Moderators: jsumali2, richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

RyanairGuru

Re: Australian Aviation Thread - December 2019

Mon Dec 30, 2019 9:53 am

YYZORD wrote:
qf789 wrote:
YYZORD wrote:
I'm just curious as to why QF can't make YVR work year round? They should at least serve one canadian destination daily year round. Look at AC with Canada-Australia routes, QF should at least add SYD-YVR daily year round for extra competition.

Because firstly they don't have the available aircraft, what aircraft they do have there are more important markets to serve. Also having noticed what passengers VA send through on AC there aren't many that just go to YVR, they connect onto other services within Canada

The 787-9 is the perfect aircraft for this route let alone they have codeshare with WS.

If you had read the posts above yours before posting you would have seen that we are discussing how Qantas will continue to serve their current network once the 747s leave within the next 12 months. There is absolutely no slack in the fleet to add any more new routes for the foreseeable future. Precisely which current routes do you propose they cut to launch YVR?

Flyingsottsman

Mon Dec 30, 2019 10:12 am

Reading all these posts about QF having their fleet stretched and seeing posters say if they take this plane of this route and put it on this route and etc ect, sounds to me like QF just don't have enough aircraft in their international fleet to make it run smoothly. Why do they take so long to order aircraft that other airlines have operated for a few years now, and seems to work well for them. eg: SQ 777s, 787s, A380s, A330s' A350s, didn't take SQ long to order and get them into their fleets, what's' wrong with QF, this project sunrise BS will never happen look at the 777 when it first came out they never took them up. What is Alan Joyce and Qantas waiting for what sort of aircraft are they looking for I just don't get it .

Flyerqf

Mon Dec 30, 2019 10:32 am

Flyingsottsman wrote:
Reading all these posts about QF having their fleet stretched and seeing posters say if they take this plane of this route and put it on this route and etc ect, sounds to me like QF just don't have enough aircraft in their international fleet to make it run smoothly. Why do they take so long to order aircraft that other airlines have operated for a few years now, and seems to work well for them. eg: SQ 777s, 787s, A380s, A330s' A350s, didn't take SQ long to order and get them into their fleets, what's' wrong with QF, this project sunrise BS will never happen look at the 777 when it first came out they never took them up. What is Alan Joyce and Qantas waiting for what sort of aircraft are they looking for I just don't get it .

I don’t think you can compare Qantas to other competitors in other countries, as my understanding is that there Is different accounting treatment for depreciation in Australia vs Singapore, as an example.

Therefore QF is always very tight on their capital expenditure and typically runs with older fleets to keep their capex and depreciation costs down. VA typically also runs a very tight fleet management strategy. They cancel flights to schedule maintenance, something Qantas doesn’t do.

eamondzhang

Mon Dec 30, 2019 10:42 am

Flyingsottsman wrote:

It's called conservative capital investment and smart fleet management, maximise the utilisation of your assets during high season and plan downtime during low season where less money is made. All airlines globally do the same, and why exactly QF has to be different? I know an airline with 45+ 787s only plans 1 spare at any given time and another airlines that has tons of A330s also do the same. Airlines globally also tends to fly aircrafts to 15-25 years' lifespan, and why exactly QF has to order the state-of-art aircraft? Remember it took SQ ten years to get their first A350 and twelve from initial 787 order to take first 787 - "didn't take SQ long to order and get them into their fleets", wth? Did you actually bother checking the facts first?

Michael

moa999

Mon Dec 30, 2019 10:52 am

Put simply, because the returns aren't there.

As a public company Qantas has been keenly focussed on returns for a long time (probably moreso than even the US airlines).

It operates from a relatively high cost country and competes against a number of state owned/supported flag carries where profit or returns is not necessarily a core objective

The group has been willing to take risks (eg the various international Jetstars, including the Hong Kong failure) but equally been willing to curb expansion when the returns aren't there (compare recent growth of Scoot/TigerSing to Jetstar Asia and VietJet and Bamboo Vs Jetstar Pacific).

As for why not 777s, that has been long discussed on these boards. Simply put at the time it ordered 747ERs and A380s instead.. and as a number of airlines have proven having one of everything is not a good strategy.

qf789
Topic Author

Mon Dec 30, 2019 11:02 am

A couple of PER related things

NZ has switched from 789 to 772 as of yesterday

Qatar went tech last night, new parts were being flown in from DOH today, so hopefully will either depart later tonight or tomorrow

Captdasbomb

Mon Dec 30, 2019 11:35 am

qf789 wrote:

Qatar went tech last night, new parts were being flown in from DOH today, so hopefully will either depart later tonight or tomorrow

Does Qatar have engineers based in Perth or they have an agreement with Network/Cobham?

Flyingsottsman

Mon Dec 30, 2019 1:52 pm

eamondzhang wrote:
Flyingsottsman wrote:

It's called conservative capital investment and smart fleet management, maximise the utilisation of your assets during high season and plan downtime during low season where less money is made. All airlines globally do the same, and why exactly QF has to be different? I know an airline with 45+ 787s only plans 1 spare at any given time and another airlines that has tons of A330s also do the same. Airlines globally also tends to fly aircrafts to 15-25 years' lifespan, and why exactly QF has to order the state-of-art aircraft? Remember it took SQ ten years to get their first A350 and twelve from initial 787 order to take first 787 - "didn't take SQ long to order and get them into their fleets", wth? Did you actually bother checking the facts first?

Michael

No I didn't :roll: I just asked a question about Qantas and used SQ as an example ok! You can answer a question without the attitude.

qf789
Topic Author

Mon Dec 30, 2019 2:27 pm

VA68 HKG-MEL (30 Dec) has gone tech, scheduled to depart HKG 31/12 at 8am, same aircraft that went tech in HKG on the 17th of December

qf789
Topic Author

Mon Dec 30, 2019 2:30 pm

Captdasbomb wrote:
qf789 wrote:

Does Qatar have engineers based in Perth or they have an agreement with Network/Cobham?

Normally they contract maintenance out however on this occasion they flew several engineers in

EK413

Mon Dec 30, 2019 5:35 pm

qf789 wrote:
Captdasbomb wrote:
qf789 wrote:

Normally they contract maintenance out however on this occasion they flew several engineers in

I could be off the mark but I believe QF engineering looked after QR in SYD & MEL (believe it or not). Recall several months ago when their A380 went tech in Sydney the aircraft spent a few days in QF hangar 416.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

QF742

Mon Dec 30, 2019 6:37 pm

RyanairGuru wrote:
As I see it there are two possible outcomes in 12 months from now, with either HND or JNB getting an A380 and the other a 787 and everything else status quo. Changing DFW to a 787 is a pretty massive hit to capacity, even with a 3 weekly MEL-DFW. I have mapped both the 787s and A380s as it was the only way I could keep track to make sure I was capturing everything.

Option One (assumes that HND does not permit A380 operations)

787s = 14

MEL-PER-LHR + MEL-SFO + MEL-LAX = 4
BNE-LAX-JFK = 2
BNE-SFO + BNE-ORD = 2
SYD-SFO + SYD-SCL = 3
SYD-HND = 2 (maybe with a SYD-AKL in between, A330 SYD-NRT to compensate for lost capacity)

TOTAL: 13/14

A380s = 12

SYD-SIN-LHR + SYD-JNB = 4 (*)
SYD-LAX = 2
MEL-LAX = 2
SYD-DFW = 2

TOTAL: 10/12 (**)

Option 2 (HND permits A380 operations, JNB is down-gauged)

787s = 14

MEL-PER-LHR + MEL-SFO + MEL-LAX = 4
BNE-LAX-JFK = 2
BNE-SFO + BNE-ORD = 2
SYD-SFO + SYD-SCL = 3
SYD-JNB = 2 (it's 1.5 but there's not much you can do with the fractional 0.5 other than an AKL night-stop)

A380s = 12

SYD-SIN-LHR = 3
SYD-LAX = 2
MEL-LAX = 2
SYD-DFW = 2
SYD-HND = 1.5

TOTAL: 10.5/12

Option 3 (NB: This results in ~1200 fewer weekly seats to the USA - noting that QF are going to increase DFW to daily year-round so presumably it is doing well enough)

787s = 14

MEL-PER-LHR + MEL-SFO (4x) + MEL-DFW (3x) = 4
BNE-LAX-JFK = 2
BNE-SFO + BNE-ORD = 2
SYD-SFO + SYD-SCL = 3
SYD-DFW = 2

A380s = 12

SYD-SIN-LHR = 3
SYD-LAX = 2
MEL-LAX = 2
SYD-HND + SYD-JNB = 3

TOTAL: 10/12

(*) With a small adjustment to the schedule QF63/64 can be operated with one frame between QF2 -> QF1. Hypothetical schedule based on schedule for QF1:

NS

SYD-JNB 10:00-16:00
JNB-SYD 18:00-13:45
SYD-SIN 15:55-22:15

NW

SYD-JNB 11:00-16:00
JNB-SYD 18:00-14:45
SYD-SIN 17:00-22:05

(**) Allows for maintenance/refurb plus QF127/128 and/or QF35/36 to be seasonally up-gauged

Where do the 789s that are flying to HKG feature? Has it already been announced when HKG will stop seeing the 789s or is it indefinite at the moment?

qf789
Topic Author

Mon Dec 30, 2019 6:57 pm

EK413 wrote:
qf789 wrote:
Captdasbomb wrote:

I could be off the mark but I believe QF engineering looked after QR in SYD & MEL (believe it or not). Recall several months ago when their A380 went tech in Sydney the aircraft spent a few days in QF hangar 416.

Just out of curiosity does QF have a parts store for the A388 at both SYD and MEL or just SYD

RyanairGuru

Mon Dec 30, 2019 7:30 pm

EK413 wrote:
qf789 wrote:
Captdasbomb wrote:

Why the "believe it or not"? Qantas do ground handling for Qatar, just as they do for quite a lot of foreign carriers, so it would make sense if they are contracted for maintenance as well.

EK413

Australian Aviation Thread - December 2019

Mon Dec 30, 2019 7:54 pm

RyanairGuru wrote:
EK413 wrote:
qf789 wrote:

Why the "believe it or not"? Qantas do ground handling for Qatar, just as they do for quite a lot of foreign carriers, so it would make sense if they are contracted for maintenance as well.

QF & QR aren’t on friendly terms hence the “believe it or not” quote and I know business is business.

zkncj

Mon Dec 30, 2019 8:29 pm

qf789 wrote:

Likely to be Rolls Royce related, there is an nice 789 collection starting to form again at the AKL Hangars.

HKG is currently be operated by wet leased a350s from CX, so would of free’d up some 77E slots.

smi0006

Mon Dec 30, 2019 8:59 pm

RyanairGuru wrote:
EK413 wrote:
qf789 wrote:

I don’t believe QF does the ground handling for QR I believe it’s dnata everywhere except CBR which maybe Swissport? EK used to do QRs engineering in MEL, not sure if they still do or if EK do it in PER. AMSA (rebranded but can’t recall their new name) is a contracting company that also provides outstation engineering, perhaps they do?

RyanairGuru

Mon Dec 30, 2019 9:59 pm

EK413 wrote:
RyanairGuru wrote:
EK413 wrote:

QF & QR aren’t on friendly terms hence the “believe it or not” quote and I know business is business.

As you said, business is business. There's money on the table, and also maintenance is one area where airlines will generally help any competitor (or at least any competitor with good credit) in case they need the favour repaid. If Qantas ever have to divert into DOH for whatever reason they will want QR to help out. You scratch my back, I'll scratch yours.

And yes, Qantas only handle Qatar in Canberra. I should have specified that, but it shows that money flows thicker than emotion.
Last edited by RyanairGuru on Mon Dec 30, 2019 10:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.

RyanairGuru

Mon Dec 30, 2019 10:00 pm

smi0006 wrote:
RyanairGuru wrote:
EK413 wrote:

I don’t believe QF does the ground handling for QR I believe it’s dnata everywhere except CBR which maybe Swissport? EK used to do QRs engineering in MEL, not sure if they still do or if EK do it in PER. AMSA (rebranded but can’t recall their new name) is a contracting company that also provides outstation engineering, perhaps they do?

It is Qantas in CBR.

EK413

Mon Dec 30, 2019 10:46 pm

RyanairGuru wrote:
smi0006 wrote:
RyanairGuru wrote:

It is Qantas in CBR.

I believe QF did handle QR in both SYD & MEL at one point but switched over to Dnata.

NZ516

Mon Dec 30, 2019 11:04 pm

zkncj wrote:
qf789 wrote:

Likely to be Rolls Royce related, there is an nice 789 collection starting to form again at the AKL Hangars.

HKG is currently be operated by wet leased a350s from CX, so would of free’d up some 77E slots.

Only seen ZKNZE at the hangar on its own recently with ZKNZH back flying again 29 DEC after being grounded for a week.

345tas

Mon Dec 30, 2019 11:19 pm

Does anyone know why China Eastern/Shanghai Airlines MU738 was nine hours late departing MEL yesterday?

It taxied, on time, almost to the threshold of the runway before going back to the gate and sitting there until 9pm.

ZK-NBT

Mon Dec 30, 2019 11:26 pm

NZ516 wrote:
zkncj wrote:
qf789 wrote:

Only seen ZKNZE at the hangar on its own recently with ZKNZH back flying again 29 DEC after being grounded for a week.

Earlier than normal RR maintenance

smi0006

Mon Dec 30, 2019 11:35 pm

EK413 wrote:
RyanairGuru wrote:
smi0006 wrote:

It is Qantas in CBR.

I believe QF did handle QR in both SYD & MEL at one point but switched over to Dnata.

Not sure for engineering - but for GHA it’s always been Dnata since they started in Melbourne. I was rather surprised after the embargo they didn’t cut ties, but I believe it’s a global contract so would have been a huge loss to both sides.

waoz1

Tue Dec 31, 2019 3:19 am

qf789 wrote:

Interesting to see two QR 388s on the ground today as I see QR900 is on its way.

VapourTrails

Tue Dec 31, 2019 6:26 am

VA277 MEL to CBR returned to MEL shortly after take-off this afternoon.

JRPLANES

Tue Dec 31, 2019 9:18 am

VapourTrails wrote:
VA277 MEL to CBR returned to MEL shortly after take-off this afternoon.

A similar incident happened yesterday when QF2086 from MEL to MQL (Mildura) returned back to Melbourne also shortly after take off

As for VA277, another aircraft (VH-YIE) was used to run this route shortly after what happened

waoz1

Tue Dec 31, 2019 10:00 am

So guessing there are 3 x a380s on the ground in Perth tonight.

2 QR and 1 EK

Anyone got the photo?

VapourTrails

Tue Dec 31, 2019 10:20 am

VH-OEJ ‘Wunala’ is operating the New Years Antarctica charter flight QF2907 from MEL.

qf789
Topic Author

Tue Dec 31, 2019 10:33 am

Please continue discussion in Australian Aviation Thread January 2020

viewtopic.php?f=3&t=1437871