hack, numerous business leaders, professionals (i.e. financial sector, accountants, medical professionals, etc.) came out saying that the gov't should open an "independent inquiry" (one of the demand), and formally withdrawn the modification to the extradition treaty (another one of the 5 demands), but even THAT has fallen on deaf ears to Carrie Lam and her cronies.

The mainlander part definitely surprise me, though. Maybe that's why the central gov't is starting their propaganda machine lately - they certainly don't want more mainlanders to be sympathetic.

seat64k wrote:
And that's the clearest demonstration that she is completely unfit to be the head of government. If she had any sense at all, she would have judged the bill not worth it.


Everyone knows that she's just a puppet of central Chinese gov't anyway. On the other hand, even puppet can use their sense, i.e. CY Leung.

Plus AFAIK nobody in central Chinese gov't is pushing for the extradition bill anyway (Things like Article 23 or even the "National Anthem Bill" are arguably more important to central Chinese gov't) - it's all Carrie Lam's own doing.

seat64k wrote:
I'll agree with you regarding the focus. Keeping the pressure on the area around the government would be much more effective. Agitating the police really doesn't help.


Too bad there is certain group of protesters still think agitating the police is "fun"...meanwhile just to get more of them arrested (3 more in Shum Shui Po today and 1 in Wong Tai Sin) while not achieving anything. Yes, I know they hate the popo (I wouldn't trust many of the popo either), but seriously, they really think the popo are not prepared for whatever the protesters will do when they already did the same thing for so many times?
Free Hong Kong! Free China!
 
seat64k
Posts: 531
Joined: Fri Mar 14, 2014 11:48 pm

Re: Do NOT travel to Hong Kong, in particular on weekends

Mon Aug 26, 2019 9:00 pm

zakuivcustom wrote:
The mainlander part definitely surprise me, though. Maybe that's why the central gov't is starting their propaganda machine lately - they certainly don't want more mainlanders to be sympathetic.


Oh make no mistake, it's on full throttle.

zakuivcustom wrote:
Plus AFAIK nobody in central Chinese gov't is pushing for the extradition bill anyway (Things like Article 23 or even the "National Anthem Bill" are arguably more important to central Chinese gov't) - it's all Carrie Lam's own doing.


Some documents from the government apparently show this. Which makes it all the more frustrating.

zakuivcustom wrote:
Too bad there is certain group of protesters still think agitating the police is "fun"...meanwhile just to get more of them arrested (3 more in Shum Shui Po today and 1 in Wong Tai Sin) while not achieving anything. Yes, I know they hate the popo (I wouldn't trust many of the popo either), but seriously, they really think the popo are not prepared for whatever the protesters will do when they already did the same thing for so many times?


Play stupid games, win stupid prizes. I don't have sympathy for people who get arrested when they throw molotov cocktails at the police. But it frustrates me because they're undermining the protest and doing more harm than they can apparently appreciate.
 
zakuivcustom
Posts: 2851
Joined: Sat Jun 10, 2017 3:32 am

Re: Do NOT travel to Hong Kong, in particular on weekends

Mon Aug 26, 2019 9:38 pm

seat64k wrote:
Play stupid games, win stupid prizes. I don't have sympathy for people who get arrested when they throw molotov cocktails at the police. But it frustrates me because they're undermining the protest and doing more harm than they can apparently appreciate.


And I definitely agree with you. Hack, the "radicals" can try to pin this on the police "undercover" all they want, but even I won't believe that all those "molotovs" or mob of protesters rushing at police are the work of "undercover" - the police aren't going to be THIS risky (i.e. doing things that may hurt one of their own) even if there are undercovers.

The main problem I have with those "radicals" is that they don't know when to stop - i.e. at times they just go all-in, without any strategy whatsoever, just to get arrested, while expecting everyone else to cover their behind every single time they went "too far". And as you said - there are bound to be people that feels that they come out to protests for naught - as every single time it's "hijacked" by those confrontations with police after the main protest. Oh, and there are many times that the one that are arrested are not those "radicals" (b/c, well, the police are somewhat incapable of doing so), but, rather, they arrest whoever they caught up to - often "peaceful" protesters or even ordinary citizens that happened to be nearby, almost to fill some quotas.

Sigh...it's frustrating times, with no end in sight, not with this totally inept gov't incapable of solving any problem.

P.S. I wonder how long before one of the reporters throw their microphone (or whatever) at Carrie Lam during one of her useless press conference. Will see tomorrow.
Free Hong Kong! Free China!
 
anrec80
Posts: 2197
Joined: Mon Jan 10, 2011 7:50 am

Re: Do NOT travel to Hong Kong, in particular on weekends

Tue Aug 27, 2019 7:21 am

zakuivcustom wrote:
Dieuwer wrote:
Regarding a new job for Joshua Wong: maybe Amnesty International has a job opening for him?


He can always just further his studies in US anyway. Job? There are plenty of NGOs that can provide him with a job. (Side note, IIRC his family is pretty well off anyway).

BTW, the only one that really think people like Joshua Wong still have any influence over the protests nowaday are the pro-China idiots. The protesters care less about him, and basically he can do his thing (i.e. being somebody that can talk to US officials) while the protesters do their own thing (from mass protest to being "radicals" and force the issue).


Couple of points here. First - the reality is that such “opposition leaders”, even the most successful ones - are rarely even admitted to the USA. Look at Saakashvili of Georgia - all he got after his presidency is some contract for a class in a Brooklyn college for a semester, after which he left the country. He was even rejected for an American visa after that.

Second - what do US officials doing talking to protests leaders? Anyone sees anything wrong with this? What if Russian U.N. Envoy or a consul joined “Occupy Wall Street”? Or Chinese ambassador was on the stage of women’s marches next to cursing Madonna? How would that be viewed? I don’t get why HK doesn’t ask those US officials to leave.
 
seat64k
Posts: 531
Joined: Fri Mar 14, 2014 11:48 pm

Re: Do NOT travel to Hong Kong, in particular on weekends

Tue Aug 27, 2019 12:38 pm

zakuivcustom wrote:
P.S. I wonder how long before one of the reporters throw their microphone (or whatever) at Carrie Lam during one of her useless press conference. Will see tomorrow.


Another great demonstration of not getting it. <sigh>
 
zakuivcustom
Posts: 2851
Joined: Sat Jun 10, 2017 3:32 am

Re: Do NOT travel to Hong Kong, in particular on weekends

Tue Aug 27, 2019 1:31 pm

seat64k wrote:
zakuivcustom wrote:
P.S. I wonder how long before one of the reporters throw their microphone (or whatever) at Carrie Lam during one of her useless press conference. Will see tomorrow.


Another great demonstration of not getting it. <sigh>


Well, she always help fueling the fire every week, so there's that.

And at least she makes it clear that she'll more or less stop at nothing just to make the protest go away, then the problem is "solved". Hack, she can't even say what's in the conversation with those 30 "representatives" even though it was a pro-CCP newspaper that ask (Wen Wei Po) about the details. But of course, it doesn't matter, b/c everyone knows that those "conversations" involved everyone else talking, then she will just ignored everything everyone else said anyway.

There are rumors that she may use "Emergency Act", which would be similar to declaring martial law/state of emergency in US, as if that will just scare people enough to go away. Let's just arrest the millions of protester, that should shut everyone up :banghead: :banghead:
Free Hong Kong! Free China!
 
 
zakuivcustom
Posts: 2851
Joined: Sat Jun 10, 2017 3:32 am

Re: Do NOT travel to Hong Kong, in particular on weekends

Wed Aug 28, 2019 1:51 pm

melpax wrote:


This is NOT outside Cathay City (The one at the airport), as that rally was banned with the police giving some BS reason using the injunction at the airport. The rally was from Edinburgh Square in Central to Pacific Place in Admiralty, with Pacific Place being the operational HQ for Swire Pacific (Parent company of CX) in HK.

The "white terror" is certainly still going on in CX/KA, though, with tons of brown-noser more or less just print out a few screenshots on places like FB/IG and boom, fired. That's REALLY going to help the morale :banghead: :banghead:
Free Hong Kong! Free China!
 
zakuivcustom
Posts: 2851
Joined: Sat Jun 10, 2017 3:32 am

Re: Do NOT travel to Hong Kong, in particular on weekends

Fri Aug 30, 2019 3:40 am

Well, and they arrested Joshua Wong and Agnes Chow (along with some other guy from Demosisto according to CNN) on stupid charges like "inciting a illegal assembly" on June 21st around Police HQ.

Meanwhile, the "radicals" literally shrugs that off, and the "peaceful" protesters are more like "are they trying to make sure more people protest tomorrow (8/31)". The protest (along with assembly) tomorrow was not approved (as I expected), but more than likely there will still be protests. And with the "official" protest not approved, I can only see the "radical" protesters getting even more, well, "radical".

We'll see on Saturday. Of course, HK gov't action makes me scratch my head every single time, as they seriously believe that arresting a few pro-democracy "leaders" are going to shut everything down (It won't...). Meanwhile, this pretty much guarantee that the "Hong Kong Human Rights and Democracy Act of 2019" is going to get passed in US Congress (Scheduled on Sept. 9 IIRC) - with Joshua Wong being one of the main go between person for US.
Free Hong Kong! Free China!
 
Dieuwer
Posts: 1627
Joined: Tue Dec 26, 2017 6:27 pm

Re: Do NOT travel to Hong Kong, in particular on weekends

Fri Aug 30, 2019 1:58 pm

zakuivcustom wrote:
Well, and they arrested Joshua Wong and Agnes Chow (along with some other guy from Demosisto according to CNN) on stupid charges like "inciting a illegal assembly" on June 21st around Police HQ.

Meanwhile, the "radicals" literally shrugs that off, and the "peaceful" protesters are more like "are they trying to make sure more people protest tomorrow (8/31)". The protest (along with assembly) tomorrow was not approved (as I expected), but more than likely there will still be protests. And with the "official" protest not approved, I can only see the "radical" protesters getting even more, well, "radical".

We'll see on Saturday. Of course, HK gov't action makes me scratch my head every single time, as they seriously believe that arresting a few pro-democracy "leaders" are going to shut everything down (It won't...). Meanwhile, this pretty much guarantee that the "Hong Kong Human Rights and Democracy Act of 2019" is going to get passed in US Congress (Scheduled on Sept. 9 IIRC) - with Joshua Wong being one of the main go between person for US.


Are you sure those leaders will stay in Hong Kong, or secretly extradited to mainland China and put in a "re-education camp"?
 
zakuivcustom
Posts: 2851
Joined: Sat Jun 10, 2017 3:32 am

Re: Do NOT travel to Hong Kong, in particular on weekends

Fri Aug 30, 2019 4:36 pm

Dieuwer wrote:
Are you sure those leaders will stay in Hong Kong, or secretly extradited to mainland China and put in a "re-education camp"?


For now, no. They were bailed out today (Which surprise me, as speculation is that they'll held him for the maximum legal detention period of 48 hours just so that they'll be in some jail cell during tomorrow's "shopping day").

Meanwhile, three members of LegCo, including Jeremy Tam (The ex-CX pilot), along with Au Lok-hin and Cheng Chung-tai. The former two were named directly by the head of Junior Police Organization in a letter back in July, and were arrested for BS "Interfering with police officer enforcing law" as they step in front of the police during the July 7 protest and questioned the police and their actions. The latter was arrested for illegally entering LegCo (as a LegCo member...yep) along with vandalism during the July 1st "storming" of LegCo.

And thus, the "purge" truly begin, as if that'll just silent the people.
Free Hong Kong! Free China!
 
zakuivcustom
Posts: 2851
Joined: Sat Jun 10, 2017 3:32 am

Re: Do NOT travel to Hong Kong, in particular on weekends

Sat Aug 31, 2019 3:58 pm

I take my word back about "Stop instigating the police" from a few posts earlier. Just burn all the police station down!

Seriously, just b/c they want to arrest everyone, now they're running into MTR trains and use their police batons, with zero regards to possibly hurting innocent civilians? So call "disciplined" service that are creating dangers in HK every single day?

Regardless, the thread title is correct, DO NOT TRAVEL TO HONG KONG! Oh, and who needs PLA when HKPF can do the job themselves.

Down with Carrie Lam! Down with HK Gov't! Down with CCP! Dissolved HKPF Now!
Free Hong Kong! Free China!
 
seat64k
Posts: 531
Joined: Fri Mar 14, 2014 11:48 pm

Re: Do NOT travel to Hong Kong, in particular on weekends

Sat Aug 31, 2019 5:37 pm

Dieuwer wrote:
Are you sure those leaders will stay in Hong Kong, or secretly extradited to mainland China and put in a "re-education camp"?


HK police might have their problems but they're not sending people over the border. Heck, it's the fact that the government want to make this possible that sparked the protests in the first place.

The Hong Kongers who end up disappearing in China tend to get picked up in China where they went themselves. The bookseller lived in Shenzhen. The UK embassy guy went to Shenzhen for the day.
 
zakuivcustom
Posts: 2851
Joined: Sat Jun 10, 2017 3:32 am

Re: Do NOT travel to Hong Kong, in particular on weekends

Sat Aug 31, 2019 5:42 pm

seat64k wrote:
HK police might have their problems but they're not sending people over the border. Heck, it's the fact that the government want to make this possible that sparked the protests in the first place.


Never say never when it comes to HKPF nowaday, as they shown today when they repeat what the "white shirt gang" did in Yuen Long Station on July 21st by beating up a bunch of passengers in a train in Prince Edward Station (and I believe Mong Kok and Yau Ma Tei Station as well).

On the other hand, the current gov't actions demonstrates 100% why people are protesting against the bill - China is rule by people instead of following rule of law. Sadly, HK is turning into a 3rd tier mainland Chinese city regardless.

seat64k wrote:
The Hong Kongers who end up disappearing in China tend to get picked up in China where they went themselves. The bookseller lived in Shenzhen. The UK embassy guy went to Shenzhen for the day.


I thought the bookseller went into China via a "Shampoo Boat" :duck:

The UK embassy guy basically show why even heading into mainland is dangerous. Some HKers simply don't have a choice, though, as their job involve going up to Shenzhen (or elsewhere in mainland) once every so often.
Free Hong Kong! Free China!
 
anrec80
Posts: 2197
Joined: Mon Jan 10, 2011 7:50 am

Re: Do NOT travel to Hong Kong, in particular on weekends

Sun Sep 01, 2019 3:10 pm

zakuivcustom wrote:
Well, and they arrested Joshua Wong and Agnes Chow (along with some other guy from Demosisto according to CNN) on stupid charges like "inciting a illegal assembly" on June 21st around Police HQ.


Finally. At last. Long overdue.
 
anrec80
Posts: 2197
Joined: Mon Jan 10, 2011 7:50 am

Re: Do NOT travel to Hong Kong, in particular on weekends

Sun Sep 01, 2019 3:12 pm

Dieuwer wrote:
Are you sure those leaders will stay in Hong Kong, or secretly extradited to mainland China and put in a "re-education camp"?


Hopefully to China. This way it’s better for Hong Kong and its people. “Liberal protests leaders” and the likes aren’t kind of people you want to have in your country roaming free.
 
User avatar
Dutchy
Posts: 10215
Joined: Sat Nov 03, 2007 1:25 am

Re: Do NOT travel to Hong Kong, in particular on weekends

Sun Sep 01, 2019 3:17 pm

anrec80 wrote:
Dieuwer wrote:
Are you sure those leaders will stay in Hong Kong, or secretly extradited to mainland China and put in a "re-education camp"?


Hopefully to China. This way it’s better for Hong Kong and its people. “Liberal protests leaders” and the likes aren’t kind of people you want to have in your country roaming free.


No, the idea of democracy spreading is not good for autocratic leaders and we all know that you are here to help those autocratic leaders around the word.
Many happy landings, greetings from The Netherlands!
 
anrec80
Posts: 2197
Joined: Mon Jan 10, 2011 7:50 am

Re: Do NOT travel to Hong Kong, in particular on weekends

Sun Sep 01, 2019 7:23 pm

Dutchy wrote:
No, the idea of democracy spreading is not good for autocratic leaders and we all know that you are here to help those autocratic leaders around the word.


The idea of democracy spreading isn’t good for anyone, since the way it’s done it weakens or destroys target’s state institutions. And hence not even in one place such intrusion brought success. Only poverty, mass emigration and desperation are the results of this “spreading”. Ukraine’s examples is great demo to that (setting the fact that Russia is a convenient blame target aside).
 
User avatar
Dutchy
Posts: 10215
Joined: Sat Nov 03, 2007 1:25 am

Re: Do NOT travel to Hong Kong, in particular on weekends

Sun Sep 01, 2019 7:32 pm

anrec80 wrote:
Dutchy wrote:
No, the idea of democracy spreading is not good for autocratic leaders and we all know that you are here to help those autocratic leaders around the word.


The idea of democracy spreading isn’t good for anyone, since the way it’s done it weakens or destroys target’s state institutions. And hence not even in one place such intrusion brought success. Only poverty, mass emigration and desperation are the results of this “spreading”. Ukraine’s examples is great demo to that (setting the fact that Russia is a convenient blame target aside).


As I said, anti-democratic, anti rule of law, pro autocracies. But we already knew that about you. Shame that you are brought up in a democratic country - so you claim - and still live in one - so you say. You don't appreciate it at all.
Many happy landings, greetings from The Netherlands!
 
anrec80
Posts: 2197
Joined: Mon Jan 10, 2011 7:50 am

Re: Do NOT travel to Hong Kong, in particular on weekends

Sun Sep 01, 2019 7:51 pm

Dutchy wrote:
As I said, anti-democratic, anti rule of law, pro autocracies. But we already knew that about you. Shame that you are brought up in a democratic country - so you claim - and still live in one - so you say. You don't appreciate it at all.


My priority in the list you gave - is the rule of law. Without it you cannot have not only democracy, but even a functional society. And democracy in these conditions will turn into ochlocracy (the power of crowd on the street) in no time. And breaking laws (and weakening your own state) just because you believe democracy has some flaws - is far from great thing.
 
User avatar
Dutchy
Posts: 10215
Joined: Sat Nov 03, 2007 1:25 am

Re: Do NOT travel to Hong Kong, in particular on weekends

Mon Sep 02, 2019 7:26 am

anrec80 wrote:
Dutchy wrote:
As I said, anti-democratic, anti rule of law, pro autocracies. But we already knew that about you. Shame that you are brought up in a democratic country - so you claim - and still live in one - so you say. You don't appreciate it at all.


My priority in the list you gave - is the rule of law. Without it you cannot have not only democracy, but even a functional society. And democracy in these conditions will turn into ochlocracy (the power of crowd on the street) in no time. And breaking laws (and weakening your own state) just because you believe democracy has some flaws - is far from great thing.


Your priority is protecting the autocratic regimes above democracy and thus the will of the people.
Many happy landings, greetings from The Netherlands!
 
P1aneMad
Posts: 360
Joined: Thu Jan 26, 2017 2:05 pm

Re: Do NOT travel to Hong Kong, in particular on weekends

Wed Sep 04, 2019 10:49 am

Clearly the Chinese Communist Party has no interest to wait until 2047. They want HK right now.
 
zakuivcustom
Posts: 2851
Joined: Sat Jun 10, 2017 3:32 am

Re: Do NOT travel to Hong Kong, in particular on weekends

Wed Sep 04, 2019 1:50 pm

https://www.scmp.com/news/hong-kong/pol ... withdrawal

Well, at least half of five demands are met, with Carrie Lam officially "beginning the process" to formally withdrawn the bill.

It's definitely "too little too late", though. The protest had long shifted to police brutality (by and large the main focus of many people nowaday) and also calling for more democracy (although, quite frankly, not as many people care about this part). Some independent commission would definitely quiet things down at least for the more peaceful protesters.

As for the other demands, there are compromised that can be made anyway - dropped the BS charges like "illegal assembly" or "promoting illegal assembly". Those that vandalized places or directly assault popos? By all means, let them have a court date (Those "radical" protesters know fully that they'll run into the risk of getting arrested or going to jail anyway). But no more arresting a bunch of kai fongs for vocally supporting the arrestee outside police stations or stop using tear gas against a bunch of armless citizens that doesn't even have googles/gas mask - those are things that people care about a LOT more.

Restarting the democracy process, promised under Basic Law, will always be painful, though - I expect a mess similar to the current Brexit situation.

The bottom line - things are still not over, but I can only hope the "radicals" would at least rest a bit and if they want to protest, save their energy for October 1st.
Free Hong Kong! Free China!
 
anrec80
Posts: 2197
Joined: Mon Jan 10, 2011 7:50 am

Re: Do NOT travel to Hong Kong, in particular on weekends

Fri Sep 06, 2019 2:29 am

zakuivcustom wrote:
https://www.scmp.com/news/hong-kong/politics/article/3025641/hong-kong-leader-carrie-lam-announce-formal-withdrawal

Well, at least half of five demands are met, with Carrie Lam officially "beginning the process" to formally withdrawn the bill.


A big mistake. Pass the bill, have China request their extradition, and do exactly that then.
 
zakuivcustom
Posts: 2851
Joined: Sat Jun 10, 2017 3:32 am

Re: Do NOT travel to Hong Kong, in particular on weekends

Sun Sep 08, 2019 6:56 pm

Another week, more protests, and the popo getting more and more reckless with multiple reports of them going Tear Gas Buffet mode (Mainly in Causeway Bay) in areas where protesters had long left, just randomly stopping people near protest area just b/c they can't find the "worst offender", and they're still as unpopular as ever.

On the flip side, HK officially become one of the 2 place I can think of where Trump support is actually high (The other being Israel). Lots of HK people more patriotic than US youths also :).

Personally I'll be in HK next week. Hopefully I don't get arrested :).
Free Hong Kong! Free China!
 
seat64k
Posts: 531
Joined: Fri Mar 14, 2014 11:48 pm

Re: Do NOT travel to Hong Kong, in particular on weekends

Mon Sep 09, 2019 2:03 pm

zakuivcustom wrote:
Another week, more protests, and the popo getting more and more reckless with multiple reports of them going Tear Gas Buffet mode (Mainly in Causeway Bay) in areas where protesters had long left


This was so bizarre. Not a protester in sight, a dozen or so reporters milling about, and police shooting tear gas all over the place. WTF?

Image

https://twitter.com/VictorTing7/status/ ... 62/video/1

Also, lots of shouting in Mando. Hmmm...
 
zakuivcustom
Posts: 2851
Joined: Sat Jun 10, 2017 3:32 am

Re: Do NOT travel to Hong Kong, in particular on weekends

Mon Sep 09, 2019 2:21 pm

seat64k wrote:
zakuivcustom wrote:
Another week, more protests, and the popo getting more and more reckless with multiple reports of them going Tear Gas Buffet mode (Mainly in Causeway Bay) in areas where protesters had long left


This was so bizarre. Not a protester in sight, a dozen or so reporters milling about, and police shooting tear gas all over the place. WTF?

Image

https://twitter.com/VictorTing7/status/ ... 62/video/1

Also, lots of shouting in Mando. Hmmm...


Or this...
https://www.facebook.com/standnewshk/po ... 2909585648

For a moment I thought the popo were playing Counter-Strike (or whatever First-person Shooter)...except this is real life. That reporter was VERY lucky that he was not more severely injured (Oh, and btw, gotta love that dude in white dress shirt taking videos on his phone as if nothing happened).

Oh, and if you can understand Chinese, clearly the popos are talking in Mando in 0:30.

Not the first time they shoot tear gas onto empty streets, though. A month back they did the same thing in Sham Shui Po - with people laughing that the popos must be seeing tons of ghost (The 7th lunar month, which is August in "western" calendar, is Chinese Ghost Festival, with "July" 14th/15th (Depends where you are), which correspond to August 14th/15th in "western" calendar this year, being the "Hungry Ghost Day").
Free Hong Kong! Free China!
 
seat64k
Posts: 531
Joined: Fri Mar 14, 2014 11:48 pm

Re: Do NOT travel to Hong Kong, in particular on weekends

Tue Sep 10, 2019 1:08 pm

Yeah I saw that - Looks like Central exit C.

I usually resist the agent provocateur ideas, but it's difficult to ignore that the police, despite descending on MTR stations by the dozen, are nowhere to be seen when the place get vandalised.
 
Kilopond
Posts: 473
Joined: Wed Jun 15, 2016 10:08 am

Re: Do NOT travel to Hong Kong, in particular on weekends

Wed Sep 11, 2019 9:19 pm

All that trouble would never ever have happened under British rule. Just because "democracy" had not been an option back then and any resistance would have been neutralised just in time.
 
zakuivcustom
Posts: 2851
Joined: Sat Jun 10, 2017 3:32 am

Re: Do NOT travel to Hong Kong, in particular on weekends

Thu Sep 12, 2019 11:02 pm

seat64k wrote:
Yeah I saw that - Looks like Central exit C.

I usually resist the agent provocateur ideas, but it's difficult to ignore that the police, despite descending on MTR stations by the dozen, are nowhere to be seen when the place get vandalised.


Come on...the riot police are always 39 mins late. :duck:

Kilopond wrote:
All that trouble would never ever have happened under British rule. Just because "democracy" had not been an option back then and any resistance would have been neutralised just in time.


You mean those commie that was denouncing “violence” right now, but was also setting up bombs and killed a radio show host back in 1967?

BTW, British govt learned from the 1967 riot that they can no longer just continue their corrupted way and continue that totally unequal society. In 10 years they turn from being hated to being well loved, and being loved so much that people are clamoring for British colonial days even now, 22 years after HK was returned to China.

HK badly need another Maclehose, somebody that actually lead reforms and solve problems.
Free Hong Kong! Free China!

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: afcjets, FlyingColours, tommy1808 and 63 guests

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos