Moderators: jsumali2, richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

gia777
Topic Author

Indonesian Aviation is a mess

Thu Nov 07, 2019 2:28 pm

I am from Indonesia and I am telling this, the whole indonesian aviation is a mess. Some of you probably knew this

First of all, how can you charge passenger a full fare economy only? Only Y class. Garuda is doing this to all their domestic routes, passenger can't choose any other class other than Y. other airlines also jacking up their prices up to 20% more expensive. Travelling within Indonesia is now very expensive, We can see significant drop on total passengers in every airport. The government of indonesia also can't do anything despite they own Garuda. Some says, garuda is in a huge debt and therfore needs to get a lot of cash this year and they did due to their Y class fare only. They rack up huge profit this year.

Garuda also take over Sriwijaya air operational for several months until this month. They split up leaving sriwijaya air into a huge mess. In the news stated Garuda Indonesia took 65% share off from the gross, not from the net profit from Sriwijaya. This is weird and insane. Garuda was also taking over all sriwijaya air big routes. from the news "Moreover, how many months ago the join opearational agreement was amended by the KSM agreement, and with that KSM Garuda unilaterally set a 5% management fee and 65% profit sharing for Garuda and it was calculated from the company's gross income. As a result the company could collapse if so. So this actually wants to save Sriwijaya or even destroy Sriwijaya, "he said at the Coordinating Ministry for Maritime and Investment Jakarta, Thursday

2 times Garuda changing their CEO all within few months. Service also declining sharp. I really have no idea why this is happening. Garuda was fine 2 years ago. Ticket prices in Indonesia is crazy high.
Cheers,

GIA777 :coffee:

Spiderguy252

Re: Indonesian Aviation is a mess

Thu Nov 07, 2019 3:07 pm

In free market economics, the system will eventually correct itself.
Vahroone

eta unknown

Thu Nov 07, 2019 3:31 pm

Sriwjaya Air owed the Indo Govt. lots of money and they couldn't pay so they were put with Govt. owned Garuda. Now the marriage is over, but the solution was typical Indo thinking (which most of us outside Indo can't understand).

Indo domestic fares were too cheap. Now they are higher. But you still have low cost and hybrid alternatives to GA: Air Asia, Lion, Batik.

As comment above stated, free market will correct the situation.

hiflyeras

Thu Nov 07, 2019 3:37 pm

We've been talking about a trip to Bali in 2020 and I want to avoid flying an Indonesian airline (except maybe GA) at all costs. There's no way I'd get on Lion Air or any of their subsidiaries after reading the reports on their crash. I feel bad for the people of Indonesia where flying is the only option in most all cases. Luckily there are many ways to get to DPS but for other Indonesian islands, a local airline is the only option.

Polot

Thu Nov 07, 2019 4:30 pm

Spiderguy252 wrote:
In free market economics, the system will eventually correct itself.

It’s not a free market system though. Garuda is owned by the government and the government takes an active role in Garuda.

Sokes

Sat Nov 09, 2019 8:38 am

hiflyeras wrote:
We've been talking about a trip to Bali in 2020 and I want to avoid flying an Indonesian airline (except maybe GA) at all costs. There's no way I'd get on Lion Air or any of their subsidiaries after reading the reports on their crash.

Epicurus:
“Why should I fear death?
If I am, then death is not.
If Death is, then I am not.
Why should I fear that which can only exist when I do not?”
https://www.goodreads.com/quotes/662599 ... then-death

To the OP:
Is Indonesia in recession?
https://www.theguardian.com/business/20 ... 20-says-un

Since when is the Indonesian economy booming and how long would you expect it to boom before a correction: 20 years, 30 years, 40 years?
That's not to say that a major correction has to be next year or even in three years. But the longer the boom, the more likely a recession.
Why can't the world be a little bit more autistic?

Antaras

Sat Nov 09, 2019 9:39 am

I don't why Indonesia is still able to keep its CAT1 certification, while Thailand can't, and Vietnam is better than Indonesia for decades but only able to secure CAT1 from the beginning of this year.
Edit signature
This is a block of text that can be added to posts you make. There is a 255 character limit.

Sat Nov 09, 2019 12:37 pm

Yeah I think the Southeast Asia aviation is not doing well again. With Sriwijaya now cut relationship with Garuda under KSO, SJ have canceled lots of flight from CGK, SUB and other airports. JT is on duopoly with GA (I think). It’s not only Indonesia that have a mess, Thai aviation is also a mess just like Indonesia and Thai national carrier Thai is almost bankrupt like Sriwijaya does. 2019 is a bad year for aviation.
If it's not Boeing, I'm not going!

as739x

Sat Nov 09, 2019 2:34 pm

Gia777, your thread seems to be more directed towards GA then anything, who yes are horribly expensive for the market they serve. But I can't agree with you more about Indonesian Aviation being a mess. As said above, no one will understand the Indonesian thinking.

Hyflyeres, though I see where your coming from, I wouldn't fear and don;t live your life in fear. GA may have a cleaner recorded, but you will pay for that. Not knowing where you are traveling from, you are correct, there are many options out there. Don;t discount Air Asia, as i fly them 4-5 times a year to DPS and have been onetime every flight, great service, but you get what you pay for. They are a ULCC.

I find Indo flying being a mess more to the extent there are an incredible amount of planes flying around in a very inefficient system. As a regular in Bali, I am still dumbfounded by how inefficient they run the airspace. I left last week and we took 55 mins to just get in the air while only being number 3 for takeoff. Constant holds on the arrivals, etc.
"Some pilots avoid storm cells and some play connect the dots!"

Sat Nov 09, 2019 3:20 pm

as739x wrote:
Gia777, your thread seems to be more directed towards GA then anything, who yes are horribly expensive for the market they serve. But I can't agree with you more about Indonesian Aviation being a mess. As said above, no one will understand the Indonesian thinking.

Hyflyeres, though I see where your coming from, I wouldn't fear and don;t live your life in fear. GA may have a cleaner recorded, but you will pay for that. Not knowing where you are traveling from, you are correct, there are many options out there. Don;t discount Air Asia, as i fly them 4-5 times a year to DPS and have been onetime every flight, great service, but you get what you pay for. They are a ULCC.

I find Indo flying being a mess more to the extent there are an incredible amount of planes flying around in a very inefficient system. As a regular in Bali, I am still dumbfounded by how inefficient they run the airspace. I left last week and we took 55 mins to just get in the air while only being number 3 for takeoff. Constant holds on the arrivals, etc.

I agree. But AirAsia is not really a ULCC, but just an LCC at cheaper price.

Sat Nov 09, 2019 3:22 pm

gia777 wrote:
I am from Indonesia and I am telling this, the whole indonesian aviation is a mess. Some of you probably knew this

First of all, how can you charge passenger a full fare economy only? Only Y class. Garuda is doing this to all their domestic routes, passenger can't choose any other class other than Y. other airlines also jacking up their prices up to 20% more expensive. Travelling within Indonesia is now very expensive, We can see significant drop on total passengers in every airport. The government of indonesia also can't do anything despite they own Garuda. Some says, garuda is in a huge debt and therfore needs to get a lot of cash this year and they did due to their Y class fare only. They rack up huge profit this year.

Garuda also take over Sriwijaya air operational for several months until this month. They split up leaving sriwijaya air into a huge mess. In the news stated Garuda Indonesia took 65% share off from the gross, not from the net profit from Sriwijaya. This is weird and insane. Garuda was also taking over all sriwijaya air big routes. from the news "Moreover, how many months ago the join opearational agreement was amended by the KSM agreement, and with that KSM Garuda unilaterally set a 5% management fee and 65% profit sharing for Garuda and it was calculated from the company's gross income. As a result the company could collapse if so. So this actually wants to save Sriwijaya or even destroy Sriwijaya, "he said at the Coordinating Ministry for Maritime and Investment Jakarta, Thursday

2 times Garuda changing their CEO all within few months. Service also declining sharp. I really have no idea why this is happening. Garuda was fine 2 years ago. Ticket prices in Indonesia is crazy high.

Disagreed. Your topic is almost false. This is also not about the entire aviation in Indonesia is a mess, that's only about GA and SJ which breaks the agreement. You should use unique title, not this title. You are sending more embarrassment to this forum.

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos