Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

airevents
Topic Author

The noisiest and quietest airports

Fri Oct 18, 2019 8:40 am

Good morning all,

just read an interesting article about "Silent Airports", which seems to become a global trend. Less announcements and thus less noise pollution for passengers. I have found this very pleasant at Helsinki Airport recently and would hope for more and more airports to adopt the idea. Just out of curiosity: which are the quietest airports (in terms of the number of announcements made) you have experienced? And which the noisiest? I flew through Kiev Borispol last week and there, it was almost unbearable, every boarding call could be heard all over the terminal in multiple languages. Terribly annoying...

Greetings and thanks for your thoughts!

FlyRow

Re: The noisiest and quietest airports

Fri Oct 18, 2019 1:49 pm

DXB was remarkably silent, although the crowd kind of negates the "no announcemnt".

Worst for me where greek holiday airports (Kos was by far the worst). Outdated PA, shouting with a PA, non understandable english and three similtanious Amsterdam fligths. Good luck figuring out which annuncement was for what.
F70-F100-RJ85-RJ70-E190-319-320-321-733-734-735-737-738-752-753-763-764-772-744-380

CrimsonNL

Fri Oct 18, 2019 3:01 pm

I find my home base AMS to be terrible in this regard. The amount of announcements is staggering, and so is the volume.

You're forced to listen to countless missing passenger calls, from piers that on the other side of the airport. If you're destined for (example) Easyjet to MAN departing from H, it's practically impossible that you're sitting at a B gate. Yet you do hear the announcements for any gate in the airport, no matter the distance from you. Passengers hardly listen to anything anyway, and the more you introduce the less they'll pay attention anyway. Again if I'm sitting at B, somehow missing my flight that's departing from D, the walking distance prohibits me from catching it in time anyway, after hearing my name being called!

Also the moving walkways are ancient, and whenever they aren't broken down they make a very loud hissing noise that can be heard in the entire pier. Combined with the (in)famous "MIND YOUR STEP" automated call outs at the end of every one!

Whenever I'm in a quiet airport, say MUC T2 or ZRH, I'm always amazed at how much nicer it is to sit around, then in a loud terminal!

My two (euro)cents,

Martijn
Always comparing your flown types list with mine

PSAatSAN4Ever

Fri Oct 18, 2019 4:50 pm

Other than the standard "security is everyone's business" announcement so prevalent at American airports, I find most to be free of generic airside-wide announcements. As you walk by gates, you hear the agents making announcements, which is where they should be restricted to.

At SAN Terminal 1 and Southwest, they are really good about overlapping gate announcements. Granted, I pay attention, and the numbered line-up works wonders for people being informed; however, perhaps their staggered scheduling of departures and announcements aids in the lack of overlap.

mchei

Sat Oct 19, 2019 5:41 am

CrimsonNL wrote:
I find my home base AMS to be terrible in this regard. The amount of announcements is staggering, and so is the volume.

Martijn

I totally second what you are saying. The automated “Mind your step” definitely is super annoying and the “Welcome to this KLM flight in cooperation with /ten other airlines/“ isn’t any better. Given the fact that 80% of nowadays’ travelers use headphones, it’s useless :)
F70-F100-E145-E170-E190-319-320-321-735–736-737-738-752-763–742-744-333-343-ATR72-Metroliner-Saab2000-Lockheed Electra-C172-C182-C182RG-MD11

MartijnNL

Sat Oct 19, 2019 8:43 am

CrimsonNL wrote:

So do I. Although I must say I do find it interesting to hear about the routes passengers are taking. "Mr. Baker, travelling from Vancouver to Nairobi, please report to the airport information desk." At the same time making me wonder where this desk is located, as that is never mentioned in the announcement.

CrimsonNL wrote:
Also the moving walkways are ancient, and whenever they aren't broken down they make a very loud hissing noise that can be heard in the entire pier. Combined with the (in)famous "MIND YOUR STEP" automated call outs at the end of every one!

Annoying indeed. And people still manage to trip at the end of the moving walkway. Once I saw an elderly lady hit the ground really hard.

Another 'story' about the moving walkways at Schiphol, in particular the one moving passengers one level up to the departure hall. Some people forget to keep moving when they come to the end of it. I once saw a couple step off and not moving away from it. While they were thinking about where to go next, other passengers came up the walkway and bumped into them. A few seconds later already about ten people and their luggage were rolling over the floor and piling up on top of each other. It looked pretty funny. Luckily for those people shortly after that someone pushed the emergency stop button.

AMS18C36C

Thu Oct 31, 2019 3:20 pm

Mwah, I actually like the ‘Mind your step’-announcements in AMS.

When it comes to airport announcements, the worst I’ve seen was the concourse for US-bound flights at YVR. At around 6AM, there was a constant stream of announcements concerning departing flights, passengers needing to verify their ID’s and requests to gate-check bags. That for every single flight and multiple times at that time of the morning… Blergh…

PSAatSAN4Ever

Thu Oct 31, 2019 10:04 pm

"Attention in the terminal...

Security is EVERYONE's business"

If I never hear this announcement again, it will still be too many times. Repeat it over and over again - drowning out live announcements we're trying to hear - and people will not hear it. JUST STOP IT, PLEASE!!

Having said that, airports need to be at-the-gate only announcements, with a terminal-wide announcement made under only the most important of circumstances. For example, if I am at gate G31 at MSP, I do not need to hear that "Delta flight XXX to Des Moines is moving from gate B21 to gate C3". The minute you do an announcement for one gate change, you will need to do it for all. And then you have your passengers drowning in announcements.

The airport terminal needs to be as quiet as possible, so that the important announcements that affect the entire terminal are heard, and so that the local gate announcements are given priority for those who need to know. Nothing else really matters in the long run.

Coal

Fri Nov 01, 2019 5:09 am

SIN used to have fairly soft-spoken announcements for final calls only and, depending on the airline/destination, in Mandarin, Bahasa Malaysia/Indonesia, Japanese, and Korean, in addition to English.

They have done away with it and it's so quiet and calm.

Meanwhile, in BKK, the constant announcements in Thai, English, and a third language... super loud... make it very hard to have a phone call while at the airport.
Nxt Flts: SQ SIN-KIX | HD UKB-CTS | NH CTS-NRT | SQ NRT-SIN | AK SIN-DPS-SIN