Blerg

Re: Wizz Air News & Expansion

Fri Aug 30, 2019 6:36 am

SeanM1997 wrote:
Wizz Air will be not be returning to the London Luton to Verona route which had 2x weekly winter seasonal flights. These flights have been replaced by Castellon which have a subsidy on them.

From 23 November, Wizz Air will reduce its London Luton to Vilnius route from 7 to 5 weekly.The airline will launch 3 weekly London Southend to Vilnius flights on the date

Furthermore, in Winter 2019, Wizz Air will reduce its London Gatwick flights compared to S19. The route reductions are:

- Bucharest (from 7 to 6 weekly)
- Budapest (from 7 to 6 weekly flights)
- Cluj (from 7 to 5 weekly)
- Gdansk (from 7 to 6 weekly)

Are these LGW reductions happening because of SEN flights? I think they are also adding SEN-BUD if I am not mistaken.

SeanM1997

Fri Aug 30, 2019 6:46 am

Blerg wrote:
SeanM1997 wrote:
Wizz Air will be not be returning to the London Luton to Verona route which had 2x weekly winter seasonal flights. These flights have been replaced by Castellon which have a subsidy on them.

From 23 November, Wizz Air will reduce its London Luton to Vilnius route from 7 to 5 weekly.The airline will launch 3 weekly London Southend to Vilnius flights on the date

Furthermore, in Winter 2019, Wizz Air will reduce its London Gatwick flights compared to S19. The route reductions are:

Are these LGW reductions happening because of SEN flights? I think they are also adding SEN-BUD if I am not mistaken.

The LGW reductions are just due to the winter season and slot availability at LGW. Theres no SEN-BUD on Wizz Air either but maybe in the future

Southend has Bucharest, Sibiu and Vilnius

Blerg

Fri Aug 30, 2019 6:50 am

SeanM1997 wrote:
Blerg wrote:
SeanM1997 wrote:

The LGW reductions are just due to the winter season and slot availability at LGW. Theres no SEN-BUD on Wizz Air either but maybe in the future

Southend has Bucharest, Sibiu and Vilnius

My bad, I guess I confused it with Bucharest. That's the one that's getting flights from SEN.

SCQ83

Fri Aug 30, 2019 7:41 am

MCTSET wrote:
They are both expensive when comes to cost of operating particularly with few it is always more expensive, so I don’t think a base will be opened there, LTN opened after monarch collapse, a big market like Luton with cheap slots is irresistible, Vienna opened because of niki collapse and the subsidies, they wouldn’t step foot there if it wasn’t for that.

And BUD explosion was also because of MALEV's collapse. Probably the next W6's bases will be in places with potential bankrupt carriers in the future (e.g. LJU) or places where local carriers are weak (e.g. LCA).

Maybe if Thomas Cook goes under, some regional UK airports could be interesting for them. For instance BHX where W6 already flies quite a few routes to Eastern Europe.

SeanM1997

Fri Aug 30, 2019 8:48 am

Wizz Air will end its London Luton to Ljubljana flights on 25 October 2019. It means Ljubljana will lose Wizz Air (CRL also going)

SCQ83

Fri Aug 30, 2019 9:22 am

SeanM1997 wrote:
Wizz Air will end its London Luton to Ljubljana flights on 25 October 2019. It means Ljubljana will lose Wizz Air (CRL also going)

Is there any other EU country where Ryanair or/and Wizz Air are not present?

SeanM1997

Fri Aug 30, 2019 10:04 am

SCQ83 wrote:
SeanM1997 wrote:

No. Doesn't seem like it. Will have to see what happens with Adria to see if other airlines want to join the Slovenian market

PatrickZ80

Fri Aug 30, 2019 10:49 am

SCQ83 wrote:

There is, if you count the Faroe Islands as a country. Otherwise, every country with an airport is served by either Ryanair or Wizzair, mostly both. There are a few countries without airports (Andorra, San Marino, etc). Therefor, those counties aren't served on any airline.

leghorn

Fri Aug 30, 2019 11:17 am

BasilFawlty wrote:
Beauvais has a very strict night curfew, which is also the main reason why Ryanair hasn’t opened a base there so far.

http://www.leparisien.fr/oise-60/base-r ... 141586.php

factsonly

Fri Aug 30, 2019 12:36 pm

Today 30 August, Wizz Air UK flight W9 7791 routing PRN - LTN operated by A320 G-WUKF has diverted for medical reasons to AMS, a non-Wizzair station.

https://www.flightradar24.com/data/aircraft/g-wukf

SMKCosmopolitan

Sat Aug 31, 2019 4:17 pm

According to the link below, Wizz Air will cut selected frequencies from London Luton and additionally suspend six routes (Turku, Verona, Bari, Catania, Tallinn and Ljubljana). At this point it's still unclear whether some of those routes might be resumed next summer.

https://www.pasazer.com/news/42125/aktu ... trasy.html

Blerg

Sat Aug 31, 2019 7:16 pm

SMKCosmopolitan wrote:
According to the link below, Wizz Air will cut selected frequencies from London Luton and additionally suspend six routes (Turku, Verona, Bari, Catania, Tallinn and Ljubljana). At this point it's still unclear whether some of those routes might be resumed next summer.

Interesting, does anyone know if this capacity will be redirected elsewhere?

marcogr12

Sat Aug 31, 2019 11:00 pm

SMKCosmopolitan wrote:

There seems to be a pattern with the frequency cuts, from daily to 5w (ATH,BTS,PRG, OSL), from 4w to 2w or 3w (SVG,SKG or PRN,BGO) etc..Apart from the new routes they are starting, i think one other reason for the cuts ( i read it somewhere) was that Airbus has delayed delivering their Airbus a/c..The winter timetable has been revised so far twice, because these were not the original winter frequencies when i looked a week ago..Sure,there were the expected winter cuts,as the seasonal demand commands,but they chopped heavily this time around..
Flying is breathing..no planes no life..

rph99

Sat Aug 31, 2019 11:41 pm

Thoughts on where Wizz see’s success flying the a321xlr?

MCTSET

Sun Sep 01, 2019 12:19 am

rph99 wrote:

Rumours about deploying them from Kazakhstan :scratchchin:

Blerg

Sun Sep 01, 2019 5:10 am

MCTSET wrote:
rph99 wrote:

Rumours about deploying them from Kazakhstan :scratchchin:

Does the EU have an Open Skies agreement with Kazakhstan?

Blerg

Sun Sep 01, 2019 5:13 am

marcogr12 wrote:
SMKCosmopolitan wrote:

There seems to be a pattern with the frequency cuts, from daily to 5w (ATH,BTS,PRG, OSL), from 4w to 2w or 3w (SVG,SKG or PRN,BGO) etc..Apart from the new routes they are starting, i think one other reason for the cuts ( i read it somewhere) was that Airbus has delayed delivering their Airbus a/c..The winter timetable has been revised so far twice, because these were not the original winter frequencies when i looked a week ago..Sure,there were the expected winter cuts,as the seasonal demand commands,but they chopped heavily this time around..

How many Airbus aircraft were they supposed to get this year? I know we will never know but I wonder how big their losses are in Vienna. I understand it's a long-term game for them but then again their competition is Austrian Airlines (read Lufthansa) and Lauda (Ryanair). I don't think either one will give up that easily, let's see how long they keep this up.

marcogr12

Sun Sep 01, 2019 1:46 pm

Μy post was about Luton routes not VIE

Blerg

Sun Sep 01, 2019 2:41 pm

marcogr12 wrote:
Μy post was about Luton routes not VIE

I know, I mentioned VIE as a possible reason why they are forced to suspend unerperforming routes from other bases, especially Luton. I noticed in that link in Polish that many destinations in Poland will be reduced.

SCQ83

Sun Sep 01, 2019 2:58 pm

Maybe because of Brexit there will be less VFR traffic in the next few months.

Someone83

Tue Sep 03, 2019 11:55 am

Wizzair has just announced 4 new aircraft based in Poland and several new routes and increased capacity from GDN, WAW and KRK

https://wizzair.com/en-gb/information-a ... new-routes

MASSIVE GROWTH IN THE BIGGEST MARKET OF WIZZ AIR
WIZZ AIR EXPANDS IN KRAKOW, GDANSK AND WARSAW
4 BASED AIRCRAFT, 13 NEW ROUTES

Seems like a lot of the new capacity is between Poland and Norway

SCQ83

Tue Sep 03, 2019 2:42 pm

Is there any reason why they serve those secondary Norwegian airports only from the North (Gdansk) and South (Krakow) and not from Warsaw?

Is it because people from Warsaw migrate less to Norway or other developed countries? (which makes sense because of the "capital effect"?

terefere

Tue Sep 03, 2019 3:18 pm

SCQ83 wrote:
Is there any reason why they serve those secondary Norwegian airports only from the North (Gdansk) and South (Krakow) and not from Warsaw?

Is it because people from Warsaw migrate less to Norway or other developed countries? (which makes sense because of the "capital effect"?

My guess is that + Gdansk is definitely the no 1 tourist destination for Norwegians in PL, perhaps Krakow is quite popular too?

SCQ83

Tue Sep 03, 2019 3:33 pm

terefere wrote:
SCQ83 wrote:

My guess is that + Gdansk is definitely the no 1 tourist destination for Norwegians in PL, perhaps Krakow is quite popular too?

I reckon those flights are targeted primarily to Polish VFR in Norway; with whatever Norwegian city-breakers they can get to travel to Poland being a plus.

SMKCosmopolitan

Wed Sep 04, 2019 9:54 am

Someone83 wrote:
Wizzair has just announced 4 new aircraft based in Poland and several new routes and increased capacity from GDN, WAW and KRK

https://wizzair.com/en-gb/information-a ... new-routes

MASSIVE GROWTH IN THE BIGGEST MARKET OF WIZZ AIR
WIZZ AIR EXPANDS IN KRAKOW, GDANSK AND WARSAW
4 BASED AIRCRAFT, 13 NEW ROUTES

Seems like a lot of the new capacity is between Poland and Norway

With regards to the expansion towards Norway, W6 seems to go in for the kill of Norwegian Air Shuttle on those routes. The latter currently serves KRK-OSL/BGO/SVG/TRD and might retreat from those routes given their precarious financial situation. Let's see how this will play out!

Someone83

Wed Sep 04, 2019 10:05 am

SCQ83 wrote:
terefere wrote:
SCQ83 wrote:

I reckon those flights are targeted primarily to Polish VFR in Norway; with whatever Norwegian city-breakers they can get to travel to Poland being a plus.

Both Krakow and Gdansk are popular destinations for weekend trips for Norwegians, to a much more extent than Warsaw. My impression is also that most of the Poles working in Norway seems to come from other places in the country than the Warsaw area

SCQ83

Tue Sep 10, 2019 9:59 am

From W6's FB page. New airport for W6 (BRU) competing directly with LOT's new BUD-BRU. How convenient.

We are proudly announcing the allocation of another state-of-the-art Airbus A321neo aircraft at our base in Budapest and the start of three new services.
From the 1st of June, 2020 we'll start a new daily service to a new destination: Brussels Airport, the Belgian capital's main airport and from 1 and 3 June 2020, two Ukrainian services to Lviv, Western Ukraine’s central city, and Kharkiv, the second-largest city in the country.

marcogr12

Tue Sep 10, 2019 11:40 am

Τhey are doing what FR is doing...spreading operations between CRL and BRU, or in some cases duplicating. Isn t that against the LCC philosophy or do they hope to maximize profits on a higher yield route? (But is it really?)

SCQ83

Tue Sep 10, 2019 11:56 am

marcogr12 wrote:
Τhey are doing what FR is doing...spreading operations between CRL and BRU, or in some cases duplicating. Isn t that against the LCC philosophy or do they hope to maximize profits on a higher yield route? (But is it really?)

Their catchment area can be quite complementary, at least for major destinations. CRL is well suited for Southern Belgium (Wallonie) and Northern France (Lille). BRU is better suited for Southern Netherlands and Northern Belgium (Antwerpen/Flanders). A relatively similar comparison is BGY/MXP (although MXP is much further to Milan than BRU to Brussels).

artflyer

Tue Sep 10, 2019 3:12 pm

I am wondering if W6's BUD-BRU route can appeal to Hungarian/UE officials that probably constitute good part of the pax on this route, given the lcc facilities in BUD and the fact LO offers two daily. Actually W6 did in the past compete with LO on WAW-BRU route and dropped that route.

marcogr12

Tue Sep 10, 2019 3:22 pm

Wouldn't EU officials opt for a full-service carrier like LOT instead of an LCC?

EIBPI
Topic Author

Tue Sep 10, 2019 3:58 pm

marcogr12 wrote:
Wouldn't EU officials opt for a full-service carrier like LOT instead of an LCC?

Why would they?

Blerg

Tue Sep 10, 2019 4:01 pm

This BUD-BRU by Wizz Air is extremely interesting. I'm curious to see what becomes of it. LO does have a good plane and a fantastic schedule. I fear SN Brussels might be the biggest loser in this round.

Blerg

Tue Sep 10, 2019 4:04 pm

EIBPI wrote:
marcogr12 wrote:

Why would they?

Why wouldn't they? Cypriot EU officials fly on Aegean via ATH despite there being a non-stop flight by FR from BRU.

EIBPI
Topic Author

Tue Sep 10, 2019 4:56 pm

Officials in almost all of the main international organisations in Brussels are strictly limited to the cheapest convenient option in economy for short/medium haul flight. There is no preference to flag carriers, full service offerings, etc.
Last edited by EIBPI on Tue Sep 10, 2019 4:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.

EIBPI
Topic Author

Tue Sep 10, 2019 4:57 pm

Blerg wrote:
EIBPI wrote:
marcogr12 wrote:

Why would they?

Why wouldn't they? Cypriot EU officials fly on Aegean via ATH despite there being a non-stop flight by FR from BRU.

What is a Cypriot EU official: A Cypriot national working to represent Cyprus in Brussels (in a delegation for example) or a Cypriot national working in the EU Institutional system?

artflyer

Tue Sep 10, 2019 5:44 pm

EIBPI wrote:
Officials in almost all of the main international organisations in Brussels are strictly limited to the cheapest convenient option in economy for short/medium haul flight. There is no preference to flag carriers, full service offerings, etc.

Probably "convenient" is the key word here:)

Blerg

Tue Sep 10, 2019 6:58 pm

EIBPI wrote:
Blerg wrote:
EIBPI wrote:

Why would they?

What is a Cypriot EU official: A Cypriot national working to represent Cyprus in Brussels (in a delegation for example) or a Cypriot national working in the EU Institutional system?

Diplomats and government officials. Even EU officials in Cyprus (Commission and Parliament) fly with Aegean via Athens, they have some sort of a corporate agreement with them.

Blerg

Tue Sep 10, 2019 7:01 pm

Wizz Air will be at a relative disadvantage here because they will not have a morning BUD-BRU flight.

BUD-BRU 18.50-20.55
BRU-BUD 21.40-23.55

Like I said, when it comes to business travellers, politicians and bureaucrats, a flexible timetable is key. That's something both LO and SN offer. Will be interesting to see how things turn out in the end.

PatrickZ80

Tue Sep 10, 2019 7:10 pm

Blerg wrote:
Wizz Air will be at a relative disadvantage here because they will not have a morning BUD-BRU flight.

BUD-BRU 18.50-20.55
BRU-BUD 21.40-23.55

Like I said, when it comes to business travellers, politicians and bureaucrats, a flexible timetable is key. That's something both LO and SN offer. Will be interesting to see how things turn out in the end.

Wizzair is aiming at a whole other kind of customer than LOT and Brussels Airlines, so they won't bite each other. The Wizzair customer is the one going for the cheapest flight, regardless of flight times. Those business travelers, politicians and bureaucrats won't fly Wizzair, but there are plenty of people that would.

However what surprises me is their choice for Brussels Zaventem. So far they've always used Charleroi as their Brussels airport, including flights to Budapest. Could they be competing against themselves on this route?

artflyer

Tue Sep 10, 2019 7:30 pm

Blerg wrote:
This BUD-BRU by Wizz Air is extremely interesting. I'm curious to see what becomes of it. LO does have a good plane and a fantastic schedule. I fear SN Brussels might be the biggest loser in this round.

I think both SN and LO will stay. The market from BUD is enough for 5 daily. There are easily 5 daily flights from PRG or WAW to BRU.

I would also expect LO has a corporate contract with the Hungarian government (a strategic agreement mentioned above by one of the posters).

EIBPI
Topic Author

Tue Sep 10, 2019 7:31 pm

Blerg wrote:
Diplomats and government officials. Even EU officials in Cyprus (Commission and Parliament) fly with Aegean via Athens, they have some sort of a corporate agreement with them.

What staff does the Commission and Parliament have in Cyprus?

klakzky123

Tue Sep 10, 2019 7:37 pm

EIBPI wrote:
Blerg wrote:

There isn't much. There's a small office in Nicosia and I imagine that most people at the office don't travel. I would think that most of the travel consists of a few leaders in the office and the actual MEPs and Commissioner from Cyprus when they travel to Strasbourg and Brussels for sessions of the European Parliament and EU Commission meetings.

SCQ83

Tue Sep 10, 2019 7:38 pm

It seems they are cutting flights on CRL-BUD. Before BUD-BRU starts in June 2020, W6 flies 11 weekly to CRL with a mix of morning and evening departures. After they start, they are moving to 1 daily also with a morning departure. The timing makes sense; it complements well CRL's flights:

BUD-CRL 06:55-08:10
CRL-BUD 08.55-10.50

As for CRL VS BRU, Ryanair flies quite a few routes from both airports. Alicante, Barcelona, Dublin, Girona, Krakow, Lisbon, Madrid, Málaga, Marrakech, Palma de Mallorca, Pisa, Porto, Sevilla and Valencia are flown from both. They also fly CRL-BGY/BRU-MXP and CRL-CIA/BRU-FCO.

BUD is or it used to be Charleroi's busiest route. FR is 9 weekly. So it makes sense for them to duplicate it (specially considering BUD is W6's largest base). Otherwise there would be a risk that Ryanair would start itself BUD-BRU (there is still a risk they open it too :) ).

artflyer

Tue Sep 10, 2019 7:44 pm

PatrickZ80 wrote:
Blerg wrote:

BUD-BRU 18.50-20.55
BRU-BUD 21.40-23.55

Wizzair is aiming at a whole other kind of customer than LOT and Brussels Airlines, so they won't bite each other. The Wizzair customer is the one going for the cheapest flight, regardless of flight times. Those business travelers, politicians and bureaucrats won't fly Wizzair, but there are plenty of people that would.

However what surprises me is their choice for Brussels Zaventem. So far they've always used Charleroi as their Brussels airport, including flights to Budapest. Could they be competing against themselves on this route?

I think it is just because W6 is unhappy with LO presence in BUD. There were already some malicious comments about that from W6 before and now this. Still it seems to miss the target, because of the clientele targeted by LO and SN. So no dumping of fares or capacity will help W6.

And probably most of the other passengers (the fares on SN and LO will be high enough to push many into the hands of W6 and FR) are already well served via CRL.

Blerg

Tue Sep 10, 2019 7:58 pm

EIBPI wrote:
Blerg wrote:

The have both offices in Cyprus, I think around 30 people or so. There is a lot of travel each month, mostly for meetings but they also bring MEPs, speakers, NGO activities... from Brussels for training in Cyprus. For example a lot of ecology experts have been going to Cyprus to help them out with recycling.

By the way, Cypriot ministry of foreign affairs also has a deal with Aegean.

BasilFawlty

Tue Sep 10, 2019 9:24 pm

Blerg wrote:

If that’s true then what’s the purpose of Ryanair flying BRU-LCA-BRU? As that’s a PSO route.
'Every year donkeys and mules kill more people than plane crashes'

SCQ83

Tue Sep 10, 2019 9:37 pm

artflyer wrote:
I think both SN and LO will stay. The market from BUD is enough for 5 daily. There are easily 5 daily flights from PRG or WAW to BRU.

I would also expect LO has a corporate contract with the Hungarian government (a strategic agreement mentioned above by one of the posters).

Prague has less low-cost competition. Only Ryanair on CRL-BUD. And Czech Airlines (while today a niche market) can connect passengers from BRU to other destinations.

Warsaw is a larger market (though less touristic) and WAW a Star Alliance hub. Poland has x4 times the population of Czechia/Hungary which means (in the proportional EU terms) a few times more people travelling back and forth to Brussels for EU-related stuff. Polish are also the largest Eastern European VFR community in Belgium; about 100k people: https://www.myria.be/files/MIGRA2018_NL_H2.pdf

Budapest might work for everybody but with the existing carriers there is a much more relevant low-cost competition and only actual connections on the BRU side.

marcogr12

Tue Sep 10, 2019 9:40 pm

SCQ83 wrote:
marcogr12 wrote:

Their catchment area can be quite complementary, at least for major destinations. CRL is well suited for Southern Belgium (Wallonie) and Northern France (Lille). BRU is better suited for Southern Netherlands and Northern Belgium (Antwerpen/Flanders). A relatively similar comparison is BGY/MXP (although MXP is much further to Milan than BRU to Brussels).

You could be right although southern Netherlands has EIN with an extensive network by FR,HV and W6...Still though, BRU with W6 would be convenient for many pax who might not be able to afford SN and LO...Generally flights to BRU tend to be expensive and full..I know they are from ATH which has a lot of traffic and even with 3 dailies in summer you cant find anything affordable..I think FR is the only LCC based in BRU so far

Blerg

Wed Sep 11, 2019 7:50 am

BasilFawlty wrote:
Blerg wrote:

If that’s true then what’s the purpose of Ryanair flying BRU-LCA-BRU? As that’s a PSO route.

Probably to bring even more tourists to Cyprus.

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos