User avatar
Stitch
Posts: 26430
Joined: Wed Jul 06, 2005 4:26 am

Re: Lufthansa Polling On Which City To Send A380 To (ORD, SEA, TPA, DFW)

Tue Aug 06, 2019 9:09 pm

stor72 wrote:
Maybe SEA just to laugh at Boeing?


Considering how many Boeing widebodies they have in their fleet and on order, why would they want to laugh at them?



As noted, the A380 can operate at SEA, but it would be heavily-impacting to operations and the airport has said that it is not interested in infrastructure upgrades to mitigate that impact unless multiple operators committed to sending the A380 here. (That being said, they have taken the A380 into account with some of the recent and ongoing infrastructure upgrades.)
 
leftcoast8
Posts: 165
Joined: Wed Aug 03, 2016 12:59 am

Re: Lufthansa Polling On Which City To Send A380 To (ORD, SEA, TPA, DFW)

Tue Aug 06, 2019 9:18 pm

There is zero interest from the Port of Seattle in building A380 gates at Sea-Tac, as ER757 will attest to. Out of the major TCON carriers that have A380s in the fleet, I wonder which of them have a decent business case for sending an A380 to Sea-Tac.

-Asiana
-Korean Air
-Singapore Airlines (in September)
-British Airways
-Lufthansa
-Air France
-Emirates

We can immediately strike Korean and Emirates off the list; KE's A380s are far too premium-heavy and Emirates prefers the additional belly cargo space of the 77W (Emirates uses DXB-SEA to ferry maintenance parts from Boeing Everett/Renton to their maintenance base at DXB). BA sends premium heavy 777s and super Hi J 744s to SEA; I wonder if it's to capture Alaska cruise ship traffic, or tech industry business traffic, or some other reason. To be honest, I'd like to know which markets each TCON provider at SEA is serving. It would be interesting to know.

I'm surprised that BA sent an A380 to YVR of all places; I heard it was to free up a T3 slot (LHR-YVR was moved from T5 to T3 in W15; S15 was the last with daily + 5 weekly 744), maybe to JNB or CPT?
Last edited by leftcoast8 on Tue Aug 06, 2019 9:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
 
speedbird52
Posts: 800
Joined: Sat Nov 26, 2016 5:30 am

Re: Lufthansa Polling On Which City To Send A380 To (ORD, SEA, TPA, DFW)

Tue Aug 06, 2019 9:19 pm

If it goes to SEA 11 year old me would literally explode but current year old me would miss the Queen
 
leftcoast8
Posts: 165
Joined: Wed Aug 03, 2016 12:59 am

Re: Lufthansa Polling On Which City To Send A380 To (ORD, SEA, TPA, DFW)

Tue Aug 06, 2019 9:20 pm

speedbird52 wrote:
If it goes to SEA 11 year old me would literally explode but current year old me would miss the Queen


Who needs the Queen when you can get the whale?!
 
BA
Posts: 10474
Joined: Fri May 19, 2000 11:06 am

Re: Lufthansa Polling On Which City To Send A380 To (ORD, SEA, TPA, DFW)

Tue Aug 06, 2019 9:24 pm

Stitch wrote:
(That being said, they have taken the A380 into account with some of the recent and ongoing infrastructure upgrades.)


Which ones? First I've heard of this.
"Generosity is giving more than you can, and pride is taking less than you need." - Khalil Gibran
 
9w748capt
Posts: 1696
Joined: Sat Feb 02, 2008 10:27 am

Re: Lufthansa Polling On Which City To Send A380 To (ORD, SEA, TPA, DFW)

Tue Aug 06, 2019 9:40 pm

Prost wrote:
Cointrin330 wrote:
My vote would be victorville.


Oooh, that won’t please some people.


Ok then how about the European equivalent? :D
 
xwb777
Posts: 509
Joined: Wed Jan 17, 2018 4:13 pm

Re: Lufthansa Polling On Which City To Send A380 To (ORD, SEA, TPA, DFW)

Tue Aug 06, 2019 9:43 pm

The latest poll results:

TPA - 47%
ORD - 20%
SEA - 17%
DFW - 16%
 
User avatar
ClipperMonsoon
Posts: 24
Joined: Fri Dec 26, 2003 5:45 am

Re: Lufthansa Polling On Which City To Send A380 To (ORD, SEA, TPA, DFW)

Tue Aug 06, 2019 9:54 pm

stor72 wrote:
Maybe SEA just to laugh at Boeing?

Pretty lame "joke"
To laugh at Boeing about what?
The wildly successful trio of the A345/A346/A380?, Airbus is a very successful company, employing some very intelligent people, but they have issues too
"Laugh now, cry later "
"Never mistake persistence for intelligence"
Random Person
 
User avatar
Stitch
Posts: 26430
Joined: Wed Jul 06, 2005 4:26 am

Re: Lufthansa Polling On Which City To Send A380 To (ORD, SEA, TPA, DFW)

Tue Aug 06, 2019 10:08 pm

Stitch wrote:
(That being said, they have taken the A380 into account with some of the recent and ongoing infrastructure upgrades.)

BA wrote:
Which ones? First I've heard of this.


I have read that the bridge from the South Satellite to the new International Arrivals Facility is set high enough to allow an A380 to pass under it.
 
Flyingstump
Posts: 87
Joined: Sat Apr 15, 2017 4:43 am

Re: Lufthansa Polling On Which City To Send A380 To (ORD, SEA, TPA, DFW)

Tue Aug 06, 2019 10:38 pm

It wouldn't be the first time an airline sent a particular aircraft to TPA for publicity. BA sent Concorde to promote its new route from London! And say what you want about TPA, but the area sure does love its airport and aviation in general (see the crowded parking garage at 1:08 for an example).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X-No0DlJc9s


And, yes, Airside C at TPA was designed to accommodate the A380. See page 1 of the following:
https://www.yumpu.com/en/document/read/ ... al-airport
 
LH658
Posts: 1049
Joined: Thu Oct 13, 2016 7:35 am

Re: Lufthansa Polling On Which City To Send A380 To (ORD, SEA, TPA, DFW)

Tue Aug 06, 2019 11:35 pm

I can only see ORD, BOS, or probably SEA getting a A380.
 
PhilMcCrackin
Posts: 161
Joined: Mon Jun 24, 2019 11:54 pm

Re: Lufthansa Polling On Which City To Send A380 To (ORD, SEA, TPA, DFW)

Tue Aug 06, 2019 11:47 pm

I don't see TPA being premium enough to justify the whale.
 
evank516
Posts: 1972
Joined: Wed Mar 01, 2017 12:15 am

Re: Lufthansa Polling On Which City To Send A380 To (ORD, SEA, TPA, DFW)

Tue Aug 06, 2019 11:48 pm

canmau wrote:
mfe777 wrote:
Maybe the "losers" in this poll are the cities being considered for the 2 new MUC routes and possible Eurowings routes that LH is going to be announcing. Maybe ORD for the A380, SEA and DFW get Munich, and TPA for Eurowings.


DFW and SEA being the two new routes doesn't sound far fetched at all actually


Didn't Eurowings fly to SEA last year and not come back?
 
DUSZRH
Posts: 158
Joined: Thu Jan 05, 2017 12:17 am

Re: Lufthansa Polling On Which City To Send A380 To (ORD, SEA, TPA, DFW)

Wed Aug 07, 2019 12:44 am

I think they might do it as a one off publicity stunt.
 
BA
Posts: 10474
Joined: Fri May 19, 2000 11:06 am

Re: Lufthansa Polling On Which City To Send A380 To (ORD, SEA, TPA, DFW)

Wed Aug 07, 2019 12:46 am

evank516 wrote:
canmau wrote:
mfe777 wrote:
Maybe the "losers" in this poll are the cities being considered for the 2 new MUC routes and possible Eurowings routes that LH is going to be announcing. Maybe ORD for the A380, SEA and DFW get Munich, and TPA for Eurowings.


DFW and SEA being the two new routes doesn't sound far fetched at all actually


Didn't Eurowings fly to SEA last year and not come back?


Eurowings withdrew all long-haul from CGN, not just SEA.
"Generosity is giving more than you can, and pride is taking less than you need." - Khalil Gibran
 
BA
Posts: 10474
Joined: Fri May 19, 2000 11:06 am

Re: Lufthansa Polling On Which City To Send A380 To (ORD, SEA, TPA, DFW)

Wed Aug 07, 2019 12:47 am

Stitch wrote:
Stitch wrote:
(That being said, they have taken the A380 into account with some of the recent and ongoing infrastructure upgrades.)

BA wrote:
Which ones? First I've heard of this.


I have read that the bridge from the South Satellite to the new International Arrivals Facility is set high enough to allow an A380 to pass under it.


Ah yes, that's true. However none of the IAF gates will be A380-compatible.
"Generosity is giving more than you can, and pride is taking less than you need." - Khalil Gibran
 
User avatar
aemoreira1981
Posts: 2932
Joined: Mon Jan 09, 2017 12:17 am

Re: Lufthansa Polling On Which City To Send A380 To (ORD, SEA, TPA, DFW)

Wed Aug 07, 2019 12:51 am

To be honest, I'm surprised that ORD isn't one, given that Lufthansa is double daily on the B748 to ORD. Is there any other station from FRA where Lufthansa has first class on more than one flight that doesn't get the A380? (From MUC, LH has first class on LH434/5 except Wednesdays, and LH436 has first class on LH436/7 Wednesdays and Thursdays.) But then I read this:

hOMSaR wrote:
jcwr56 wrote:
MIflyer12 wrote:
Frankly, of those airports I can't imagine anything but ORD having year-round, daily demand for an A380.


It won't happen until the new OGT is built and they would not look at moving their entire LH operation to T5 for one flight.


I was just going to ask about this. LH currently departs from T1 (B concourse, IIRC), but ORD’s A380 gate (is there even more than one?) is in T5.

Would make connections from domestic UA flights a lot harder.


ORD has just one A380-capable gate?
 
User avatar
hOMSaR
Posts: 2215
Joined: Tue Jan 19, 2010 4:47 am

Re: Lufthansa Polling On Which City To Send A380 To (ORD, SEA, TPA, DFW)

Wed Aug 07, 2019 1:52 am

aemoreira1981 wrote:

ORD has just one A380-capable gate?


I don’t know if it’s still the case, but in 2016/17 it was true. Not sure if any more have been built since then.

EK used it once (somehow I thought they were going to fly it here regularly), and now BA uses it.
The plural of Airbus is Airbuses. Airbii is not a word.
There is no 787-800, nor 787-900 or 747-800. It's 787-8, 787-9, and 747-8.
A321neoLR is also unnecessary. It's simply A321LR.
Airplanes don't have isles, they have aisles.
 
User avatar
gatibosgru
Posts: 1611
Joined: Thu Oct 18, 2007 2:48 pm

Re: Lufthansa Polling On Which City To Send A380 To (ORD, SEA, TPA, DFW)

Wed Aug 07, 2019 1:52 am

Would be awesome if they did a one off to TPA!
@DadCelo
 
TheKennady2
Posts: 134
Joined: Tue Aug 28, 2018 3:09 pm

Re: Lufthansa Polling On Which City To Send A380 To (ORD, SEA, TPA, DFW)

Wed Aug 07, 2019 1:52 am

ORD cant handle the A380 at T1, unlikely LH would depart from T5
 
Gbass21
Posts: 25
Joined: Sat Feb 10, 2018 8:01 pm

Re: Lufthansa Polling On Which City To Send A380 To (ORD, SEA, TPA, DFW)

Wed Aug 07, 2019 2:32 am

Well, what about YYZ or GRU? Last year I read an interview of LH CEO for Latin America and he said that BOG was the most rewarding market in the region and because of that they upgrade their flight from an a343 to the biggest aircraft available a346. So it would make sense to send the 748 to BOG and upgrade GRU to A388
 
QueenoftheSkies
Posts: 209
Joined: Sun Jan 29, 2017 4:48 am

Re: Lufthansa Polling On Which City To Send A380 To (ORD, SEA, TPA, DFW)

Wed Aug 07, 2019 2:33 am

This has to be a joke. Why put airports in there that can’t even handle an A380? People are so gullible.
 
speedbird52
Posts: 800
Joined: Sat Nov 26, 2016 5:30 am

Re: Lufthansa Polling On Which City To Send A380 To (ORD, SEA, TPA, DFW)

Wed Aug 07, 2019 3:23 am

leftcoast8 wrote:
speedbird52 wrote:
If it goes to SEA 11 year old me would literally explode but current year old me would miss the Queen


Who needs the Queen when you can get the whale?!

I suppose you may have a point.
 
axiom
Posts: 869
Joined: Mon Aug 10, 2015 10:39 pm

Re: Lufthansa Polling On Which City To Send A380 To (ORD, SEA, TPA, DFW)

Wed Aug 07, 2019 7:07 am

TPA for a one-off could be great. LH would get a ton of promo out of it — TPA’s media team beats any other airport.
 
User avatar
452QX
Posts: 138
Joined: Sat Jan 13, 2018 7:30 am

Re: Lufthansa Polling On Which City To Send A380 To (ORD, SEA, TPA, DFW)

Wed Aug 07, 2019 7:42 am

BA wrote:
Stitch wrote:
Stitch wrote:
(That being said, they have taken the A380 into account with some of the recent and ongoing infrastructure upgrades.)

BA wrote:
Which ones? First I've heard of this.


I have read that the bridge from the South Satellite to the new International Arrivals Facility is set high enough to allow an A380 to pass under it.


Ah yes, that's true. However none of the IAF gates will be A380-compatible.


As it stands, SEA does not have the infrastructure to easily support an A380 turn. There are a couple stop bars painted at the S gates just in case, but the disruption it would cause would be quite the hassle to deal with. You might just be better off using the Antonov spots all the way up at cargo :spin:

Of course, I’d love to see one here someday
 
AirbusOnly
Posts: 367
Joined: Fri Jun 02, 2006 4:06 am

Re: Lufthansa Polling On Which City To Send A380 To (ORD, SEA, TPA, DFW)

Wed Aug 07, 2019 11:08 am

Gbass21 wrote:
Well, what about YYZ or GRU? Last year I read an interview of LH CEO for Latin America and he said that BOG was the most rewarding market in the region and because of that they upgrade their flight from an a343 to the biggest aircraft available a346. So it would make sense to send the 748 to BOG and upgrade GRU to A388


BOG would be great for the drug-dealer...still some more space for their contraband.... :D
 
User avatar
chunhimlai
Posts: 484
Joined: Wed Jun 03, 2015 11:03 am

Re: Lufthansa Polling On Which City To Send A380 To (ORD, SEA, TPA, DFW)

Wed Aug 07, 2019 11:26 am

Why no FNJ
 
User avatar
Revelation
Posts: 21726
Joined: Wed Feb 09, 2005 9:37 pm

Re: Lufthansa Polling On Which City To Send A380 To (ORD, SEA, TPA, DFW)

Wed Aug 07, 2019 1:13 pm

9w748capt wrote:
Prost wrote:
Cointrin330 wrote:
My vote would be victorville.

Oooh, that won’t please some people.

Ok then how about the European equivalent? :D

That would be Tarbes Lourdes airport in France.

https://simpleflying.com/airbus-a380s-scrap/
Wake up to find out that you are the eyes of the world
The heart has its beaches, its homeland and thoughts of its own
Wake now, discover that you are the song that the morning brings
The heart has its seasons, its evenings and songs of its own
 
User avatar
ER757
Posts: 3519
Joined: Tue May 10, 2005 10:16 am

Re: Lufthansa Polling On Which City To Send A380 To (ORD, SEA, TPA, DFW)

Wed Aug 07, 2019 1:36 pm

leftcoast8 wrote:
There is zero interest from the Port of Seattle in building A380 gates at Sea-Tac, as ER757 will attest to. Out of the major TCON carriers that have A380s in the fleet, I wonder which of them have a decent business case for sending an A380 to Sea-Tac.

-Asiana
-Korean Air
-Singapore Airlines (in September)
-British Airways
-Lufthansa
-Air France
-Emirates

We can immediately strike Korean and Emirates off the list; KE's A380s are far too premium-heavy and Emirates prefers the additional belly cargo space of the 77W (Emirates uses DXB-SEA to ferry maintenance parts from Boeing Everett/Renton to their maintenance base at DXB). BA sends premium heavy 777s and super Hi J 744s to SEA; I wonder if it's to capture Alaska cruise ship traffic, or tech industry business traffic, or some other reason. To be honest, I'd like to know which markets each TCON provider at SEA is serving. It would be interesting to know.

I'm surprised that BA sent an A380 to YVR of all places; I heard it was to free up a T3 slot (LHR-YVR was moved from T5 to T3 in W15; S15 was the last with daily + 5 weekly 744), maybe to JNB or CPT?


No chance of having the Port of Seattle spend the $$ for A-380 capabilities unfortunately. We had exactly one A380 ever here, an EK diversion near Christmas a couple years ago and I didn't find out about it until after it had departed. From what I was told it was parked over in the cargo area. I'd dearly love to see LH fly in here as a one-off - they could park at a remote stand (I can dream, can't I?).
As for your list of carriers and your assessments you are pretty spot on, except that I can tell you that EK very much wanted to operate the Whale on the DXB/SEA route but as noted, the Port wasn't going to put the money into airport infrastructure for one flight a day.
 
Ziyulu
Posts: 649
Joined: Thu Oct 13, 2016 10:35 am

Re: Lufthansa Polling On Which City To Send A380 To (ORD, SEA, TPA, DFW)

Wed Aug 07, 2019 1:54 pm

What do you mean SEA cannot handle an A380? Can't you park at at an existing gate? Just because you do not have dual boarding bridges does not mean you cannot handle it.
 
User avatar
DBCoop3r
Posts: 21
Joined: Tue Jan 15, 2019 2:28 am

Re: Lufthansa Polling On Which City To Send A380 To (ORD, SEA, TPA, DFW)

Wed Aug 07, 2019 2:33 pm

Ziyulu wrote:
What do you mean SEA cannot handle an A380? Can't you park at at an existing gate? Just because you do not have dual boarding bridges does not mean you cannot handle it.


SEA technically can handle it, but the hassle isn't worth it, they can park at the west side of the South Satellite but that would use up 3 gates. So yeah, way to much of a hassle for A380 service to SEA to ever happen, even as a one off, the airport is too crowded and they need terminal 2 built asap.
 
Prost
Posts: 2475
Joined: Wed Oct 03, 2012 6:23 pm

Re: Lufthansa Polling On Which City To Send A380 To (ORD, SEA, TPA, DFW)

Wed Aug 07, 2019 4:52 pm

Also the taxiway is too close to the terminals and the runways for an A380 to get to the gate.
 
User avatar
Revelation
Posts: 21726
Joined: Wed Feb 09, 2005 9:37 pm

Re: Lufthansa Polling On Which City To Send A380 To (ORD, SEA, TPA, DFW)

Wed Aug 07, 2019 5:46 pm

Prost wrote:
Also the taxiway is too close to the terminals and the runways for an A380 to get to the gate.

What could possibly go wrong?

Image
Wake up to find out that you are the eyes of the world
The heart has its beaches, its homeland and thoughts of its own
Wake now, discover that you are the song that the morning brings
The heart has its seasons, its evenings and songs of its own
 
drdisque
Posts: 1136
Joined: Mon Mar 26, 2007 9:57 am

Re: Lufthansa Polling On Which City To Send A380 To (ORD, SEA, TPA, DFW)

Wed Aug 07, 2019 8:20 pm

Only T5 at ORD can handle the A380. LH flights depart from Terminal 1. So LH A380 isn't happening at ORD until the Global Terminal is open (I'm willing to bet the A380 will be out of the LH fleet before then).
 
alan3
Posts: 351
Joined: Sat Apr 12, 2014 6:13 am

Re: Lufthansa Polling On Which City To Send A380 To (ORD, SEA, TPA, DFW)

Wed Aug 07, 2019 8:51 pm

Surprised they don't do BA does and fly the A380 to YVR seasonally. European flights to YVR are FULL in the summer. Or maybe they want something year round? I think YVR could at least handle a 748.
 
rajincajun01
Posts: 709
Joined: Thu Oct 14, 2010 2:16 am

Re: Lufthansa Polling On Which City To Send A380 To (ORD, SEA, TPA, DFW)

Wed Aug 07, 2019 9:08 pm

BTVB6Flyer wrote:
rajincajun01 wrote:
IAmGaroott wrote:
I believe Airside C at TPA has the capability to handle an A380.

You are correct. The airport has stated this multiple times.


Which gate? TPA doesn't even have a gate with double jetways, let alone 3 that most 380's use.


Gates 39 and 41. A jetbridge doesn't need to be a double to accommodate an A380. Also, the A380 does not need three bridges. TPA made A380 accessible gates to handle a diversion, not daily operations.

http://www.cfaspp.com/FASP/AirportPDFs/tampa_international_airport_4_13_10.pdf Page 1 has the details.
A319 A320 A321 A332 B1900 B717 B727 B737 B757 B767 B777 B787 CR2 CR7 CRJ9 E120 ERJ135 ERJ145 L1011 MD80 SF340 AvGeek Superstore
 
LH779
Posts: 110
Joined: Sun Jun 21, 2015 9:31 am

Re: Lufthansa Polling On Which City To Send A380 To (ORD, SEA, TPA, DFW)

Wed Aug 07, 2019 9:17 pm

alan3 wrote:
Surprised they don't do BA does and fly the A380 to YVR seasonally. European flights to YVR are FULL in the summer. Or maybe they want something year round?


There is a summer seasonal flight to YVR from MUC. This year served by a mix of A346 and A359.

alan3 wrote:
I think YVR could at least handle a 748.


LHs 744 actually has 7 seats more than the 748 (371 vs 364 or 0 / 67 / 32 / 272 vs 8 / 80 / 32 / 244). So a 748 instead of 744 would only change the sizes of the cabins but not overall capacity.
 
Gbass21
Posts: 25
Joined: Sat Feb 10, 2018 8:01 pm

Re: Lufthansa Polling On Which City To Send A380 To (ORD, SEA, TPA, DFW)

Thu Aug 08, 2019 3:27 am

AirbusOnly wrote:
Gbass21 wrote:
Well, what about YYZ or GRU? Last year I read an interview of LH CEO for Latin America and he said that BOG was the most rewarding market in the region and because of that they upgrade their flight from an a343 to the biggest aircraft available a346. So it would make sense to send the 748 to BOG and upgrade GRU to A388


BOG would be great for the drug-dealer...still some more space for their contraband.... :D


If that makes money for LH, why not.... Just kidding but it could be a good move to relocate that A380
 
upperdeckfan
Posts: 950
Joined: Fri Jun 08, 2007 1:59 am

Re: Lufthansa Polling On Which City To Send A380 To (ORD, SEA, TPA, DFW)

Thu Aug 08, 2019 9:54 am

aemoreira1981 wrote:
To be honest, I'm surprised that ORD isn't one, given that Lufthansa is double daily on the B748 to ORD. Is there any other station from FRA where Lufthansa has first class on more than one flight that doesn't get the A380? (From MUC, LH has first class on LH434/5 except Wednesdays, and LH436 has first class on LH436/7 Wednesdays and Thursdays.) But then I read this:

hOMSaR wrote:
jcwr56 wrote:

It won't happen until the new OGT is built and they would not look at moving their entire LH operation to T5 for one flight.


I was just going to ask about this. LH currently departs from T1 (B concourse, IIRC), but ORD’s A380 gate (is there even more than one?) is in T5.

Would make connections from domestic UA flights a lot harder.


ORD has just one A380-capable gate?


Besides T1 not being 380 capable, LH is fine with their current set up at ORD as 748 is their lowest density aircraft and they rather offer frequecy over capacity. Ther are 4x daily ORD-FRA on LH/UA

Other markets such as MIA and IAH are served by one daily A380
748,744,742,741,772,773,762,763,
764, 789, 732,733,735,737,738,739,
752, 722, 717,74M,DC10,DC9,M82,
M83, M87, M88,310,319,320,321,332,
333, 343, 346,359,388,L1011,CR2,
CR7, CR9,CRK, E175,E190,ATR42,
DSH8, CS1,CS3
 
upperdeckfan
Posts: 950
Joined: Fri Jun 08, 2007 1:59 am

Re: Lufthansa Polling On Which City To Send A380 To (ORD, SEA, TPA, DFW)

Thu Aug 08, 2019 10:03 am

LH779 wrote:
alan3 wrote:
Surprised they don't do BA does and fly the A380 to YVR seasonally. European flights to YVR are FULL in the summer. Or maybe they want something year round?


There is a summer seasonal flight to YVR from MUC. This year served by a mix of A346 and A359.

alan3 wrote:
I think YVR could at least handle a 748.


LHs 744 actually has 7 seats more than the 748 (371 vs 364 or 0 / 67 / 32 / 272 vs 8 / 80 / 32 / 244). So a 748 instead of 744 would only change the sizes of the cabins but not overall capacity.


I do FRA-YVR a couple of times a year and recently have switched from LH to AC as 744's have started to show its age and I like AC's J seat more than LH.

I am surprised LH have never tried the 748 to YVR, BC is a very high income area and going there for leisure is more expensive than many other tourist spots, I'd expect FRA-YVR to have good premium demand and be capable to support F.

EZE and JNB sustaining 748 service for years while YVR have never gotten a shot at it is interesting but LH knows much more than I do.
748,744,742,741,772,773,762,763,
764, 789, 732,733,735,737,738,739,
752, 722, 717,74M,DC10,DC9,M82,
M83, M87, M88,310,319,320,321,332,
333, 343, 346,359,388,L1011,CR2,
CR7, CR9,CRK, E175,E190,ATR42,
DSH8, CS1,CS3
 
User avatar
gdg9
Posts: 941
Joined: Thu Jun 30, 2005 9:42 am

Re: Lufthansa Polling On Which City To Send A380 To (ORD, SEA, TPA, DFW)

Thu Aug 08, 2019 10:51 am

LH loads at DFW have been consistently good for quite a while, and DFW is of course A380 capable, with up to two at once being handled at Terminal D. However, its one thing to fill an A330, quite another for an A380. With AA also on DFW-FRA, I think that is enough capacity. I'd love to see the LH 380, but doubtful.
@dfwtower
 
LH779
Posts: 110
Joined: Sun Jun 21, 2015 9:31 am

Re: Lufthansa Polling On Which City To Send A380 To (ORD, SEA, TPA, DFW)

Thu Aug 08, 2019 11:22 am

upperdeckfan wrote:
I'd expect FRA-YVR to have good premium demand and be capable to support F.


They used A346s, which all have F, on the MUC flight in the last few years (summer only flight though), but changed it to an A350 this august. Next year it will also be an A350. So if people really wanted to fly F to YVR on LH it was possible via MUC.
 
lax797
Posts: 3
Joined: Thu Jun 06, 2019 4:00 pm

Re: Lufthansa Polling On Which City To Send A380 To (ORD, SEA, TPA, DFW)

Thu Aug 08, 2019 10:01 pm

AirbusOnly wrote:
Gbass21 wrote:
Well, what about YYZ or GRU? Last year I read an interview of LH CEO for Latin America and he said that BOG was the most rewarding market in the region and because of that they upgrade their flight from an a343 to the biggest aircraft available a346. So it would make sense to send the 748 to BOG and upgrade GRU to A388


BOG would be great for the drug-dealer...still some more space for their contraband.... :D



I don´t think BOG is LH´s most rewarding market in Latin America because of the drug-dealing/contraband business so you should not be so quick to make such idiotic jokes or assumptions when you clearly have no idea of what your talking about. However they re-introduced first class service a while ago so that´s a good sign, plus AV is doing well in MUC, maybe LH´s FRA-BOG can now handle the extra capacity a 748 would give.
 
leftcoast8
Posts: 165
Joined: Wed Aug 03, 2016 12:59 am

Re: Lufthansa Polling On Which City To Send A380 To (ORD, SEA, TPA, DFW)

Thu Aug 22, 2019 5:33 am

ER757 wrote:
As for your list of carriers and your assessments you are pretty spot on, except that I can tell you that EK very much wanted to operate the Whale on the DXB/SEA route but as noted, the Port wasn't going to put the money into airport infrastructure for one flight a day.


After thinking it over I've come to the following conclusions for SEA A380 viability:

Asiana-Not even SFO gets the A380, no chance a smaller economy and leisure-heavy destination (relative to the SF Bay area) will get it. Also SF has a much, much bigger Korean population (the Puget Sound is like 70% white or some crazy high number). Asiana already has 92%+ loads on ICN-SEA using the A350, and before that the 77L. OZ only has four A380s and has to use them wisely. Lest I forget, not too long ago OZ was sending A330s to SEA

SQ-Has no A380 routes in the Americas besides JFK-FRA-SIN, and at least that's justified because, I mean, it's New York/Frankfurt/Singapore, the three Alpha+++ financial capitals of the world. Their other U.S. routes use the A350-900 or -900ULR. I also think SQ kind of shot themselves in the foot when they went all-in on SFO/LAX. Anyway, besides O&D tech demand to Singapore (e.g. Grab), isn't the SIN-SEA flight also designed to carry tech traffic to BLR/HYD (since the U.S. carriers have given up on India)? That would make sense for a 3-4 weekly service

EY/QR (which gets suggested by many A.netters)-Etihad is in a financial death spiral and Qatar Airways has been crippled by the diplomatic crisis with the GCC countries and their cozying up to Iran. The explosive growth of Turkish Airlines has not been kind to QR either. In fact, Etihad pulled out of SFO and reduced LAX to 4 weekly. SEA is out of the question for either airline. Etihad may fold by 2025 or later. As for QR, there would have to be a new President in the White House, and Qatar will have had to have made peace with the GCC, before QR can make SEA work. And even then, a 77L would be more likely than an A380. SEA already has a Oneworld TATL partner in BA.

Lufthansa-None of their flights to SEA include first class service (333 in winter, 744 in summer; MUC-SEA will use an A350, and all of the A350s are 3-class) buuuut...with their Indian expansion out of Munich and pre-existing connections out of Frankfurt to the Middle East, India and Africa, I could see an upgrade to more premium-heavy aircraft. 343, 74H, the future 777-9X are all possible

BA-I think BA won't stick with 744/772 to SEA forever, it's just that I don't think the A380 is in the cards. Currently the schedule to SEA looks like this:

BA48/49 (evening flight): daily 772 in winter, daily 744 in summer (mix of Hi-J/Super Hi-J), 14 weekly
BA52/53 (afternoon flight): 3 weekly 772 in winter, daily 772 in winter, 10 weekly
* In summer, sometimes a 77L or 77W will be mixed in with either flight, depending on what's available.

There's a lot of cruise ship traffic and tech industry traffic. BA is the only European carrier to fly to Hyderabad, and has competition from Emirates and Lufthansa to Bangalore. But to be honest, I really don't know if Alaska cruise ship traffic is premium-heavy, or premium-light. Anyway, BA will probably want to free up a T5 slot in the future, assuming the Heathrow third runway project gets canned. I could see a daily 777-9X replacing 10x 772/daily 744+772. But that'll have to wait for BA's 777X orders to arrive

The bottom line is, Seattle might be big, but it's not that big, especially compared to San Francisco or Los Angeles. Outside of Bellevue/Overlake/SLU tech demand, a lot of the Puget Sound air traffic is VFR or leisure, reflecting the region's blue-collar economic engines of aerospace/shipping/logging/military. YVR is similar in that regard.

I also think that the dominant carriers at SEA kind of work against it in terms of A380 potential. The dominant carriers are Alaska (non-aligned) and Delta (Skyteam). The only Skyteam carriers that fly to SEA and have A380s in their fleet are KE (too premium-heavy) and AF. I have absolutely no idea what the loads are on AF's CDG-SEA route, or which kind of markets AF wants to capture, but I do know that AF recently upgraded BLR from a 333 to 77W(!). At the same time, the DL/AF/KL joint venture allows for a bit of load balancing; DL has its own SEA-CDG flight, and AF uses the 332 as a result.

By the way, why would Emirates prefer an A380, which has less cargo capacity than a 77L/77W? Don't the DXB-SEA flights ferry 777 maintenance parts from Boeing Everett to the maintenance base at DXB?

Continuing on the subject of EK, I am curious as to the rough proportion of origin passengers. How many are flying Seattle-Gulf, and how many are flying Seattle-India, Seattle-Pakistan/Sri Lanka, how many are doing PDX/SLC/DEN-Gulf, or PDX/SLC/DEN-India, etc.? And how many pax are doing YVR/YYJ/YYC/YEG-India? (the WS/EK codeshare can also feed BC/Alberta pax onto EK's nonstop flights from YYZ or LAX, and I think SFO too)
 
strfyr51
Posts: 3979
Joined: Tue Apr 10, 2012 5:04 pm

Re: Lufthansa Polling On Which City To Send A380 To (ORD, SEA, TPA, DFW)

Thu Aug 22, 2019 6:27 am

SEA
DFW
ORD
IAD
IAH
Where they have a better than even chance of filling that Bad Oscar..
 
upperdeckfan
Posts: 950
Joined: Fri Jun 08, 2007 1:59 am

Re: Lufthansa Polling On Which City To Send A380 To (ORD, SEA, TPA, DFW)

Thu Aug 22, 2019 10:18 am

leftcoast8 wrote:
After thinking it over I've come to the following conclusions for SEA A380 viability:


Nice piece of analysis

BTW, I don't see what is LH looking for with such a "poll", IMO none of these markets have a case in terms of overall capacity nor in terms of premium traffic for an LH A380 besides ORD and there we have the issue of T1 not being 380-capable.

TPA is currenlty served by their less premium type (A343)
SEA can only sustain 3-class 744 in the summer
DFW is currenlty an A333

They currently use A380 to MIA, JFK, IAH, SFO and LAX which are significantly larger markets than TPA, SEA and DFW.

If a NorthAm destination is to be upgauged to A380 it'd guess to be one with current 748 or 346 service such as EWR/IAD from FRA, or JFK/SFO from MUC
748,744,742,741,772,773,762,763,
764, 789, 732,733,735,737,738,739,
752, 722, 717,74M,DC10,DC9,M82,
M83, M87, M88,310,319,320,321,332,
333, 343, 346,359,388,L1011,CR2,
CR7, CR9,CRK, E175,E190,ATR42,
DSH8, CS1,CS3
 
Ishrion
Posts: 1354
Joined: Mon Feb 04, 2019 6:17 am

Re: Lufthansa Polling On Which City To Send A380 To (ORD, SEA, TPA, DFW)

Thu Aug 22, 2019 12:49 pm

upperdeckfan wrote:
leftcoast8 wrote:
After thinking it over I've come to the following conclusions for SEA A380 viability:


Nice piece of analysis

BTW, I don't see what is LH looking for with such a "poll", IMO none of these markets have a case in terms of overall capacity nor in terms of premium traffic for an LH A380 besides ORD and there we have the issue of T1 not being 380-capable.

TPA is currenlty served by their less premium type (A343)
SEA can only sustain 3-class 744 in the summer
DFW is currenlty an A333

They currently use A380 to MIA, JFK, IAH, SFO and LAX which are significantly larger markets than TPA, SEA and DFW.

If a NorthAm destination is to be upgauged to A380 it'd guess to be one with current 748 or 346 service such as EWR/IAD from FRA, or JFK/SFO from MUC


It’s twitter, they’re just looking for some fun.

If it was something official, they would’ve done an actual poll through their newsroom.
 
User avatar
BN727227Ultra
Posts: 633
Joined: Fri Jan 10, 2014 7:15 pm

Re: Lufthansa Polling On Which City To Send A380 To (ORD, SEA, TPA, DFW)

Thu Aug 22, 2019 3:28 pm

:lol: OMA! :lol:
 
EvanWSFO
Posts: 1145
Joined: Sun Mar 04, 2018 9:22 pm

Re: Lufthansa Polling On Which City To Send A380 To (ORD, SEA, TPA, DFW)

Thu Aug 22, 2019 5:18 pm

I'll submit a write-in vote for DTW, just to keep certain a.net members happy.
I have been on this site 15 years. A unrecoverable email account led me to starting over. Those of you who call me a rookie, you may stop ok?
 
RainerBoeing777
Posts: 432
Joined: Wed Jun 21, 2017 3:43 pm

Re: Lufthansa Polling On Which City To Send A380 To (ORD, SEA, TPA, DFW)

Thu Aug 22, 2019 8:13 pm

I have a big doubt now LH always operates 10 destinations with the A380 for the moment MUC-PEK / LAX / PVG / BOS / SFO are confirmed and in FRA-MIA / JFK / IAH / SIN since HKG lost the A380 service from MUC the A346 returns and in FRA the B744, now what will be the destination for summer 2020?
CX - JL - LH - KE - KL - SQ - QR - QF - TG

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos