Dutchy
Topic Author

Great projects of civilization and progress

Sun Jan 12, 2020 9:59 am

(How) We Gave Up on the Beautiful and Timeless Idea of a Better World

(The Bad Guys are Winning Because) We Gave Up on The Great Projects of Civilization and Progress

Have you noticed how we never seem to reflect on, discuss, even have, beautiful and great ideas anymore? Like, say, giving every human being on planet earth an education, retirement, income, savings? Like, say, nourishing every life on the planet — human, animal, or plant? How would we even do those things? Do you ever wonder?

Wait — aren’t those the very frontiers of the things we casually call “progress” and “civilization? So why is it, again, that we never discuss them, as societies — in the op-ed pages, on Twitter and Facebook, on the news? How come we’re too busy on war hysteria and the latest daily scandal? There’s something very wrong with all that.
The bad guys are winning across the globe because we gave up on the great, timeless, and most beautiful projects of civilization and progress. Yes, really. The result is that we’re trapped in a kind of pointless, self-destructive cycle. They frighten and scare us, with yet another provocation. We react. See what happens? We’re always the ones on the defensive. We’re always on the back foot. Then, maybe, we attack each other. Nobody has the courage, grace, wisdom or truth anymore left, really, to say something as outrageously, shockingly beautiful as: “We should have a world where every single life can prosper, even an insect or a meadow of flowers or a tiny baby tree.” What the? LOL — everyone would mock us and call us soft and stupid and naive. We’d be laughed at by a neo-fascist right…but also by a decadent left more obsessed by what to call what’s in whose pants than whether the planet’s burning down. See the problem?

Link

So what would you like to see we work on first?
1. The first one is expanding personhood — freedom.
2. The second is expanding prosperity — justice, happiness, worth.
3. The third is realizing potential — dignity, grace, meaning.
Many happy landings, greetings from The Netherlands!

frmrCapCadet

Re: Great projects of civilization and progress

Sun Jan 12, 2020 4:35 pm

Seattle built in the 1940s (I was impressed as an 8 year old) what later everyone realized was a horrible mistake. An elevated two deck vehicle viaduct, 3 lanes in each directions, convenient on and exit ramps disrupting surface streets, and it ran through the waterfront for the entire downtown area. An ugly no mans land between the city and the Puget Sound. The Nisqually earthquake damaged it enough that something had to be done. After ten years of indecision (definitely the Seattle way), the governor declared it would be torn down and a tunnel would take its place (with no exits in the middle). That still left Alaskan Way an important arterial for cars and trucks serving the port, industrial, commercial, and personal needs for all of the city. As well the impact of the homeless was recognized as a problem needing addressing.

So a new Seattle Waterfront Park is coming into being - connecting from the south, Pioneer Square and the two big sports stadium, actual shorelines with beaches, the every increasingly used State Ferries, the fast ferries connecting West Seattle, Vashon Island, the Kitsap peninsula's three routes. The new aquarium, The Pike Place Market, The Sculpture Park. Even mostly adequate pedestrian walkways to the Seattle Center and Space Needle to the north and East. It connects somewhat adequately to another major bike and pedestrian pathway going to the Ballard Locks and Burke-Gilman Trail The roadways will be adequate, but IIRC 25 MPH. A 20 acre mile and a quarter long lineal park in the downtown waterfront. The New York City High-line Park people are consulting. And most of it will be accessible and used within a year or two. Definitely not the 'Seattle Way'.

Salmon, other fish, clams, rights of tribal people have a place
https://www.friendsofwaterfrontseattle.org/

The 27 mile trail (former RR track) going from a Park on the Puget Sound to the North End of Lake Washington
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Burke-Gilman_Trail
Buffet: the airline business...has eaten up capital...like..no other (business)

FGITD

Mon Jan 13, 2020 4:24 am

frmrCapCadet wrote:
Seattle built in the 1940s (I was impressed as an 8 year old) what later everyone realized was a horrible mistake. An elevated two deck vehicle viaduct, 3 lanes in each directions, convenient on and exit ramps disrupting surface streets, and it ran through the waterfront for the entire downtown area. An ugly no mans land between the city and the Puget Sound.

...as Boston raises its hand. Thankfully it was done away with, but not without struggle. A phenomenally Boston style public works project, political corruption, questionable contractors, ridiculously overbudget, shoddy work, and virtually every company involved went out of business after. But no doubt, there's no one who would ever go back to the old central artery Days

Jouhou

Mon Jan 13, 2020 7:56 am

FGITD wrote:
frmrCapCadet wrote:
Seattle built in the 1940s (I was impressed as an 8 year old) what later everyone realized was a horrible mistake. An elevated two deck vehicle viaduct, 3 lanes in each directions, convenient on and exit ramps disrupting surface streets, and it ran through the waterfront for the entire downtown area. An ugly no mans land between the city and the Puget Sound.

...as Boston raises its hand. Thankfully it was done away with, but not without struggle. A phenomenally Boston style public works project, political corruption, questionable contractors, ridiculously overbudget, shoddy work, and virtually every company involved went out of business after. But no doubt, there's no one who would ever go back to the old central artery Days

The big dig scarred my childhood memories of Boston but it's benefits are really shining now.
情報

ArchGuy1

Mon Jan 13, 2020 6:19 pm

Another project that could meet criteria is the Twin Towers of the World Trade Center. When built, the Twin Towers were the tallest buildings in the world, a symbol of the power of American capitalism, and a great architectural and engineering feat.

casinterest

Mon Jan 13, 2020 7:08 pm

So the article is a bit ignorant of itself. Most of the latest daily scandals and politics involve issues surrounding all 3 items from the OP.
These items are constantly being fought for. Meanwhile, great works are occurring behind the scenes that give everyone a chance.

Spacex and the exploration of space
Hyperloops
Alternative Energy expanse
Internet growth and social media spread.

Major projects around the world.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LtJLGIOX4ow
Where ever you go, there you are.

Dutchy
Topic Author

Mon Jan 13, 2020 9:18 pm

casinterest wrote:
So the article is a bit ignorant of itself. Most of the latest daily scandals and politics involve issues surrounding all 3 items from the OP.
These items are constantly being fought for. Meanwhile, great works are occurring behind the scenes that give everyone a chance.

Hyperloops

The article mentions more social projects, not hard projects. Renewable energy is an interesting one and does meet the criteria. How I interpret the article is that no real new overall concept is being launched. The millennium goals were such an ambitious project. They were smart. The Sustainable Development Goals superseded the Millennium goals, but they are not smart at all.
The Paris agreement has the potential to be such an ambitious goal. I think humankind needs such an ambition to shoot for the moon in order to reach the stars.

casinterest

Mon Jan 13, 2020 10:11 pm

Dutchy wrote:
casinterest wrote:

Hyperloops

The article mentions more social projects, not hard projects. Renewable energy is an interesting one and does meet the criteria. How I interpret the article is that no real new overall concept is being launched. The millennium goals were such an ambitious project. They were smart. The Sustainable Development Goals superseded the Millennium goals, but they are not smart at all.
The Paris agreement has the potential to be such an ambitious goal. I think humankind needs such an ambition to shoot for the moon in order to reach the stars.

Big battles are being fought and won socially all over, with a few setbacks.

Women are getting more equal pay, and more time off for having babies,.
#MeToo
Marriage is being seen as a right for all couples, not just heterosexual ones.

Great Projects of Civilization have rarely been a concerted world effort. Rather they are independent mobilizations that catch fire and spread around the world.

vikkyvik

Mon Jan 13, 2020 10:22 pm

FGITD wrote:
But no doubt, there's no one who would ever go back to the old central artery Days

Except, perhaps, for the family of the person who died when part of the tunnel collapsed.

With that said, it is indeed SOOOO much nicer now.
I'm watching Jeopardy. The category is worst Madonna songs. "This one from 1987 is terrible".

Dutchy
Topic Author

Mon Jan 13, 2020 10:26 pm

casinterest wrote:
Dutchy wrote:
casinterest wrote:

Hyperloops

#MeToo

Great Projects of Civilization have rarely been a concerted world effort. Rather they are independent mobilizations that catch fire and spread around the world.

What I miss, from our politicians, a vision to get to it. So that's why this article got my attention.

casinterest

Tue Jan 14, 2020 3:17 am

Dutchy wrote:
casinterest wrote:
Dutchy wrote:

#MeToo

What I miss, from our politicians, a vision to get to it. So that's why this article got my attention.

Well I think everyone in the US has given up on getting that from most of the politicians.

Dutchy
Topic Author

Tue Jan 14, 2020 7:09 am

casinterest wrote:
Dutchy wrote:
casinterest wrote:

#MeToo

Well I think everyone in the US has given up on getting that from most of the politicians.

Perhaps, point being we shouldn't give up on that.

Jouhou

Tue Jan 14, 2020 8:35 am

Infectious disease- 2019 was a bad year for outbreaks however we have more and more vaccines available to us and access is increasing for poor countries.

Wild poliovirus has been isolated to Afghanistan and Pakistan. Vaccine derived poliovirus 2 is still circulating in countries with poor sanitation and I think we might need a new more stable OPV2 to control it. But so close to polio eradication.

Vaccines are bringing about new achievements for human society, we just need to overcome "vaccine hesitancy" .
情報

DIRECTFLT

Tue Jan 14, 2020 8:47 am

Having Israel reclaim the lands promised to Abraham would be a good start for world order and peace.
Smoothest Ride so far ~ AA A300B4-600R ~~ Favorite Aviation Author ~ Robert J. Serling

Jouhou

Tue Jan 14, 2020 9:45 am

DIRECTFLT wrote:
Having Israel reclaim the lands promised to Abraham would be a good start for world order and peace.

Lol, peace. You mean death, violence, and mayhem? Are you intentionally speaking the opposite of reality like a lunatic to get a rise out of us?
情報

tommy1808

Tue Jan 14, 2020 10:46 am

casinterest wrote:

Protecting the ozone layer was one..

DIRECTFLT wrote:

Yeah.. because peace breaks out if we take any fantasy serious that someone penned 2500 years ago and that says "this is mine", in a book full of lies from cover to cover.
But i am surprised you want to take the Qur'an as gospel, it's from the same imagine friend you pray to after all. When in fact both documents are equally useless and dangerous.

Other than climate change religion is the biggest threat to word peace.

Best regards
Thomas
This Singature is a safe space......

N757ST

Tue Jan 14, 2020 10:53 am

Building gateway in NYC sure would be nice.

Hopefully in the next decade East Side Access will finally arrive. Few people outside of NyC know that a mega project is being built underground. An enormous brand new train station 10 stories below grand central.

B777LRF

Tue Jan 14, 2020 3:18 pm

Completing the Femern Sund tunnel, just as soon as the Germans get their collective shyte together.

https://femern.com/en

This is the last of the great infrastructure improvements, which have been completed over the last 20 years. The first one was the Great Belt Bridge (https://www.storebaelt.dk/english), linking the easter and western parts of Denmark. The second was the Øresund Bridge (https://www.oresundsbron.com/en/start), linking Denmark and Sweden.
Signature. You just read one.

DIRECTFLT

Tue Jan 14, 2020 8:34 pm

tommy1808 wrote:

Best regards
Thomas

other than climate change religion is the biggest threat to world peace.

Fixed that for you.
:yes:
Smoothest Ride so far ~ AA A300B4-600R ~~ Favorite Aviation Author ~ Robert J. Serling

Dutchy
Topic Author

Tue Jan 14, 2020 9:25 pm

It tells a lot about people, how they interpreted this and what they bring to the table.

GalaxyFlyer

Wed Jan 15, 2020 3:11 am

tommy1808 wrote:
casinterest wrote:

Protecting the ozone layer was one..

DIRECTFLT wrote:

Yeah.. because peace breaks out if we take any fantasy serious that someone penned 2500 years ago and that says "this is mine", in a book full of lies from cover to cover.
But i am surprised you want to take the Qur'an as gospel, it's from the same imagine friend you pray to after all. When in fact both documents are equally useless and dangerous.

Best regards
Thomas

You might review recent, as in 20th century, history and see how governments murdered millions of their own citizens. Lebensraum, anyone?

Tugger

Wed Jan 15, 2020 5:15 pm

The one "great project" that I always wish would happen and am disappointed it hasn't is the Qattara Depression Project. I think it would transform and change the region for the better. It won't end the centuries of strife and religious problems but it could provide amazing changes to the entire region and new opportunities to the people there.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Qattara_D ... on_Project

DIRECTFLT wrote:
other than climate change religion is the biggest threat to world peace.

I always do find it strange, if not silly, for someone to not think that working to reduce humanities global impact to a least be relatively neutral and not additive is as smart a goal and having a good defense, good technology, and limited government. Why would one not think or want that, regardless of what the "climate" is is doing? In other words, if a refinery is dumping a lot of damaging chemicals into your water supply, why wouldn't you want to reduce or neutralize that?

Tugg
I don’t know that I am unafraid to be myself, but it is hard to be somebody else. - W. Shatner
Productivity isn’t about getting more things done, rather it’s about getting the right things done, while doing less. - M. Oshin

Dutchy
Topic Author

Wed Jan 15, 2020 5:29 pm

Tugger wrote:
The one "great project" that I always wish would happen and am disappointed it hasn't is the Qattara Depression Project. I think it would transform and change the region for the better. It won't end the centuries of strife and religious problems but it could provide amazing changes to the entire region and new opportunities to the people there.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Qattara_D ... on_Project

Interesting, thanks for sharing.

Dutchy
Topic Author

Wed Jan 15, 2020 5:31 pm

I think one of the more interesting projects at the moment, is the European Green Deal. It is ambitious, aimed at a better quality of life and for a better future. That's what we need, setting goals and working towards achieving them.