Moderators: jsumali2, richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

vadodara

Re: Indian Aviation Thread - October 2019

Tue Oct 22, 2019 7:12 pm

hohd wrote:
vadodara wrote:
VTORD wrote:
[

Yes, one could add a few connecting passengers out of DEL/BOM to say an Indore or Vadodara. In reality, a 1-stop on EK or QR will be a much better choice.

EK or QR cannot fly to Indore or Vadodara, although they hope to but GOI will not allow that for now. So for many secondary Indian cities, connecting through BOM or DEL (or even BLR, HYD or MAA) is the only option.

Perhaps not!

Just look at AMd’s #’s. Evidently lots of people are landing at AMD and making it to their final destination.

sibibom

Wed Oct 23, 2019 8:17 am

SpiceJet to open its first international hub in UAE

Read more at:
https://economictimes.indiatimes.com/in ... aign=cppst

Looks like a scissor hub like Jet Airways.

edealinfo

Wed Oct 23, 2019 12:53 pm

sibibom wrote:

Read more at:

So, is this hub at Ras al Kaimah??? (Because it won’t compete with Emirates?)
and, does the bilateral even allow for it whether it is RaK or Dubai? As far as I understand 5th freedom and hub was only allowed for Abu Dhabi (and maybe for Dubai World Central (but not DXB). have the bilaterals changed with ApiceJet in partnership with Emirates?

VTCIE

Wed Oct 23, 2019 1:22 pm

edealinfo wrote:
sibibom wrote:

Read more at:

So, is this hub at Ras al Kaimah??? (Because it won’t compete with Emirates?)
and, does the bilateral even allow for it whether it is RaK or Dubai? As far as I understand 5th freedom and hub was only allowed for Abu Dhabi (and maybe for Dubai World Central (but not DXB). have the bilaterals changed with ApiceJet in partnership with Emirates?

There is a separate thread for this. viewtopic.php?t=1433651

VTCIE wrote:
What of the partnership between SG and EK? What happens to that? That said, Ras al-Khaimah will finally be able to get a proper airline of its own to keep up with the big three emirates, after the failure of RAK Airways in 2013. Also, RKT Airport lost a lot of commercial service when QR pulled out due to the Gulf blockade.

vadodara

Wed Oct 23, 2019 4:36 pm

I think the bilateral are with each individual emirate, i.e. Dubai, Abu Dhabi, Sharjah and so forth.

DXB and Dubai World will both fall under the Emirate of Dubai.

unnayan

Wed Oct 23, 2019 5:21 pm

Losses mount for both Air Asia and Vistara, both are 51% owned by Tata

https://www.thehindubusinessline.com/ec ... 70456.ece#

The losses are a huge fraction of income, about a quarter. This isn't justified in this market.

Lightsaber

edealinfo

Wed Oct 23, 2019 8:27 pm

vadodara wrote:

While India might make gains flexing its muscles on trade, I don’t think it will have much impact on tourism. I mean do you actually think India cares about its tourists in other countries? How many Indians are languishing on foreign soil in dire economic straits and other conditions.....does India ever throw a lifeline? So, their warning to touristS to take utmost caution when travelling to Turkey runs hollow. India is much better off downgrading business and trade with Turkey.

vadodara

Wed Oct 23, 2019 10:11 pm

edealinfo wrote:
vadodara wrote:

While India might make gains flexing its muscles on trade, I don’t think it will have much impact on tourism. I mean do you actually think India cares about its tourists in other countries? How many Indians are languishing on foreign soil in dire economic straits and other conditions.....does India ever throw a lifeline? So, their warning to touristS to take utmost caution when travelling to Turkey runs hollow. India is much better off downgrading business and trade with Turkey.

2 different topics. If you compare the size of India's Foreign Mission, it is puny for the country of its size. When resources are constrained, it is hard to offer any meaningful services.

On the other hand, the size of India's outbound tourist flow is increasing. Actually very much in Turkey's favor. Putting out some warning's like these may not help Turkey's cause which can use any foreign $'s that might come their way.

edealinfo

Wed Oct 23, 2019 10:42 pm

vadodara wrote:
edealinfo wrote:
vadodara wrote:

2 different topics. If you compare the size of India's Foreign Mission, it is puny for the country of its size. When resources are constrained, it is hard to offer any meaningful services.

On the other hand, the size of India's outbound tourist flow is increasing. Actually very much in Turkey's favor. Putting out some warning's like these may not help Turkey's cause which can use any foreign $'s that might come their way.

And what I am saying is that no INdian who wants to visit Turkey will change his or her mind just because the Indian Government tells them to exercise extreme caution only because Turkey called for India to back off on Kash. There is a proliferation of news channels in India and everyone knows this “caution” advisory is purely political for purposes of theatre and is a grandstanding stance

VTORD

Wed Oct 23, 2019 10:58 pm

edealinfo wrote:
I mean do you actually think India cares about its tourists in other countries? How many Indians are languishing on foreign soil in dire economic straits and other conditions.....does India ever throw a lifeline?

What makes you think it doesn't? And define "languishing on foreign soil in dire economic straits and other conditions". Are you referring to tourists or immigrant workers?
India actually has a stellar record of evacuating it's citizens especially when it comes to events like war/conflict zones. Irrespective of the government in power. I recommend reading up on Operation Raahat, Operation Sukoon and Operation Safe Homecoming or the 1990 airlift out of Jordan.

unrave

Thu Oct 24, 2019 12:14 am

edealinfo wrote:

And what I am saying is that no INdian who wants to visit Turkey will change his or her mind just because the Indian Government tells them to exercise extreme caution only because Turkey called for India to back off on Kash. There is a proliferation of news channels in India and everyone knows this “caution” advisory is purely political for purposes of theatre and is a grandstanding stance

That's a pretty tall claim. People do pay attention to govt travel advisories

CaliguyNYC

Thu Oct 24, 2019 12:39 am

edealinfo wrote:
vadodara wrote:
edealinfo wrote:

Really? The indian news channels are taking the side of India and the GOI wrt Turkey. Will some Indians still travel there, sure. Will many cancel because of Kashmir, hell yeah (who cares if it is personal politics or the “warning”). Turkey is not India’s friend. Kudos to those that refuse to spend money in Turkey and Kudos to India to not stop Indians that still want to spend money in Turkey. This is called a free f’in society. Now Malaysia, India can really make a point. Aside from Kashmir they have a totally bigoted policy against their indian citizens. Times need to change. Buckle up

anshabhi

Thu Oct 24, 2019 1:06 pm

Good to see sensibility coming back to India - an opposition is rising in many states, and reckless expansion is biting the airlines.

hohd

Thu Oct 24, 2019 1:19 pm

India can restrict further code shares of Indigo with Turkish, may they can reverse what already has been approved. I don't see any benefit in granting code shares to Turkish airlines and also behind the scenes they can send warnings to Indigo to restrict its dealings with Turkish airlines.

unnayan

Thu Oct 24, 2019 2:00 pm

Indigo reports Q2 losses... Even with vaccum created by Jet's demise

https://economictimes.indiatimes.com/ma ... 740622.cms

sibibom

Thu Oct 24, 2019 3:06 pm

unnayan wrote:

Expanding so quickly isn't going according to plan clearly. I hope they pause and return to profitability before more International expansion.

NeBaNi

Thu Oct 24, 2019 5:28 pm

unnayan wrote:

The losses are a huge fraction of income, about a quarter. This isn't justified in this market.

Lightsaber

Very curious as to why you signed your post as Lightsaber.

CaliguyNYC

Thu Oct 24, 2019 5:44 pm

unnayan wrote:

This is bad. If airlines in India cannot make money post Jet, something is seriously wrong.

aarbee

Thu Oct 24, 2019 6:01 pm

VTORD wrote:
edealinfo wrote:
I mean do you actually think India cares about its tourists in other countries? How many Indians are languishing on foreign soil in dire economic straits and other conditions.....does India ever throw a lifeline?

What makes you think it doesn't? And define "languishing on foreign soil in dire economic straits and other conditions". Are you referring to tourists or immigrant workers?
India actually has a stellar record of evacuating it's citizens especially when it comes to events like war/conflict zones. Irrespective of the government in power. I recommend reading up on Operation Raahat, Operation Sukoon and Operation Safe Homecoming or the 1990 airlift out of Jordan.

Exactly .

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Operation_Raahat
" More than 4640 Indian citizens in Yemen were evacuated along with 960 foreign nationals of 41 countries"

aarbee

Thu Oct 24, 2019 6:05 pm

CaliguyNYC wrote:
edealinfo wrote:
vadodara wrote:

Really? The indian news channels are taking the side of India and the GOI wrt Turkey. Will some Indians still travel there, sure. Will many cancel because of Kashmir, hell yeah (who cares if it is personal politics or the “warning”). Turkey is not India’s friend. Kudos to those that refuse to spend money in Turkey and Kudos to India to not stop Indians that still want to spend money in Turkey. This is called a free f’in society. Now Malaysia, India can really make a point. Aside from Kashmir they have a totally bigoted policy against their indian citizens. Times need to change. Buckle up

So aptly put.

unnayan

Thu Oct 24, 2019 6:39 pm

NeBaNi wrote:
unnayan wrote:

Lightsaber

Very curious as to why you signed your post as Lightsaber.

I was shocked at seeing this too.. it has to be one of those software bugs in the site because the 2nd line was never typed by me

CollegeAviator

Thu Oct 24, 2019 6:40 pm

From Twitter, here are the ex-9W airplanes that have been reconfigured to be single class, all economy in SpiceJet's fleet
VT-SYL B737-900 ex VT-JGC
VT-SYO B737-700 ex VT-SIZ
VT-SYP B737-700 ex VT-SJA
VT-SYA B737-800 ex VT-JGR
VT-SYB B737-800 ex VT-JGS
VT-SYC B737-800 ex VT-JBF
VT-SYD B737-800 ex VT-JBD
VT-SYI B737-800 ex VT-JLE
VT-SYJ B737-800 ex VT-JLF
VT-SYZ B737-800 ex VT-JGV
VT-SXA B737-800 ex VT-JGW
VT-SXB B737-800 ex VT-SJI
VT-SXC B737-800 ex VT-SJJ

It also looks like SpiceBiz is slowly being phased out - the 12J is being used as SpiceMax

airboss787

Thu Oct 24, 2019 7:11 pm

CollegeAviator wrote:
From Twitter, here are the ex-9W airplanes that have been reconfigured to be single class, all economy in SpiceJet's fleet

It also looks like SpiceBiz is slowly being phased out - the 12J is being used as SpiceMax

Are these also the planes that have been painted? Or is that not correlated?

edealinfo

Thu Oct 24, 2019 9:25 pm

sibibom wrote:
unnayan wrote:

Expanding so quickly isn't going according to plan clearly. I hope they pause and return to profitability before more International expansion.

A good chuck of those losses had to do with "mark to market".

edealinfo

Thu Oct 24, 2019 9:25 pm

hohd wrote:
India can restrict further code shares of Indigo with Turkish, may they can reverse what already has been approved. I don't see any benefit in granting code shares to Turkish airlines and also behind the scenes they can send warnings to Indigo to restrict its dealings with Turkish airlines.

And that would hurt Indigo more than it does Turkish.

edealinfo

Thu Oct 24, 2019 9:41 pm

India, UAE set to discuss bilateral air traffic rights
"Sources said there will be deliberations on re-designation of flights"

How does one intrerpret the above phrase?

I think 2 things can happen out of these talks:

a) The talks will only focus on "re-designation": Basically, the UAE rights will be considered as a nation as a whole, and not individual emirates. India gains because Indian airlines will use the underutilized AUH seats to fly to DXB, and to the extent that the individual emirates have not used their seats, they can freely allocate it among their carriers.

b) Rights will be increased to DXB. If so, Ajay Singh's influence is on display.

I hope it will be "a". If so, India would have the advantage. But, I already thought AUH didn't want to allocate its rights to any other emirate, and why should it agree especially after it lost a load of money on Jet.

By the way, with option "a" above, technically "Air Arabia Abu Dhabi" will no longer be needed as Air Arabia could, (using AUH's quota), fly additional seats/flights to India from Sharjah instead of AUH.

http://www.newindianexpress.com/nation/ ... 51679.html

https://www.arabianbusiness.com/transpo ... fic-rights

edealinfo

Thu Oct 24, 2019 9:49 pm

https://www.livemint.com/companies/news ... 88645.html

AirAsia India to increase fleet size from 23 to 29 by year-end; 2 aircraft will come withing the next 2 weeks which means an addition 4 will come from then until the end of the year.

Surprisingly a BLR based airline doesn't fly to sister city Mangalore. Why?

Blerg

Fri Oct 25, 2019 5:49 am

From the Turkish Aviation thread, TK has been granted cargo flight rights for Ahmadabad. I guess the Pakistani issue isn't as big as some have presented it on here. I am sure Turks are working on more rights for passenger flights.

CollegeAviator

Fri Oct 25, 2019 6:21 am

Vistara announce their 3rd international destination out of Mumbai, and the 4th overall - to Colombo, Sri Lanka!

Airbus A320

UK131 BOM CMB 1100 1325 x3
UK132 CMB BOM 1425 1700 x3
Last edited by CollegeAviator on Fri Oct 25, 2019 6:25 am, edited 1 time in total.

CollegeAviator

Fri Oct 25, 2019 6:21 am

airboss787 wrote:
CollegeAviator wrote:

Are these also the planes that have been painted? Or is that not correlated?

I do not believe there is a correlation as far as I know: VT-SYE/V have not been reconfigured but it is in full SG colors..

Vimanav

Fri Oct 25, 2019 1:34 pm

edealinfo wrote:

Ultimately as expected nothing happened. I fail to understand why this exercise in futility is conducted every 53 weeks.

rgds//Vimanav

Vimanav

Fri Oct 25, 2019 1:37 pm

Blerg wrote:
From the Turkish Aviation thread, TK has been granted cargo flight rights for Ahmadabad. I guess the Pakistani issue isn't as big as some have presented it on here. I am sure Turks are working on more rights for passenger flights.

For decades India has had an open sky policy with regard to cargo. So do not read much into TK getting rights to AMD.

As far as pax flight traffic rights are concerned, TK has as much chance of getting seats to India as Trump setting up a Golf Resort in Tehran.

rgds//Vimanav

unrave

Fri Oct 25, 2019 3:04 pm

Blerg wrote:

India has cancelled a ship building contract with Turkey in the aftermath of Erdogan's speech

lightsaber

Fri Oct 25, 2019 3:10 pm

edealinfo wrote:
"Sources said there will be deliberations on re-designation of flights"

How does one intrerpret the above phrase?

I think 2 things can happen out of these talks:

a) The talks will only focus on "re-designation": Basically, the UAE rights will be considered as a nation as a whole, and not individual emirates. India gains because Indian airlines will use the underutilized AUH seats to fly to DXB, and to the extent that the individual emirates have not used their seats, they can freely allocate it among their carriers.

b) Rights will be increased to DXB. If so, Ajay Singh's influence is on display.

I hope it will be "a". If so, India would have the advantage. But, I already thought AUH didn't want to allocate its rights to any other emirate, and why should it agree especially after it lost a load of money on Jet.

By the way, with option "a" above, technically "Air Arabia Abu Dhabi" will no longer be needed as Air Arabia could, (using AUH's quota), fly additional seats/flights to India from Sharjah instead of AUH.

http://www.newindianexpress.com/nation/ ... 51679.html

https://www.arabianbusiness.com/transpo ... fic-rights

The issue is most non-flight bilateral trade rights involve Dubai. Unless there is something for Dubai or such a large gain overall, I see more status wuo.

I see what India wants. Now looking at the fact tge UAE is Federalized and not a cohesive nation, will Abu-Dhabi agree to a structure that further weakens EY?

Lightsaber

edealinfo

Fri Oct 25, 2019 5:24 pm

Blerg wrote:

As silly as this may sound, "cargo" flights don't generate as much of a political storm as increasing "passenger" flights.

edealinfo

Fri Oct 25, 2019 5:25 pm

CollegeAviator wrote:
Vistara announce their 3rd international destination out of Mumbai, and the 4th overall - to Colombo, Sri Lanka!

Airbus A320

If it is only 3 times a week, why even bother? I am guessing they went for it because they obtained Jet's BOM slots, which is always a plus. Maybe the Government wouldn't have allowed them to use the same slots to fly from BOM to say, BLR.

edealinfo

Fri Oct 25, 2019 5:30 pm

Vimanav wrote:
edealinfo wrote:

Ultimately as expected nothing happened. I fail to understand why this exercise in futility is conducted every 53 weeks.

rgds//Vimanav

Here is what I speculate happened. India asked for the UAE to be treated as a whole, which would have mainly helped Indian carriers, so UAE walked......especially since they have now found a work-around....."Air Arabia Abu Dhabi" (AAAD) ......will operate flights from AUH to India and this time India can't object because AAAD will presumably be incorporated in AUH.

CPS001

Fri Oct 25, 2019 5:34 pm

edealinfo wrote:
CollegeAviator wrote:

Airbus A320

If it is only 3 times a week, why even bother? I am guessing they went for it because they obtained Jet's BOM slots, which is always a plus. Maybe the Government wouldn't have allowed them to use the same slots to fly from BOM to say, BLR.

It's 6 weekly. The x3 means it doesn't operate on day 3 of the week (Wednesday).

edealinfo

Fri Oct 25, 2019 5:36 pm

lightsaber wrote:
Unless there is something for Dubai or such a large gain overall, I see more status wuo.
Lightsaber

This could have actually benefited Emirates at the expense of AUH. Emirates could have used underutilized AUH flights to India to start additional DXB to India flights. Obviously, AUH didn't want to give its entitlement to DXB.

So yes, the status quo remains. Maybe fares between India and DXB will firm up helping Indian carriers. Also, given that Indian carriers can't fly more flights to DXB, maybe more flights will be launched to AUH. If so, what do you think is the most likley? BLR/BOM/DEL to AUH??? From which part of India do most Indian residents residing in AUH originate?

edealinfo

Fri Oct 25, 2019 6:13 pm

CPS001 wrote:
edealinfo wrote:
CollegeAviator wrote:

Airbus A320

It's 6 weekly. The x3 means it doesn't operate on day 3 of the week (Wednesday).

Ok, thanks. I misread the "X3".
https://www.cnbctv18.com/aviation/vista ... 591501.htm

edealinfo

Fri Oct 25, 2019 6:25 pm

IndiGo postpones launch of much-hyped flights to London Gatwick "after assessing the commercial viability of the operation"

https://www.cnbctv18.com/aviation/indig ... 583661.htm

Separately:
The air service agreement allows them to operate one more service to China and Indigo is looking to materialise that early in the new year.

edealinfo

Fri Oct 25, 2019 6:54 pm

Indian passport holders will no longer need a visa for Brazil

https://indianexpress.com/article/lifes ... s-6087608/

edealinfo

Fri Oct 25, 2019 6:59 pm

By December 5, 90 flights can take off in an hour from BLR airport

The second runway is CAT IIIB ILS compliant so no more flight delays due to fog!

https://bangaloremirror.indiatimes.com/ ... 747243.cms

edealinfo

Fri Oct 25, 2019 7:02 pm

Mopa (Goa's new airport) operations to begin by 2022, says CM despite Supreme Court order suspending operations

https://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/cit ... 748506.cms

edealinfo

Fri Oct 25, 2019 7:04 pm

Does anyone know if the "Plaza Airport Hotel" within BLR airport has closed?

lightsaber

Fri Oct 25, 2019 7:39 pm

edealinfo wrote:
IndiGo postpones launch of much-hyped flights to London Gatwick "after assessing the commercial viability of the operation"

Separately:
The air service agreement allows them to operate one more service to China and Indigo is looking to materialise that early in the new year.

I found your link's note on Indian single digit domestic growth facinating.

It is true that figures of the last couple of months have not been as good as we would like them to be but we still believe that there is fundamental demand in the Indian market and especially as we go outside the metros, we are confident that we can continue to serve the smaller cities and grow presence in smaller cities. We are adding one aircraft every week but we don’t have a problem in finding tasks for those aircraft.

I wonder if lack of slots at prime flying times is finally an issue People want to fly at certain times of the day. India is rationing slots which means growth at prime times is a challenge.

Lightsaber

yashk

Fri Oct 25, 2019 8:14 pm

edealinfo wrote:

Separately:

It’s a cycle, the following news reports come up every few months:
1. Indigo/ Spice looking at Boeing/airbus to order x widebodies to fuel international expansion
2. Indigo/ Spice get slots at London and will start flights from the next season
3. Widebody economics not viable, will use NBs via some point on the way
4. One stop flights not viable, will re-evaluate

edealinfo

Fri Oct 25, 2019 9:44 pm

yashk wrote:
edealinfo wrote:

Separately:

It’s a cycle, the following news reports come up every few months:
1. Indigo/ Spice looking at Boeing/airbus to order x widebodies to fuel international expansion
2. Indigo/ Spice get slots at London and will start flights from the next season
3. Widebody economics not viable, will use NBs via some point on the way
4. One stop flights not viable, will re-evaluate

I agree, ha ha!

vadodara

Sat Oct 26, 2019 2:10 am

Blerg wrote:

From what I understand, trade balance is v much in India’s favor.

Tourism and transit thru Erdogan’s pet project, the new airport, is where India can impose damage.

The travel advisory should serve its purpose.

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos