Tugger
Topic Author

Shepard Smith has stepped down from Fox News

Fri Oct 11, 2019 9:00 pm

His final farewell is here:
https://twitter.com/BretBaier/status/11 ... 04/video/1

Apparently a surprise to the Fox News family.

Tugg
I don’t know that I am unafraid to be myself, but it is hard to be somebody else. - W. Shatner
Productivity isn’t about getting more things done, rather it’s about getting the right things done, while doing less. - M. Oshin

MaverickM11

Re: Shepard Smith has stepped down from Fox News

Fri Oct 11, 2019 9:13 pm

Interesting timing seeing that Trump was--yet again--whining about Faux news a couple days ago, Barr met with Murdoch Wednesday, and Shep is out today.
E pur si muove -Galileo

wingman

Fri Oct 11, 2019 9:26 pm

So just down to Cavuto and Wallace as the only non-boot lickers? They can't be long now..Incredible that Barr would go to Murdoch direct to make this happen. I assume Neil and Chris have been warned to start licking with more gusto.

Anyway, I like Shep's style so I hope he ends up somewhere else once his non-compete expires.

einsteinboricua

Fri Oct 11, 2019 9:29 pm

I wish him well. I hope that after his "contract time-off period" expires he joins another network, one where he can truly deliver. I was picturing him on MSNBC during the same time slot, or on CNN.

Chris Wallace should also jump ship, though I haven't seen him invoke Trump's ire as Shepard has.
"You haven't seen a tree until you've seen its shadow from the sky."

casinterest

Fri Oct 11, 2019 10:01 pm

Well it looks like the nasty opinion folks have won at Fox.
https://www.cnn.com/2019/10/11/media/sh ... index.html

"In his exit, Smith alluded to the tension between the opinion and news divisions, saying that the news division had always "endeavored to deliver" the news "while speaking truth to power, without fear or favor, in context and with perspective."
Smith signed off his newscast adding, "Even in our current polarized nation, it is my hope that the facts will win the day, that the truth will always matter, that journalism and journalists will thrive."
Where ever you go, there you are.

ltbewr

Sat Oct 12, 2019 12:17 am

I wonder if there is something in his personal life we don't know that would get him fired, like maybe sexual assault or harassment, a problem with alcohol or drugs. Many just believe for now that he got tired of being told by corporate what and how to say and conflicted with his personal beliefs.

casinterest

Sat Oct 12, 2019 1:08 am

ltbewr wrote:
I wonder if there is something in his personal life we don't know that would get him fired, like maybe sexual assault or harassment, a problem with alcohol or drugs. Many just believe for now that he got tired of being told by corporate what and how to say and conflicted with his personal beliefs.

I doubt it. I think he had it with the Channel sucking up to the loud mouth prime time lie brigade, and when William Barr met with Murdoch the other night, that was the last straw.

Why exactly would the AG meet with the head of a New Network that sucks up to his boss? For those of you out there that can't draw a line, it is corruption.

afcjets

Sat Oct 12, 2019 1:46 am

wingman wrote:
Anyway, I like Shep's style so I hope he ends up somewhere else once his non-compete expires.

Does he have one? Megyn Kelly obviously didn't. Perhaps CNN hired him.

casinterest

Sat Oct 12, 2019 1:48 am

I think he will write a book about the dysfunction at Fox News. It will come out in July of 2020

WarRI1

Sat Oct 12, 2019 2:23 am

He was one of two people I could stand to watch for more than thirty seconds on Fox, I guess Chris Wallace is next to go.
It is better to die on your feet, than live on your knees.

WidebodyPTV

Sat Oct 12, 2019 2:39 am

afcjets wrote:
wingman wrote:

Kelly’s contact had expired; she was a free agent. Smith had just renewed his contract. He claims the decision to quit was entirely his, but there’s mixed media reports, with some credible reporters saying the network had grown unhappy with him.

apodino

Sat Oct 12, 2019 2:43 am

This is sad all around. Shep was a great journalist and always was in search of the truth, and wasn’t biased at all. Sad because Fox was a fair and balanced network, now its shifted hard right with the departures of Smith, O’Reilly, and Kelly to name a few. It calls itself a news network but it seems like more opinion shows than actual news and it’s clearly kissing oranges rear end. Sadly, CNN and MSNBC are the exact same things on the left. Cable news is dead. There is no such thing anymore. It’s a bunch of opinion shows on both the left and the right. Hard to find real news anymore,

WarRI1

Sat Oct 12, 2019 2:45 am

WidebodyPTV wrote:
afcjets wrote:
wingman wrote:

Kelly’s contact had expired; she was a free agent. Smith had just renewed his contract. He claims the decision to quit was entirely his, but there’s mixed media reports, with some credible reporters saying the network had grown unhappy with him.

That theory is not hard to believe, I am surprised he lasted this long. He dared to question the chief liar in chief and the rest of the other hard core nuts spewing right wing hatred.

DL717

Sat Oct 12, 2019 4:06 am

ltbewr wrote:

He does have a temper. I remember back during the Florida election mess he had a dust up with a CNN guy and got arrested for assault or something.

Supposedly though, he’s been going back and forth behind the scenes with Tucker Carlson.
Welcome to Nothingburgers. May I take your order?

Aaron747

Sat Oct 12, 2019 4:13 am

DL717 wrote:
ltbewr wrote:

He does have a temper. I remember back during the Florida election mess he had a dust up with a CNN guy and got arrested for assault or something.

Supposedly though, he’s been going back and forth behind the scenes with Tucker Carlson.

Not surprising, since Carlson used to be fair-minded and would stick to facts most of the time. He’s a weekend golf club blue blood and towed the traditional conservative line until this administration, and for either more money or vanity has abandoned facts to be an apologist for this corrupt administration. You’d think he’d at least report on what the Kushners have been up to since 2017, but no, only Biden corruption matters. Pretty lame.
If you need someone to blame / throw a rock in the air / you'll hit someone guilty

BN747

Sat Oct 12, 2019 4:18 am

He was clearly told to leave just before his broadcast because a planned exit doesn't unfold that way and Neil Caputo's react told you all you need to know.

BN747
"Home of the Brave, made by the Slaves..Land of the Free, if you look like me.." T. Jefferson

seb146

Sat Oct 12, 2019 4:47 am

There are a lot of questions about him leaving so suddenly and the meeting between Murdoch and Barr. *IF* they are connected, there should be deep investigations. Firing people for simply having a different opinion is wrong. It goes against the First Amendment at every level. Yet another power play by "I am above the law" occupant of the White House probably. He tweets so much about that infotainment network, it would not surprise me.
You bet I'm pumped!!! I just had a green tea!!!

EstherLouise

Sat Oct 12, 2019 3:32 pm

I would love AP News to start a cable news network with Shepard Smith as its cornerstone anchor.
712 722 732 734 737 738 741 742 744 752 762 772 A310 DC91 DC93 DC94 DC1030 DC1040 F100 MD82 MD83

wingman

Sat Oct 12, 2019 4:12 pm

seb146 wrote:
There are a lot of questions about him leaving so suddenly and the meeting between Murdoch and Barr. *IF* they are connected, there should be deep investigations. Firing people for simply having a different opinion is wrong. It goes against the First Amendment at every level. Yet another power play by "I am above the law" occupant of the White House probably. He tweets so much about that infotainment network, it would not surprise me.

It's a private company, they can fire him for whatever reason they want to. He could sue if it was in breach of contract but it certainly doesn't sound like it. I'm guessing they had a termination and non-compete built into his renewal deal and it was good enough for both sides. To answers AFC's question he made a comment towards the end that pointed to a non-compete..I'm guessing he walked with $5-10M in exchange for 12 months off air. It's a great time to write a book or get a cushy gig as Assoc Prof of Journalism at NYU.

12 months from now he'll be back at either CNN or MSNBC prime-time. No way he'll make $15M a year at those two but he'd be a welcome counter balance to Maddow for example, and if he gets ironclad guarantees on editorial content then he'll probably be happy.

seb146

Sat Oct 12, 2019 4:35 pm

Okay, but the Attorney General of the United States met with Rupert Murdoch and, a few hours later, Shepard Smith was fired. I know the answer to this question but does anyone on the right, any MAGA fans, any Republicans, find that just a tiny bit suspicious?

I am sure all on-air personalities have rules written into their contracts about stepping out of line with the Republican party or whatever. Someone could actually sue using the First Amendment. I can't wait to hear what really happened. The crazy stupid BS reason he was terminated. Like having his own opinion.
You bet I'm pumped!!! I just had a green tea!!!

WarRI1

Sat Oct 12, 2019 4:59 pm

seb146 wrote:
Okay, but the Attorney General of the United States met with Rupert Murdoch and, a few hours later, Shepard Smith was fired. I know the answer to this question but does anyone on the right, any MAGA fans, any Republicans, find that just a tiny bit suspicious?

I am sure all on-air personalities have rules written into their contracts about stepping out of line with the Republican party or whatever. Someone could actually sue using the First Amendment. I can't wait to hear what really happened. The crazy stupid BS reason he was terminated. Like having his own opinion.

Of course they cannot find anything suspicious, what could be with this criminal organization built on lies and crooked activities.? They make the mob look like amateurs. They lie and the true believers cannot get enough. I always considered myself not gullible, not so with the true believers of this master liar and cheater. To be honest, I feel sorry for them.

DDR

Sat Oct 12, 2019 7:00 pm

Aaron747 wrote:
DL717 wrote:
ltbewr wrote:

Not surprising, since Carlson used to be fair-minded and would stick to facts most of the time. He’s a weekend golf club blue blood and towed the traditional conservative line until this administration, and for either more money or vanity has abandoned facts to be an apologist for this corrupt administration. You’d think he’d at least report on what the Kushners have been up to since 2017, but no, only Biden corruption matters. Pretty lame.

Carlson Tucker is sadly nothing more than a media whore these days. He just tries to shock and doesn’t deliver any meaningful truth, or news for that matter. He’s one of the few “journalists” that I just can’t stomach.

MaverickM11

Sun Oct 13, 2019 12:21 am

WidebodyPTV wrote:
afcjets wrote:
wingman wrote:

Were Megyn's numbers down when she left? She was very quickly persona non grata after asking Dear Leader about his own quotes.
E pur si muove -Galileo

casinterest

Mon Oct 14, 2019 4:39 pm

Interesting writeup on the concerns to watch for at Fox News.

https://www.usatoday.com/story/entertai ... 973352002/

Cameron also expressed his concern over those who will be filling Smith's slot. "If they're actually news journalists, then that'll be a good sign for the 3:00 hour," Cameron said, "and if it's not, if it's opinion mavens, then that'll be just another big chunk of real journalism that won't exist there."

Until the network names a permanent replacement, it will become an hour-long news show titled "Fox News Reporting," featuring a rotating cast of anchors, the network announced in a news release.

Fox News' Shepard Smith steps

727LOVER

Mon Oct 14, 2019 10:07 pm

Trump has now turned his attention to Chris Wallace:
https://www.yahoo.com/huffpost/shep-smi ... on-brknews
"We must accept finite disappointment, but never lose infinite hope." - Martin Luther King, Jr.