benjjk

Re: Updated: Qantas picks A350-1000 as preferred platform for Project Sunrise; Final decision due March 2020

Thu Dec 19, 2019 5:23 am

I rank "Qantas have been planning to use a 787 all along" right up there with "The moon landing was filmed in a studio". Please...

Reddevil556 wrote:
I’m still convinced the whole Project Sunrise is a pipe dream for Qantas. I predict a new generation of supersonics linked networks will render Sunrise useless. It’s a niche market and already requires a premium. Why not spend a little more for half the travel time? I know I speak blasphemy to the masses.

It's not so much blasphemy as a fantasy. SST is probably a good couple of decades away from being financially competitive with the tech we have today.

tommy1808

Re: Updated: Qantas picks A350-1000 as preferred platform for Project Sunrise; Final decision due March 2020

Thu Dec 19, 2019 5:53 am

Reddevil556 wrote:
I’m still convinced the whole Project Sunrise is a pipe dream for Qantas. I predict a new generation of supersonics linked networks will render Sunrise useless. It’s a niche market and already requires a premium. Why not spend a little more for half the travel time? I know I speak blasphemy to the masses.

Supersonic and Night Curfew don´t necessarily play that well together on long haul, you just often arrive to early to land .....

Waterbomber2 wrote:
A 180-190 seats B789 is still far from all-premium. JL makes a similar configuration work on several long haul routes.

the 150 seats an increased MTOW 789 could conceivably carry to LHR will be premium by definition because of LHR fees suddenly becoming quite a bit of cost. A morning Arrival slot has almost the enough value to buy a 787, fees are high.... that probably is why they where hoping for a 300 seater.

best regards
Thomas
This Singature is a safe space......

RickNRoll

Thu Dec 19, 2019 6:07 am

They would be because he has dragged this or for so long for so little progress. Wouldn't you be doing things in parallel that can be? Such a negotiating with the crew about terms and conditions earlier?

scbriml

Thu Dec 19, 2019 8:21 am

Waterbomber2 wrote:
-Well, who's to say that Boeing didn't offer them exactly that? "Alan, are you sure that you don't want to rethink this with B787's?"

Well, if they did, it was clearly rejected. Mythical MTOW increase or not.

Over two years ago it was made clear the choice was between the A350 and 777-8. All the experts here said the A350 stood exactly zero chance.
Time flies like an arrow. Fruit flies like a banana!
There are 10 types of people in the World - those that understand binary and those that don't.

Baldr

Thu Dec 19, 2019 8:39 am

scbriml wrote:
Waterbomber2 wrote:
-Well, who's to say that Boeing didn't offer them exactly that? "Alan, are you sure that you don't want to rethink this with B787's?"

Well, if they did, it was clearly rejected. Mythical MTOW increase or not.

Over two years ago it was made clear the choice was between the A350 and 777-8. All the experts here said the A350 stood exactly zero chance.

Yes, those "experts" and Boeing itself appears to have severely underestimated the A350-1000.

qf789
Topic Author

Thu Dec 19, 2019 9:09 am

Due to the amount of flamebait in the thread topic is now locked
Forum Moderator

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos