Moderators: jsumali2, richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

AirBourne

Re: Manchester (UK) Thread - 2020

Sat May 23, 2020 6:33 pm

User001 wrote:
AirBourne wrote:
So after years of rumours about Kuwait which have all came to nothing they are now about to start flights with virtually no lead in time, in the midst of a global pandemic which has all but killed international air travel and at a time when anyone entering the country has to isolate themselves for two weeks? Pull the other one!

If you have an issue with it, speak to KU, there the ones who are starting the route. Maybe they should take more directions from forum CEO's, it's where they have clearly been going wrong all this time.

Haha, maybe. But surely now is the worst possible time for any airline to be starting any new route? When even the mighty Emirates have grounded their fleets what chance does Kuwait have?

User001

Sun May 24, 2020 1:54 pm

TAP adding a nightstopping flight this winter and a 3rd daily on some days.

Luftymatt

Sun May 24, 2020 8:05 pm

DobboDobbo wrote:
Luftymatt wrote:
I did read somewhere that Delhi is just postponed for this year, does anyone know how true this is?

I imagine that the word “postponed” reflects the most politically astute way of saying “cancelled”!

It might be postponed in the sense that the aspiration remains to launch Delhi from Manchester in time, but the truth is more likely that there is no timeframe on it and the airline itself might not last long enough to see through that plan in any event.

If VS is still flying in 2022 and the world is back to something approaching normality, I’d say there is a good chance Delhi, Cegas and perhaps elsewhere come back in the radar for VS at Manchester.

Very probably you're right. I think after the success of Jet Airways on the BOM route, they'd be fools not to keep it on the back burner though.
chase the sun

br2008

Tue May 26, 2020 2:43 am

I do wonder how the bookings were showing for the VS delhi flight?
Cleared for Takeoff From Scotland

planecrazy20

Thu May 28, 2020 5:30 pm

AirBourne wrote:
User001 wrote:
AirBourne wrote:
So after years of rumours about Kuwait which have all came to nothing they are now about to start flights with virtually no lead in time, in the midst of a global pandemic which has all but killed international air travel and at a time when anyone entering the country has to isolate themselves for two weeks? Pull the other one!

If you have an issue with it, speak to KU, there the ones who are starting the route. Maybe they should take more directions from forum CEO's, it's where they have clearly been going wrong all this time.

Haha, maybe. But surely now is the worst possible time for any airline to be starting any new route? When even the mighty Emirates have grounded their fleets what chance does Kuwait have?

Kuwait Airport is currently closed, except for repatriation flights and cargo. I assume this flight might have been part of KU's pre-covid schedule. There certainly is a large tourist and student demand from Kuwait to the Northern UK (KU operated 11 Repatriation flights on their 777's out of Manchester and Glasgow), and KU loses a majority of these passengers to the ME3 and KLM. I do anticipate them to launch Manchester at some point, but it most likely wont be July. We probably won't know until Kuwait reopens its borders and the airport is allowed to handle commercial passenger flights again.

sk736

Thu May 28, 2020 5:47 pm

User001 wrote:
TAP adding a nightstopping flight this winter and a 3rd daily on some days.

With a 5am departure from MAN, which seems odd. Is this aimed at connecting passengers?

User001

Thu May 28, 2020 5:47 pm

The KU slots were applied for during lockdown

User001

Thu May 28, 2020 7:23 pm

Iran Air have applied to serve Tehran-Manchester 1 weekly:

https://airportrumours.blogspot.com/202 ... rvice.html

Seems like someone forgot to inform MAN that the industry is in Crisis. That's THG air and Luxair confirmed, Kuwait and Iran Air applying for slots (in lockdown may I add, not before lockdown) and another airline supposedly waiting in the wings.

All rather bizzare to be honest.

8herveg

Thu May 28, 2020 8:41 pm

Why are all these new airlines starting the flights so soon too? Even outside of the current climate that would be quite odd, no?

DobboDobbo

Thu May 28, 2020 8:51 pm

Luftymatt wrote:
Very probably you're right. I think after the success of Jet Airways on the BOM route, they'd be fools not to keep it on the back burner though.

Agreed - a couple of “ifs” but if VS survives and if (perhaps more likely when) the economy gets back to something like normality I’m sure a MAN-BOM route will come back on the radar. As I understand it biggest issue might be that it is better served from the Indian end from a Utilisation perspective.

br2008 wrote:
I do wonder how the bookings were showing for the VS delhi flight?

As it was immediately extended to the summer from winter only it is probably safe to say it was at least in line with VS’s expectations - all a moot point now but perhaps helpful in the future.

AirBourne

Thu May 28, 2020 8:53 pm

8herveg wrote:
Why are all these new airlines starting the flights so soon too? Even outside of the current climate that would be quite odd, no?

Would be amazed to see these routes start, it’s been reported today that traffic coming into the U.K. has fallen by 99% and with the new quarantine regulations coming into play next month that is not a situation that is going to change anytime soon. The aviation industry is facing it’s worst crisis since 9/11....probably even worse and yet we’re lead to believe all these new airlines are flocking to MAN? Bizarre isn’t the word.

DobboDobbo

Thu May 28, 2020 9:01 pm

AirBourne wrote:
8herveg wrote:

Would be amazed to see these routes start, it’s been reported today that traffic coming into the U.K. has fallen by 99% and with the new quarantine regulations coming into play next month that is not a situation that is going to change anytime soon. The aviation industry is facing it’s worst crisis since 9/11....probably even worse and yet we’re lead to believe all these new airlines are flocking to MAN? Bizarre isn’t the word.

I’d be amazed to see these start in the next month or two when as I understand it the slots have been applied for. As you say the quarantine rules pretty much block the industry from Operating at all to inbound tourists (apparently MANs weakest market segment).

However is it a surprise to see interest in running services from Manchester to Kuwait and Iran? Not really.

User001

Thu May 28, 2020 9:13 pm

Well there is some method as to why these flights are starting, but given this site has a rather aggressive counter approach to many topics, Ill now just report the fact the routes are starting/applied for and leave the discussion to rumble on.

AirBourne

Thu May 28, 2020 9:15 pm

DobboDobbo wrote:
AirBourne wrote:
8herveg wrote:

I’d be amazed to see these start in the next month or two when as I understand it the slots have been applied for. As you say the quarantine rules pretty much block the industry from Operating at all to inbound tourists (apparently MANs weakest market segment).

However is it a surprise to see interest in running services from Manchester to Kuwait and Iran? Not really.

But just not at this time, Kuwait aren’t even flying to LHR at the moment and when those flights resume it will take a while for passenger levels to return to what they were so forgive me for wondering why they would even consider a second U.K. point? Same for Iran Air really. Perhaps it’s some sort of back up measure incase LHR slots become unaffordable? But even then LGW or STN would be the more obvious choice?

DobboDobbo

Thu May 28, 2020 9:24 pm

AirBourne wrote:
DobboDobbo wrote:
AirBourne wrote:

But just not at this time, Kuwait aren’t even flying to LHR at the moment and when those flights resume it will take a while for passenger levels to return to what they were so forgive me for wondering why they would even consider a second U.K. point? Same for Iran Air really. Perhaps it’s some sort of back up measure incase LHR slots become unaffordable? But even then LGW or STN would be the more obvious choice?

I agree I cannot see a new route starting whilst operations are shut down to LHR. Who knows about passenger levels, but there are always opportunities in all sectors when markets are disrupted. In the case of MAN I think it has (or had) the second largest passenger flows to the Middle East in Europe. If QR,EK, EY et al take too long to reintroduce their capacity there might be the chance to take market share.

I don’t know whether LGW / STN would be a better second UK port of entry, what I think the pattern of services in recent years have demonstrated is that MAN has likely been underserved and this may play into the airlines consideration.

Luftymatt

Mon Jun 01, 2020 11:24 pm

User001 wrote:
Well there is some method as to why these flights are starting, but given this site has a rather aggressive counter approach to many topics, Ill now just report the fact the routes are starting/applied for and leave the discussion to rumble on.

Oh go on, do tell :)
chase the sun

Boeing74741R

Tue Jun 02, 2020 8:08 am

User001 wrote:

Ignore those questioning your knowledge and insight. I for one enjoy it. :thumbsup:

Thinking about the timings, the only thing I can think of is that these airlines may have had MAN in their sights for some time and with a number of airlines cutting back/going under prior to, and during, COVID-19, they've taken the opportunity to swoop in for the appropriate slots whilst everyone else is distracted by COVID-19 and operating in survival mode. If anything, I think it's great that airlines are making plans for a post-COVID-19 world and see MAN as part of it.

Time will tell of course if these routes are successful. I remember Mahan Air serving MAN in the past, so Iran Air entering the MAN market isn't that far-fetched. I didn't really see Oman Air coming into the market for instance, but they seem to be doing well.

User001

Tue Jun 02, 2020 4:53 pm

Air France increases to 4 daily starting March 26th 2021, with the introduction of a night stopping flight.

This fills an early outbound gap left since their flybe partnership had to end with the latters bankruptcy.
As flybe and Air France were JV partners on MAN-CDG, BE ran the early morning flight due to BE basing at MAN and saved costs for AF not having to nightstop at MAN to give that early outbound. The BE partnership meant MAN-CDG was 7 daily between the 2, with all flights bookable on each others website.

Very welcome all the same.

Luftymatt

Wed Jun 03, 2020 9:07 pm

User001 wrote:
Air France increases to 4 daily starting March 26th 2021, with the introduction of a night stopping flight.

This fills an early outbound gap left since their flybe partnership had to end with the latters bankruptcy.
As flybe and Air France were JV partners on MAN-CDG, BE ran the early morning flight due to BE basing at MAN and saved costs for AF not having to nightstop at MAN to give that early outbound. The BE partnership meant MAN-CDG was 7 daily between the 2, with all flights bookable on each others website.

Very welcome all the same.

That is good news. Hopefully in time they'll go back to six times daily, like they used to be before the FlyBe JV.
chase the sun

RichardSpotter

Sat Jun 13, 2020 4:27 pm

Seen suggestions elsewhere that United won’t be returning for the foreseeable future (previously it looked like they’d return at the start of the winter timetable). Anyone got any further insight?

AirBourne

Sat Jun 13, 2020 8:28 pm

It’s no longer bookable but LHR and EDI are so it’s not looking good.

SeanM1997

Sat Jun 13, 2020 8:35 pm

AirBourne wrote:

Its just a technical problem - try again next week

User001

Sat Jun 20, 2020 12:46 pm

Iran Air now confirmed for a July 4th Start on its 1 weekly IKA-MAN. Its on sale via Iranian agencies such as Alibaba.

Reminder of the times:

https://airportrumours.blogspot.com/202 ... e.html?m=1

DobboDobbo

Sat Jun 20, 2020 3:01 pm

Sadly it looks as though UA have pulled out of MAN for the time being - incredible what a turnaround this has been when a short time ago the mood music was about adding ORD or IAD - but as with most airlines they are in survival mode right now.

Source: @SPD_travels on Twitter.

Onlyturnright

Sat Jun 20, 2020 4:03 pm

SeanM1997 wrote:
AirBourne wrote:

I know someone who works for UA at MAN...they are not returning.

marcogr12

Sat Jun 20, 2020 7:23 pm

User001 wrote:
Iran Air now confirmed for a July 4th Start on its 1 weekly IKA-MAN. Its on sale via Iranian agencies such as Alibaba.

Reminder of the times:

https://airportrumours.blogspot.com/202 ... e.html?m=1

With Britain still in a far worse situtation than other countries Covid-wise i don't think it's prudent to open flights with a country that's even worse than Britain..UK had 1295 new cases yesterday and Iran 2322..US,Brasil,Iran,Turkey,India,Chile,Qatar,S.Arabia,Bangladesh,Pakistan,S.Africa,Egypt and UK are in the pits right now..Importing or exchanging more cases between countries that are suffering badly, is not a great idea
Flying is breathing..no planes no life..

AirBourne

Sat Jun 20, 2020 8:12 pm

If Iran Air have been allowed to operate into MAN for political rather than commercial reasons then this government is even more inept than I thought.

SueD

Sat Jun 20, 2020 9:33 pm

AirBourne wrote:
If Iran Air have been allowed to operate into MAN for political rather than commercial reasons then this government is even more inept than I thought.

There are some very important Humanitarian reasons you might like to research !

And yes a significant local Iranian and Iraqi diaspora and market in Manchester, especially the Shia Muslims that will take advantage of the pilgrimage opportunities to Najaf and Qom via Tehran.

by738

Sat Jun 20, 2020 10:05 pm

Onlyturnright wrote:
SeanM1997 wrote:
AirBourne wrote:

Yet some elsewhere are expecting big upgrades, upguages and widebodies...and thats for this summer..

Skyblue39

Sat Jun 20, 2020 10:53 pm

by738 wrote:
Onlyturnright wrote:
SeanM1997 wrote:

Yet some elsewhere are expecting big upgrades, upguages and widebodies...and thats for this summer..

United Airlines in previous week’s schedule update (weekend of 12JUN20) removed Newark – Manchester schedule, previously scheduled to resume on 24OCT20. Operational schedule for flights in summer 2021 season is also removed and no longer available for reservation.

https://www.routesonline.com/news/38/ai ... e-20200620

AirBourne

Sun Jun 21, 2020 7:00 am

MAN’s US services have taken a real blow over the past few years;

American/US - Charlotte, Chicago, New York
Delta/Virgin - Boston, Las Vegas, San Francisco
Thomas Cook - Boston, Las Vegas, Los Angeles, Miami, New York, Orlando, San Francisco, Seattle
United - Newark, Washington

All gone - who would have thought MAN would lose long standing services to Newark and Chicago but would gain a link to Houston!

SueD

Sun Jun 21, 2020 8:56 am

AirBourne wrote:
MAN’s US services have taken a real blow over the past few years;

American/US - Charlotte, Chicago, New York
Delta/Virgin - Boston, Las Vegas, San Francisco
Thomas Cook - Boston, Las Vegas, Los Angeles, Miami, New York, Orlando, San Francisco, Seattle
United - Newark, Washington

All gone - who would have thought MAN would lose long standing services to Newark and Chicago but would gain a link to Houston!

The entire USA-UK aviation market is currently in free fall !

Hence a certain Pan European carrier that has built their entire profit base and operating strategy on the North Atlantic are in the process of negotiating massive redundancies reducing capacity and removing more than 10% of their operating fleet .

American are said to be on the verge of Chapter 11 protection (don’t know how true though)

United had already determined (pre COVID19) that the regional Atlantic workhorse 757 were to be redeployed .

Delta are directing Virgin on a survival strategy ( consolidation in the short to medium term and post COVID19)

Thomas Cook UK group fell victim to a UK (pre COVID19) government pledged to non intervention whilst both partners in Scandinavia and Germany have found support .

We will see some more millions of unemployed from the autumn ,various tax increases and a financially severely squeezed middle class for a very long time.

Combined with Brexit the next several years are gong to be torrid I am afraid.

DobboDobbo

Sun Jun 21, 2020 9:24 am

Quite - the US routes lost at MAN so far (we are not out of this by any means) because of the coronavirus pandemic are VS to LAS, DL to BOS, UA to EWR. (I have since heard that UA intend to return next June - but how much an intention turns to reality remains to be seen and how realistic it is at that time is an open question - UA also have to survive for example).

It could have been far worse had VS not effectively decided to prioritise MAN over LGW.

If you look at this on a cyclical basis (MAN does not have a state supported / backed national carrier) and compare the planned operations for Summer 2021 to 2010, 2021 compares favourably. Provided VS survives MAN is well placed to grow from 2022 onwards - and that is the timeframe MAN (and many others) are faced with to return to some semblance of normality

David_itl

Sun Jun 21, 2020 3:20 pm

Ira Air's service to Tehrani now in the Iranian press

https://ifpnews.com/iran-resumes-direct-flights-to-manchester?fbclid=IwAR3nElOueg6L7dSaFoJ-CmnWWu5et-_wCtmxgUEaxnC8FhYycTsfe5iq5bM
_____

This is a bit unexpected. 9 KU flights previously, now at least 3 more flights to Kuwait and still we wait for the scheduled service announcement!

AL Jazeera Airways began its preparations to operate flights (Kuwait – Manchester – Kuwait) from 5 to 7 July https://kuwaitlocal.com/news/aljazeera-operates-kuwait-to-manchester-flights

DobboDobbo

Sat Jul 04, 2020 12:19 pm

First service into MAN by Iran Air today.

It seems ludicrous to me that in the current economic and health climate a new / resumed route of this nature can be launched, but there we go.

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos