HongMeng
Topic Author

Ryanair pilots' strike. Flights take off

Thu Aug 22, 2019 2:40 pm

Ryanair flights in and out of UK airports took off as normal this morning despite strikes by pilots, the airline has said.Thousands of passengers were braced for disruption ahead of a 48-hour walkout over pay and conditions.However, the airline said 97% of flights took off on time on Thursday morning, blaming the few delays on air traffic control.

https://www.bbc.com/news/business-49432317
I need $150/year for my website's hosting Email: [email protected] gmail.com or [email protected] hotmail.com

FCOTSTW

Re: Ryanair pilots' strike. Flights take off

Thu Aug 22, 2019 5:04 pm

What a smash for the pilots! Zero contractual leverage!

f4f3a

Thu Aug 22, 2019 5:05 pm

They have either paid people to come in on days off or other parts of the network have been affected during strike to avoid media attention . It must have cost them one way or another .

THS214

Thu Aug 22, 2019 5:21 pm

f4f3a wrote:
They have either paid people to come in on days off or other parts of the network have been affected during strike to avoid media attention . It must have cost them one way or another .

“Thanks to the great work and volunteerism of the vast majority of our UK-based pilots, Ryanair now expects to run its full schedule of flights to/from our UK airports.” https://www.independent.co.uk/travel/ne ... 73626.html

"it has the support of less than 30% of Ryanair’s UK pilots" https://corporate.ryanair.com/news/stri ... ir-pilots/

So not 30% of Ryanair UK BALPA pilots but 30% of all Ryanair UK pilots. A longer strike would definitely have a huge disruption for Ryanair UK flights.

THS214

Thu Aug 22, 2019 5:22 pm

f4f3a wrote:

“Thanks to the great work and volunteerism of the vast majority of our UK-based pilots, Ryanair now expects to run its full schedule of flights to/from our UK airports.” https://www.independent.co.uk/travel/ne ... 73626.html

"it has the support of less than 30% of Ryanair’s UK pilots" https://corporate.ryanair.com/news/stri ... ir-pilots/

So not 30% of Ryanair UK BALPA pilots but 30% of all Ryanair UK pilots. A longer strike would definitely have a huge disruption for Ryanair UK flights.

WayexTDI

Thu Aug 22, 2019 5:32 pm

f4f3a wrote:

Or, most pilots do not support the strike, despite what the pilot union said.

barney captain

Thu Aug 22, 2019 5:36 pm

"The airline said it had drafted in pilots from elsewhere in Europe to fill in during strike action."

Yea, there's a term for those types of "individuals".
Southeast Of Disorder

f4f3a

Thu Aug 22, 2019 5:37 pm

Well according to Ryanair pilots are demanding 400k a year which is total boll#%. So take what they say with a pinch of salt . Also you can volunteer to work days of and still get paid . Much cheaper to bribe people to work and is much cheaper than cancelling flights paying eu261 . I don’t think they did it for free .

WayexTDI

Thu Aug 22, 2019 5:37 pm

THS214 wrote:
f4f3a wrote:

So, only 30% of Ryanair UK pilots?
From memory, 70% of BALPA-represented pilots voted, and 80% voted for the strike; 56% of BALPA-represented pilots voted for the strike.
And that represents only 30% of Ryanair UK pilots, meaning that BALPA represents only 53-54% of Ryanair UK pilots (53.6% * 70% * 80% = 30%). Barely a majority of Ryanair UK pilots. Good to know.

WayexTDI

Thu Aug 22, 2019 5:38 pm

barney captain wrote:
"The airline said it had drafted in pilots from elsewhere in Europe to fill in during strike action."

Yep, it's called "people who want to work and not strike"; is that prohibited???

barney captain

Thu Aug 22, 2019 5:45 pm

WayexTDI wrote:
barney captain wrote:

Yep, it's called "people who want to work and not strike"; is that prohibited???

"People who won't support their Union Brothers and Sisters - but will happily benefit from their sacrifices"

There, fixed it for you.
Southeast Of Disorder

WayexTDI

Thu Aug 22, 2019 5:47 pm

barney captain wrote:
WayexTDI wrote:
barney captain wrote:

"People who won't support their Union Brothers and Sisters - but will happily benefit from their sacrifices"

There, fixed it for you.

"People who don't want to be racketed by the union goons and refuse to fatten the unions leaders".

There, fixed it for you.

barney captain

Thu Aug 22, 2019 5:52 pm

WayexTDI wrote:
barney captain wrote:
WayexTDI wrote:

There, fixed it for you.

"People who don't want to be racketed by the union goons and refuse to fatten the unions leaders".

There, fixed it for you.

Do you have any experience with airline contract negotiations? Because that hardly defines the process.
Southeast Of Disorder

DiamondFlyer

Thu Aug 22, 2019 5:58 pm

WayexTDI wrote:
barney captain wrote:

No, but when they end up on a scab list for the rest of their life, they made the decision to do so.
From my cold, dead hands

WayexTDI

Thu Aug 22, 2019 6:09 pm

barney captain wrote:
WayexTDI wrote:
barney captain wrote:

There, fixed it for you.

There, fixed it for you.

Do you have any experience with airline contract negotiations? Because that hardly defines the process.

No. But I see how the unions hold hostage the consumers and I believe they've outlived their usefulness.

zuckie13

Thu Aug 22, 2019 6:18 pm

barney captain wrote:
WayexTDI wrote:
barney captain wrote:

There, fixed it for you.

Hate to point out the obvious, but the pilots working are NOT in the Union to begin with. More like they're happy to benefit from the fraction of pilots who are and decided to strike.

zuckie13

Thu Aug 22, 2019 6:22 pm

I should point out this was obviously what was going to happen. As strike of only a portion of the workers that is only 48 hours long. It was always going to be easy tor Ryanair to schedule pilots around this.

Since I have no understanding of UK law regarding with strikes, I have no idea if/how they could do more to make this more effective, but having only half the pilots in the Union to begin with will always make things hard.

THS214

Thu Aug 22, 2019 6:31 pm

WayexTDI wrote:
barney captain wrote:
WayexTDI wrote:

There, fixed it for you.

No. But I see how the unions hold hostage the consumers and I believe they've outlived their usefulness.

Would you work for peanuts? Bad working conditions? etc. Because that's what ultimately will happen for most of the people if there is no unions. Company representatives and union working together is the best solution.

One can say that its the company that is holding consumers hostage. Both sides can give up.

And to make it clear, I don't know is this strike OK or not.

n6238p

Thu Aug 22, 2019 8:34 pm

“I love airplanes and airlines but F the people that work for them, be happy you have a job.”

That’s what I’m seeing here.
To actively root against anybody is just low, and I hope karma comes back at you with a vengeance

zuckie13

Thu Aug 22, 2019 8:40 pm

I love airplanes, but hate how the union bargaining process has become so adversarial that instead of working together to make a win for everybody it instead turns in to an "its all about me" mentality by both sides that leads to one side or the other saying it's my way or I strike/lockout.

I don't have a problem with the concept of a union, I have a problem that the unions usually want things to the detriment of the company, AND the company usually wants things to the detriment of the workers.

It would be more profitable to sit down, actually hash out something that keeps workers able to live a decent quality of life, while ensuring the company is not choked from being able to expand and compete (so it can grow and keep everyone employed for a long time).

WayexTDI

Thu Aug 22, 2019 8:59 pm

zuckie13 wrote:
I love airplanes, but hate how the union bargaining process has become so adversarial that instead of working together to make a win for everybody it instead turns in to an "its all about me" mentality by both sides that leads to one side or the other saying it's my way or I strike/lockout.

I don't have a problem with the concept of a union, I have a problem that the unions usually want things to the detriment of the company, AND the company usually wants things to the detriment of the workers.

It would be more profitable to sit down, actually hash out something that keeps workers able to live a decent quality of life, while ensuring the company is not choked from being able to expand and compete (so it can grow and keep everyone employed for a long time).

You mean, like a certain US major airline does and that a.net loves to hate?

barney captain

Thu Aug 22, 2019 11:12 pm

WayexTDI wrote:
zuckie13 wrote:

Which airline is that?
Southeast Of Disorder

Salukipilot

Fri Aug 23, 2019 12:21 am

n6238p wrote:
“I love airplanes and airlines but F the people that work for them, be happy you have a job.”

That’s what I’m seeing here.

I mean what did you expect? This is A.net after all fellow Saluki bro.
Frontier Pilot

AtomicGarden

Fri Aug 23, 2019 12:26 am

barney captain wrote:
WayexTDI wrote:
zuckie13 wrote:

Which airline is that?

DL I believe.

I agree 100% with zuckie13. Been there too many times (on the wrong side of the strike). But probably too idealistic.
You killed a black astronaut, Cyril! That's like killing a unicorn!

WayexTDI

Fri Aug 23, 2019 1:11 am

AtomicGarden wrote:
barney captain wrote:
WayexTDI wrote:

Which airline is that?

DL I believe.

I agree 100% with zuckie13. Been there too many times (on the wrong side of the strike). But probably too idealistic.

Yes, I meant DL.

The pro-unions guys on here keep ranting that DL is barely unionized; yet, their employees are happy to work there and DL knows how to entertain that fine balance between not giving too much to the employees (so the shareholders are happy) and giving enough to the employees (so they don't try to bring unions in).

barney captain

Fri Aug 23, 2019 6:24 am

WayexTDI wrote:
AtomicGarden wrote:
barney captain wrote:

Which airline is that?

DL I believe.

Yes, I meant DL.

The pro-unions guys on here keep ranting that DL is barely unionized; yet, their employees are happy to work there and DL knows how to entertain that fine balance between not giving too much to the employees (so the shareholders are happy) and giving enough to the employees (so they don't try to bring unions in).

It didn't matter which airline you were referring to, the results would have been the same. You have just demonstrated your complete ignorance on the matter.

From 2006 -

https://money.cnn.com/2006/04/04/news/c ... /index.htm "Delta pilots authorize strike"

From 2001 -

https://money.cnn.com/2001/02/12/compan ... /index.htm "Delta pilots OK strike"

And this was just the pilots, other work groups were also equally affected. Ask the DL pilots of the era how they feel about losing their entire "guaranteed" retirement after a lifetime of service. Walking across a strike line in this (and many other) cases is tacit approval for corporate rape.

Your short-term myopic observations only serve to highlight your misconceptions.

Just two examples out of dozens and dozens. And you wonder why we feel strongly about this?

Go read "Hard Landings" and get back to us.
Southeast Of Disorder

HongMeng
Topic Author

Fri Aug 23, 2019 6:36 am

barney captain wrote:
"People who won't support their Union Brothers and Sisters - but will happily benefit from their sacrifices" There, fixed it for you.

Bad days for aviation industry
I need $150/year for my website's hosting Email: [email protected] gmail.com or [email protected] hotmail.com

WayexTDI

Fri Aug 23, 2019 12:00 pm

barney captain wrote:
WayexTDI wrote:
AtomicGarden wrote:

DL I believe.

Yes, I meant DL.

It didn't matter which airline you were referring to, the results would have been the same. You have just demonstrated your complete ignorance on the matter.

From 2006 -

https://money.cnn.com/2006/04/04/news/c ... /index.htm "Delta pilots authorize strike"

From 2001 -

https://money.cnn.com/2001/02/12/compan ... /index.htm "Delta pilots OK strike"

And this was just the pilots, other work groups were also equally affected. Ask the DL pilots of the era how they feel about losing their entire "guaranteed" retirement after a lifetime of service. Walking across a strike line in this (and many other) cases is tacit approval for corporate rape.

Your short-term myopic observations only serve to highlight your misconceptions.

Just two examples out of dozens and dozens. And you wonder why we feel strongly about this?

Go read "Hard Landings" and get back to us.

2006 => 13 years ago, and DL (like other US airlines) was heavily suffering from the aftermath of 9/11.
2001 => 18 years ago.
Do you have any info from the 1940's???

We're talking 2019, not ancient history.
Since 2006, DL has merged with NW, has seen dramatic restructuring and changes in management.

TODAY, DL remains largely non-unionized and DL employees are largely happy.

By the way, no need for personal attacks.

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos