tcaeyx

Re: Rumor: American to make huge announcement

Wed Aug 07, 2019 7:42 pm

jplatts wrote:
AA adding DFW-SIN or LAX-SIN are possibilities

UA couldn't make LAX-SIN work. No way either LAX or DFW will work with their 789 configured as is.

Zbogart757

Wed Aug 07, 2019 7:57 pm

Just some thoughts I could possibly see happening

PHL-TLV/AGP/KEF possibly DEL
CLT-VCE/LHR goes 3x daily/MAD goes year round
DFW-BCN/AKL
ORD-PRG and JAL takes over NRT
LAX-ICN

Odd balls
PHL-MXP/HEL
CLT-AMS
LAX-BNE
I know that all of these won’t happen but just my 2 cents

braniff2hav

Wed Aug 07, 2019 8:50 pm

airlineworker wrote:
Max Q wrote:
Ditch their ridiculous ‘livery’ and go back
to their epic polished aluminum

I agree, the present livery looks like a second grade art class scribble. The AA on the tail was a classic and could be spotted in a crowd.I heard years back that airbus aircraft are not able to be polished as they use a different type of aluminum. Just what I heard.

That livery is hideous, like a screaming child flying down the runway. They could class it up a great deal.

gdg9

Wed Aug 07, 2019 9:07 pm

AA announced they are sponsoring the Los Angeles Rams' new stadium. Is this the 'big' announcement?
@dfwtower

santi319

Wed Aug 07, 2019 9:12 pm

braniff2hav wrote:
airlineworker wrote:
Max Q wrote:

I agree, the present livery looks like a second grade art class scribble. The AA on the tail was a classic and could be spotted in a crowd.I heard years back that airbus aircraft are not able to be polished as they use a different type of aluminum. Just what I heard.

That livery is hideous, like a screaming child flying down the runway. They could class it up a great deal.

Yes!! Their livery looks like keyboard carnival keys... like a European Holiday charter airline....

rajincajun01

Wed Aug 07, 2019 9:16 pm

gdg9 wrote:
AA announced they are sponsoring the Los Angeles Rams' new stadium. Is this the 'big' announcement?

Allegiant: Yay!! We're the only airline with naming rights on a NFL Stadium!

*Two days later*

American: FTFY. We now have the naming rights for a stadium with TWO NFL teams.
A319 A320 A321 A332 B1900 B717 B727 B737 B757 B767 B777 B787 CR2 CR7 CRJ9 E120 ERJ135 ERJ145 L1011 MD80 SF340 AvGeek Superstore

jcc747

Wed Aug 07, 2019 9:26 pm

gdg9 wrote:

No they are only sponsoring the plaza outside of the main entrance to the stadium (for $90 million). The stadium itself has not yet been named. The big AAnouncement will be about new routes or else they wouldn't have involved Vasu Raja in the video.

alasizon

Wed Aug 07, 2019 9:30 pm

gdg9 wrote:

As discussed upthread, it is not the actual stadium, only the entertainment plaza. And no, it isn't.
Manager on Duty & Tower Planner

filipair

Wed Aug 07, 2019 9:31 pm

braniff2hav wrote:
How on earth does AA see that Krakow would work for them, when they cannot make a very popular region of Italy (the #1 or #2 most visited country in Europe) work with BLQ. The problem is AA does not market their destinations with a passion of any sort. They load flights and think they will take off just by showing up on a screen. They have no true committment to these markets, hence they come and go. A market such as BLQ is ripe for the picking - on a seasonal basis. Turkey would be a great market as well in my eyes.

My take is that you have an outdated view. PRG, BUD and surprise surprise Dubrovnik have been successful. On the other hand it looks like BLQ and TXL won't return next summer.

If you ask me, KRK is a destination that belongs among that first group. US tourism in Kraków is booming, the market is underserved, and the outbound market to the US punches far above its weight (v. strong VFR ties). There are plenty of reasons to start the flight.

I am open to being proved wrong by the announcement and eventual results!

emuwarveteran

Wed Aug 07, 2019 9:44 pm

filipair wrote:

My take is that you have an outdated view. PRG, BUD and surprise surprise Dubrovnik have been successful. On the other hand it looks like BLQ and TXL won't return next summer.

If you ask me, KRK is a destination that belongs among that first group. US tourism in Kraków is booming, the market is underserved, and the outbound market to the US punches far above its weight (v. strong VFR ties). There are plenty of reasons to start the flight.

I am open to being proved wrong by the announcement and eventual results!

THANK YOU for saying this!!! It's sad how people always ignore anything in Europe east of the Germany-Austria-Italy line as "low yield" and "not worth it" when Kraków is currently experiencing a massive tourist boom. I think they should focus on countries like Poland or Croatia instead of adding tons of useless destinations in Southern Europe.
CL CRJ9, W6 A320

timberwolf24

Wed Aug 07, 2019 10:02 pm

With the talk of KRK, I could see AA doing ORD-KRK 3 times a week and ORD-DBV 4 times a week. Along with ORD-PRG done as a daily flight.
Living in LA, ORD/MDW will always be home!

DLHAM

Wed Aug 07, 2019 10:09 pm

Looking at the Europe Map with AA destinations these are the white spots IMO:

BHX
CPH
ARN
DUS
HAM
WAW
VIE
GVA
NCE

Somehow I am pretty sure NCE is one of the Destinations. They only serve one City in the huge country of France right now AND it fits in the US3s preference for warm water/tourist leisure destinations.
Then maybe one more east european Destination as they seem to love east europe and seem to be sucessful there and one ordinary route like Milan to somewhere maybe.
My Instagram Account: Instagram

Ziyulu

Wed Aug 07, 2019 10:36 pm

Why did my post about AA getting A380s get deleted? Moderators need to have a sense of humor here.

SRQLOT

Wed Aug 07, 2019 10:38 pm

timberwolf24 wrote:
With the talk of KRK, I could see AA doing ORD-KRK 3 times a week and ORD-DBV 4 times a week. Along with ORD-PRG done as a daily flight.

If KRK is in the plans I’m not sure if AA would add on to LOTs 3x weekly ORD flights. From what I’m hearing KRK really wants New York flights, and if anything PHL to connect along Midwest and Eastcoast without having to backtrack from ORD
LO LH CL BA AZ WN UA DL AA B6 NK
WAW,KRK,FRA,LGW,FCO,SLP,MTY,ORD,MDW,LAS,DFW,ATL,RDU,BNA,BHM,CLT,BOS,DTW,FLL,MCO RSW,TPA,SRQ (LOT,C09,LL40,DPA,6S8)
717 733/7/8/9/M8 744 752/3 763 788 319 320 321 332/3 M90 RJ85 CR9 Q400 E7/95 (PA28,152)

tropical

Wed Aug 07, 2019 11:05 pm

The internet and social media really are priceless gifts for companies to generate a lot of hot air. If this massive announcement turns out to be simply new routes... well, I am sorry but anyone who isn't an aviation enthusiast would expect anything described as really big news to be far more significant and exciting than an airline simply offering a few new destinations, unless they're planning to fly to the Moon or something. Indeed, anything short of a mega order, a merger or big acquisition, or expanding their business into a different industry might feel underwhelming to Joe Public.

Hell, I love aviation in general myself and have been in this forum for ages, and still wouldn't describe the news that any given airline is going to offer more routes as anything more than mildly interesting. Perhaps if one of the new destinations were to be an airport than no other airline had served from my home city I might get a bit more excited about it...

So in short, I'm expecting the news to be little less than AA being the launch customer for a new supersonic airliner starting in 2027. ;)
Last edited by tropical on Wed Aug 07, 2019 11:09 pm, edited 2 times in total.

M564038

Wed Aug 07, 2019 11:07 pm

The only announcement an airline could make that anyone outside this site would call «Huge», would be in the order of magnitude of going 100% electric or regular flights to the moon within 10 years.

Routes or liveries never leave the realm of tiny news.
Ordering 500 conventional airplanes would be minor news.

Personell-change, even if it is the CEO doesn’t even leave the building in news-worthiness.

gregn21

Wed Aug 07, 2019 11:18 pm

What about LAX-Europe? LH/UA have no competition in Germany now that AirBerlin is gone and AF/DL all but have a monopoly on CDG. Seems like there would be some room for Euro growth in a market as large as LAX.

Planes4you

Wed Aug 07, 2019 11:32 pm

gdg9 wrote:

When will you release the loads

x1234

Wed Aug 07, 2019 11:36 pm

Someone on One Mile at a Time mentioned BKK but BKK is low yielding and you can regularly find fares of LAX-BKK via the CN3 for <$800. It would be my dream come true for AA to fly LAX-BKK. My guesses are as good as yours but I'll throw PHL-MXP, LAX-MEL, ORD-PRG, PHL-GVA are the ones not mentioned yet. The HND-LAX & HND-DFW are obvious.

alasizon

Wed Aug 07, 2019 11:45 pm

gregn21 wrote:
What about LAX-Europe? LH/UA have no competition in Germany now that AirBerlin is gone and AF/DL all but have a monopoly on CDG. Seems like there would be some room for Euro growth in a market as large as LAX.

There is also EI to DUB, SU to SVO, AZ+DY to FCO, IG to MXP, OS to VIE, AA+BA+VS+UA to LHR, DL+KL to AMS, IB+DY to MAD, LO to WAW, DY to BCN, LGW, CPH, OSL, SK+DY to ARN, SE+DY to CDG, LX to ZRH, MT+VS to MAN

LAX is not lacking European options by any stretch of the imagination. Any demand to Eastern Europe from LAX can just as well be accomplished through a connection via PHL/ORD but you can't capture the Eastern O&D by backtracking through LAX.
Manager on Duty & Tower Planner

Newark727

Wed Aug 07, 2019 11:50 pm

They're going to go full Eurowhite. Please look forward to it.

MIflyer12

Wed Aug 07, 2019 11:51 pm

M564038 wrote:
T
Ordering 500 conventional airplanes would be minor news.

I'll disagree with that. A commitment to ~$50 billion in capital spending is news. I don't believe any carrier has announced orders for 500 aircraft in a single day. Skip the options/purchase rights nonsense.

American 767

Wed Aug 07, 2019 11:55 pm

gregn21 wrote:

I don't see American expanding Europe from LAX. If they add markets in Europe it would be from PHL and maybe CLT. The only route LAX-Europe that is working well for them is LAX-LHR because LHR is a One World hub and LHR and LAX are two major business markets. LAX-CDG maybe, but I doubt it would stay for ever. If they can't make LAX-CDG work then they won't be able to make any other European market nonstop from LAX work, other than LHR. American would rather expand the Pacific Rim from LAX if they add international flights out of LAX.
Ben Soriano

MIflyer12

Thu Aug 08, 2019 12:01 am

SRQLOT wrote:
timberwolf24 wrote:

If KRK is in the plans I’m not sure if AA would add on to LOTs 3x weekly ORD flights. From what I’m hearing KRK really wants New York flights, and if anything PHL to connect along Midwest and Eastcoast without having to backtrack from ORD

There's no demand KRK-PHL, so effectively AA would be selling 1-stop service. There's already 1-stop service to every major destination in North America via FRA and AMS. Hope for KRK-EWR for the NYC hook as well as the onward connections. (Selling LOT codeshares wouldn't hurt, either.)

flyoregon

Thu Aug 08, 2019 12:03 am

How about a build up of PDX as a TPAC mini-hub like Delta has done in Seattle...... (joking)

remymartin11

Thu Aug 08, 2019 12:13 am

PHX-NRT

TheRedBaron

Thu Aug 08, 2019 12:23 am

Since there is a typical Mexican stone mixer I am willing to bet a lot of MEX news included...
The best seat in a Plane is the Jumpseat.

airlineworker

Thu Aug 08, 2019 12:25 am

braniff2hav wrote:
airlineworker wrote:
Max Q wrote:

Believe it or not, the company let the employees vote on the new livery and it won. No accounting for taste.

southwest1675

Thu Aug 08, 2019 12:26 am

They're bringing back hubs to RDU, SJC, and BNA to compete with DL? ;)
Herb Kelleher 1931-2019

usflyer msp

Thu Aug 08, 2019 12:27 am

MIflyer12 wrote:
There's no demand KRK-PHL, so effectively AA would be selling 1-stop service. There's already 1-stop service to every major destination in North America via FRA and AMS.

And the difference between KRK and every other secondary European destination is what exactly?

WeatherPilot

Thu Aug 08, 2019 12:32 am

SYR-MIA/DFW

It would be HUGE news for me anyway :)

BNAMealer

Thu Aug 08, 2019 12:34 am

southwest1675 wrote:

Now that would be something.

I mean, CLT could use a reliever right? :bouncy:

Max Q

Thu Aug 08, 2019 12:58 am

OB1504 wrote:
Max Q wrote:

You can’t polish an A321 or a 787. That’s one of the reasons why they changed liveries.

You certainly could polish an A321, just like AA’s A300-600R fleet, it’s a metal airframe
The best contribution to safety is a competent Pilot.

Guns are a malignant cancer that are destroying our society

flyingisthebest

Thu Aug 08, 2019 1:33 am

Since everyone is obsessed with KUL.. How about HNL-KUL? Closest place with plenty of flights to AA hubs. Monopoly market plus the AA 788 are suitable with the small J cabins.

Personally I don’t see BNE-LAX announced as UA would have been on it already if there was demand. Just because QF has cut QF55/56 doesn’t mean the capacity is gone it just got redistributed to SFO. Besides LAX was so popular due to the need to go via LAX to a double connect in the states and really was the only flight to the US from BNE. That is now eliminated with ORD. The market is right sizing. Remember VA fly a 77W 6x a week to LAX as well.

If anything DFW-BNE is perfect for the market and AA has the right J/Y mix for the BNE market. 3x a week.

If we are going to have fun AA will be painting a 787-9 in Pan Am colours with a small American logo at the front in honour of Pan Am’s Miami hub. With this 787 American will announce a RTW flight with routing of PHL-CMN-JNB-KUL-BNE-DFW-MIA.

PSU.DTW.SCE

Thu Aug 08, 2019 1:35 am

Definitely a dance troupe or a 5K......

usflyer msp

Thu Aug 08, 2019 1:46 am

Max Q wrote:
OB1504 wrote:
Max Q wrote:

You can’t polish an A321 or a 787. That’s one of the reasons why they changed liveries.

You certainly could polish an A321, just like AA’s A300-600R fleet, it’s a metal airframe

AA's A300 fleet was initially painted gray. Airbus aircraft come with an anti-corrosicive coating ylthe prevents them from having bare metal liveries. AA removed the anti-corrosive during the C-checks and did not reapply it, so the A300's could have the bare metal livery after that.

incitatus

Thu Aug 08, 2019 2:27 am

gregn21 wrote:

As a seasonal route, instead of LAX-CDG which has a lot of service, LAX-NCE seems a lot more attractive.
I do not consume Murdoch products including the Wall Street Journal

csturdiv

Thu Aug 08, 2019 2:42 am

I cannot wait for the real announcement, but then it'll get lost in the bickering about the unrelated livery chatter.
An American expat from the ORD area living and working in SYD

goldenargosy

Thu Aug 08, 2019 2:56 am

Miami wrote:

Based soley off of this Twitter video, I'd guess it has something to do with expanded Mexico resort destinations, fresh in-flight guacamole (like they're doing at ORD Admirals club), free booze for everyone on all domestic flights and improved meals. That's all I got.

usflyer msp

Thu Aug 08, 2019 3:01 am

How about moving TXL from PHL to MIA. TXL-MIA has a decent local market, no competition and can still be flown by a 763. Main problem will be predominantly German point-of-sale, something AA struggles with.

grbauc

Thu Aug 08, 2019 3:10 am

Ziyulu wrote:
Why did my post about AA getting A380s get deleted? Moderators need to have a sense of humor here.

We have enough clutter here already. Ummm and maybe humor is subjective so some and or many might not find it funny. Also humor doesn't come across with text words that well. That's why many don't get or miss humor on this site or in are personal texts.
Text/words are only a part of communication. AA getting A380 is not very funny to me, neither are poop and crude jokes. To each his own though.

dmstorm22

Thu Aug 08, 2019 3:12 am

Is this going to be AA's version of the 'game-changing' UA announcement last year that basically was just expanding a few SFO routes?

PSU.DTW.SCE

Thu Aug 08, 2019 3:17 am

No, only the A220 can be referred to as a GAME-CHANGER.

flyboy7974

Thu Aug 08, 2019 3:42 am

My guess is with the success of DBVPHL, we see additional frequencies. BUD moves to A330 already previously discussed and my guess is KEF and Nice for new service to PHL. I think TXL makes the cut but not sure about BLQ.

Add PRGORD less then daily and decision made on new HND flights to DFW/LAX.

Add possibly new Australia with recent Qantas JV and TLVDFW announced.

Already announced, PHL 787 to MAN/ZRH/AMS starts Jan 7 and then MAN back 767 for summer season. The A321XLR will be a game changer for PHL.

Justapax

Thu Aug 08, 2019 4:02 am

PSU.DTW.SCE wrote:
No, only the A220 can be referred to as a GAME-CHANGER.

Haha. What was it at United during the Smisek era that was also heralded as a "game changer".

Detroit313

Thu Aug 08, 2019 5:34 am

A few more hours until the announcement...

ctrabs0114

Thu Aug 08, 2019 5:44 am

BroadwayLimited wrote:
Miami wrote:

You would think that AA would have a picture of the plane, painted in their new colors, on the top of their official twitter page. Not the old colors.

Right, because what sense would it make to salute the soon-to-be-retired MD83s from the AA fleet?
2019: DAL, MCI, PHX, LAS, DFW, SAT, ORD, SLC, SEA, DTW, PHL, MIA, LAX; B73G (WN x3), B738 (WN, AA, DL), A20N (NK), MD83 (AA), B788 (AA x2), CS1 (DL), B739 (DL), B712 (DL), B752 (AA), B763 (AA), B77W (AA), B789 (AA)
Next: TBA

ctrabs0114

Thu Aug 08, 2019 5:46 am

bigtidi wrote:
Buying Alaska Airlines

Please... everyone on A.net knows that AA won't buy AS until AS completes its merger with B6. :D
2019: DAL, MCI, PHX, LAS, DFW, SAT, ORD, SLC, SEA, DTW, PHL, MIA, LAX; B73G (WN x3), B738 (WN, AA, DL), A20N (NK), MD83 (AA), B788 (AA x2), CS1 (DL), B739 (DL), B712 (DL), B752 (AA), B763 (AA), B77W (AA), B789 (AA)

ctrabs0114

Thu Aug 08, 2019 5:49 am

BNAMealer wrote:
southwest1675 wrote:

Now that would be something.

I mean, CLT could use a reliever right? :bouncy:

As long as DL brings back the DFW hub... :duck:

millionsofmiles

Thu Aug 08, 2019 5:49 am

flyingisthebest wrote:
Since everyone is obsessed with KUL.. How about HNL-KUL? Closest place with plenty of flights to AA hubs. Monopoly market plus the AA 788 are suitable with the small J cabins.

Personally I don’t see BNE-LAX announced as UA would have been on it already if there was demand. Just because QF has cut QF55/56 doesn’t mean the capacity is gone it just got redistributed to SFO. Besides LAX was so popular due to the need to go via LAX to a double connect in the states and really was the only flight to the US from BNE. That is now eliminated with ORD. The market is right sizing. Remember VA fly a 77W 6x a week to LAX as well.

If anything DFW-BNE is perfect for the market and AA has the right J/Y mix for the BNE market. 3x a week.

If we are going to have fun AA will be painting a 787-9 in Pan Am colours with a small American logo at the front in honour of Pan Am’s Miami hub. With this 787 American will announce a RTW flight with routing of PHL-CMN-JNB-KUL-BNE-DFW-MIA.

Why would AA honor Pan Am’s MIA hub? Pan Am’s MIA operation went largely to United.

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos