Moderators: jsumali2, richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

WaywardMemphian
Topic Author

XNA (Northwest Arkansas) Aviation 2019

Thu Nov 21, 2019 2:21 pm

Munoz stopped by pimping the CRJ-550

Chicago-based carrier United Airlines has been flying its new Bombardier CRJ-550 jet between Northwest Arkansas Regional Airport (XNA) and Chicago about five times daily, or about 125 times so far, since it started the service Oct. 27.

United Airlines CEO Oscar Munoz, who visited XNA on Wednesday (Nov. 20), has been flying to airports to promote the only two-cabin, 50-seat regional aircraft. XNA is one of 15 airports that United Airlines selected for service on the new jet.

https://talkbusiness.net/2019/11/united ... et-at-xna/

Looks like XNA had seen about an 18% increase in enplanements so far in 2019.

jplatts

Re: XNA (Northwest Arkansas) Aviation 2019

Thu Nov 21, 2019 3:13 pm

There are some more nonstop routes that could be added by US3 carriers out of XNA, including the following:
AA - XNA-PHX (PHX will be the only remaining AA hub city that AA doesn't serve nonstop from XNA once AA starts XNA-MIA nonstop service)
DL - XNA-DTW, XNA-SLC
UA - XNA-IAD (IAD is only one of 2 UA hub airports along with LAX that UA doesn't currently serve nonstop from XNA)

PSAatSAN4Ever

Thu Nov 28, 2019 5:19 pm

XNA fascinates me, as the northwest/west area of Arkansas was always my second home growing up. Our family drove across country every summer to visit family in Charleston, about 25 miles east of Fort Smith. In 1984, AA began flying BFL-DFW, so a connection to a DFW-FSM flight turned a family visit from a three-day schlep in a Volkswagen camper (top speed of 50 mph!) into a five hour flight, including transfer time.

But in those ensuing years, it has been the Fayetteville region that has seen the economic boom, while Fort Smith has languished. The new XNA airport has flourished with flights all across the country, while FSM retains only DFW on AA and ATL on DL. Quite the change from tiny Drake Field that I flew into in 1974, FSM-Drake Field-JPL-MCI. The facilities are top notch, although I would hope for more window tinting on the east side, as that morning sun is brutal!

I'm delighted for XNA's sake to see such growth, and obviously the premium demand is there. The new road they are building cannot come soon enough - I cannot understand how this was not included in the original plan!

Indy

Sat Dec 07, 2019 2:53 pm

XNA is a really nice airport. Glad I was able to get DL mainline in on the 1st. I am surprised DL doesn't have all mainline. I believe every flight I have been on in and out of XNA has been full.

Love the remodeled security checkpoint.

Are there any talks of the airport working on moving from regional to international?
Indy = Indianapolis and not Independence Air

WaywardMemphian
Topic Author

Wed Dec 11, 2019 7:55 pm

XNA is dropping Regional and going to Northwest Arkansas National Airport and has filed the paperwork with the FAA and TSA Check Point Expansion is done

https://m.facebook.com/story.php?story_ ... 7878780414

jb1087xna

Wed Dec 11, 2019 11:22 pm

jplatts wrote:
There are some more nonstop routes that could be added by US3 carriers out of XNA, including the following:
AA - XNA-PHX (PHX will be the only remaining AA hub city that AA doesn't serve nonstop from XNA once AA starts XNA-MIA nonstop service)
DL - XNA-DTW, XNA-SLC
UA - XNA-IAD (IAD is only one of 2 UA hub airports along with LAX that UA doesn't currently serve nonstop from XNA)

Without knowing much about PHX for AA, does it service that many more markets than LAX and DFW? And that would offer better connections? LAX gets 2 flights a day and DFW has 8 (just based on today). I assume AA will add it at some point but I wonder how much incremental business/value it gives AA versus bragging rights for XNA.
Being a DL FF'er, I'd like XNA-SLC personally....very jealous of TUL and their 175 to SLC. I think it'd probably steal some volume from MSP though (not even counting ATL), and DL seems fairly conservative with growth at XNA since upgauging all flights off of the the CR2 a few years back.

XNA is dropping Regional and going to Northwest Arkansas National Airport and has filed the paperwork with the FAA and TSA Check Point Expansion is done

I read about that earlier as well. I laughed a little to myself, as it seems airlines frequently don't know how to refer to XNA anyway. I've heard the official name, Fayetteville Regional, Bentonville/Fayettevillle Regional, and countless other ways.

fjnovak1

Thu Dec 12, 2019 12:20 am

Back in the day I boarded a flight at MSP on NW Airlink where the departure board said:

NW ARK RGL AIRPORT

The gate agent - as I approached her for my orange bag tag or whatever color it was that NW used, goes “are you going to...(looks at screen)... wherever this is?”
Go Blue!!

fjnovak1

Thu Dec 12, 2019 12:25 am

I’ve seen it all. United used to have ‘Fayetteville, AR’ on the monitors in the terminal at O’Hare that listed the flights and your boarding pass said ‘Bentonville, AK” (Alaska. seriously. Saw it with my own two eyes)

Delta for a time post merger would use NORTHWEST ARKANSAS for flights out of Memphis but FAYETTEVILLE, AR for flights from Atlanta, which they’d invariably locate real close to flights to Fayetteville, NC. American I know in the Route map from the magazine has it as Bentonville/Fayetteville/Northwest Arkansas... which seems to cover it.

jb1087xna wrote:
jplatts wrote:
DL - XNA-DTW, XNA-SLC

Without knowing much about PHX for AA, does it service that many more markets than LAX and DFW? And that would offer better connections? LAX gets 2 flights a day and DFW has 8 (just based on today). I assume AA will add it at some point but I wonder how much incremental business/value it gives AA versus bragging rights for XNA.
Being a DL FF'er, I'd like XNA-SLC personally....very jealous of TUL and their 175 to SLC. I think it'd probably steal some volume from MSP though (not even counting ATL), and DL seems fairly conservative with growth at XNA since upgauging all flights off of the the CR2 a few years back.

I read about that earlier as well. I laughed a little to myself, as it seems airlines frequently don't know how to refer to XNA anyway. I've heard the official name, Fayetteville Regional, Bentonville/Fayettevillle Regional, and countless other ways.
Go Blue!!

WaywardMemphian
Topic Author

Thu Dec 12, 2019 12:41 am

fjnovak1 wrote:
I’ve seen it all. United used to have ‘Fayetteville, AR’ on the monitors in the terminal at O’Hare that listed the flights and your boarding pass said ‘Bentonville, AK” (Alaska. seriously. Saw it with my own two eyes)

Delta for a time post merger would use NORTHWEST ARKANSAS for flights out of Memphis but FAYETTEVILLE, AR for flights from Atlanta, which they’d invariably locate real close to flights to Fayetteville, NC. American I know in the Route map from the magazine has it as Bentonville/Fayetteville/Northwest Arkansas... which seems to cover it.

jb1087xna wrote:
jplatts wrote:
DL - XNA-DTW, XNA-SLC

It they used Hillfill(actually location) every would be confused. XNA say they are working with airports in this issue, it is individual airports that make the determination. Should just be God's Country but I'm a proud local.

sprxUSA

Thu Dec 12, 2019 5:31 am

Longest CRJ route I was on was SLC-XNA on OO. Fortunately, only had 13 pax so wasn't tight on the -200. Flew to DEN on way out.
Gem State Airlines..."we have a gem of an airline"

fjnovak1

Thu Dec 12, 2019 4:41 pm

Oh, of course ‘Highfill’ would confuse people. What are there, 650 people in Highfill? When you fly to DTW, they don’t welcome you to Romulus (the airport is as many people know not in Detroit).

‘Northwest Arkansas’ is probably the way it should universally be designated, especially since none of the cities in the area are the top dog. Fayetteville is probably the best known - although that’s debatable- Because of Wal-Mart, Bentonville has a lot of national recognition while Springdale- nearly equal in size to Fayetteville- has none. Northwest Arkansas I would think leads to the least confusion, although I do have a friend who once erroneously purchased a ticket to XNA despite needing to go to Little Rock. He didn’t know there were multiple airports in Arkansas and typed in ‘Arkansas’ into the destination and NW was happy to sell him a ticket to XNA in response to that.
Go Blue!!

dfwjim1

Thu Dec 12, 2019 4:51 pm

Hopefully some day Southwest will service XNA.

jb1087xna

Sat Dec 14, 2019 12:52 pm

sprxUSA wrote:
Longest CRJ route I was on was SLC-XNA on OO. Fortunately, only had 13 pax so wasn't tight on the -200. Flew to DEN on way out.

That had to be brutal. Fortunately it'd be a CR7 at the smallest given DL's self-imposed limits on the -200s if it comes back.

PSAatSAN4Ever

Sat Dec 14, 2019 4:53 pm

jb1087xna wrote:
sprxUSA wrote:

That had to be brutal. Fortunately it'd be a CR7 at the smallest given DL's self-imposed limits on the -200s if it comes back.

SLC-XNA = 873 nm
BFL-DEN = 734 nm

I know 140 nm is 30 extra minutes, but probably the last CRJ-200 route that will be flown will be out of BFL. One of the last SkyWest EM2 flights was BFL-LAX before the route was canceled entirely.

How long was XNA-SLC flown?

WaywardMemphian
Topic Author

Sat Dec 14, 2019 9:11 pm

fjnovak1 wrote:
Oh, of course ‘Highfill’ would confuse people. What are there, 650 people in Highfill? When you fly to DTW, they don’t welcome you to Romulus (the airport is as many people know not in Detroit).

‘Northwest Arkansas’ is probably the way it should universally be designated, especially since none of the cities in the area are the top dog. Fayetteville is probably the best known - although that’s debatable- Because of Wal-Mart, Bentonville has a lot of national recognition while Springdale- nearly equal in size to Fayetteville- has none. Northwest Arkansas I would think leads to the least confusion, although I do have a friend who once erroneously purchased a ticket to XNA despite needing to go to Little Rock. He didn’t know there were multiple airports in Arkansas and typed in ‘Arkansas’ into the destination and NW was happy to sell him a ticket to XNA in response to that.

Fayetteville = University of Arkansas
Springdale= Chicken Town (Tyson /George)
Rogers = just Roger's with lots of Vendor offices(JB Hunt is actually in Lowell ,between Rogers and Springdale)
Bentonville= Wally World and Vendorville though P&G is in Fayetteville.

jb1087xna

Sat Dec 14, 2019 11:53 pm

IMO, (business/corporate) air travel demand based around the "biggest" vendors/companies to WM is actually fairly limited given most of them have offices in the area. And the need for face to face interactions from anyone outside of the local offices is fairly infrequent and sporadic. (Obviously travel for leisure for employees of those same companies is a completely different story.) I'd think it's all of the small ones that don't have local offices or current business that generate the bulk of the corporate demand.

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos