SANFan

Re: Japan Airlines Eyeing New U.S. Destinations

Sun Dec 08, 2019 5:27 pm

LAX772LR wrote:
aemoreira1981 wrote:
could SAN move from JL to ZG?

....why would it?

SAN does quite well for JL.

:checkmark: And JL just upgraded the configuration of the SAN flight to more premium-heavy. I see no reason whatsoever to change to ZG service in the market.

(In fact I just saw mention on SAN.org that even JL's cargo business to/from SAN has apparently taken a leap upward recently.)

Also, it was mentioned up-thread about the possibility of switching SAN to HND (from NRT.) The (wise) decision has already been made that SAN-NRT will remain, primarily due to the number of connecting destinations available only thru Narita. Since JL is currently SAN's only Asian nonstop, offering as many connecting opportunities as possible is a major priority for JL.

If KE, PR (or ??) should begin serving SAN, then we might see JL shift the flight over to HND.

bb

georgiabill

Sun Dec 08, 2019 5:31 pm

I could see JL use ZG on a 4x-5x NRT-LAS-NRT service. Could ONT be a possibility as an alternative for additional LAX area service? JL or ZG perhaps 4X-5X to start on a NRT-ONT-NRT service

southwest1675

Sun Dec 08, 2019 5:42 pm

Thinking it’ll be BNA with hourly service to NRT. Take it to the bank.
Herb Kelleher 1931-2019

Midwestindy

Sun Dec 08, 2019 6:33 pm

stl07 wrote:
AUS, BNA, IND :stirthepot:

:duck:

Some people just want to watch the world burn
Status for 2019/2020: AAdvantage Platinum, Delta Gold, Southwest A-List

many321

Sun Dec 08, 2019 6:37 pm

georgiabill wrote:
I could see JL use ZG on a 4x-5x NRT-LAS-NRT service. Could ONT be a possibility as an alternative for additional LAX area service? JL or ZG perhaps 4X-5X to start on a NRT-ONT-NRT service

Would be great if they selected ONT, however the problem with that most of JAL/ANA catchment is around the Downtown LA/West side area. Would be too far for anyone to drive up to ONT.

LAX772LR

Sun Dec 08, 2019 9:20 pm

SANFan wrote:
If KE, PR (or ??) should begin serving SAN

While I realize that the SoCal Korean community/businesses are overwhelmingly concentrated in L.A. proper; I'm still rather shocked that JL beat KE into SAN in the first place, considering its historic conservatism versus KE's prior penetration into the US market + willingness to try all-new destinations to east Asia.

Good to see though. Hopefully, we'll be seeing both of them there soon enough.

many321 wrote:
Would be great if they selected ONT, however the problem with that most of JAL/ANA catchment is around the Downtown LA/West side area.

No it isn't, by a longshot.

The overwhelming majority of Japanese business and residence in Greater L.A. is in the South Bay area.

Though, that actually exacerbates the situation for OAK even worse.
I myself, suspect a more prosaic motive... ~Thranduil

centrair

Sun Dec 08, 2019 10:18 pm

JAL has been slowly restructuring their marketing and sales structure to the US to capture more of the US-Japan and US-SEA market from not only NH but DL and UA. AA has been good for feed but they still do not grab a large market share for their own flights.

Currently 20% of JAL’s total sales come from international travel. They want to grow that to 50% and they know they can’t do it from Japan or with only Japanese businesses/communities abroad. The Japanese expat and diaspora is not that big (compared to Korean, Chinese, Filipino or Vietnamese). They are decades behind in trying to be more global (compared to NH) but seem to be working hard to rectify that.

JAL wants to eat away at competition and grab US originating traffic; a challenge in itself due to how consumers choose airlines. Wherever JAL chooses, it’ll be a place to gain more business and take a bite out of local competition (UA & DL) while strengthening their relationship with AA.
My name is Centrair but HND is closer. Let's Japanese Aviation!

jplatts

Sun Dec 08, 2019 11:22 pm

centrair wrote:
JAL has been slowly restructuring their marketing and sales structure to the US to capture more of the US-Japan and US-SEA market from not only NH but DL and UA. AA has been good for feed but they still do not grab a large market share for their own flights.

Currently 20% of JAL’s total sales come from international travel. They want to grow that to 50% and they know they can’t do it from Japan or with only Japanese businesses/communities abroad. The Japanese expat and diaspora is not that big (compared to Korean, Chinese, Filipino or Vietnamese). They are decades behind in trying to be more global (compared to NH) but seem to be working hard to rectify that.

JAL wants to eat away at competition and grab US originating traffic; a challenge in itself due to how consumers choose airlines. Wherever JAL chooses, it’ll be a place to gain more business and take a bite out of local competition (UA & DL) while strengthening their relationship with AA.

Through the JL-AS codeshare relationship, JL already does offer connections onto its SEA-NRT flights from AS nonstop flights to SEA from some AS destinations in the Pacific Northwest, Mountain West, and Midwest (and vice versa).

SEA is also a much better connecting point to TYO from the Pacific Northwest, Mountain West, and Midwest than AA's DFW, PHX, and LAX hubs are.

JL already has connections to TYO from most destinations in the Southwest, the Southeast, Midwestern markets east of Chicago, the Mid-Atlantic, and the Northeast covered through AA's LAX, DFW, and ORD hubs. The Southwest, the Southeast, Midwestern destinations east of Chicago, the Mid-Atlantic, and the Northeast are also places where it makes sense to connect onto JL's LAX-TYO, DFW-TYO, or ORD-TYO nonstop flights.

JL could capture more U.S. point of sale traffic to Japan by strengthening its codeshare relationships with both AA and AS as there are some parts of the contiguous U.S. where AS's SEA hub is a much better connecting point than AA's hubs and other parts of the contiguous U.S. where AA's LAX, DFW, or ORD hubs are a better connecting point than AS's SEA hub.

YYZORD

Mon Dec 09, 2019 12:28 am

If SEA can support a nonstop to SIN with SQ, I'm sure YVR can support it too as its a more popular destination for asian travellers compared to SEA. Also YVR has way more asian destinations than SEA and the only destination that YVR doesn't have a direct flight to that SEA has is SIN. With the A359, this fits the perfect route for SIN-YVR non stop.

longhauler wrote:
wedgetail737 wrote:
Thanks for the correction. But I just don't see SQ returning to YVR anytime soon.

With the advent of very efficient long haul aircraft, the possibility is now there, where it wasn’t before. It really comes down to whether YVR (or YYZ for that matter) could support a daily nonstop.

SIN as a destination/hub does not offer a lot of efficient connections from North America, like it does from the South Pacific to Europe. The better connected Asian hubs like NRT/HND, Seoul or even Hong Kong still offer better options. Which with the current decline of HKG, I’m not surprised JAL is looking at expanding into the US.

usflyer msp

Mon Dec 09, 2019 12:51 am

I wonder if we might see JL do something interesting like a 3x weekly DFW-NGO flight for Toyota...

x1234

Mon Dec 09, 2019 1:16 am

YYZORD, The reason SQ selected SEA over YVR is the business class potential with the Fortune 500 HQ'ed in Seattle including Microsoft, Nintendo & Starbucks. YVR is nearly 100% VFR. SQ also has a industry leading product and Singapore is the data center hub for SE Asia (e.g. Microsoft Cloud).

wedgetail737

Mon Dec 09, 2019 4:09 am

YYZORD wrote:
If SEA can support a nonstop to SIN with SQ, I'm sure YVR can support it too as its a more popular destination for asian travellers compared to SEA. Also YVR has way more asian destinations than SEA and the only destination that YVR doesn't have a direct flight to that SEA has is SIN. With the A359, this fits the perfect route for SIN-YVR non stop.

longhauler wrote:
wedgetail737 wrote:
Thanks for the correction. But I just don't see SQ returning to YVR anytime soon.

With the advent of very efficient long haul aircraft, the possibility is now there, where it wasn’t before. It really comes down to whether YVR (or YYZ for that matter) could support a daily nonstop.

SIN as a destination/hub does not offer a lot of efficient connections from North America, like it does from the South Pacific to Europe. The better connected Asian hubs like NRT/HND, Seoul or even Hong Kong still offer better options. Which with the current decline of HKG, I’m not surprised JAL is looking at expanding into the US.

If that's the case, then why did SQ end service to YVR?

YYZORD

Mon Dec 09, 2019 7:14 am

Because it was the issue of stopping at ICN. Now SQ can fly direct to YVR without stopping anywhere with their A359

wedgetail737 wrote:
YYZORD wrote:

longhauler wrote:

If that's the case, then why did SQ end service to YVR?

BeachBoy

Mon Dec 09, 2019 7:21 am

What is the US CBP pre-clearance progress at NRT?
Once that is in place I think NRT-OGG/LIH (with return via HNL due to runway length) will be launched.

PHLspecial

Mon Dec 09, 2019 10:54 am

Nicknuzzii wrote:
Is there actually any chance of PHL here?

There is always a chance sure small though. JL can run a 787 to start off. 3 times weekly and build off that. Essentially JL would be provide us connections to other Asian countries.

aerace

Mon Dec 09, 2019 11:13 am

PHLspecial wrote:
Nicknuzzii wrote:

There is always a chance sure small though. JL can run a 787 to start off. 3 times weekly and build off that. Essentially JL would be provide us connections to other Asian countries.

If QR can do it, I don't see why JL couldn't, especially considering that's a whole other area of Asia. QR has seen a sizable boost in passengers after adjusting to the PM flight, so as long as JL works their schedule accordingly for connecting pax, this should work fine for PHL. Long time coming in my opinion.

usflyer msp

Mon Dec 09, 2019 2:05 pm

PHLspecial wrote:
Nicknuzzii wrote:

The main problem is going to be the plane sitting in
PHL for 20-hours to hit the evening NRT bank, similar to BOS. It would be cool if AA and JL could work out a deal for AA to use JL's plane for a short TATL flight like DUB while it sits but I doubt that would ever happen...

ChrisNH38

Mon Dec 09, 2019 5:23 pm

usflyer msp wrote:
PHLspecial wrote:
Nicknuzzii wrote:

PHL for 20-hours to hit the evening NRT bank, similar to BOS. It would be cool if AA and JL could work out a deal for AA to use JL's plane for a short TATL flight like DUB while it sits but I doubt that would ever happen...

I took JAL 7/8 BOS-NRT-BOS in October and you're right...that's an awful lot of downtime for an asset. But they do that every single day. Our flights were nearly 100% full as near as I could tell. We get a Korean 789 into Boston every morning at around 9am and it goes back out at around 1pm along with the JAL flight. I don't know why JAL can't do what KE does.
https://my.flightradar24.com/ChrisNH

usflyer msp

Mon Dec 09, 2019 9:57 pm

ChrisNH38 wrote:
usflyer msp wrote:
PHLspecial wrote:

I took JAL 7/8 BOS-NRT-BOS in October and you're right...that's an awful lot of downtime for an asset. But they do that every single day. Our flights were nearly 100% full as near as I could tell. We get a Korean 789 into Boston every morning at around 9am and it goes back out at around 1pm along with the JAL flight. I don't know why JAL can't do what KE does.

JAL only has one bank of international flights at NRT, between 2pm and 6pm. A 6pm departure is going to get into PHL at around 5pm and it will need to leave PHL around 1pm to get back to NRT around 4pm. KE has the advantage of having multiple flight banks at ICN which gives them departure time flexibility. Leaving ICN in the morning for a 9am arrival in BOS is not a problem for them. JAL's morning bank is at HND.

ST165

Tue Dec 10, 2019 1:56 am

longhauler wrote:
I don’t know why this incorrect information arises on the site continuously.

First of all, AC has little to say with the present Singapore/Canada bilateral. Currently, SQ is free to fly to Canada as often as they like, to any city. Also, they can exercise fifth freedom rights up to four times a week, whether AC likes it or not.

But these fifth freedom rights must be agreeable to all three countries. Fine for Singapore and Canada, but if you think Canada is careful with its traffic rights, get a close look at Japan. I would be surprised if they allowed SQ to carry passengers between TYO and YVR, competing with NH and JL.

And why doesn’t Canada wish to extend fifth freedom rights to Singapore beyond four times a week? Because in the late 1980s, AC was flying LHR-BOM-SIN, four times a week as allowed, it was a successful route. (SQ’s SIN-ICN-YVR was not). When Canada asked for increased frequencies, it was denied. When Canada asked for increased gauge, it was denied. When Canada asked to operate a combi freighter on the route, it was denied. So ..... five years later when Singapore decides it wants more freedoms to Canada, what do you think the response was? Thus .... the bilateral has not changed much since then.

SQ's argument was that 3x weekly was not enough to maintain a long haul route - not sure if I'm convinced but that was their argument. Plus, the AC lobby is pretty powerful in Ottawa... In my opinion, Canada should have just let them - the benefit of further air service to the local economy is far greater than any possible negative effect on AC service. Also, I don't think Japan necessarily is more restrictive than Canada - they have a huge amount of fifth freedom rights. NW had a major hub, and at one point almost every South East Asian airline had a fifth freedom flight out of Japan, including SQ's NRT-LAX.

In regards to the LHR-BOM-SIN, I thought it was India who denied AC further rights and not SIN? From what I understand, Singapore is very liberal with their air rights, it would surprise me that they would block it.

centrair wrote:

I don't think JL's model is about transfer traffic. In fact, that was their pre-bankruptcy model, their post-bankruptcy model is primarily focused on high-yield O&D. They've shuttered a huge amount of Asian destinations out of NRT, including Seoul, and the HND hub is not really super well banked for Asia transfers. They've also made changes to their mileage program that heavily restricts mileage redemptions for transfers. You have to remember that JL has possibly the highest or second highest CASM among Asian carriers, and cannot compete with the low-cost Chinese carriers for the SEA traffic. I also don't know why you would say they are decades behind in trying to be more global, when pre-bankruptcy, JL was far more global than NH - in fact NH doesn't even have the international ASM now that JL had back in the 2000s. Even now, JL's international revenue is over half of their total revenue - 606 billion yen vs 553 billion yen for domestic : http://www.jal.com/en/csr/report/pdf/index_2019.pdf

longhauler

Tue Dec 10, 2019 3:30 am

ST165 wrote:
Canada should have just let them - the benefit of further air service to the local economy is far greater than any possible negative effect on AC service. Also, I don't think Japan necessarily is more restrictive than Canada - they have a huge amount of fifth freedom rights. NW had a major hub, and at one point almost every South East Asian airline had a fifth freedom flight out of Japan, including SQ's NRT-LAX.

Yes, that would be the "Canadian" thing to do ... let them have it, just because they asked. IMO, the main reason Singapore's requests were turned down, likely was because it was so soon after they had denied Canada's requests. Singapore was certainly in no hurry to let Canada "just have it".

For some insight about Japan and restrictions, look closely at the AC/CP merger and how very close the Japanese were watching the transaction and how very quick they would have pulled the NRT slots AC gained with the purchase of CP. The main reason NW (and PA) has such liberal rights into Japan was the same reason BE, PA and AF had rights into Berlin .... it was political as a result of WW2.

ST165 wrote:
In regards to the LHR-BOM-SIN, I thought it was India who denied AC further rights and not SIN? From what I understand, Singapore is very liberal with their air rights, it would surprise me that they would block it.

No, India was doing very well with the bilateral, as witnessed by Air India's success on the YYZ-LHR route. In fact, when Singapore finally "won" and AC pulled off the route, it continued as LHR-BOM. Who had a beef with the route was the UK, as AC was carrying a lot of fifth freedom passengers out of LHR. I had always found that very ironic, as for the previous two decades (yes decades) BA was carrying fifth freedom passengers between Canada and the US, enjoying the bilateral.

And you are right, Singapore is very liberal with air rights ... when it is in their favour. It would appear not so much when the reverse is true.
Just because I stopped arguing, doesn't mean I think you are right. It just means I gave up!

LAX772LR

Tue Dec 10, 2019 7:10 am

usflyer msp wrote:
I wonder if we might see JL do something interesting like a 3x weekly DFW-NGO flight for Toyota...

Always a possibility, though not sure why they'd bother, seeing as they weren't interested in doing so from LAX, and others (e.g. DL) who did do so, didn't last.
I myself, suspect a more prosaic motive... ~Thranduil

WorldspotterPL

Tue Dec 10, 2019 8:59 am

Hi guys,

to shed some light on the data: PDEW from Southeast/Far East Asia with at least one stop to some of the US-cities discussed (rounded):

Las Vegas 680 (780 incl. non-stop passengers)
Orlando 420
Miami 260
Phoenix 240
Philadelphia 130
Charlotte 80

With the top two not being AA hubs it seems interesting that JAL states it will do the route only partnering with AA.

Top one-stop city pairs between Southeast/Far East Asia and Florida (rounded):

TYO-MCO 110
MNL-MIA 65
PEK-MCO 40
PVG-MCO 40
MNL-MCO 40
HKG-MCO 35
ICN-MCO 30
TYO-MIA 30
BOM-MCO 25
BOM-MIA 25
HKG-MIA 25

I don't know enough about airline network management to say whether the hub at the MIA end can make up for 30 vs. 110 (MCO) O&D pax. Since long haul flights often have around 70% connecting passengers, it might be a closer call than you would think. Then again, where would the Japanese connect to from MIA since the big Japanese hot spot Sao Paolo is already covered by several other US hubs that are connected to Tokyo.

Cheers,
Paul

acentauri

Tue Dec 10, 2019 9:35 am

^^^^^^^^
In this case (U.S. - Japan), except for Orlando, current PDEW is somewhat misleading as a forecast for future non-stop flights. Once a NS is initiated for those cities, particularly the larger international connecting hubs (Miami and PHL), the Tokyo PDEW will likely be significantly stimulated. This is particularly relevant for the PHL catchment, which currently bleeds to drivable NYC and DC for East Asian non-stop traffic.

77H

Tue Dec 10, 2019 1:24 pm

BeachBoy wrote:
What is the US CBP pre-clearance progress at NRT?
Once that is in place I think NRT-OGG/LIH (with return via HNL due to runway length) will be launched.

I could see NRT-OGG working but I have doubts about LIH.
Also, I’m not sure JL would need a HNL tag on the return to JP. JL tends to have premium heavy WBs resulting in lower total seat counts. I think a 763 or 788 in JL’s lower density configurations may be able to pull off the return nonstop.

77H

LAXdude1023

Tue Dec 10, 2019 2:16 pm

I had forgotten how much bigger MCO was to Asia vs. MIA.
FOR THE LOVE OF GOD BRING BACK THE PAYWALL!!!!

Miami

Wed Dec 11, 2019 1:53 am

LAXdude1023 wrote:

The mouse does wonders.
Aviation is proof that given, the will, we have the capacity to achieve the impossible. - Eddie Rickenbacker

LAXdude1023

Wed Dec 11, 2019 2:16 am

Miami wrote:
LAXdude1023 wrote:

The mouse does wonders.

He turned a swampy forest into an attraction people come from every corner of the earth to see. Orlando and Las Vegas don’t have reasons to exist yet they’re huge on the global stage because of the tourism they’ve built up. I tip my hat to them for that.
FOR THE LOVE OF GOD BRING BACK THE PAYWALL!!!!

MAH4546

Wed Dec 11, 2019 6:15 pm

WorldspotterPL wrote:
Hi guys,

to shed some light on the data: PDEW from Southeast/Far East Asia with at least one stop to some of the US-cities discussed (rounded):

Orlando 420
Miami 260
Phoenix 240
Philadelphia 130
Charlotte 80

With the top two not being AA hubs it seems interesting that JAL states it will do the route only partnering with AA.

TYO-MCO 110
MNL-MIA 65
PEK-MCO 40
PVG-MCO 40
MNL-MCO 40
HKG-MCO 35
ICN-MCO 30
TYO-MIA 30
BOM-MCO 25
BOM-MIA 25
HKG-MIA 25

I don't know enough about airline network management to say whether the hub at the MIA end can make up for 30 vs. 110 (MCO) O&D pax. Since long haul flights often have around 70% connecting passengers, it might be a closer call than you would think. Then again, where would the Japanese connect to from MIA since the big Japanese hot spot Sao Paolo is already covered by several other US hubs that are connected to Tokyo.

Cheers,
Paul

Miami has two major airports, not one. Those numbers mean far less without including FLL. Markets that lack non-stops to both tend to be more evenly split between MIA and FLL than those that are served via one or the other. And keep in mind Emirates flies to Fort Lauderdale, which is also more centrally located to South Florida's Indian community.
a.

mcogator

Fri Dec 13, 2019 4:46 am

MAH4546 wrote:
WorldspotterPL wrote:
Hi guys,

Orlando 420
Miami 260
Phoenix 240
Philadelphia 130
Charlotte 80

TYO-MCO 110
MNL-MIA 65
PEK-MCO 40
PVG-MCO 40
MNL-MCO 40
HKG-MCO 35
ICN-MCO 30
TYO-MIA 30
BOM-MCO 25
BOM-MIA 25
HKG-MIA 25

Cheers,
Paul

Miami has two major airports, not one. Those numbers mean far less without including FLL. Markets that lack non-stops to both tend to be more evenly split between MIA and FLL than those that are served via one or the other. And keep in mind Emirates flies to Fort Lauderdale, which is also more centrally located to South Florida's Indian community.

Do you have the numbers for FLL?
“Traveling – it leaves you speechless, then turns you into a storyteller.” – Ibn Battuta

TWA772LR

Fri Dec 13, 2019 5:56 am

southwest1675 wrote:
Thinking it’ll be BNA with hourly service to NRT. Take it to the bank.

Absolutely wrong! It will clearly be half-hourly service to DTW.

;)
When wasn't America great?

The thoughts and opinions shared under this username are mine and are not influenced by my employer.

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos