Moderators: jsumali2, richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

  • 1
  • 2
  • 3
  • 4
  • 5
  • 7
 
User avatar
qf789
Moderator
Topic Author
Posts: 11134
Joined: Thu Feb 05, 2015 3:42 pm

New Zealand Aviation Thread - February 2020

Fri Jan 31, 2020 12:53 pm

Welcome to New Zealand Aviation Thread February 2020. Please continue to add your comments below

Link to last thread

viewtopic.php?f=3&t=1437869
Forum Moderator
 
zkeoj
Posts: 1229
Joined: Sun Feb 27, 2005 3:00 am

Re: New Zealand Aviation Thread - February 2020

Fri Jan 31, 2020 9:58 pm

"Last week you said you won't fly NZ again because they served dinner too long (1 hour) into a 3 hour flight. Now you claim to be surprised that NZ actually cleans their premium cabins.

Is this constructive or intentional NZ bashing because they're an 'easy target' or some other reason?

In general I find the aircraft in our part of the world presented in really good condition and I've flown JQ,VA,NZ and QF within the last 12 months. Have you been on a range of flights within Asia or America. I had the joy of flying an AA MD80 in '18 and Tiger in Asia in '15. Boy they made our airlines look pristine."

I totally agree - I never had a "dirty" NZ aircraft. not everything is always spotless, and some parts of the interior are occasionally worn, but not dirty. I had dirtier planes on SQ (one 777-300ER on AKL-SIN in particular) than I ever had on NZ.
 
ZK-NBT
Posts: 7513
Joined: Mon Oct 16, 2000 5:42 pm

Re: New Zealand Aviation Thread - February 2020

Sat Feb 01, 2020 5:51 am

https://www.nzherald.co.nz/business/new ... d=12305195

NZ to suspend all PVG services from FEB 9th through March 29th.
 
Megatop747-412
Posts: 309
Joined: Tue Sep 19, 2000 1:59 am

Re: New Zealand Aviation Thread - February 2020

Sun Feb 02, 2020 4:03 am

ZK-NBT wrote:
https://www.nzherald.co.nz/business/news/article.cfm?c_id=3&objectid=12305195

NZ to suspend all PVG services from FEB 9th through March 29th.


Apparently the New Zealand Govt is now following in the footsteps of many countries in placing restrictions on inbound visitor arrivals for those who have been to or through China in the past 14 days.

And Air NZ is bringing forward the suspension of AKL-PVG flight with immediate effect. That means the final flight will leave PVG at 7pm NZ time tonight, with AKL-PVG cancelled from tonight onwards.

Source here - https://www.tvnz.co.nz/one-news/new-zealand/new-zealand-restrict-travellers-china-coronavirus-spreads-worldwide?fbclid=IwAR2Ebch6h-Dp1kfak-ShekL6t5V9KVE70bv4WLmvOW3MRxDkN1Fh5x1uDcU
 
mrkerr7474
Posts: 85
Joined: Wed Dec 23, 2009 7:55 am

Re: New Zealand Aviation Thread - February 2020

Sun Feb 02, 2020 4:51 am

Anyone know why an Alliance Fokker 70 is doing a SYD-WLG flight under flight number QQ8833?

Just seen it on FR24 doing an odd flight path as well
 
zkncj
Posts: 3887
Joined: Wed Nov 09, 2005 4:57 pm

Re: New Zealand Aviation Thread - February 2020

Sun Feb 02, 2020 5:33 am

mrkerr7474 wrote:
Anyone know why an Alliance Fokker 70 is doing a SYD-WLG flight under flight number QQ8833?

Just seen it on FR24 doing an odd flight path as well


Could be returning New Zealand fire frighters / military from the Australian bush fires?
 
mrkerr7474
Posts: 85
Joined: Wed Dec 23, 2009 7:55 am

Re: New Zealand Aviation Thread - February 2020

Sun Feb 02, 2020 6:12 am

zkncj wrote:
mrkerr7474 wrote:
Anyone know why an Alliance Fokker 70 is doing a SYD-WLG flight under flight number QQ8833?

Just seen it on FR24 doing an odd flight path as well


Could be returning New Zealand fire frighters / military from the Australian bush fires?


Oh yes so it could be. Wonder why it flew so far north before heading down to WLG, it made the flight 4.33hours long
 
zkeoj
Posts: 1229
Joined: Sun Feb 27, 2005 3:00 am

Re: New Zealand Aviation Thread - February 2020

Sun Feb 02, 2020 6:27 am

mrkerr7474 wrote:
zkncj wrote:
mrkerr7474 wrote:
Anyone know why an Alliance Fokker 70 is doing a SYD-WLG flight under flight number QQ8833?

Just seen it on FR24 doing an odd flight path as well


Could be returning New Zealand fire frighters / military from the Australian bush fires?


Oh yes so it could be. Wonder why it flew so far north before heading down to WLG, it made the flight 4.33hours long


ETOPS restrictions, i.e. keeping close enough to Norfolk?
 
planemanofnz
Posts: 4381
Joined: Fri Sep 30, 2005 4:46 pm

Re: New Zealand Aviation Thread - February 2020

Sun Feb 02, 2020 7:49 am

With a 789 frame freed up from the PVG service over the next two months, could we see a 789 deployed on AKL - CHC rotations?

Cheers,

C.
 
ZK-NBT
Posts: 7513
Joined: Mon Oct 16, 2000 5:42 pm

Re: New Zealand Aviation Thread - February 2020

Sun Feb 02, 2020 8:08 am

planemanofnz wrote:
With a 789 frame freed up from the PVG service over the next two months, could we see a 789 deployed on AKL - CHC rotations?

Cheers,

C.


Why? I mean it’s not impossible but I’d have thought deployed to the hangar to use some of the extra downtime to carry out maintenance earlier? Or cover 777s which have been working hard.
 
Gangurru
Posts: 106
Joined: Sat Feb 09, 2019 7:30 pm

Re: New Zealand Aviation Thread - February 2020

Sun Feb 02, 2020 8:35 am

[quote="mrkerr7474"]Anyone know why an Alliance Fokker 70 is doing a SYD-WLG flight under flight number QQ8833?

Just seen it on FR24 doing an odd flight path as well[/quote]

It’s a Tauck tour charter. AUD18,000 for 20 days. Nice work if you can get it.
https://www.tauck.com.au/tours/grand-au ... tcd=na2020

The F70 is configured with 48 seats.
http://www.allianceairlines.com.au/docs ... 6f0f1e9e_2
 
zkncj
Posts: 3887
Joined: Wed Nov 09, 2005 4:57 pm

Re: New Zealand Aviation Thread - February 2020

Sun Feb 02, 2020 8:38 am

[threeid][/threeid]
ZK-NBT wrote:
planemanofnz wrote:
With a 789 frame freed up from the PVG service over the next two months, could we see a 789 deployed on AKL - CHC rotations?

Cheers,

C.


Why? I mean it’s not impossible but I’d have thought deployed to the hangar to use some of the extra downtime to carry out maintenance earlier? Or cover 777s which have been working hard.


There could be an increase of domestic holidays booked on the next few months e.g people choosing not to go overseas instead sticking to something.

If anything think it might just end up on some Tasman runs, people will probably still be comfortable travelling to Australia but maybe not so much to Australia.
 
zkncj
Posts: 3887
Joined: Wed Nov 09, 2005 4:57 pm

Re: New Zealand Aviation Thread - February 2020

Sun Feb 02, 2020 8:39 am

With the current ban on passengers for China begs the question, has New Zealand ever taken this action before? To pretty much close of travel from another country?

Also since air travel has there ever been an point when New Zealand fully closed the borders?
 
NZ6
Posts: 1601
Joined: Fri Jan 22, 2010 6:50 pm

Re: New Zealand Aviation Thread - February 2020

Sun Feb 02, 2020 8:07 pm

ZK-NBT wrote:
planemanofnz wrote:
With a 789 frame freed up from the PVG service over the next two months, could we see a 789 deployed on AKL - CHC rotations?

Cheers,

C.


Why? I mean it’s not impossible but I’d have thought deployed to the hangar to use some of the extra downtime to carry out maintenance earlier? Or cover 777s which have been working hard.


Exactly my first thought, why?

Unless there is extremely high demand over a specific period or a need for "recovery flights" post a disrupt there wouldn't be much benefit from it. At such short notice you'd need to dump a heap of seats at entry level pricing to full the flights and you'd end up racking up your cycles/hours pretty quickly.

It's not to say you won't see them adhoc or on the Tasman/Pacific in lieu of A320/772 or 77W for short notice MX.

There's also consideration for what happens if/when things return to normal and specifically if this happens prior to 29 March.

zkncj wrote:
There could be an increase of domestic holidays booked on the next few months e.g people choosing not to go overseas instead sticking to something.

If anything think it might just end up on some Tasman runs, people will probably still be comfortable travelling to Australia but maybe not so much to Australia.


The leisure booking curve is normally way more than 60 days (Now -> end of march) and further out for international. Then, given business' are just getting back into the new year and school's are just returning. I'd say the number of people opting for a domestic flight holiday vs an international holiday before the end of March would be extremely low. Then start to add in, are people avoiding the Pacific and surely we're starting filter it even further...

I don't believe we'll see 787's on AKL-CHC as a result of increased domestic tourism over the next 55 days.

If this goes on for several months, there will likely be a slowdown in the wider market, much like we had with SARS. This effected the Asian markets but also the Europe market with people actively avoiding travelling through the east.
 
NZ6
Posts: 1601
Joined: Fri Jan 22, 2010 6:50 pm

Re: New Zealand Aviation Thread - February 2020

Sun Feb 02, 2020 8:09 pm

zkncj wrote:
With the current ban on passengers for China begs the question, has New Zealand ever taken this action before? To pretty much close of travel from another country?

Also since air travel has there ever been an point when New Zealand fully closed the borders?


Off the top of my head quickly, I can't recall one.

The closest may be 911 when America closed it's airspace. Not the same but similar.
 
zkncj
Posts: 3887
Joined: Wed Nov 09, 2005 4:57 pm

Re: New Zealand Aviation Thread - February 2020

Sun Feb 02, 2020 9:05 pm

https://twitter.com/NZ_Customs/status/1224062326359248896
Coronavirus update: All travellers entering New Zealand will now be required to be individually manually processed (including NZ citizens, permanent residents or their families)and no travellers will be allowed to use eGates.


Fun times at AKL today then... don't think I would be want to be arriving in AKL right now, it seems to be an little bit over the top.
 
mrkerr7474
Posts: 85
Joined: Wed Dec 23, 2009 7:55 am

Re: New Zealand Aviation Thread - February 2020

Sun Feb 02, 2020 9:18 pm

Gangurru wrote:
mrkerr7474 wrote:
Anyone know why an Alliance Fokker 70 is doing a SYD-WLG flight under flight number QQ8833?

Just seen it on FR24 doing an odd flight path as well


It’s a Tauck tour charter. AUD18,000 for 20 days. Nice work if you can get it.
https://www.tauck.com.au/tours/grand-au ... tcd=na2020

The F70 is configured with 48 seats.
http://www.allianceairlines.com.au/docs ... 6f0f1e9e_2


That is some hefty price for 20 days but nice to have direct charter flights the whole way!
 
Gasman
Posts: 2202
Joined: Mon Mar 01, 2004 10:06 am

Re: New Zealand Aviation Thread - February 2020

Sun Feb 02, 2020 9:20 pm

zkncj wrote:
https://twitter.com/NZ_Customs/status/1224062326359248896
Coronavirus update: All travellers entering New Zealand will now be required to be individually manually processed (including NZ citizens, permanent residents or their families)and no travellers will be allowed to use eGates.


Fun times at AKL today then... don't think I would be want to be arriving in AKL right now, it seems to be an little bit over the top.


Over the top in terms of actual medical risk to individuals, yes. I suspect this is more about managing the financial and logistical risk of even a minor pandemic.
 
Megatop747-412
Posts: 309
Joined: Tue Sep 19, 2000 1:59 am

Re: New Zealand Aviation Thread - February 2020

Sun Feb 02, 2020 10:13 pm

Singapore Airlines SIN-CHC flight SQ297/03 Feb was being operated by their “Regional” A350, with 9V-SHH operating the flight. Means there will be no PE on the flight, or pax’s booked on PE may get an upgrade to their regional business class, which still feature a fully lie-flat bed arranged in a 1-2-1 configuration. I think this is the 1st time SQ is using the Regional A359 to CHC, and5 may yet be the longest revenue route operated by their Regional A359
 
User avatar
VirginFlyer
Posts: 5571
Joined: Sun Sep 10, 2000 12:27 pm

Re: New Zealand Aviation Thread - February 2020

Mon Feb 03, 2020 1:53 am

Heads up for the spotters: QF143 SYD-AKL has had a 3 hour delay today, and the equipment has changed from A330 to 747-400ER. VH-OEI is the aircraft operating, FR24 is showing a 17:22 arrival in Auckland.

V/F
It is not for him to pride himself who loveth his own country, but rather for him who loveth the whole world. The earth is but one country, and mankind its citizens. —Bahá'u'lláh
 
User avatar
VirginFlyer
Posts: 5571
Joined: Sun Sep 10, 2000 12:27 pm

Re: New Zealand Aviation Thread - February 2020

Mon Feb 03, 2020 4:11 am

VirginFlyer wrote:
Heads up for the spotters: QF143 SYD-AKL has had a 3 hour delay today, and the equipment has changed from A330 to 747-400ER. VH-OEI is the aircraft operating, FR24 is showing a 17:22 arrival in Auckland.

V/F

Just landed now.

V/F
It is not for him to pride himself who loveth his own country, but rather for him who loveth the whole world. The earth is but one country, and mankind its citizens. —Bahá'u'lláh
 
dhaliwal
Posts: 22
Joined: Fri Oct 20, 2006 5:41 pm

Re: New Zealand Aviation Thread - February 2020

Mon Feb 03, 2020 7:48 am

VirginFlyer wrote:
Heads up for the spotters: QF143 SYD-AKL has had a 3 hour delay today, and the equipment has changed from A330 to 747-400ER. VH-OEI is the aircraft operating, FR24 is showing a 17:22 arrival in Auckland.

V/F



Any reason why? I saw it take off.
 
ZK-NBT
Posts: 7513
Joined: Mon Oct 16, 2000 5:42 pm

Re: New Zealand Aviation Thread - February 2020

Mon Feb 03, 2020 8:06 am

dhaliwal wrote:
VirginFlyer wrote:
Heads up for the spotters: QF143 SYD-AKL has had a 3 hour delay today, and the equipment has changed from A330 to 747-400ER. VH-OEI is the aircraft operating, FR24 is showing a 17:22 arrival in Auckland.

V/F



Any reason why? I saw it take off.


Guessing the A330 broke? Second one within a week.
 
planemanofnz
Posts: 4381
Joined: Fri Sep 30, 2005 4:46 pm

Re: New Zealand Aviation Thread - February 2020

Mon Feb 03, 2020 10:38 am

ZK-NBT wrote:
planemanofnz wrote:
With a 789 frame freed up from the PVG service over the next two months, could we see a 789 deployed on AKL - CHC rotations?

Cheers,

C.


Why?.

Because they've previously used widebodies on the route in recent times, and presumably some of the reasons for doing so then could be applied to now? For example, could it help with maintenance? One option could be to do 320 or ATR maintenance, if those are needed (i.e. putting a 320 from CHC - AKL on CHC - WLG, freeing up ATR's).

Cheers,

C.
Last edited by planemanofnz on Mon Feb 03, 2020 10:43 am, edited 1 time in total.
 
planemanofnz
Posts: 4381
Joined: Fri Sep 30, 2005 4:46 pm

Re: New Zealand Aviation Thread - February 2020

Mon Feb 03, 2020 10:41 am

Despite the recent border measures on China travel, many Chinese airlines still seem to be operating, as per Auckland Airport's flight information and FlightAware. I know New Zealand citizens and PR's could take these flights, and the flights may still take cargo, but surely those would not be able to sustain them?

Cheers,

C.
 
User avatar
qf789
Moderator
Topic Author
Posts: 11134
Joined: Thu Feb 05, 2015 3:42 pm

Re: New Zealand Aviation Thread - February 2020

Mon Feb 03, 2020 3:14 pm

Hainan changes

SZX-AKL, not available for reservation, 2 Feb - 28 Mar 20

https://www.routesonline.com/news/38/ai ... f-02feb20/
Forum Moderator
 
NZ6
Posts: 1601
Joined: Fri Jan 22, 2010 6:50 pm

Re: New Zealand Aviation Thread - February 2020

Mon Feb 03, 2020 8:01 pm

planemanofnz wrote:
Despite the recent border measures on China travel, many Chinese airlines still seem to be operating, as per Auckland Airport's flight information and FlightAware. I know New Zealand citizens and PR's could take these flights, and the flights may still take cargo, but surely those would not be able to sustain them?

Cheers,

C.


qf789 wrote:
Hainan changes

SZX-AKL, not available for reservation, 2 Feb - 28 Mar 20

https://www.routesonline.com/news/38/ai ... f-02feb20/


As for the likes of MU779 due in today... have a look at who owns then. I'm not sure running backwards for a few weeks would be of any concern to them. It'd be more about image, reputation etc.

Although it begs the question as to how do crew get to enter NZ?
 
User avatar
aerorobnz
Posts: 8346
Joined: Sat Feb 10, 2001 3:43 pm

Re: New Zealand Aviation Thread - February 2020

Tue Feb 04, 2020 12:59 am

CZ will drop the morning flight from today and reduce to 4 flights a week for the CZ305/306 from the 9th.
Flown to 147 Airports in 62 Countries on 83 Operators and counting. Wanderlust is like Syphilis, once you have the itch it's too late for treatment.
 
User avatar
hic787
Posts: 45
Joined: Mon Aug 28, 2017 4:29 pm

Re: New Zealand Aviation Thread - February 2020

Tue Feb 04, 2020 1:00 am

Looks like ZK-OKH is on it's way to Wuhan, via Tokyo Narita. Will land back in Auckland around 4pm on Wednesday.

https://www.rnz.co.nz/national/programm ... evacuation

https://flightaware.com/live/flight/ZKOKH
 
PA515
Posts: 1608
Joined: Tue Nov 06, 2007 6:17 am

Re: New Zealand Aviation Thread - February 2020

Tue Feb 04, 2020 3:10 am

hic787 wrote:
Looks like ZK-OKH is on it's way to Wuhan, via Tokyo Narita. Will land back in Auckland around 4pm on Wednesday.

https://www.rnz.co.nz/national/programm ... evacuation

https://flightaware.com/live/flight/ZKOKH


ZK-OKE is going to Wuhan. It positioned AKL-HKG overnight as NZ6001.

https://www.flightradar24.com/data/aircraft/zk-oke

PA515
 
DavidJ08
Posts: 169
Joined: Thu Dec 27, 2007 9:18 pm

Re: New Zealand Aviation Thread - February 2020

Tue Feb 04, 2020 9:25 am

planemanofnz wrote:
Because they've previously used widebodies on the route in recent times, and presumably some of the reasons for doing so then could be applied to now? For example, could it help with maintenance? One option could be to do 320 or ATR maintenance, if those are needed (i.e. putting a 320 from CHC - AKL on CHC - WLG, freeing up ATR's). .

Was that ATR thing a couple of winters ago maintenance-related, or crew? I vaguely recall something about a shortage on turboprop crew.

A quick search on FR24 would show that NZ594/595 currently runs with a 789, although that is to reposition the 789 for the CHC-SIN flights NZ295/296.

I don't know if it's fully viable to do more than one or two AKL-CHC flights a day with a widebody - the widebodies have to board and disembark via buses in AKL (due to being parked in Intl while pax go through Domestic - not that they'd have widebody gates at Domestic anyway), and the customer experience isn't as streamlined as a domestic A320 flight. Check in closes earlier, the boarding/disembarking process is longer (at least in AKL), and I recall issues around accessibility?
 
zkncj
Posts: 3887
Joined: Wed Nov 09, 2005 4:57 pm

Re: New Zealand Aviation Thread - February 2020

Tue Feb 04, 2020 9:47 am

NZ6 wrote:
planemanofnz wrote:
Despite the recent border measures on China travel, many Chinese airlines still seem to be operating, as per Auckland Airport's flight information and FlightAware. I know New Zealand citizens and PR's could take these flights, and the flights may still take cargo, but surely those would not be able to sustain them?

Cheers,

C.


qf789 wrote:
Hainan changes

SZX-AKL, not available for reservation, 2 Feb - 28 Mar 20

https://www.routesonline.com/news/38/ai ... f-02feb20/


As for the likes of MU779 due in today... have a look at who owns then. I'm not sure running backwards for a few weeks would be of any concern to them. It'd be more about image, reputation etc.

Although it begs the question as to how do crew get to enter NZ?



It has been reported that the Chinese airlines operating in Australia, were carrying the return crew on board. With the South bond crew returning straight back to China.

Assuming J traffic would all be gone, so probably just dead heading crew.

You would think with all the measures in place now, that the flights would just get blocked by New Zealand.
 
PA515
Posts: 1608
Joined: Tue Nov 06, 2007 6:17 am

Re: New Zealand Aviation Thread - February 2020

Tue Feb 04, 2020 10:03 am

Today another ex VA ATR72-500, VH-FVU (msn 978), went NSN-BNE-CNS and could be going to Hevilift.
https://www.flightradar24.com/data/aircraft/vh-fvu

On 15 Jan 2020 VH-FVI (msn 955) went NSN-BNE-CNS and has now been repainted in Hevilift colours. On 08 Feb 2018 VH-FVM (msn 979) went NSN-BNE-CNS and on 16 Oct 2018 VH-FVH (msn 954) went NSN-BNE-CNS and both went to Hevilift. All have kept their VA regos.

That leaves VH-FVL (msn 974) and VH-FVX (msn 986) stored at NSN.

PA515
 
User avatar
RyanairGuru
Posts: 8415
Joined: Wed Nov 01, 2006 3:59 am

Re: New Zealand Aviation Thread - February 2020

Tue Feb 04, 2020 10:25 am

Re 787 capacity being freed up by the suspension of AKL-PVG, I think it is much more likely that they will be redeployed across the Tasman than AKL-CHC. Quite a few NZ1xx Tasman flights have been operated by A321s (and even A320s) over recent months.
Worked Hard, Flew Right
 
DavidByrne
Posts: 1672
Joined: Mon Sep 10, 2007 4:42 pm

Re: New Zealand Aviation Thread - February 2020

Tue Feb 04, 2020 8:08 pm

zkncj wrote:
You would think with all the measures in place now, that the flights would just get blocked by New Zealand.

I think it’s political. NZ got a caning from the Chinese Ambassador, however unfairly, when the current measures were put in place, with “consequences “ threatened. As long as the flights are only carrying NZ citizens and PRs, I suspect the government prefers to let the Chinese carriers themselves make the call to cut back (as at least CZ are doing) rather than making the call itself and risking accusations of anti-Chinese sentiment and the possibility of “repercussions”. Again, however unfair that might be.
This is not my beautiful house . . . This is not my beautiful wife
 
NZ6
Posts: 1601
Joined: Fri Jan 22, 2010 6:50 pm

Re: New Zealand Aviation Thread - February 2020

Tue Feb 04, 2020 8:58 pm

zkncj wrote:
NZ6 wrote:
planemanofnz wrote:
Despite the recent border measures on China travel, many Chinese airlines still seem to be operating, as per Auckland Airport's flight information and FlightAware. I know New Zealand citizens and PR's could take these flights, and the flights may still take cargo, but surely those would not be able to sustain them?

Cheers,

C.


qf789 wrote:
Hainan changes

SZX-AKL, not available for reservation, 2 Feb - 28 Mar 20

https://www.routesonline.com/news/38/ai ... f-02feb20/


As for the likes of MU779 due in today... have a look at who owns then. I'm not sure running backwards for a few weeks would be of any concern to them. It'd be more about image, reputation etc.

Although it begs the question as to how do crew get to enter NZ?



It has been reported that the Chinese airlines operating in Australia, were carrying the return crew on board. With the South bond crew returning straight back to China.

Assuming J traffic would all be gone, so probably just dead heading crew.

You would think with all the measures in place now, that the flights would just get blocked by New Zealand.


Weird how my post was edited to remove part of about airline ownership. Is that some type of taboo topic?

Does what you suggest include tech crew? essentially 'paxing' down and flying home without 'rest'! Yeah no thanks.
 
NZ6
Posts: 1601
Joined: Fri Jan 22, 2010 6:50 pm

Re: New Zealand Aviation Thread - February 2020

Tue Feb 04, 2020 9:07 pm

DavidJ08 wrote:
planemanofnz wrote:
Because they've previously used widebodies on the route in recent times, and presumably some of the reasons for doing so then could be applied to now? For example, could it help with maintenance? One option could be to do 320 or ATR maintenance, if those are needed (i.e. putting a 320 from CHC - AKL on CHC - WLG, freeing up ATR's). .

Was that ATR thing a couple of winters ago maintenance-related, or crew? I vaguely recall something about a shortage on turboprop crew.

A quick search on FR24 would show that NZ594/595 currently runs with a 789, although that is to reposition the 789 for the CHC-SIN flights NZ295/296.

I don't know if it's fully viable to do more than one or two AKL-CHC flights a day with a widebody - the widebodies have to board and disembark via buses in AKL (due to being parked in Intl while pax go through Domestic - not that they'd have widebody gates at Domestic anyway), and the customer experience isn't as streamlined as a domestic A320 flight. Check in closes earlier, the boarding/disembarking process is longer (at least in AKL), and I recall issues around accessibility?


You've raised a very important topic

AKLD isn't equipped for widebody flights. I mean physically they're not widebody capable but also

- Depending on other flights, the baggage belt can't actually handle the number of bags a full widebody would typically see in addition to other normal operations.
- Busing to/from AKLI and early check-in all equal longer and poorer customer experience. Some customers aren't even aware of anything different until it's too late.

Yes some will argue the in flight experience is significantly better than a A320 but for an airborne time of 60-65 minutes does IFE mean anything or is it just the novelty. You could also share some of the a.net critics views and say that the NZ 789 isn't that great anyway.

Anyway..... how much different could all this be if there was a single roof solution at AKL?

Domestic and or short-haul gates which were widebody ready.
 
User avatar
hic787
Posts: 45
Joined: Mon Aug 28, 2017 4:29 pm

Re: New Zealand Aviation Thread - February 2020

Tue Feb 04, 2020 9:17 pm

PA515 wrote:
hic787 wrote:
Looks like ZK-OKH is on it's way to Wuhan, via Tokyo Narita. Will land back in Auckland around 4pm on Wednesday.

https://www.rnz.co.nz/national/programm ... evacuation

https://flightaware.com/live/flight/ZKOKH


ZK-OKE is going to Wuhan. It positioned AKL-HKG overnight as NZ6001.

https://www.flightradar24.com/data/aircraft/zk-oke

PA515



Ahh, yes! Thanks, I was mistaken.
 
User avatar
qf789
Moderator
Topic Author
Posts: 11134
Joined: Thu Feb 05, 2015 3:42 pm

Re: New Zealand Aviation Thread - February 2020

Wed Feb 05, 2020 5:16 am

Sichuan CTU-AKL flights have been removed 9 Feb - 28 Mar 20

https://www.routesonline.com/news/38/ai ... t-05feb20/
Forum Moderator
 
planemanofnz
Posts: 4381
Joined: Fri Sep 30, 2005 4:46 pm

Re: New Zealand Aviation Thread - February 2020

Wed Feb 05, 2020 11:26 am

It seems like the remaining New Zealand - Mainland China flights will be, next month:

- CA, 4x weekly, AKL - PEK
- CZ, 4x weekly, AKL - GZH
- HU, 1x weekly, AKL - SZX

... certainly a massive drop in just a few weeks.

Does anyone know what's happening with NZ's PVG crew base - are they being forced to take unpaid leave?

Cheers,

C.
 
Deepinsider
Posts: 171
Joined: Thu Dec 08, 2016 10:36 am

Re: New Zealand Aviation Thread - February 2020

Wed Feb 05, 2020 11:40 am

Congratulations to AirNZ for pulling off a successful charter from Wuhan.

Over time NZ have been really profficient with charters, many to Japan,
and ones to such places as Barcelona and Cancun and untold others.

China, in the midst of this crisis, would be a major challenge espcially
with the short notice. It would help of course having Govt foreign affairs
support. Well done to all parties involved.
 
Deepinsider
Posts: 171
Joined: Thu Dec 08, 2016 10:36 am

Re: New Zealand Aviation Thread - February 2020

Wed Feb 05, 2020 12:09 pm

Come to think of it, There is probably an amazing history
of just where NZ flights have landed. ( I can think of about
18 in Japan alone)
PA515 seems to have the best finger on the pulse for the
goings on... would be interested to see that history.
 
NZ516
Posts: 457
Joined: Thu Aug 29, 2019 12:21 am

Re: New Zealand Aviation Thread - February 2020

Wed Feb 05, 2020 5:48 pm

RyanairGuru wrote:
Re 787 capacity being freed up by the suspension of AKL-PVG, I think it is much more likely that they will be redeployed across the Tasman than AKL-CHC. Quite a few NZ1xx Tasman flights have been operated by A321s (and even A320s) over recent months.


Possibly they might do that. As the 789 use to depart at midnight to PVG it most likely will stay overnight in AKL and do a new service in the morning. Another option could be for it to fly to HNL at 22.15 if a 777 went un serviceable.
 
NZ6
Posts: 1601
Joined: Fri Jan 22, 2010 6:50 pm

Re: New Zealand Aviation Thread - February 2020

Wed Feb 05, 2020 8:24 pm

Deepinsider wrote:
Come to think of it, There is probably an amazing history
of just where NZ flights have landed. ( I can think of about
18 in Japan alone)
PA515 seems to have the best finger on the pulse for the
goings on... would be interested to see that history.


If you look at some of the weird diversion points and also delivery flight stops as well you'd see a nice list.

But even just for charters, I agree there's been some interesting places over the years and would be great to see them listed out.
 
NZ6
Posts: 1601
Joined: Fri Jan 22, 2010 6:50 pm

Re: New Zealand Aviation Thread - February 2020

Wed Feb 05, 2020 8:25 pm

planemanofnz wrote:
Does anyone know what's happening with NZ's PVG crew base - are they being forced to take unpaid leave?.


Why is this of any importance?
 
zkncj
Posts: 3887
Joined: Wed Nov 09, 2005 4:57 pm

Re: New Zealand Aviation Thread - February 2020

Wed Feb 05, 2020 8:50 pm

planemanofnz wrote:
Does anyone know what's happening with NZ's PVG crew base - are they being forced to take unpaid leave?


They are contractors from an crewing company, so likely NZ isn’t paying the contract company so the crew likely aren’t getting paid.
 
ZK-NBT
Posts: 7513
Joined: Mon Oct 16, 2000 5:42 pm

Re: New Zealand Aviation Thread - February 2020

Wed Feb 05, 2020 9:16 pm

NZ516 wrote:
RyanairGuru wrote:
Re 787 capacity being freed up by the suspension of AKL-PVG, I think it is much more likely that they will be redeployed across the Tasman than AKL-CHC. Quite a few NZ1xx Tasman flights have been operated by A321s (and even A320s) over recent months.


Possibly they might do that. As the 789 use to depart at midnight to PVG it most likely will stay overnight in AKL and do a new service in the morning. Another option could be for it to fly to HNL at 22.15 if a 777 went un serviceable.


At this stage we are talking about 7-8 weeks until late March, either bringing forward maintenance on the 777 with 787 covering the 777 or the 787 maintenance is brought forward, there are soft cabin refits, economy plus install etc, not sure how far along this is though I think its planned to be done by October anyway.
 
x1234
Posts: 907
Joined: Mon Nov 28, 2016 3:50 pm

Re: New Zealand Aviation Thread - February 2020

Wed Feb 05, 2020 9:33 pm

I believe Air New Zealand's AKL-EWR will be a GAME changer for Australia as it enables fast single terminal transfers in AKL to EWR like the current EZE, ORD, IAH, LAX, SFO & YVR services currently. It will be daily soon enough. From one trip report I've read ANZ's AKL-ORD flight is PACKED.
 
NZ6
Posts: 1601
Joined: Fri Jan 22, 2010 6:50 pm

Re: New Zealand Aviation Thread - February 2020

Wed Feb 05, 2020 10:49 pm

x1234 wrote:
I believe Air New Zealand's AKL-EWR will be a GAME changer for Australia as it enables fast single terminal transfers in AKL to EWR like the current EZE, ORD, IAH, LAX, SFO & YVR services currently. It will be daily soon enough. From one trip report I've read ANZ's AKL-ORD flight is PACKED.


You're absolutely right, while QF won't be far behind with their NYC flight, the domestic to international transfer at SYD makes AKL a much more appealing proposition....

IAH took off like a rocket when it was launched, reaching it's year 5 target within the first 18 months (it may have even been around a year). It's very early for EWR but it's taken off quicker than IAH.

If this continue, I'd remove ICN and place additional flights into EWR asap. ICN is doing poorly and well below the conservative predictions.... There's definitely sound logic from diversifying your network and there's a desire to make ICN work long term, but it'll have 3 years to start showing potential.

TPE on the other hand is also doing really well.
 
ZK-NBT
Posts: 7513
Joined: Mon Oct 16, 2000 5:42 pm

Re: New Zealand Aviation Thread - February 2020

Wed Feb 05, 2020 11:04 pm

NZ6 wrote:
x1234 wrote:
I believe Air New Zealand's AKL-EWR will be a GAME changer for Australia as it enables fast single terminal transfers in AKL to EWR like the current EZE, ORD, IAH, LAX, SFO & YVR services currently. It will be daily soon enough. From one trip report I've read ANZ's AKL-ORD flight is PACKED.


You're absolutely right, while QF won't be far behind with their NYC flight, the domestic to international transfer at SYD makes AKL a much more appealing proposition....

IAH took off like a rocket when it was launched, reaching it's year 5 target within the first 18 months (it may have even been around a year). It's very early for EWR but it's taken off quicker than IAH.

If this continue, I'd remove ICN and place additional flights into EWR asap. ICN is doing poorly and well below the conservative predictions.... There's definitely sound logic from diversifying your network and there's a desire to make ICN work long term, but it'll have 3 years to start showing potential.

TPE on the other hand is also doing really well.


I don't think reading a trip report on 1 ORD flight that its doing really well is an appropriate gauge however I'm quite sure it is doing well based on frequency increase and what I read here, again A.NET isn't a good gauge but some here are well respected like yourself.

Interesting re ICN, personally I was surprised when they announced it given Koreans often stick to their home carriers, there is a decent amount of Kiwis go to Korea though, there is OZ feed at ICN. Interesting NZ increased frequency, I guess peak season but its a brand new route and also doesn't have the best slots at ICN, arrives to late for connections.

TPE is getting a 772 I guess they have to go somewhere, more premium seats but also higher fuel burn.
  • 1
  • 2
  • 3
  • 4
  • 5
  • 7

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos