EIBPI
Topic Author

Wizz Air News & Expansion

Thu Aug 22, 2019 8:07 am

Wizz Air have just announced their first flights from London Southend:

Bucharest (Romania)
Sibiu (Romania)
Vilnius (Lithuania)
Total of 14 weekly flights from the airport starting from this coming 2019/2020 winter schedule.

Some news from Vienna is also expected today.

Someone83

Re: Wizz Air News & Expansion

Thu Aug 22, 2019 8:21 am

I assume these are route to Southend, ie flying in from other bases?

pdp

Thu Aug 22, 2019 8:23 am

Assuming these are on the Hungarian AOC, W6 is still aggressively targeting the UK market! I'm wondering what the next W9 base will be...

SMKCosmopolitan

Thu Aug 22, 2019 8:53 am

pdp wrote:
Assuming these are on the Hungarian AOC, W6 is still aggressively targeting the UK market! I'm wondering what the next W9 base will be...

At this point it's almost a certainty that Lviv will be opened next summer (this has been repeatedly stated by the airport's CEO). Otherwise I suppose it's mostly up to high-cost airports being willing to lower their fees. Potential contenders in my opinion are
- Dortmund (positive outlier in terms of landing fees - no issue here)
- Larnaca (rumored; definitely makes sense in my opinion due to 1) large untapped demand, 2) strong current track record with W6, 3) higher operational efficiency in case of base due to "remoteness" from other bases)
- Ljubljana (in case Adria Airways goes bust)
- Prishtina (subject to adjustment of high airport fees)
- Tel Aviv (unfortunately El Al protectionism prevents this for the moment, otherwise a no-brainer given W6's strong performance in Israel)
- Tirana (subject to adjustment of high airport fees)

EIBPI
Topic Author

Thu Aug 22, 2019 8:58 am

Someone83 wrote:

Yes, indeed. Some reduction in flying from LTN (Sibiu).

djvalume

Thu Aug 22, 2019 9:00 am

EIBPI wrote:
Some news from Vienna is also expected today.

3 more aircraft

SCQ83

Thu Aug 22, 2019 9:39 am

EIBPI wrote:
Someone83 wrote:

SEN gives subsidies to airlines like Ryanair and easyJet. FR in SEN is not doing very well with cuts expected, so this comes handy for W6.

8herveg

Thu Aug 22, 2019 9:44 am

SCQ83 wrote:
EIBPI wrote:
Someone83 wrote:

SEN gives subsidies to airlines like Ryanair and easyJet. FR in SEN is not doing very well with cuts expected, so this comes handy for W6.

How do you know this about FR out of interest? And what cuts can we expect? Doesn't sound promising after just one season...

SCQ83

Thu Aug 22, 2019 9:50 am

8herveg wrote:
How do you know this about FR out of interest? And what cuts can we expect? Doesn't sound promising after just one season...

It was mentioned in the FR closure base thread. Also you can check flights to some new destinations like BIO, KSC or CLJ are in fire sale mode even now in summer.

konkret

Thu Aug 22, 2019 10:46 am

SMKCosmopolitan wrote:
- Tel Aviv (unfortunately El Al protectionism prevents this for the moment, otherwise a no-brainer given W6's strong performance in Israel)

How exactly does LY prevent W6 from flying SEN - TLV?

EIBPI
Topic Author

Thu Aug 22, 2019 10:46 am

Wizz Air now has 6% of the market share in Vienna. The base is set to grow to 8 aircraft (from 6).

From 18/12/2019:
Athens - daily
Cologne - daily
Pristina - 4 weekly
Tirana - 4 weekly

From 01/07/2020:
Castellón - 2 weekly
London Luton - daily

Frequency increases from 01/07/2020:
Lisbon - from 4 weekly to daily
Tel Aviv - from 1 daily to 2 daily

aircatalonia

Thu Aug 22, 2019 11:28 am

I don't quite understand their new strategy of opening bases in western Europe. Lower labor costs in eastern Europe is what brought them success. Now they are trapped in places like London and Vienna with a lot of competition and the next downturn may be just around the corner...

Perhaps they should have invested in smaller planes and fly new, thinner east-west routes.

Blerg

Thu Aug 22, 2019 11:31 am

I wonder if VIE-DTM is a successful route which encouraged them to launch VIE-CGN? Interesting how aggressive they are becoming, they are also attacking OS-EW in PRN. I wonder how LH Group will respond but I also wonder if their VIE base is profitable for them or if they are seeing reduced losses...

lhrsfosyd91

Thu Aug 22, 2019 11:35 am

aircatalonia wrote:
I don't quite understand their new strategy of opening bases in western Europe. Lower labor costs in eastern Europe is what brought them success. Now they are trapped in places like London and Vienna with a lot of competition and the next downturn may be just around the corner...

Perhaps they should have invested in smaller planes and fly new, thinner east-west routes.

Along with higher labour costs you have higher revenue. Brand awareness around Luton is quite strong therefore base was set up to the most popular places and the ones with no competition. It's simply easy to fill up and airline like Wizzair does not need extraordinary yield to make a profit.

Vienna offers subsidies and they seem to be winning against Level and easyjet which are both flat or got negative growth. They only real competitor is Lauda.

EIBPI
Topic Author

Thu Aug 22, 2019 11:54 am

Blerg wrote:
I wonder if VIE-DTM is a successful route which encouraged them to launch VIE-CGN? Interesting how aggressive they are becoming, they are also attacking OS-EW in PRN. I wonder how LH Group will respond but I also wonder if their VIE base is profitable for them or if they are seeing reduced losses...

In investor calls they claim their Western European bases are profitable.

Cologne may have been a late addition in recent days. TAP pulling out and Eurowings decreasing their winter flying by another 20% on top of previously announced cuts might be putting pressure on management to offer sweet deals..
The initial PR route launch graphic was published this morning without Cologne included.
Last edited by EIBPI on Thu Aug 22, 2019 12:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.

eaa3

Thu Aug 22, 2019 11:54 am

lhrsfosyd91 wrote:
aircatalonia wrote:

Along with higher labour costs you have higher revenue. Brand awareness around Luton is quite strong therefore base was set up to the most popular places and the ones with no competition. It's simply easy to fill up and airline like Wizzair does not need extraordinary yield to make a profit.

Vienna offers subsidies and they seem to be winning against Level and easyjet which are both flat or got negative growth. They only real competitor is Lauda.

I flew with them yesterday out of LTN on a UK based aircraft that was not going to another base airport. Crew returned to LTN on the next sector. All the crew were certainly Eastern European. Remember that because of the EU they can bring in anyone from Europe. I suspect that they’re doing that.
Last edited by eaa3 on Thu Aug 22, 2019 11:57 am, edited 1 time in total.

Blerg

Thu Aug 22, 2019 11:56 am

EIBPI wrote:
Blerg wrote:

In investor calls they claim their Western European bases are profitable.

Cologne may have been a late addition in recent days. TAP pulling out and Eurowings decreasing their winter flying by another 20% on top of previously announced cuts might be putting pressure on management to offer sweet details.
The initial PR route launch graphic was published this morning without Cologne included.

Didn't know about the EW cuts in CGN, do you happen to know what are they?

lhrsfosyd91

Thu Aug 22, 2019 12:02 pm

eaa3 wrote:
lhrsfosyd91 wrote:
aircatalonia wrote:

I flew with them yesterday out of LTN on a UK based aircraft that was not going to another base airport. Crew returned to LTN on the next sector. All the crew were certainly Eastern European. Remember that because of the EU they can bring in anyone from Europe. I suspect that they’re doing that.

Plenty of cheap labour in a deprived town like Luton.

SCQ83

Thu Aug 22, 2019 12:03 pm

SMKCosmopolitan wrote:
pdp wrote:

At this point it's almost a certainty that Lviv will be opened next summer (this has been repeatedly stated by the airport's CEO). Otherwise I suppose it's mostly up to high-cost airports being willing to lower their fees. Potential contenders in my opinion are
- Dortmund (positive outlier in terms of landing fees - no issue here)
- Larnaca (rumored; definitely makes sense in my opinion due to 1) large untapped demand, 2) strong current track record with W6, 3) higher operational efficiency in case of base due to "remoteness" from other bases)
- Ljubljana (in case Adria Airways goes bust)
- Prishtina (subject to adjustment of high airport fees)
- Tirana (subject to adjustment of high airport fees)

Dortmund would be an interesting base. The airport is quite stagnant (in 2018 it had fewer passengers than in 2008) so it could be Wizzair's Luton in NRW. Interestingly, easyJet's only route there is LTN-DTM :D. I agree also about LCA. For instance at the moment there are no flights from LCA to Spain. Maybe they could strike a deal like Ryanair and Malta and create a Cypriot AOC, so they could fly to Kazakhstan, Azerbaijan... TIA, PRN and LJU definitely make also sense.

gilesdavies

Thu Aug 22, 2019 12:05 pm

Expansion at Luton by Wizz Air will be difficult going forward, there literally is no room to base further aircraft and they will soon be reaching (if they have not already passed) their 18 million passenger limit the government set when they agreed the latest expansion a few years back...

Unlike LGW and LHR where runway capacity is the issue, this is not the case at Luton, now the new Taxiways have come into effect and no backtracking is required... The problem lies with how to fit more aircraft on to the already tightly packed apron.

EIBPI
Topic Author

Thu Aug 22, 2019 12:09 pm

Blerg wrote:

Cancelled for the winter: ATH, DUB, LCA, NCE, STN (-19 weekly freqs)
Decreased frequences: BUD, CTA, HAM, MUC, MXP, TXL, ZRH (-34 weekly freqs)

They seem to modify the timetable every second week so there might be some further changes since.

EIBPI
Topic Author

Thu Aug 22, 2019 12:13 pm

SCQ83 wrote:
Dortmund would be an interesting base. The airport is quite stagnant (in 2018 it had fewer passengers than in 2008) so it could be Wizzair's Luton in NRW. Interestingly, easyJet's only route there is LTN-DTM :D. I agree also about LCA. For instance at the moment there are no flights from LCA to Spain. Maybe they could strike a deal like Ryanair and Malta and create a Cypriot AOC, so they could fly to Kazakhstan, Azerbaijan... TIA, PRN and LJU definitely make also sense.

DTM is still limited by opening hours/night curfew.

Blerg

Thu Aug 22, 2019 12:13 pm

A LCA base wouldn't make sense because there aren't that many markets that are left unserved. LCA-ATH is the biggest market out there (over 1.000.000 passengers a year) but they would face so much competition from other airlines, even Ryanair failed on ATH-PFO.
On top of that many European flights would be over 3 hours meaning they could operate two segments per day. Getting a Cypriot AOC is also not an option as they would be banned from overflying Turkey. Cyprus is best served by planes from other bases.

Blerg

Thu Aug 22, 2019 12:14 pm

EIBPI wrote:
Blerg wrote:

Cancelled for the winter: ATH, DUB, LCA, NCE, STN (-19 weekly freqs)
Decreased frequences: BUD, CTA, HAM, MUC, MXP, TXL, ZRH (-34 weekly freqs)

They seem to modify the timetable every second week so there might be some further changes since.

Interesting that CGN-BUD is being reduced, do you know by how much? That's a total of 53 weekly frequencies, crazy drop by EW!

EIBPI
Topic Author

Thu Aug 22, 2019 12:18 pm

Blerg wrote:
EIBPI wrote:
Blerg wrote:
Interesting that CGN-BUD is being reduced, do you know by how much? That's a total of 53 weekly frequencies, crazy drop by EW!

BUD is on sale at 4/7 from 28/10 (1/345/7). It was previously on sale daily.

Blerg

Thu Aug 22, 2019 12:23 pm

EIBPI wrote:
Blerg wrote:
EIBPI wrote:

BUD is on sale at 4/7 from 28/10 (1/345/7). It was previously on sale daily.

Interesting, thank you. I guess EW has to rationalize their network.

EIBPI
Topic Author

Thu Aug 22, 2019 12:25 pm

Blerg wrote:
A LCA base wouldn't make sense because there aren't that many markets that are left unserved. LCA-ATH is the biggest market out there (over 1.000.000 passengers a year) but they would face so much competition from other airlines, even Ryanair failed on ATH-PFO.
On top of that many European flights would be over 3 hours meaning they could operate two segments per day. Getting a Cypriot AOC is also not an option as they would be banned from overflying Turkey. Cyprus is best served by planes from other bases.

Your arguments against a Larnaca base are fair. However, Wizz Air operate a good number of bases where the average segment distance is rather long so I would not necessary use that as the main argument. Quite a few arrivals into Bulgaria, Georgia, Romania, and other places between 01:00-04:00 to squeeze in another segment.

Today's late evening departures from Luton:
21:00 Katowice (00:15 arrival)
21:15 Varna (02:40 arrival)
21:30 Wrocklaw (00:35 arrival)
21:40 Vilnius (02:20 arrival)
21:55 Bucharest (03:10 arrival)
21:55 Cluj (02:55 arrival)
21:55 Timisoara (02:55 arrival)
21:55 Sofia (02:55 arrival)
22:40 Suceava (03:45 arrival)
22:40 Constanta (04:05 arrival)
00:05 Chisinau (05:20 arrival)

Blerg

Thu Aug 22, 2019 12:33 pm

EIBPI wrote:
Blerg wrote:

Your arguments against a Larnaca base are fair. However, Wizz Air operate a good number of bases where the average segment distance is rather long so I would not necessary use that as the main argument. Quite a few arrivals into Bulgaria, Georgia, Romania, and other places between 01:00-04:00 to squeeze in another segment.

Today's late evening departures from Luton:
21:00 Katowice (00:15 arrival)
21:15 Varna (02:40 arrival)
21:30 Wrocklaw (00:35 arrival)
21:40 Vilnius (02:20 arrival)
21:55 Bucharest (03:10 arrival)
21:55 Cluj (02:55 arrival)
21:55 Timisoara (02:55 arrival)
21:55 Sofia (02:55 arrival)
22:40 Suceava (03:45 arrival)
22:40 Constanta (04:05 arrival)
00:05 Chisinau (05:20 arrival)

Yes but at the same time many longer routes from LCA would probably compete with Ryanair from PFO and I don't think the market is big enough for both of them. Not to mention that PFO is considerably cheaper than LCA. PFO needs FR, LCA doesn't need W6. That is why I think it's far wiser for them to keep on operating the way they do.

In the future if the island unifies then Tymvou airport in Nicosia would be a great market for either one of them as they could also serve Turkey. However for the time being things are the way they are.

SCQ83

Thu Aug 22, 2019 12:42 pm

Blerg wrote:

I don't think so. Cyprus is very focused on UK, Greece and Eastern Europe/Russia tourism. From the rest of continental Western Europe, Cyprus is not particularly well connected.

Spain, France and Portugal have no regular flights with Cyprus. Benelux, Germany or Italy have flights but the market is not huge.

Those are long routes but so are the trillion new routes out of KUT. It seems Wizz is more confortable with 4-5 hour routes than FR.

There are quite a few "Wizzair airports" out there that have no regular flights with Cyprus and could work: major/medium airports in Spain/Portugal/France, BLQ, PSA, BRI, NAP, TSF, CRL, EIN, DTM, HAM, FKB, NUE, GDN, etc. Plenty of untapped airports. And they could always compete in other airports.

Blerg

Thu Aug 22, 2019 1:43 pm

SCQ83 wrote:
Blerg wrote:

I don't think so. Cyprus is very focused on UK, Greece and Eastern Europe/Russia tourism. From the rest of continental Western Europe, Cyprus is not particularly well connected.

Spain, France and Portugal have no regular flights with Cyprus. Benelux, Germany or Italy have flights but the market is not huge.

Those are long routes but so are the trillion new routes out of KUT. It seems Wizz is more confortable with 4-5 hour routes than FR.

There are quite a few "Wizzair airports" out there that have no regular flights with Cyprus and could work: major/medium airports in Spain/Portugal/France, BLQ, PSA, BRI, NAP, TSF, CRL, EIN, DTM, HAM, FKB, NUE, GDN, etc. Plenty of untapped airports. And they could always compete in other airports.

Are you seriously comparing Kutaisi to Cyprus? Let me remind you that the two Cypriot airports handled close to 10 million passengers last year without handing out a single cent in subsidies. The market is there. The market to France and the Benelux was never large and is best served by charter flights in summer or by likes of Transavia which flies from AMS. Even CY by the end had reduced CDG to 3 weekly while AMS always performed better due to the code-share with KLM. Cobalt also struggled to fill flights to France and Spain. These is a reason why some markets have less coverage than others.

Mind you, FR used to fly from Cyprus to Bologna some years ago when they launched LCA flights, the route was eventually discontinued. Same with CRL, even FR operates BRU-LCA now. Vueling also operated BCN-LCA and I think that route was also cut. Spain is best served by Aegean via Athens and by Alitalia via FCO.

Like I said, LCA is not a cheap airport and Wizz Air would really have to invest a large sum of money in order to position itself on a highly seasonal market. FR beat them to the punch when they opened a base in Paphos.

SCQ83

Thu Aug 22, 2019 2:03 pm

Take it easy :D.

I would be surprised Ryanair is not subsidised in PFO in one way or another.

10 million passengers might seem a lot in some contexts like former Yugoslavia but it is not a lot in an European context. It is not much more that what Ibiza, Faro or Heraklion have.

I don't see how Kutaisi-Marseille or Kutaisi-Pisa are more feasible than Larnaca-Madrid or Larnaca-Lyon (maybe some Georgian VFR). Years ago the market was less overcrowded and carriers did not have to be so creative with new destinations. Malta has proven that with the right incentives they can attract carriers and have a massive network of destinations (granted MLA is more central in Europe). So IMO Larnaca has plenty of potential growth specially considering that two of the largest countries in Europe (France and Spain) have 0 scheduled flights with the country.

P1aneMad

Thu Aug 22, 2019 2:21 pm

LCA airport is far better situated to capture most of the Cypriot market than PFO.
Plus W6 already flies to 16 destinations from there with two more to come. Existing flight program more than allows the opening of a base and at least a couple A320s to be based there.
FR in PFO, which as I mentioned already is way less conveniently situated to serve the island than LCA will soon be flying to 25 destinations, the vast majority of them year round. If I am not greatly mistaken they have based 3 737s there and David O’Brien recently stated that they would be increasing their PFO capacity by 30% for next year while company-wide their overall capacity will only increase by 3% for 2020. The MAX debacle has really hurt their growth plans!
So W6 has plenty of destinations it can try from LCA, I would argue that apart from those already mentioned upthread TLV is a real no-brainer with massive and continuously increasing demand plus BEY although I am not sure about the bilateral situation. Poland too where W6 is very strong.

Just my2cents

Blerg

Thu Aug 22, 2019 2:44 pm

SCQ83 what has ex-Yugoslavia got to do with anything? No need for condescending comments, thank you very much.

You do realize that Cyprus is home to 850.000 people? Two airports handling 10 million is pretty impressive given the size and the population of the island republic. So comparing it to Ibiza or Heraklion which are found in much larger countries is silly, not to mention that both airports have considerable domestic demand, something Cyprus doesn't have for obvious reasons.

As for Spain and France, you are still stubbornly insisting despite me telling you that in the past there were flights but they were all eventually suspended. That's a clear indication that the market is simply not there. If there were enough passengers to Spain then Vueling would not have discontinued their flights and AF or Transavia would have launched CDG-LCA after CY's or Cobalt's demise. Malta has more flights to western Europe simply because that's where their focus is. Cyprus is more oriental hence why they have a far superior network to the Middle East. Just because they are two islands in the same sea doesn't mean their demand is to the same markets.

As for LCA,yes their location is better because they are closer to Nicosia and they also cover areas such as Agia Napa. That said, Paphos covers all of western Cyprus as well as Limassol so their catchment area isn't that small. After all, if it was then FR would have struggled to maintain their base there. By the way, there are regular buses that go from Nicosia to Paphos airport now and I know many people who do it to catch a cheaper flight out of Cyprus.

Like I wrote in a previous comment, Wizz Air would have to spend a considerable amount of money in Cyprus. On top of that BEY would be off limits due to the bilateral and so would all Russian destinations while ATH and TLV are extremely competitive. If I remember correctly there are between 40 and 50 weekly flights from LCA to TLV. Fares are already low and Wizz Air would not be bringing anything new to the game.

Frontier14

Thu Aug 22, 2019 3:27 pm

Appears that Indigo Partners investment in Wizz is certainly paying off with this new round of expansion. Good for them.

Frontier 14

EIBPI
Topic Author

Thu Aug 22, 2019 3:31 pm

The surprise of the day.

Ryanair is going head to again against Wizz Air with flights from London Southend to Bucharest (5 weekly) and Vilnius (3 weekly). I would not be surprised if the flights are on the same days at similar times. Last week Ryanair more or less copied Wizz Air's Odessa-Budapest schedule.

https://corporate.ryanair.com/news/ryan ... expansion/

EIBPI
Topic Author

Thu Aug 22, 2019 3:34 pm

Wizz Air will also be closing a number of Vienna routes from the W2019 schedule:
Bergen
Gdańsk
Malmo
Tuzla (previously announced)

These are supposedly going to operate again in S2020, but let's see.

SMKCosmopolitan

Thu Aug 22, 2019 4:13 pm

konkret wrote:
SMKCosmopolitan wrote:

How exactly does LY prevent W6 from flying SEN - TLV?

Of course, LY can't prevent W6 to launch SEN-TLV. But their lobbying is at least partially to blame for the stalling negotiations between Wizz Air and Israel regarding the opening of a base in TLV (see link). https://www.ch-aviation.com/portal/news ... base-plans

Blerg

Thu Aug 22, 2019 4:23 pm

EIBPI wrote:
The surprise of the day.

Ryanair is going head to again against Wizz Air with flights from London Southend to Bucharest (5 weekly) and Vilnius (3 weekly). I would not be surprised if the flights are on the same days at similar times. Last week Ryanair more or less copied Wizz Air's Odessa-Budapest schedule.

https://corporate.ryanair.com/news/ryan ... expansion/

This should be fun to watch as both of them go head to head especially since Wizz Air is no longer a small, regional airline. This could be a stalling tactic by FR, they will force W6 to defend their eastern markets in stead of expanding more and more to the west.

SMKCosmopolitan

Thu Aug 22, 2019 4:32 pm

EIBPI wrote:
Wizz Air will also be closing a number of Vienna routes from the W2019 schedule:
Bergen
Gdańsk
Malmo

Given the extremely low average fares especially for their flights to Tuzla and Malmö I'm not surprised. In my opinion, Nis is the next destination to be cancelled (extremely low average fares), while I could imagine that they'll use the released capacity on new routes.

Which potential routes do you see for W6 in Vienna? I think the should consider the following
- Turku (HEL currently with insanely high average fares from VIE)
- Leipzig/Nuremberg (in case their BRE/DTM/CGN endeavor turns out well; routes with rather low frequency and w/o a price battle from VIE à la BER/HAM)
- Turin or Verona (not yet served from VIE)
- Prague (OS monopoly route)
- Podgorica (high-yielding OS monopoly route; in case TIA/PRN will be a success)
- Iasi (given the success of VIE-CLJ and especially VIE-KIV; OS monopoly route)
What are your ideas on those suggestions? Or do you have some other routes in mind?

EIBPI
Topic Author

Thu Aug 22, 2019 4:36 pm

Ryanair and Wizz Air will also be going head to head on a number of destinations from Edinburgh.

On 05 August, Wizz Air announced Edinburgh to Budapest, Bucharest, Gdansk and Warsaw.
On 08 August, Ryanair announced Edinburgh to Bucharest and additional frequencies to Budapest, Gdansk, and Warsaw (Modlin).

https://www.businesstraveller.com/busin ... edinburgh/
https://www.businesstraveller.com/busin ... t-service/

SCQ83

Thu Aug 22, 2019 5:23 pm

SMKCosmopolitan wrote:
Which potential routes do you see for W6 in Vienna? I think the should consider the following
- Leipzig/Nuremberg (in case their BRE/DTM/CGN endeavor turns out well; routes with rather low frequency and w/o a price battle from VIE à la BER/HAM)
- Podgorica (high-yielding OS monopoly route; in case TIA/PRN will be a success)
What are your ideas on those suggestions? Or do you have some other routes in mind?

The routes you mentioned could make sense other than PRG. Vienna-Prague is a 300 km. car, 4-hour Flixbus/train ride. Nobody can compete on P2P with that. There are plenty of routes they could try:

- Gatwick: Level is cancelling the route.
- Frankfurt. OS/LH duopoly.
- Berlin SXF. Only easyJet and Austrian in TXL.
- Karlsruhe: Unserved
- Odesa and Lviv. OS monopoly and W6/FR are growing there.
- Split. OS/OU duopoly.
- Tallinn. Only Air Baltic and Nordica. No ULCC option.
- Lyon. Only Austrian and easyJet. No ULCC option.
- Copenhagen. Big market; only Austrian and Lauda.
- Dubai DWC. Emirates monopoly (and flyDubai to BTS)
- Baku. No flights Vienna-Azerbaijan. Not sure about bilateral stuff.

So routes like Vienna-Tallinn are unlikely to be unsustainable with 3 carriers, but W6 could start a fare war and try to kick others out.

Blerg

Thu Aug 22, 2019 5:38 pm

SMKCosmopolitan wrote:
EIBPI wrote:
Bergen
Gdańsk
Malmo

Given the extremely low average fares especially for their flights to Tuzla and Malmö I'm not surprised. In my opinion, Nis is the next destination to be cancelled (extremely low average fares), while I could imagine that they'll use the released capacity on new routes.

Nis is a bit of a special case, fares are low because FR considerably trashed their fares on INI-BTS. On top of that, Air Serbia launched their own two weekly INI-SZG flights last month. All three operate out of the same airport into overlapping markets. I don't see Wizz Air pulling out because they would be doing a favor to FR and JU.

I see them expanding more and more into Western Europe where yields are much higher compared to the East. Maybe some more secondary German airports? I wonder if Dresden airport would give them a sweet deal to fly there.

EIBPI
Topic Author

Thu Aug 22, 2019 5:39 pm

[quote="SCQ83"][/quote]

Interesting suggestions. I am not sure I see Gatwick or Karlsruhe happening, but many others seem reasonable. I don't think they can get traffic rights for Vienna-Baku.

As for Odesa, they will be operating it from Bratislava presumably because of subsidies offered by Odesa to cities not already served.

Blerg

Thu Aug 22, 2019 5:42 pm

Would be cool if they would launch VIE-IST. TK currently has a monopoly so I wonder if they could pull that off. I think it would be easier fighting TK to IST than Pegasus to SAW.

EIBPI
Topic Author

Thu Aug 22, 2019 5:47 pm

Blerg wrote:
Would be cool if they would launch VIE-IST. TK currently has a monopoly so I wonder if they could pull that off. I think it would be easier fighting TK to IST than Pegasus to SAW.

Traffic rights would prevent a Vienna-Istanbul I believe. Wizz Air could only operate it from Budapest or from the UK (under their British AOC).

Blerg

Thu Aug 22, 2019 5:51 pm

EIBPI wrote:
Blerg wrote:

Traffic rights would prevent a Vienna-Istanbul I believe. Wizz Air could only operate it from Budapest or from the UK (under their British AOC).

I thought there was an Open Skies Agreement between the EU and Turkey? That's a shame then as there is a massive market to be served.

Someone83

Thu Aug 22, 2019 5:53 pm

SCQ83 wrote:

Level tried this, but with 3 carriers it was too much capacity and the route was cancelled

EIBPI
Topic Author

Thu Aug 22, 2019 6:01 pm

Blerg wrote:
EIBPI wrote:
Blerg wrote:

I thought there was an Open Skies Agreement between the EU and Turkey? That's a shame then as there is a massive market to be served.

It seems to be a never ending negotiation. I may be wrong but I am not aware of an EU carrier operating a route to Turkey from outside its home state.

EIBPI
Topic Author

Thu Aug 22, 2019 6:04 pm

Someone83 wrote:
SCQ83 wrote:

Level tried this, but with 3 carriers it was too much capacity and the route was cancelled

Level enjoyed zero brand recognition at either end. Wizz Air seem to have managed to build reasonably strong brand recognition in the wider Vienna catchment area (passengers coming from Hungary, Slovakia, the Czech Republic where the airline is a household name).

Blerg

Thu Aug 22, 2019 6:04 pm

EIBPI wrote:
Blerg wrote:
EIBPI wrote:

It seems to be a never ending negotiation. I may be wrong but I am not aware of an EU carrier operating a route to Turkey from outside its home state.

True even though these days it's more common for European airlines to be cutting flights to Istanbul than the other way around. I think the latest to downgrade their IST operations was KLM. That's why I thought that maybe LCCs have a chance there due to their low costs.

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos