DALMD80
Topic Author

F-4 Phantom Afterburner

Sat Oct 12, 2019 4:12 pm

So I was flying the Phantom in XP11 this morning and kicked it into afterburner. Then I noticed something interesting. The area near the tailhook was turning red! Does this happen IRL, and if so, does it damage the airplane?
You can take the boy away from aviation, but you can't take aviation out of the boy.

RetiredWeasel

Re: F-4 Phantom Afterburner

Sun Oct 13, 2019 3:41 am

DALMD80 wrote:
So I was flying the Phantom in XP11 this morning and kicked it into afterburner. Then I noticed something interesting. The area near the tailhook was turning red! Does this happen IRL, and if so, does it damage the airplane?

Must be a visual effect for increasing the "WOW" factor. After 1500 hours in the F-4, I never heard of a tail hook or it's surrounding area getting so hot it glows. The AB flame pattern is well below and offset. That being said there was a time limit on continuous AB operation. I think (not positive), it was five minutes and could have been a restriction on heat on the horizontal stabilizers. I can't find my manual's right now.

DALMD80
Topic Author

Sun Oct 13, 2019 2:12 pm

RetiredWeasel wrote:
DALMD80 wrote:

Must be a visual effect for increasing the "WOW" factor. After 1500 hours in the F-4, I never heard of a tail hook or it's surrounding area getting so hot it glows. The AB flame pattern is well below and offset. That being said there was a time limit on continuous AB operation. I think (not positive), it was five minutes and could have been a restriction on heat on the horizontal stabilizers. I can't find my manual's right now.

Thanks! Give me a minute and I'll post a screenshot of it.
You can take the boy away from aviation, but you can't take aviation out of the boy.

GalaxyFlyer

Sun Oct 13, 2019 7:50 pm

I’d guess be out of gas in five on continuous AB.

GF

DALMD80
Topic Author

Sun Oct 13, 2019 8:08 pm

I've flown 15 mins continuous burner in XP11 with no drop tank but full internal fuel, sure, it burns quite a bit but I still had 3/4 a tank left.

GalaxyFlyer

Sun Oct 13, 2019 10:42 pm

DALMD80 wrote:
I've flown 15 mins continuous burner in XP11 with no drop tank but full internal fuel, sure, it burns quite a bit but I still had 3/4 a tank left.

I doubt that’s realistic.