Ishrion
Topic Author

American Airlines Adds Boston To Grand Cayman

Thu Aug 22, 2019 5:59 am

Uh... that's interesting.

https://www.routesonline.com/news/38/ai ... -jan-2020/

Previously served by U.S. Airways until May 2010.

Once weekly flight on Saturdays starting January 11 on a 737-800.

AA currently serves GCM year-round from CLT, DFW, and MIA and has seasonal service to ORD and PHL.

I believe AA also serves Cancun, Montego Bay, Providenciales, Punta Cana seasonally from Boston.

Really didn't see this coming... JetBlue is the only other airline on the route.

I guess AA isn't done with BOS?

SurfandSnow

Re: American Airlines Adds Boston To Grand Cayman

Thu Aug 22, 2019 6:08 am

Interesting...DL still doesn't offer some sort of nonstop BOS-GCM service?
Flying in the middle seat of coach is much better than not flying at all!

jfklganyc

Thu Aug 22, 2019 10:58 am

Weird addition.

As long as there is money to be made, right?

MIflyer12

Thu Aug 22, 2019 11:59 am

SurfandSnow wrote:
Interesting...DL still doesn't offer some sort of nonstop BOS-GCM service?

I'm always happy to see new non-stop flights added to BOS - it's an airport I use regularly. But I wouldn't read too much meaning into a seasonal, one day a week service. That's not a big add of ASMs.

Further, I don't presume that DL's growth at BOS will mean copying every route and frequency flown by B6 today. What's the point of that, really?

sargester

Thu Aug 22, 2019 3:29 pm

jfklganyc wrote:
Weird addition.

Amen to that

FSDan

Thu Aug 22, 2019 4:28 pm

Definitely unexpected... BOS is still hands down AA's largest non-hub station, but with their recent P2P cuts throughout the network, I keep wondering how long the BOS-Caribbean flights (plus PIT-RDU, BOS-MDT, BOS-ROC, and BOS-SYR) will stick around. I guess a little while longer.
This is my signature until I think of a better one.

USAirALB

Thu Aug 22, 2019 4:43 pm

US also used to do BOS-BDA/AUA. AUA was dropped around 2010. They may have done BOS-NAS at some point as well, IIRC.

I wonder if internally US/AA regrets their drawdown of BOS, seeing how DL somehow was able to make their BOS expansion work.
RJ85, F70, E135, E140, E145, E70, E75, E90, CR2, CR7, CR9, 717, 732, 733, 734, 735, 73G, 738, 739, 744, 752, 753, 762, 772, 77E, 77W, 789, 319, 320, 321, 332, 333, 343, 359, 388

Brickell305

Thu Aug 22, 2019 4:58 pm

FSDan wrote:
Definitely unexpected... BOS is still hands down AA's largest non-hub station, but with their recent P2P cuts throughout the network, I keep wondering how long the BOS-Caribbean flights (plus PIT-RDU, BOS-MDT, BOS-ROC, and BOS-SYR) will stick around. I guess a little while longer.

It's pretty easy to fill a plane from Boston to anywhere warm during winter so I can see them sticking on the Caribbean routes for a while.

tphuang

Thu Aug 22, 2019 5:02 pm

USAirALB wrote:
US also used to do BOS-BDA/AUA. AUA was dropped around 2010. They may have done BOS-NAS at some point as well, IIRC.

I wonder if internally US/AA regrets their drawdown of BOS, seeing how DL somehow was able to make their BOS expansion work.

it's precisely because DL's expansion that made AA cut some of these routes. Hard for a legacy to break even on non-hub routes at the current yield level.

spinotter

Thu Aug 22, 2019 5:59 pm

jfklganyc wrote:
Weird addition.

Totally. But AA in BOS? And to a seasonal destination like GCM? Once a week in the high season? I tentatively put forward the hypothesis that this might be a signal from AA to DL. If so, what sort of signal?

spinotter

Thu Aug 22, 2019 6:05 pm

tphuang wrote:
USAirALB wrote:

it's precisely because DL's expansion that made AA cut some of these routes. Hard for a legacy to break even on non-hub routes at the current yield level.

As far as US goes, who would have thought that they could have captured AA a few years ago? Piedmont downgrade to Allegheny, America West victor. Dougie at the helm. Got AA's employees on board. And now - who would have expected PHL to DBV? A new comprehensive TATL hub. And Charlotte? The mind reels... But now there are the US3, WN, and a few dogs and cats. I would love to see a new route that could astonish me, but I don't think that any are left. All the possible are taken.

Ishrion
Topic Author

Sun Aug 25, 2019 2:47 pm

I decided to look at the forward bookings for AA's other BOS-Carribean routes...

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I don't believe there's any weight restrictions.

BOS-PLS A319 12/21:
Business: 0/8 Open
Economy: 29/120 Open

BOS-PLS A319 12/28:
Economy: 50/120 Open

BOS-PLS A319 1/4
Business: 3/8 Open
Economy: 17/120 Open

The return flight for 12/21, however, isn't doing as well but still has a good amount of seats sold.

PLS-BOS A319 12/28
Economy: 24/120 Open

PLS-BOS A319 1/4
Business: 1/8 Open
Economy: 13/120 Open

That's pretty great considering we're still about 3-4 months out from the flight.

The other BOS-Carribean routes don't seem to be doing as well as BOS-PLS, but still have a good amount of seats sold.

Hope this new route does well.

jayunited

Sun Aug 25, 2019 3:16 pm

spinotter wrote:
Totally. But AA in BOS? And to a seasonal destination like GCM? Once a week in the high season? I tentatively put forward the hypothesis that this might be a signal from AA to DL. If so, what sort of signal?

You can't just focus on the 1x weekly part of the equation because the second part of the equation is the season. We have to keep in mind travel habits of people during the winter from the Northeast to the Midwest and the Plains. People in this part of the country are looking for ways to escape winters icy grip and most people are not looking to escape for a weekend but for a entire week and the cheapest airfare is to the Caribbean instead of Hawaii. Sometimes it takes a 2-3 day in the sun just to thaw out especially if it a brutal winter. If demand is strong that could translate into higher ticket prices but in most cases higher prices to the Caribbean is still cheaper than a flight to Hawaii. Also with most of these 1x weekly flights the crew including the pilots are not scheduled on a layover, they are working the turn back to the states this keeps cost down.

These types of flights during the winter months can provide additional profit at very little cost.

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos