Moderators: jsumali2, richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

tcfc424

Re: Austin Texas Aviation Thread - 2020

Wed Mar 25, 2020 6:46 pm

On the bright side, at least we're operating below capacity for the first time in several years!

malev2012

Thu Mar 26, 2020 7:44 pm

In light of the new Executive Order from Abbott will airlines cancel flights from JFK EWR and MSY?
Airlines flown: AA, AB, AC, AY, BA, CO, DL, DY, EW, F9, G4, IB, KL, LH, LX, NK, NW, NZ, OS, QF, SN, TP, UA, US, VA, VC, WN, XE

N626AA

Thu Mar 26, 2020 9:02 pm

Fellow Austinite here. Most air traffic from the West starts to bank south over my neighborhood (Parmer & Mopac area) to line up on 17R or L. Eerily quiet the last few days :cry:
A306 319 320 321 332 333 343 B722 733 734 735 737 738 744 752 762 763 772 773 DC93 DC1040 MD82/83/88 MD90 CRJ2 CRJ7 CRJ9 E140 E145/45X DHQ3 ATR7

WN732

Fri Mar 27, 2020 2:36 am

N626AA wrote:
Fellow Austinite here. Most air traffic from the West starts to bank south over my neighborhood (Parmer & Mopac area) to line up on 17R or L. Eerily quiet the last few days :cry:

Yep I live in Hutto and I haven't seen or heard nearly as many birds as I used to. I was so glad to move out there because of my neighborhood being under the arrival path.

Wacko55

Mon Mar 30, 2020 1:24 am

Wacko55 wrote:
With the virus gaining steam I predict TATL service will be decimated at AUS with BA being the only one left standing, reducing service to 2-3x weekly. DI is done and with that no more LGW and CDG will never happen. LH will suspend service to FRA and more than likely probably never return. KLM will postpone new service to AMS and more than likely never start the route. It's inevitable, medium sized airports are going to really be affected by this damn virus.

I was wrong with my prediction. BA also suspended service. I don't see TATL service returning any time soon, if ever. I don't think people have come to the realization how long it will take the industry to climb out of this abyss. It's cataclysmic. AUS won't be needing an expansion anytime soon due to the virus. This is going to hurt for years......

Western727

Mon Mar 30, 2020 12:26 pm

Wacko55 wrote:
Wacko55 wrote:
With the virus gaining steam I predict TATL service will be decimated at AUS with BA being the only one left standing, reducing service to 2-3x weekly. DI is done and with that no more LGW and CDG will never happen. LH will suspend service to FRA and more than likely probably never return. KLM will postpone new service to AMS and more than likely never start the route. It's inevitable, medium sized airports are going to really be affected by this damn virus.

I was wrong with my prediction. BA also suspended service. I don't see TATL service returning any time soon, if ever. I don't think people have come to the realization how long it will take the industry to climb out of this abyss. It's cataclysmic. AUS won't be needing an expansion anytime soon due to the virus. This is going to hurt for years......

"This is going to hurt for years", said Wacko55...and I agree. To wit, a quick scan just now of AUS's realtime departures info for today shows 190 scheduled flights up to 1920 local time...and 112 cancellations. That's about a 59% cancellation rate.
Jack @ AUS

WN732

Mon Mar 30, 2020 1:54 pm

Western727 wrote:
Wacko55 wrote:
Wacko55 wrote:

"This is going to hurt for years", said Wacko55...and I agree. To wit, a quick scan just now of AUS's realtime departures info for today shows 190 scheduled flights up to 1920 local time...and 112 cancellations. That's about a 59% cancellation rate.

Part of that was due to the Houston Center ATC 0 issue.

malev2012

Mon Mar 30, 2020 2:24 pm

WN732 wrote:
Western727 wrote:
Wacko55 wrote:

Honestly airlines can't cut flights fast enough to keep up with the lack of demand. TSA throughput is down 91% and yet flights aren't cut anywhere near that number. Honestly a two week pause to passenger flights is warranted at this point.
Airlines flown: AA, AB, AC, AY, BA, CO, DL, DY, EW, F9, G4, IB, KL, LH, LX, NK, NW, NZ, OS, QF, SN, TP, UA, US, VA, VC, WN, XE

Western727

Mon Mar 30, 2020 3:32 pm

malev2012 wrote:
WN732 wrote:
Western727 wrote:

Honestly airlines can't cut flights fast enough to keep up with the lack of demand. TSA throughput is down 91% and yet flights aren't cut anywhere near that number. Honestly a two week pause to passenger flights is warranted at this point.

91%?! :o

...still, I don't think many of us should be surprised by that.
Jack @ AUS

khowaga

Wed Apr 01, 2020 9:14 pm

Wacko55 wrote:
Wacko55 wrote:

BA suspended service because the US government’s ban on travel to Europe was extended to include Britain, and AUS was not one of the airports authorized to receive European-originating flights during that period. DI suspended LGW at the same time, for the same reason.

The question of whether either carrier is able to return once things begin to normalize is another issue altogether.

Western727

Thu Apr 02, 2020 2:59 pm

khowaga wrote:
Wacko55 wrote:
Wacko55 wrote:

BA suspended service because the US government’s ban on travel to Europe was extended to include Britain, and AUS was not one of the airports authorized to receive European-originating flights during that period. DI suspended LGW at the same time, for the same reason.

The question of whether either carrier is able to return once things begin to normalize is another issue altogether.

Your choice of words in "...begin to normalize..." is very fitting. Gonna be a long recovery for sure.
Jack @ AUS

jjbiv

Sun Apr 05, 2020 12:42 am

Does anyone know how the UT spring breakers traveled to SJD on a charter flight? I tried searching FlightAware but the flight was just a little too long ago to find it once the news broke.

Ishrion

Thu Apr 09, 2020 7:37 pm

Looks like KLM’s AMS-AUS flight is no longer available. I don’t think it’s available through the entire year.

tcfc424

Thu Apr 09, 2020 8:42 pm

The spring breakers traveled on a chartered Viva Aerobus aircraft. The local news was the source for my information.

malev2012

Fri Apr 10, 2020 12:39 am

Ishrion wrote:
Looks like KLM’s AMS-AUS flight is no longer available. I don’t think it’s available through the entire year.

My booking for the fall still showing. Guessing that will change after a schedule change Sunday.

CPS001

Fri Apr 10, 2020 3:38 am

Any idea on when LH will resume? I'm flying them in May and August.

bravotango75

Fri Apr 10, 2020 6:21 am

I sincerely doubt that AUS, IAH or DFW will see any resumption of int'l service on the scale that it was prior to Covid. On top of that, the slide in the price of oil will have a huge impact on Houston's marginal routes like Lome, Taipei, Istanbul. Most of the tentative re-start skeds that have been published are focusing on the main, prestige, established routes, JFK, LA, Chicago, MIA and of course BOS.

Sorry Texas, y'all gave it a good shot, one day maybe you will be able to play in the Big Leagues.

bravotango75

Fri Apr 10, 2020 6:23 am

tcfc424 wrote:
The spring breakers traveled on a chartered Viva Aerobus aircraft. The local news was the source for my information.

Those the idiots (70 I believe) that flew down to Mexico and now 20 have the virus.....? Oh, sweet Karma...

malev2012

Fri Apr 10, 2020 1:57 pm

bravotango75 wrote:
I sincerely doubt that AUS, IAH or DFW will see any resumption of int'l service on the scale that it was prior to Covid. On top of that, the slide in the price of oil will have a huge impact on Houston's marginal routes like Lome, Taipei, Istanbul. Most of the tentative re-start skeds that have been published are focusing on the main, prestige, established routes, JFK, LA, Chicago, MIA and of course BOS.

Sorry Texas, y'all gave it a good shot, one day maybe you will be able to play in the Big Leagues.

I know DFW international service will be fine (its the world's largest Airlines most profitable hub) and have more international destinations served than BOS easily, IAH to a lesser extent. For AUS the BA route is the most likely to remain. It may take a few years to gain back LH. AUS is just too affluent a market to ignore long term.

CALMSP

Fri Apr 10, 2020 2:15 pm

CPS001 wrote:
Any idea on when LH will resume? I'm flying them in May and August.

sadly, I don't think LH in AUS will be before summer '21. UA/LH will decide to keep everything routed through IAH and other UA hubs. I don't think BA will be back this year either.

AMALH747430

Fri Apr 10, 2020 3:36 pm

I don't think that AUS will see TATL service resume for quite some time. This recession is going to put a damper on business travel for quite some time. I think folks will be anxious to get out after this is over but economic conditions may make leisure consumers much more price sensitive. Cash strapped airlines will operate on a much stricter hub and spoke model like we saw in the 2000s. You'll see something similar to what AA and CO (now UA) operated from DFW and IAH during those times. Both flew to major partner hubs and major markets. AA had LHR/LGW, CDG, FRA, ZRH (dropped when LX went to Star), and MAD (added when the IB relationship deepend) from DFW. CO had LGW/LHR, FRA, AMS, and CDG (downgauged to a 762 after CO joined Star and dropped after CO merged with UA) from IAH. Anything beyond that was handled by the hubs in bigger/coastal markets. CO had a very large transatlantic network but it was mainly served from EWR. AA transported a large number of passengers across the Atlantic (due to their massive LHR/LGW operation) but did not have a big footprint in Europe at the time, preferring to funnel most passengers through LHR/LGW.

AUS will be in a tough spot because it will again be easier and wiser financially for AA/BA and UA/LH to simply transport passengers to their hubs via a 30-40 minute connecting flight than lose money flying TATL from a nearby outstation. I also see airlines with immunized joint ventures making the most of that in the days of reduced demand. Back in the 2000s, KL/NW had an arrangement at one time where (for the most part, there were exceptions) NW operated all of the AMS-NW hub flights (AMS-DTW, MSP, MEM) and KL took care of most major US markets that were not NW hubs. When you called KL reservations in the US, NW answered the phone. I think in the lean times that follow this crisis, you will see AA/IAG, UA/LH Group, and DL/KL/AF revert back to this for a while. We may even see EU carriers pull out of some major hubs for competitors (non Star carriers in Houston, non Oneworld carriers in Dallas/Ft. Worth) besides the mid-sized markets like AUS.

I think this will extend to the domestic front as well. I grew up near SAT. In the 1990s airlines mainly served SAT and AUS from their "nearest" hubs. UA only flew to ORD and DEN (no SFO, LAX or IAD), CO only to IAH (with one daily EWR), AA only to DFW and ORD (no MIA or JFK). etc... There were a couple of odd ball routes thrown in there (DL SAT-AUS-SLC and AA had AUS-HOU-LGA to get around the perimeter rule). I think we may see a retrenchment to this type of operation. Obviously it won't go all the way back to that because airlines now have aircraft like the E170/75 and CR7/9 that can serve these further and somewhat "thinner" hub routes.

In short, I think the TX market is going to go back to being very DFW/DAL and IAH/HOU centric. AUS will probably be relegated to a simple outstation for quite some time.

BNAMealer

Fri Apr 10, 2020 4:45 pm

AMALH747430 wrote:
I don't think that AUS will see TATL service resume for quite some time. This recession is going to put a damper on business travel for quite some time. I think folks will be anxious to get out after this is over but economic conditions may make leisure consumers much more price sensitive. Cash strapped airlines will operate on a much stricter hub and spoke model like we saw in the 2000s. You'll see something similar to what AA and CO (now UA) operated from DFW and IAH during those times. Both flew to major partner hubs and major markets. AA had LHR/LGW, CDG, FRA, ZRH (dropped when LX went to Star), and MAD (added when the IB relationship deepend) from DFW. CO had LGW/LHR, FRA, AMS, and CDG (downgauged to a 762 after CO joined Star and dropped after CO merged with UA) from IAH. Anything beyond that was handled by the hubs in bigger/coastal markets. CO had a very large transatlantic network but it was mainly served from EWR. AA transported a large number of passengers across the Atlantic (due to their massive LHR/LGW operation) but did not have a big footprint in Europe at the time, preferring to funnel most passengers through LHR/LGW.

AUS will be in a tough spot because it will again be easier and wiser financially for AA/BA and UA/LH to simply transport passengers to their hubs via a 30-40 minute connecting flight than lose money flying TATL from a nearby outstation. I also see airlines with immunized joint ventures making the most of that in the days of reduced demand. Back in the 2000s, KL/NW had an arrangement at one time where (for the most part, there were exceptions) NW operated all of the AMS-NW hub flights (AMS-DTW, MSP, MEM) and KL took care of most major US markets that were not NW hubs. When you called KL reservations in the US, NW answered the phone. I think in the lean times that follow this crisis, you will see AA/IAG, UA/LH Group, and DL/KL/AF revert back to this for a while. We may even see EU carriers pull out of some major hubs for competitors (non Star carriers in Houston, non Oneworld carriers in Dallas/Ft. Worth) besides the mid-sized markets like AUS.

I think this will extend to the domestic front as well. I grew up near SAT. In the 1990s airlines mainly served SAT and AUS from their "nearest" hubs. UA only flew to ORD and DEN (no SFO, LAX or IAD), CO only to IAH (with one daily EWR), AA only to DFW and ORD (no MIA or JFK). etc... There were a couple of odd ball routes thrown in there (DL SAT-AUS-SLC and AA had AUS-HOU-LGA to get around the perimeter rule). I think we may see a retrenchment to this type of operation. Obviously it won't go all the way back to that because airlines now have aircraft like the E170/75 and CR7/9 that can serve these further and somewhat "thinner" hub routes.

In short, I think the TX market is going to go back to being very DFW/DAL and IAH/HOU centric. AUS will probably be relegated to a simple outstation for quite some time.

I'm gonna take a less pessimistic view. I agree with your analysis for the short term, but when things begin to rebound (even if it is a few years down the road), I think BA will come back to AUS.

That said, a lot will. depend on how the market takes shape in the post-virus recovery. Personally, I believe the market is going to shift back to a primarily hub & spoke model, so don't think we will see as much secondary market TATL service in the next upward period other than in strong markets like AUS/RDU/BNA, etc.

Things are really up in the air right now....

Ishrion

Fri Apr 10, 2020 4:47 pm

I’m gonna assume AA cancelled AUS-BOS/SJC/SJD right before they began?

Midwestindy

Fri Apr 10, 2020 4:58 pm

Ishrion wrote:
I’m gonna assume AA cancelled AUS-BOS/SJC/SJD right before they began?

Start date moved to August a few weeks ago
Status for 2019/2020: AAdvantage Platinum, Delta Gold, Southwest A-List

TexStones

Sat Apr 11, 2020 3:56 pm

BNAMealer wrote:
I'm gonna take a less pessimistic view. I agree with your analysis for the short term, but when things begin to rebound (even if it is a few years down the road), I think BA will come back to AUS.

This. Austin was a very affluent, very wealthy city with a burgeoning business community before the current unpleasantness, and remain so as soon as the new normal takes hold. Austin may not regain TATL service as soon as the hub markets, but will be among the first non-hub airports in the US to resume these operations.

The question is how soon that happens, which is anyone's guess. My personal take is that BA will resume 4x/weekly service AUS-LHR before next year's SXSW event, perhaps even sooner if the fall F1 race takes place.

Ishrion

Sun Apr 12, 2020 3:24 pm

Looks like KLM will launch Austin on March 28, 2021 now.

However, it's with the 787-9 instead of A330-300.

https://www.routesonline.com/news/38/ai ... f-11apr20/

YoungDon

Sun Apr 12, 2020 6:18 pm

bravotango75 wrote:

Well, given that both IAH and DFW had more international passengers and more international destinations than BOS pre-Covid, I think Texas will be just fine in the long term. AUS will get its international flights back at some point, though it will probably be a year or two before everything is humming along as it was a month or two ago. Short term we're unfortunately all feeling the pain.

If you're going to troll, at least try to do it a bit better.

Western727

Mon Apr 20, 2020 3:42 pm

Forgive me if this has already been answered, but will the pandemic have an impact on the AUS 2040 Master Plan?
Jack @ AUS

Mikey711MN

Mon Apr 20, 2020 4:10 pm

Western727 wrote:
Forgive me if this has already been answered, but will the pandemic have an impact on the AUS 2040 Master Plan?

Since the Plan was based on a certain rate of growth in demand, any capacity improvements in the Plan would still exist but their timing is likely going to be wildly different.

-Mike
I plan on living forever. So far, so good...

Western727

Mon Apr 20, 2020 6:35 pm

Mikey711MN wrote:
Western727 wrote:

Since the Plan was based on a certain rate of growth in demand, any capacity improvements in the Plan would still exist but their timing is likely going to be wildly different.

Wholeheartedly agree. I wonder what will get pushed back and by how much. If anyone has any insight into that and can share here, please do. TIA.
Jack @ AUS

Mikey711MN

Thu Apr 23, 2020 8:19 pm

Western727 wrote:
Mikey711MN wrote:
Western727 wrote:

Wholeheartedly agree. I wonder what will get pushed back and by how much. If anyone has any insight into that and can share here, please do. TIA.

Chapter 4 of the Master Plan - http://www.abiamasterplan.com/pdf-chapter/c4.pdf - will be your biggest guide since the timing of various landside and airside improvements was based on the various planning levels.

For example, the as-is collection of gates and RON positions aligns to meet an approximate demand for 16M annual passengers. Timing for additional gates and RON spaces was triggered by 18M, 22M, and 31M progressively through the end of the Plan period (2040). So if 3 more gates and 6 more RON positions were originally needed when 18M annual passengers were originally planned for 2022 in the high growth scenario (that the airport was certainly trending towards) but may not actually see that demand until 2030, then whatever projects are associated with adding these gates/RON positions would be delayed from 2022 to 2030.

Ultimately, I'm drastically oversimplifying the planning process, but that's the basic gist of it: if your demand is offset whereby certain planning levels are delayed until year X+8, then the facilities needed to meet that demand only need to be online by year X+8 rather than as originally planned in year X.

-Mike
I plan on living forever. So far, so good...

Western727

Wed Apr 29, 2020 1:05 pm

"JetBlue aims to drop 16 "major hub" destinations from its network" https://paxex.aero/2020/04/jetblue-aims ... s-network/

Why are IAH and DFW part of the list, while AUS isn't? We all know how small B6 is at AUS, so I'm curious what you folks think of this.
Jack @ AUS

tphuang

Wed Apr 29, 2020 1:57 pm

Western727 wrote:
"JetBlue aims to drop 16 "major hub" destinations from its network" https://paxex.aero/2020/04/jetblue-aims ... s-network/

Why are IAH and DFW part of the list, while AUS isn't? We all know how small B6 is at AUS, so I'm curious what you folks think of this.

BOS-AUS has no competition right now and it also doesn't have dominant legacy hub there. JFK-AUS also has nobody operating at the moment. So their LF here probably isn't as terrible as to the legacy hubs.

jjbiv

Wed Apr 29, 2020 2:28 pm

The DoT signaled in response to Sun Country's request for relief that they will allow smaller airlines to drop service from large hub airports (>1% of all enplanements). Other airlines are now asking for the same relief. Austin is not a large hub airport per the definition the DoT is using so I would not expect to see the DoT grant any requests from airlines to drop service to Austin.

ahj2000

Wed Apr 29, 2020 4:13 pm

tphuang wrote:
Western727 wrote:

BOS-AUS has no competition right now and it also doesn't have dominant legacy hub there. JFK-AUS also has nobody operating at the moment. So their LF here probably isn't as terrible as to the legacy hubs.

Don't forget that B6 is even smaller at IAH and especially DFW. DFW only has BOS flights. IAH has BOS and JFK. AUS has JFK, BOS, FLL, MCO, and LGB (all pre-Covid). Keeping a daily flight to Dallas when it's also served by American and Southwest (via DAL) has to be a money burner right now.
-Andrés Juánez

Western727

Wed Apr 29, 2020 5:32 pm

Thanks tphuang, jjbiv and ahj2000 for your replies, all of which make sense.
Jack @ AUS

WN732

Fri May 08, 2020 2:26 am

Apparently someone was killed on Runway 17R - possibly being hit by a Southwest jet on its landing rollout.

Aircraft was N401WN operating WN1392 from DAL.

https://www.kvue.com/article/news/local ... 058f61f532
Last edited by WN732 on Fri May 08, 2020 2:30 am, edited 1 time in total.

jreuschl

Fri May 08, 2020 2:32 am

WN732 wrote:
Apparently someone was killed on Runway 17R - possibly being hit by a Southwest jet on its landing rollout.

Aircraft was N401WN operating WN1392 from DAL.

https://www.kvue.com/article/news/local ... 058f61f532
https://cbsaustin.com/news/local/ems-person-reportedly-stuck-killed-by-airplane-on-abia-runway

Initial report is they were not an airport workrr

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk

Runway28L

Fri May 08, 2020 5:45 am

Western727

Fri May 08, 2020 11:28 am

Runway28L wrote:

I live in Austin and know KAUS well. 17R/35L is the more “open space” of the two runways there, so I’m afraid there’s no way this was an accident. Truly sad.
Jack @ AUS

TutiFruiti

Fri May 08, 2020 11:39 am

Here is the recording of crash. I dont know how to embed it actually

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oOsnUrI ... e=youtu.be

WN732

Fri May 08, 2020 1:48 pm

Western727 wrote:
Runway28L wrote:

I live in Austin and know KAUS well. 17R/35L is the more “open space” of the two runways there, so I’m afraid there’s no way this was an accident. Truly sad.

I'm wondering if they hopped the fence off 183, or if they went in over by the cargo area.

TyroneShoes

Police ID man killed on runway; how he got there remains mystery

Tue May 12, 2020 4:04 pm

In case anyone is interested.........

Police ID man killed on runway; how he got there remains mystery
May 11, 2020 at 6:44 PM

Local and federal officials are still investigating how a man, who was not an Austin-Bergstrom International Airport employee, got onto a runway last week where he was killed by a landing airliner.

The man was found dead Thursday night by the driver of an airport operations vehicle after the pilots of Southwest Airlines Flight 1392 reported seeing a person on the runway while landing.

Austin police responded to the runway at 8:16 p.m. The man, identified by police on Monday as 22-year-old Junin Ko, was pronounced dead at 8:41 p.m.

The Southwest flight had 53 passengers and five crew members, airport spokesperson Bryce Dubee said. The aircraft was a Boeing 737.

The man did not have a security badge, which would have granted him access to the secure side of the airport, Dubee said.

Austin Department of Aviation employees, or someone who works for an airline or concession would have a badge, Dubee said.

The man was also not an employee of places at the airport that do not require a security badge, like a hotel or gas station on the airport’s campus, Dubee said.

Dubee could not comment on the investigation into how the man got onto the runway. The Federal Aviation Administration, Transportation Security Administration, Austin police and the airport are investigating the incident, he said.
The incident is being treated as a breach of security. In the last decade, five security breaches have been recorded at the airport, Dubee said.

One incident involved a person who led law enforcement officials on a vehicle chase and ended up climbing over a fence near a wooded area off Emma Browning Avenue.

Four other incidents involved an unauthorized person in the airport’s Air Operations Area, where aircrafts are parked, Dubee said. In those cases, the people were found to be unauthorized, were removed and arrested by Austin police, Dubee said.

The man involved in Thursday’s incident was farther out on the runway and not close to the airport building.

“This type of thing is defined as a runway incursion,” Dubee said. “This is the first time we’ve ever had a security breach of this nature.”

The airport, citing security reasons, declined to comment on what changes to procedures it is or is not taking following the incident.

https://www.statesman.com/news/20200511 ... ns-mystery

Western727

Thu May 14, 2020 1:15 pm

The figures have still not yet been released for March 2020 pax & cargo traffic for AUS. I'm sure I'm not the only one here who feels dread at seeing the numbers, which will clearly be the first dip below the consistently-growing trend line of the last several years.
Jack @ AUS

Western727

Wed May 20, 2020 12:47 pm

Jack @ AUS

Western727

Thu May 28, 2020 11:56 am

What gates are operating at AUS? And by what airlines? Is there a CUTE gate arrangement in place for some/all gates?

I ask because a friend told me that a significant portion of the terminal is blocked off, but couldn't provide details. Thanks in advance.
Jack @ AUS

Longhornmaniac

Thu May 28, 2020 3:04 pm

Western727 wrote:
What gates are operating at AUS? And by what airlines? Is there a CUTE gate arrangement in place for some/all gates?

I ask because a friend told me that a significant portion of the terminal is blocked off, but couldn't provide details. Thanks in advance.

Everything west of Gate 27 is roped off. The gates seem to continue to be used as they were before, but I'm not positive.
Cheers,
Cameron

llintner

Fri May 29, 2020 3:26 am

Western727 wrote:

Gates 8-28 are currently in use.

Gates 11, 12, and 22 are outright Shared Use. Gate 21, leased by WN, also has shared use equipment installed.

TyroneShoes

Southwest announces new nonstop daily service from Long Beach to Austin

Sat May 30, 2020 1:10 am

Southwest Airlines will begin daily, nonstop flights from Long Beach to Austin and Phoenix in November, the airline announced Thursday, May 28.

Southwest’s announcement comes in the wake of JetBlue giving up multiple flight slots at Long Beach Airport earlier this year, effectively ceding its historical dominance there — and resulting in Southwest and Delta each receiving three additional slots.

Beginning Nov. 1, Southwest will offer round-trip, nonstop flights between Long Beach and Phoenix three times a day, and between Long Beach and Austin once a day, the airline said in a statement.

JetBlue also offers flights to Austin and American Airlines has flights to Austin.

https://www.presstelegram.com/2020/05/2 ... n-phoenix/

Western727

Mon Jun 15, 2020 12:32 pm

April 2020 stats came out last week, and it's pretty bad: 96.6% below April 2019. http://www.austintexas.gov/news/april-2 ... -bergstrom
Jack @ AUS