SQ22
Topic Author

Cruise Ship / Ocean Liner Thread - 2020

Tue Dec 31, 2019 4:42 pm

Welcome to the Cruise Ship Thread 2020. Please continue your discussion and to post your updates here.

Link to previous thread:

viewtopic.php?f=11&t=1413367
Last edited by SQ22 on Sun Feb 16, 2020 9:18 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Title updated after merging threads

northstardc4m

Re: Cruise Ship Thread - 2020

Wed Jan 01, 2020 4:05 am

Welp,

Carnival Ecstasy for me in about a month... Will be my smallest ship to date, though my wife has been on 2 other Fantasy Class ships.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A5000 using Tapatalk
Those who would give up Essential Liberty to purchase a little Temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety.

stl07

Thu Jan 02, 2020 3:46 am

northstardc4m wrote:
Welp,

Carnival Ecstasy for me in about a month... Will be my smallest ship to date, though my wife has been on 2 other Fantasy Class ships.

Surprised they haven't renamed the ship
Instead of typing in "mods", consider using the report function.
Love how every "travel blogger" says they will never fly AA/Ethihad again and then says it again and again on subsequent flights.

ArchGuy1

Thu Jan 02, 2020 5:59 pm

stl07 wrote:
northstardc4m wrote:
Welp,

All the Fantasy class ships have not been renamed

stl07

Thu Jan 02, 2020 6:06 pm

ArchGuy1 wrote:
stl07 wrote:
northstardc4m wrote:
Welp,

Yes, but not every fantasy ship shares the name with an illegal substance
Instead of typing in "mods", consider using the report function.
Love how every "travel blogger" says they will never fly AA/Ethihad again and then says it again and again on subsequent flights.

northstardc4m

Thu Jan 02, 2020 6:20 pm

It's been called the Ecstacy or Carnival Ecstasy since launch on 1990...and if they didn't change the name after it caught fire I really don't think they will because of a street drug name... And since Carnival is rumored to be looking at retiring the Fantasy class in 5 ish years I don't think they will bother with a renaming now.

Those who would give up Essential Liberty to purchase a little Temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety.

910A

Thu Jan 02, 2020 11:31 pm

stl07 wrote:
ArchGuy1 wrote:
stl07 wrote:

Yes, but not every fantasy ship shares the name with an illegal substance

The two times I was on it, I always referred to it as the drug ship..

einsteinboricua

Fri Jan 03, 2020 4:01 am

ArchGuy1 wrote:

Technically speaking, they have been renamed.

Fascination became Carnival Fascination. Ecstasy became Carnival Ecstasy...and so on. The trend that started with Carnival Destiny, Carnival Victory, and Carnival Triumph, and follows other cruise lines like RCCL's "X of the Seas", NCL's "Norwegian X", and Princess's "X Princess".
"You haven't seen a tree until you've seen its shadow from the sky."

OA260

Fri Jan 03, 2020 9:37 am

A rollercoaster, tattoo parlour, submarines and an underwater scooter: All the amazing features to spot on the new cruise ships of 2020

Cruise ships have introduced some wild and wonderful attractions in the last few years, including dodgem cars, ten-storey slides, skydiving simulators and go-kart racing tracks.

Another hotly anticipated ship will be Scarlet Lady, the first launch from Sir Richard Branson’s new brand Virgin Voyages, featuring a tattoo parlour, drag queen breakfasts and champagne served at the shake of a smartphone.

https://metro.co.uk/2020/01/02/rollerco ... tIVrUXCbxU

ZKSUJ

Fri Jan 10, 2020 11:51 am

Hey guys. Thinking of looking into a first cruise in September for me and mu partner. We are both young adults (25 & 32) and were lookinb at a couple of options. Currently tossing up between MSC Seaside and Harmony of the Seas.

I'm intrigued by Harmony due to the shear amount of things to do; broadway shows, aqua theater etc to name a few and have read some not so good reviews on Seaside regarding staff service, activities and food quality. Anyone with any insight?

Seaside is severely discounted at the moment too which raises a few eye brows. Anyone with opinions and experiences on either would be mucn appreciated

OA260

Fri Jan 10, 2020 12:05 pm

ZKSUJ wrote:
Hey guys. Thinking of looking into a first cruise in September for me and mu partner. We are both young adults (25 & 32) and were lookinb at a couple of options. Currently tossing up between MSC Seaside and Harmony of the Seas.

I'm intrigued by Harmony due to the shear amount of things to do; broadway shows, aqua theater etc to name a few and have read some not so good reviews on Seaside regarding staff service, activities and food quality. Anyone with any insight?

Seaside is severely discounted at the moment too which raises a few eye brows. Anyone with opinions and experiences on either would be mucn appreciated

For me it would be Harmony of the Seas. I have done both cruise lines ( lots of RCI on lots of their ships ) . You get what you pay for. Food is far superior on RCI IMHO. Then again if its your first cruise you will not have anything to compare to.

einsteinboricua

Fri Jan 10, 2020 2:22 pm

ZKSUJ wrote:

I would suggest you start out with a smaller ship. One that is more proportionally sized to her passenger capacity. Remember that Harmony of the Seas can carry up to 6,780 passengers (at max capacity), and you will definitely feel the crowds in the outdoor areas. There's only so many pools and theater shows and lounge chairs and open dining places before crowds start to form. Embarking and shore excursions will be a pain (especially if there are other super ships on port the same day).

A ship from the Voyager-class or even the Freedom-class is likely a better entry to a first cruise, in my opinion.

OA260

Fri Jan 10, 2020 7:43 pm

Another option is Virgin Voyages . Its going to be the biggest thing to happen in the cruise market this year.

https://www.virginvoyages.com/

ZKSUJ

Sat Jan 11, 2020 4:14 am

Thanks guys. Will have a look into it more. Sounds like RCI wins and its just a matter of which ship.

The onlg reason Harmony was appealing was thatwe liked it after watching documentaries on it. And virgin doesnt have datesyet for our leave. Thanks so much for the suggestions. Will look into other classes as well

Regards

ZKSUJ

Dano1977

Mon Jan 13, 2020 9:53 pm

Just booked my first cruise for 2020.

Going on the P&O Ventura, sailing from Southampton.

Visiting Maderia, La Palma, Tenerife, Lanzarote and Lisbon.
The average EU official - he has the organising ability of the Italians, the flexibility of the Germans and the modesty of the French. And that's topped up by the imagination of the Belgians, the generosity of the Dutch.

ArchGuy1

Tue Jan 14, 2020 12:30 am

The Indian based cruise line, Jalesh Cruises is looking into acquiring a second ship as soon as October due to high demand in the Indian market with their first ship, Karnika. The Karnika was delivered to Jalesh last March after a career with P&O Australia as the Pacific Jewel. Itineraries for that ship are out of Mumbai and Goa with the ship rotating to the Middle East, where itineraries include Dubai, Muscat, Abu Dhabi, Doha, Bahrain, and Sir Ban Yas Island. Looks like the India market will follow China's example in the next few years.
https://www.cruiseindustrynews.com/crui ... tober.html

johns624

Tue Jan 14, 2020 12:37 am

My wife and I are doing the Summer Solstice cruise to the North Cape of Norway on NCL in June. We're kind of bummed because we just got an email from NCL that the ship will just be out of refit, which requires a slower speed to test the engines. Therefore, many of the in-port times have been shortened.

Ken777

Tue Jan 14, 2020 1:48 am

The wife and I have done 4 cruises on RCL, two out of Galveston and two in the Med. The only other ships I have sailed on had Weapons Departments so RCL spoiled me big time. My preference are the smaller ships where there are no long lines and it is easy to get around the ship, and to head to shore. We need 9 more days with them before moving up in their loyalty program so I'm looking for some cheap, short deals out of Galveston with FF miles to get us to the Med in September or October.

ArchGuy1

Wed Jan 22, 2020 3:44 am

MSC Cruises has ordered two additional 205,000 GRT World Class ships from Chantiers de l'Atlantique as the third and fourth ships in the class. They will be powered by LNG like the first two World Class ships and will be delivered in 2025 and 2027. The first World Class ship is already under construction at Chantiers de l'Atlantique and will enter service in 2022, along with being the first LNG powered ship built in France. It is a big step for MSC and a huge step toward reducing the emissions that come from cruise ships.
https://www.cruiseandferry.net/articles ... se-ships-1

dmg626

Wed Jan 22, 2020 5:55 am

Norwegian pride of America , Hawaiian cruise starting Saturday Jan 25, not a lot of time at sea, hits 5 ports.

johns624

Wed Jan 22, 2020 3:35 pm

dmg626 wrote:
Norwegian pride of America , Hawaiian cruise starting Saturday Jan 25, not a lot of time at sea, hits 5 ports.
Here's a warning. I don't know if you're planning on going there, but my wife and I were waiting for the ferry at the USS Arizona Memorial and there was an Australian couple next to us. I don't remember the cruise line, but they had a lot of unhappy people. They had sold them the Memorial excursion but didn't have enough tickets (or time) for everyone to go out to the memorial. I would've been p*ssed because for me, that is the highlight of the cruise.

dmg626

Wed Jan 22, 2020 9:47 pm

johns624 wrote:
dmg626 wrote:
Here's a warning. I don't know if you're planning on going there, but my wife and I were waiting for the ferry at the USS Arizona Memorial and there was an Australian couple next to us. I don't remember the cruise line, but they had a lot of unhappy people. They had sold them the Memorial excursion but didn't have enough tickets (or time) for everyone to go out to the memorial. I would've been p*ssed because for me, that is the highlight of the cruise.

Funny you mention because we heard of some time issues with that excursion so we are going a few days early and going to see it on our own. Thank you though for the heads up.

OA260

Thu Jan 23, 2020 2:01 pm

Dano1977 wrote:

Nice enough ship I did Ventura on a Med cruise year before last. Highly recommend going at least one night to the Beach House for dinner. Its only a small cover charge but worth it. Nice stops you have also and make sure to be out on top deck when you sail into and out of Lisbon . Sailing under the bridge is an experience.

ArchGuy1

Thu Jan 23, 2020 6:14 pm

The MV Astoria is being withdrawn from the Cruise & Maritime Voyages fleet at the end of 2020 and has been in the fleet since 2015. The ship was built as the MS Stockholm for the Swedish American Line in 1948 and is the ship that collided with and led to the sinking of the Andrea Doria off the coast of Nantucket in July 1956. I do hope that the ship becomes preserved as a hotel and museum ship restored to it's 1956 appearance rather than scrapped as it is historically significant.
https://cruisemarsh.wordpress.com/2020/ ... H2zIH3k73o

FGITD

Thu Jan 23, 2020 9:31 pm

Accidentally colliding with and sinking another ship doesn't make it historically significant. A piece of interest, perhaps...but that's it.

If they could scrap a concorde, they can most certainly scrap this ship

ArchGuy1

Thu Jan 23, 2020 11:50 pm

FGITD wrote:
Accidentally colliding with and sinking another ship doesn't make it historically significant. A piece of interest, perhaps...but that's it.

In addition to colliding with and sinking the Andrea Doria, the Astoria is the world's second oldest seagoing passenger ship in service and the last former passenger ship of the Swedish American Line in existence.

FGITD

Fri Jan 24, 2020 1:42 am

ArchGuy1 wrote:
FGITD wrote:

In addition to colliding with and sinking the Andrea Doria, the Astoria is the world's second oldest seagoing passenger ship in service and the last former passenger ship of the Swedish American Line in existence.

But that's not enough of an appeal. You don't catch too many tourists boasting that they were staying on an old ship that was once the second oldest seagoing passenger ship (which of course becomes irrelevant once it's retired anyway) AND has the distinction of being the last Swedish American line ship.

The history of this ship would struggle to attract enough people to justify a single display case, let alone an entire museum ship.

ArchGuy1

Fri Jan 24, 2020 2:24 am

FGITD wrote:
ArchGuy1 wrote:
FGITD wrote:

But that's not enough of an appeal. You don't catch too many tourists boasting that they were staying on an old ship that was once the second oldest seagoing passenger ship (which of course becomes irrelevant once it's retired anyway) AND has the distinction of being the last Swedish American line ship.

The history of this ship would struggle to attract enough people to justify a single display case, let alone an entire museum ship.

In addition to a hotel and museum, I feel that the ship should also serve as a restaurant and vocational training school.

northstardc4m

Mon Feb 03, 2020 1:15 am

Well a quick review of the Carnival Ecstasy:

Does not look it's age, no major wear seen on interiors, normal amounts of rust outside. Ship does not feel that small either though it doesn't have all the amenities of larger ships.

Current cruise director (Cam) was amazing.

Crew can be somewhat disorganized... Muster drill was terribly done, access to 2 muster stations are wide open and attendance records got screwed up... Delaying the end of the drill beyond the sailing from the pier.

ArchGuy1

Mon Feb 03, 2020 2:30 am

Cruise & Maritime Voyages has announced the name of their new ships that have been acquired from P&O Australia after a public vote was held on that matter. The Pacific Dawn will be named the Amy Johnson and will sail in the British market, while the Pacific Aria will be named the Ida Pfeiffer and sail in the German market. Very big moment for CMV.
https://www.cruisetradenews.com/cruise- ... new-ships/

einsteinboricua

Mon Feb 03, 2020 2:41 pm

northstardc4m wrote:

Does not look it's age, no major wear seen on interiors, normal amounts of rust outside. Ship does not feel that small either though it doesn't have all the amenities of larger ships.

I was in San Juan a couple of weeks ago and passed Carnival Fascination. She has definitely seen better days. Her hull paint was rusted in several parts and to be honest, the modifications where they added balcony staterooms in the lower decks looks very sloppy.

ArchGuy1

Mon Feb 03, 2020 3:20 pm

einsteinboricua wrote:
northstardc4m wrote:

I was in San Juan a couple of weeks ago and passed Carnival Fascination. She has definitely seen better days. Her hull paint was rusted in several parts and to be honest, the modifications where they added balcony staterooms in the lower decks looks very sloppy.

What ship were you on in San Juan.

northstardc4m

Mon Feb 03, 2020 3:29 pm

einsteinboricua wrote:
northstardc4m wrote:

Well I don't know about the added balconies on the fantasy class being sloppy though look wise they are a bit different.We were in a midship suite with one this cruise and it was a great balcony, huge too. Didn't feel in the least sloppy from close up.

Anyways the Fascination is going into drydock in a few months, might be why she looks like she needs a new coat of paint.

einsteinboricua

Mon Feb 03, 2020 3:37 pm

ArchGuy1 wrote:

Kia Forte...nice ship. Very agile over land.

In other words, I was on the ground; I never said I was on a cruise.

northstardc4m wrote:
Well I don't know about the added balconies on the fantasy class being sloppy though look wise they are a bit different.

I guess I still remember the sleek look prior to the modifications and seeing the new balconies disrupts the look.

northstardc4m

Mon Feb 03, 2020 3:40 pm

einsteinboricua wrote:
ArchGuy1 wrote:

Kia Forte...nice ship. Very agile over land.

In other words, I was on the ground; I never said I was on a cruise.

northstardc4m wrote:
Well I don't know about the added balconies on the fantasy class being sloppy though look wise they are a bit different.

I guess I still remember the sleek look prior to the modifications and seeing the new balconies disrupts the look.

Yes, no balconies at all, great way to sell cabins... Carnival doesn't care about the look, and frankly looking at the solid wall of glass balconies that new cruise ships all have now is it any better?

einsteinboricua

Mon Feb 03, 2020 5:31 pm

northstardc4m wrote:
Yes, no balconies at all, great way to sell cabins... Carnival doesn't care about the look, and frankly looking at the solid wall of glass balconies that new cruise ships all have now is it any better?

The ships DO have balconies, but they weren't the best selling feature since they were obstructed by the lifeboats. Hence why they added balconies lower in the hull.

northstardc4m

Mon Feb 03, 2020 6:57 pm

einsteinboricua wrote:
northstardc4m wrote:

The ships DO have balconies, but they weren't the best selling feature since they were obstructed by the lifeboats. Hence why they added balconies lower in the hull.

You've lost me now...

The lifeboats are on deck 10/11, blocking some windows on deck 10 none of which are cabins... always been that way?

Before the refit there was a shared suite promenade on deck 6 for 12 suites per side but it was all connected as a common space. Never obstructed views for sure.

After the refit that area was partially extended, converted into true balconies for rooms on that deck, as well as adding balconies on decks 5 and 7. A similar extension was done aft to add balconies to the same decks along with expanded pool and deck areas on decks 8 (nightclub balcony) 9 (serenity area) 10 and 11 (kids pool now waterpark)

Pre-refit:

post refit:

einsteinboricua

Mon Feb 03, 2020 8:12 pm

northstardc4m wrote:
einsteinboricua wrote:
northstardc4m wrote:

You've lost me now...

I distinctly remember the deck plans for the Fantasy class ships back in the late 90s and the two balcony stateroom categories all had partially obstructed views. I don't recall balcony staterooms anywhere else prior to the refit.

Dano1977

Mon Feb 03, 2020 8:21 pm

OA260 wrote:
Dano1977 wrote:

Nice enough ship I did Ventura on a Med cruise year before last. Highly recommend going at least one night to the Beach House for dinner. Its only a small cover charge but worth it. Nice stops you have also and make sure to be out on top deck when you sail into and out of Lisbon . Sailing under the bridge is an experience.

I will look out for that restaurant. It's the wife and I's wedding aniversary while we are away.

Thanks for the heads up about Lisbon.
The average EU official - he has the organising ability of the Italians, the flexibility of the Germans and the modesty of the French. And that's topped up by the imagination of the Belgians, the generosity of the Dutch.

jetwet1

Mon Feb 03, 2020 10:59 pm

einsteinboricua wrote:
northstardc4m wrote:
einsteinboricua wrote:

You've lost me now...

I distinctly remember the deck plans for the Fantasy class ships back in the late 90s and the two balcony stateroom categories all had partially obstructed views. I don't recall balcony staterooms anywhere else prior to the refit.

You are remembering incorrectly.

Deck 11 had the cat 11 suites,, now called juniors suites, 8 with obstructed view due to lifeboats, 18 unobstructed.
Deck 6 had the cat 12 suites, now callex grand suites, all unobstructed. On the fantasy class that got the balconies, the 8 suites that got the balcony extension are called penthouse suites, a new class of cabins.

northstardc4m

Mon Feb 03, 2020 11:31 pm

einsteinboricua wrote:
northstardc4m wrote:
einsteinboricua wrote:

You've lost me now...

Obstructed doesn't necessarily mean lifeboat... It can mean metal railing for example... If you look at say the Royal Princess and Kin, cabins E101 to E110 all show as obstructed for that... Even though they are some of the biggest balconies available on any cruise ship anywhere... Just metal railing so no view below the rail. That's "obstructed".

Looking at the photos it looks like they had metal railings. And yes apparently there was a change only the Fantasy I can find had the shared balcony thing, the Elation and Fascination at least had standard balconies for 14 suites.

einsteinboricua

Tue Feb 04, 2020 1:53 pm

jetwet1 wrote:
You are remembering incorrectly.

Deck 11 had the cat 11 suites,, now called juniors suites, 8 with obstructed view due to lifeboats, 18 unobstructed.
Deck 6 had the cat 12 suites, now callex grand suites, all unobstructed. On the fantasy class that got the balconies, the 8 suites that got the balcony extension are called penthouse suites, a new class of cabins.

I stand corrected then.

ArchGuy1

Tue Feb 11, 2020 6:01 am

The first sheet of steel has been cut for the third Edge class cruise ship in the Celebrity Cruises fleet and the ship will be named the Celebrity Beyond. Delivery for the Celebrity Beyond is scheduled for Fall 2021. Exciting times for Celebrity Cruises.
https://www.cruiseindustrynews.com/crui ... eyond.html

ArchGuy1

Ocean Liners in Active Service

Sun Feb 16, 2020 6:23 am

Continuing on with a thread from 2014, the only ship in service as an ocean liner is Cunard's Queen Mary 2, which entered service in 2004. The only former ocean liners that have been converted into cruise ships that are left on top of my mind are the MV Marco Polo and MV Astoria, both of which sail for Cruise & Maritime Voyages. The MV Funchal is currently laid up and the Queen Mary, SS Rotterdam, and QE2 are still in existence as repurposed hotels/museums/tourist attractions. The number of liners in existence and in active service has definitely decreased since 2014.
viewtopic.php?f=11&t=1312081&p=18490083&hilit=Mv+funchal#p18490083

Kiwirob

Sun Feb 16, 2020 9:34 am

ArchGuy1 wrote:
FGITD wrote:

She also looks absolutely nothing like she did when she was first built.

einsteinboricua

Re: Cruise Ship / Ocean Liner Thread - 2020

Sun Feb 16, 2020 4:03 pm

Some friends of mine went on the MSC Grandiosa and posted pictures of the ship. I gotta say: I'm adding the ship to my list of ships I want to cruise on.

northstardc4m

Mon Feb 17, 2020 12:03 am

einsteinboricua wrote:
Some friends of mine went on the MSC Grandiosa and posted pictures of the ship. I gotta say: I'm adding the ship to my list of ships I want to cruise on.
Msc have nice ships... It's the service that people are hit and miss on.

Friends of ours were on the Divina in November... Ship itself was great, entertainment staff hot and cold, room Steward was invisible, dining room was ok, buffet bad... Etc etc. Reviews are similar pretty much everywhere.

OA260

Mon Feb 17, 2020 9:08 am

northstardc4m wrote:
Friends of ours were on the Divina in November... Ship itself was great, entertainment staff hot and cold, room Steward was invisible, dining room was ok, buffet bad... Etc etc. Reviews are similar pretty much everywhere.

Yep exactly that. I was on Splendida for 10 nights in a balcony. Ship was nice enough albeit a bit bling in some areas. Food was basic and often cold. Staff were hit or miss. What I really did not like was the take it or leave it attitude. Also waiting at a bar to be served then a officer comes along and jumps the line to get served first!