Moderators: jsumali2, richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

TK105

Re: Turkish Aviation March 2020

Sun Mar 08, 2020 10:28 am

AF086 wrote:
TK787 wrote:
TK already flies to Havana.
Maybe Orlando, FL, or maybe SanJuan, PR or maybe another destination in Brasil.

Doesn't seem to be the case here but GIG could be a strong candidate for TK being a gap in their network. They fly IST-GRU-EZE 4xw and IST-GRU 3xw. The terminator service could get an extra tag to GIG perhaps. Would be the easy way to cover a new destination.

But I don't remember seeing any mention to GIG recently.

Couple of years back, I asked “what about GIG” question to TK GRU station manager while checking in at GRU. He said that GIG is over crowded by airlines compared to its potential and not profitable. I don’t know if this view has changed over time but I believe that not only GRU and EZE, but also GIG, SCL and LIM needs to be connected to IST. There can be different tagging options to achieve that. I think we will see this gradually.
The future is in the skies.

Tue Mar 10, 2020 2:12 am

TC-JZN is heading to Ataturk today. Was it going to be repainted to AnadoluJet or for maintenance?

https://www.flightradar24.com/data/aircraft/tc-jzn
If it's not Boeing, I'm not going!

kayik

Tue Mar 10, 2020 2:40 am

New Orleans?

Mystic

Tue Mar 10, 2020 5:20 pm

How many planes has TK grounded due to the virus crisis? According to a instagram story post of a former TK pilot, now EK A380 pilot sofianaiden, a number of planes have been grounded. I see a number of A330's lined up.

jghealey

Tue Mar 10, 2020 8:16 pm

According to the TK website, the A350 seems to no longer be scheduled on routes after 12th June at all... including routes to LHR and DXB. Does anyone know if this is a coronavirus response measure, if they're having issues or if they've delayed delivery of the type?

Blerg

Wed Mar 11, 2020 5:36 am

jghealey wrote:
According to the TK website, the A350 seems to no longer be scheduled on routes after 12th June at all... including routes to LHR and DXB. Does anyone know if this is a coronavirus response measure, if they're having issues or if they've delayed delivery of the type?

From what I know they don't expect the virus to last that long as it, supposedly, can't cope with summer heat. My guess is that this has to do with something else.

AirbusA343

Wed Mar 11, 2020 7:51 am

TK seems to have quietly launched a twice weekly service to Turkmenabat while suspending Ashgabat. The Turkmenabat service launch was very quiet, I wouldn't have known about it if I didn't track the 737-900ERs and saw that TC-JYH was on the way to Turkmenabat!

Also Ulan Bator is suspended until the 29th of March.

Blerg

Wed Mar 11, 2020 12:56 pm

Juneyao Airlines closes reservations for PVG-IST flights that were supposed to start in June 2020.

https://www.routesonline.com/news/38/ai ... june-2020/

I guess we will see months of recovery once the virus hysteria passes.

Wed Mar 11, 2020 12:58 pm

Blerg wrote:
Juneyao Airlines closes reservations for PVG-IST flights that were supposed to start in June 2020.

https://www.routesonline.com/news/38/ai ... june-2020/

I guess we will see months of recovery once the virus hysteria passes.

Seems like that many routes apart from this has to be postponed indefinitely because of this.

Wed Mar 11, 2020 12:59 pm

Mystic wrote:
How many planes has TK grounded due to the virus crisis? According to a instagram story post of a former TK pilot, now EK A380 pilot sofianaiden, a number of planes have been grounded. I see a number of A330's lined up.

Likely about 10. Is it stored at ISL or at IST?

Mystic

Wed Mar 11, 2020 3:46 pm

SQ789 wrote:
Mystic wrote:

At IST

Thu Mar 12, 2020 12:55 am

Mystic wrote:
SQ789 wrote:
Mystic wrote:

At IST

For the planes that is currently in ISL like TC-JZN (as found in another post before), is it mean it’s going for maintenance? I see most TK planes usually goes maintenance there (if required).

mafaky

Thu Mar 12, 2020 7:53 am

SQ789 wrote:
For the planes that is currently in ISL like TC-JZN (as found in another post before), is it mean it’s going for maintenance? I see most TK planes usually goes maintenance there (if required).

All major maintenance is being carried out either at ISL or at SAW, currently.

THY is building a biggish MRO facility at IST (between the two runways, to the north of ATC Tower) which is only partially finished but may not be fully operational. But even with this one completed and with the current fleet size and variety, I think they will need to keep ISL facilities under hand for several more years to come. THY is planning to build a second and really gigantic MRO facility to the north of the present Terminal (being 45 mt. high, it may likely shadow the Terminal...). The space has been allocated by IGA (perhaps TK has already started paying for some land leasing) but TK may not have enough funds to start the construction as of today...
A veteran Electronics & Communications Engineer from Istanbul-Turkey, highly interested in civil and military aviation.

Fri Mar 13, 2020 12:52 am

Turkish Airlines is cancelling flights to Nigeria per source.

https://tribuneonlineng.com/coronavirus ... n-flights/

amrabari

Fri Mar 13, 2020 12:14 pm

with travel bands to the US for all European countries, does that effect also Turkish citizen and does that affect TK?

also, small question, may I know what's the USA visa period for Turkish citizen? I heard it was 10 years but that got effected by last year's issues between Turkey & USA, is that true??

Mystic

Fri Mar 13, 2020 1:25 pm

This virus epidemic has affected PC badly. I am in the middle of cabin crew selections but the final rounds have been postponed because of this. Other active crew members are being offered leave without pay. So I decided to return home untill they call me back for the final interview and flew on PC1251 yesterday. The flight looked full, maybe a few empty seats. I only payed €30 for my ticket. Sales are extremely cheap at the moment. We had to wait nearly an hour on the tarmac for our turn by air control regulators because of dense air traffic to Amsterdam. I didnt expect this to be an issue with so many cancelled flights in Europe. Sabiha Gökcen was busy as usual, I didnt notice anything strange. Amsterdam was very empty on arrival. It looked like we were the only arriving passengers going through customs without any line.

OTTOMANAIR

Fri Mar 13, 2020 3:37 pm

Mystic wrote:
This virus epidemic has affected PC badly. I am in the middle of cabin crew selections but the final rounds have been postponed because of this. Other active crew members are being offered leave without pay. So I decided to return home untill they call me back for the final interview and flew on PC1251 yesterday. The flight looked full, maybe a few empty seats. I only payed €30 for my ticket. Sales are extremely cheap at the moment. We had to wait nearly an hour on the tarmac for our turn by air control regulators because of dense air traffic to Amsterdam. I didnt expect this to be an issue with so many cancelled flights in Europe. Sabiha Gökcen was busy as usual, I didnt notice anything strange. Amsterdam was very empty on arrival. It looked like we were the only arriving passengers going through customs without any line.

I was waiting for an open vacancy for cabin attendant at TK. I was hoping that they would open a vacancy this year, but that will not happen with the circumstances going on with the corona pandemic. Such a shame, I really want to work for TK as a cabin attendant and establish a life in Istanbul, but guess I have to wait and see now..

Mystic

Fri Mar 13, 2020 3:57 pm

OTTOMANAIR wrote:
Mystic wrote:

I was waiting for an open vacancy for cabin attendant at TK. I was hoping that they would open a vacancy this year, but that will not happen with the circumstances going on with the corona pandemic. Such a shame, I really want to work for TK as a cabin attendant and establish a life in Istanbul, but guess I have to wait and see now..

Yeah unfortunately.

Mystic

Fri Mar 13, 2020 5:53 pm

Flights cancelled to europe. Does this mean that european carriers are not allowed to fly to Turkey for the next month or does it only apply to Turkish carriers to these destinations?

Blerg

Fri Mar 13, 2020 8:29 pm

Mystic wrote:
Flights cancelled to europe. Does this mean that european carriers are not allowed to fly to Turkey for the next month or does it only apply to Turkish carriers to these destinations?

What do you mean by flights cancelled to Europe? Do you mean Europe as the continent or the European Union?

AirbusA343

Fri Mar 13, 2020 10:17 pm

Blerg wrote:
Mystic wrote:

What do you mean by flights cancelled to Europe? Do you mean Europe as the continent or the European Union?

Germany, France, Spain, Norway, Denmark, Belgium, Austria, Sweden, Netherlands. If this is true then it's very serious (and awful for TK) news!!

Mystic

Fri Mar 13, 2020 10:18 pm

Blerg wrote:
Mystic wrote:

Bilal Eksi, the ceo of TK shared it on his instagram and Pegasus shared several posts on facebook.

All flights to Germany, Spain, France, Netherlands, Belgium, Austria, Sweden, Norway and Denmark to and from Turkey are cancelled. Passengers are told to contact the airlines for a refund/cancellation regarding their bookings. There was chaos at both Istanbul airports and some flights have had delays when the announcement came out, but they ended up departing anyways. Probably the last flights leaving until april 17th.

My friend was supposed to fly on thursday on TK but his flight is now cancelled, he was trying to contact the airline but couldnt reach them.

Fri Mar 13, 2020 10:48 pm

The source regarding the suspension of flights to 9 Europe nations

https://www.usnews.com/news/world/artic ... y-minister

emre787

Fri Mar 13, 2020 11:04 pm

To make it clear: it looks like flights will still be flown between Turkey and those countries, but only the entry of those pax into Turkey will not be allowed; I think those should be able to connect internationally at least

I have a flight too actually on the 3rd and back on the 17th of April FRA-IST-ASR and back in Business even and now I'll cancel my ticket...

TK773ER

Fri Mar 13, 2020 11:12 pm

The first A350 for TK has taken flight https://www.flickr.com/photos/bycac/49654528561/ https://www.flickr.com/photos/bycac/496 ... otostream/ photo from Clement Alloing on flickr.

stylo777

Fri Mar 13, 2020 11:22 pm

news are very confusing and panic evolved among the people and even the airlines...
I just read the directive of SHGM (Turkish civil aviation authority) and it says:

effective Saturday, March 14th and 08:00 local time:
additionally applicable for above mentioned countries of the EU

foreign carriers:
- allowed to fly ferry to Turkey in order to pick up own nations/citizens (e.g. AF CDG-IST > ferry flights; IST-CDG > passengers onboard)

Turkish carrires:
- allowed to operate flights to those countries (with passengers), but have to return ferry to Turkey

applicable to all carriers:
- not allowed to accept any passengers who have been in those countries within the past 14 days

B747forever

Sat Mar 14, 2020 12:31 am

How is the situation in Istanbul? Are people panicking like here in the US?

I am supposed to fly LAX-IST on 3/21 and return back home on 3/27.
Work Hard, Fly Right

mafaky

Sat Mar 14, 2020 5:13 am

B747forever wrote:

Cross your fingers that either or both states will not start imposing an obligatory quarantine for 14 days before entry... It's less likely for Turkey to make such a sanction, but never bet your odds against Uncle Sam's!
A veteran Electronics & Communications Engineer from Istanbul-Turkey, highly interested in civil and military aviation.

Blerg

Sat Mar 14, 2020 6:57 am

So if airlines are not allowed to carry passengers who have been in those countries for the past 14 days then it means other airlines flying into IST will have to cancel their tickets as well. Ouch.

stylo777

Sat Mar 14, 2020 8:53 am

Blerg wrote:
So if airlines are not allowed to carry passengers who have been in those countries for the past 14 days then it means other airlines flying into IST will have to cancel their tickets as well. Ouch.

Correct, for example someone could not fly FRA-ATH-IST, but the question remains how are they going to check this at all?!?

SMKCosmopolitan

Sat Mar 14, 2020 9:48 am

stylo777 wrote:
Blerg wrote:

Correct, for example someone could not fly FRA-ATH-IST, but the question remains how are they going to check this at all?!?

I presume all itineraries from the affected countries via Istanbul will be cancelled. My wife and I are booked on DUS-IST-MRU flights and have just received a notification of "booking changes" with a request to call them. Unfortunately, upon calling the call center number my phone states "caller busy" and hangs up automatically.

Does anyone know a TK number to call 24/7?

Blerg

Sat Mar 14, 2020 10:46 am

Ugh this will create such a massive meltdown. I know people from the Balkans tend to be superstitious so I'll try not to be a walking stereotype but Turkish aviation has really suffered since the new airport opened its doors, from MAX issues to now TK being more or less grounded as well.

peterinlisbon

Sat Mar 14, 2020 11:44 am

stylo777 wrote:
Blerg wrote:

You could try but you'd risk getting refused entry and there's no guarantee that the FRA-ATH or the ATH-IST flights will still be running in one week's time. Plus of course if you are a German citizen then on arrival will ask how long you've been in Greece and what you were doing there for more than two weeks. If they determine that you were lying, you'd probably be arrested and put into detention/quarantine.

Of course, some people will find away around it but from being easy it is now difficult and risky to travel. I wonder what happens to Turkish people that were on holiday for a weekend in Berlin or something and now want to get home.

TK787
Topic Author

Sat Mar 14, 2020 11:55 am

These are very extraordinary times :( Stay safe everyone.

Blerg

Sat Mar 14, 2020 1:53 pm

Not really related to aviation but what is the status of borders and ports? Have those been shut down? Well except the Turkish one with Bulgaria and Greece, those ones have been open for a few days now.

leftyboarder

Sat Mar 14, 2020 3:35 pm

Georgian border is shutting down today. Iranian border has been closed for some time. I don’t know about the Iraqi one but I assume that one is closed too. No need to think about the Syrian one obviously.

TK105

Sat Mar 14, 2020 6:00 pm

UAE is stopping flights to Turkey.

As UAE carriers still fly to Europe and Far East, this is most probably a decision with political agenda. It is said that KSA will also follow.

https://gulfnews.com/uae/uae-suspends-f ... 4191394991
The future is in the skies.

stylo777

Sat Mar 14, 2020 10:44 pm

Extremely fast-moving times with decisions taken almost on hourly basis... now there are news that Turkish citizen being stuck in mentioned EU countries may return until 17Mar. Question remains how this will be organized with all flights to Turkey already cancelled (actually, changed to "ferry return")

mafaky

Sun Mar 15, 2020 4:36 am

One more passenger returning from Umrah visit/KSA to (I presume Istanbul) has been tested Covid-19 POSTIVE, recently making him/her as 6th case in Turkey. It's been claimed (some 14-15.000 pax according to Ministry, however 21.000 according to other sources( Umrah pax are on the way back during these few days with the majority having their end destination at Istanbul or will be transiting from Istanbul to other domestic destinations. Ouuch; bir incoming risk!

Turkish citizens stranded in those 9 EU States which Turkey stopped all air traffic (Italy still excluded, I believe) now have the chance to return home, until 18th March.

Blerg

Sun Mar 15, 2020 7:22 am

Six cases in Turkey? That seems pretty low, could it be that the government, like in many other places, is trying to hide the real number? In many countries they test small numbers of patients so the number of actual patients is also low.

OTTOMANAIR

Sun Mar 15, 2020 9:30 am

Blerg wrote:
Six cases in Turkey? That seems pretty low, could it be that the government, like in many other places, is trying to hide the real number? In many countries they test small numbers of patients so the number of actual patients is also low.

But why would they do that though?

Blerg

Sun Mar 15, 2020 10:48 am

OTTOMANAIR wrote:
Blerg wrote:

But why would they do that though?

In order to avoid overall panic and toilet paper shortages? lol

emre787

Sun Mar 15, 2020 1:01 pm

SMKCosmopolitan wrote:
stylo777 wrote:
Blerg wrote:

I presume all itineraries from the affected countries via Istanbul will be cancelled. My wife and I are booked on DUS-IST-MRU flights and have just received a notification of "booking changes" with a request to call them. Unfortunately, upon calling the call center number my phone states "caller busy" and hangs up automatically.

Just wait some days until the situation will calm down. TK stated that their call centres all around the world now receive 5 times more calls than before...

I'm in the same situation right now and I'll try to call them in 2 days at earliest

SMKCosmopolitan

Sun Mar 15, 2020 1:41 pm

emre787 wrote:
SMKCosmopolitan wrote:
stylo777 wrote:

Just wait some days until the situation will calm down. TK stated that their call centres all around the world now receive 5 times more calls than before...

I'm in the same situation right now and I'll try to call them in 2 days at earliest

Many thanks for your reply Emre. FYI - I have been able to call them yesterday after a waiting time of approximately 20min. Just make sure to call them back in case the call will hang up automatically (I had to do that ~20 times until it worked!). They have given me a full refund for the tickets which will be transferred back to my credit card within 2-7 working days.

In the meantime I have booked new flights to Mauritius with Air France - fingers crossed ;)

OTTOMANAIR

Sun Mar 15, 2020 5:51 pm

How big will this impact from the corona virus be? Do you think the Turkish aviation market will recover quick? Or do you think it will take some time. I was pretty surprised that TK was able to recover really fast after disaster year 2016.

leftyboarder

Sun Mar 15, 2020 7:05 pm

I think it's more of an issue of how fast the world economy and travel industry will recover and how soon people will restart traveling. TK will still be around but will demand pick up quickly?

mafaky

Mon Mar 16, 2020 4:51 am

leftyboarder wrote:
I think it's more of an issue of how fast the world economy and travel industry will recover and how soon people will restart traveling. TK will still be around but will demand pick up quickly?

My gutfeel is that none of the aviation markets (including that of Turkey's) will recover even after the Covid-19 will totally fade away. Personally I don't think it will totally fade away with the approaching summer!

The low cost market and charter carriers may start recovering much earlier but the legacy carriers will continue to suffer. Wealthy air travelers (particularly the C and PE class pax from the business world) will learn further as how to survive in their business while sitting at home/office but still carry on their daily biz (tele conferencing, etc. etc.) to stay "healthy", during this period of 1-2 months when flights are being banned! Backpack travelers who could afford tickets for legacy carriers (making use of promotional fares, etc.) may not have such budgets available for them.

While pax numbers decrease, duty sales volumes will also decline at the airports. A lot of airline staff will loose their jobs; there already are serious examples in practice. Tourism industry will greatly suffer, bcz. tours will sell less and it may not help to give rock bottom prices. A good percentage of these touring travelers will still want to stay at home in the fear that another epidemic may soon start. Countries with rich touristic regions, sightseeings, etc. will receive much less than what they were used to have: possibly half of the hotels, resorts will be left empty!

So it will be kind of avalanche effect.

In short, the New World will be much less offering for everyone than the Old One! :? :banghead:

Mon Mar 16, 2020 3:00 pm

OTTOMANAIR wrote:
How big will this impact from the corona virus be? Do you think the Turkish aviation market will recover quick? Or do you think it will take some time. I was pretty surprised that TK was able to recover really fast after disaster year 2016.

I think. But back in 2016, TK has seen much fallout that year after 10+ terrorist attack in the country back in that year. TK has seen much improvement since 2018 despite the MAX fiasco. As for now, TK needs to put some of it's leased (not owned by TK) aircraft back to lessor quickly than planned as the COVID-19 further hit global tourism mainly in Europe. Now 6 A332 is being stored ahead of it's early returned to lessor along with their only 737-700 (TC-JKO). Will see the other leased aircraft leaving soon.

ARNbased

Mon Mar 16, 2020 10:52 pm

mafaky wrote:
leftyboarder wrote:

My gutfeel is that none of the aviation markets (including that of Turkey's) will recover even after the Covid-19 will totally fade away. Personally I don't think it will totally fade away with the approaching summer!

The low cost market and charter carriers may start recovering much earlier but the legacy carriers will continue to suffer. Wealthy air travelers (particularly the C and PE class pax from the business world) will learn further as how to survive in their business while sitting at home/office but still carry on their daily biz (tele conferencing, etc. etc.) to stay "healthy", during this period of 1-2 months when flights are being banned! Backpack travelers who could afford tickets for legacy carriers (making use of promotional fares, etc.) may not have such budgets available for them.

While pax numbers decrease, duty sales volumes will also decline at the airports. A lot of airline staff will loose their jobs; there already are serious examples in practice. Tourism industry will greatly suffer, bcz. tours will sell less and it may not help to give rock bottom prices. A good percentage of these touring travelers will still want to stay at home in the fear that another epidemic may soon start. Countries with rich touristic regions, sightseeings, etc. will receive much less than what they were used to have: possibly half of the hotels, resorts will be left empty!

So it will be kind of avalanche effect.

In short, the New World will be much less offering for everyone than the Old One! :? :banghead:

I fear that you might be correct. I’ve never experienced anything even remotely similar to this. Global stocks collapsing despite the best efforts of the central banks, global travel more or less stopped in a matter of weeks with no end in sight, countries w/ open borders and lots of ”freedom” shutting down altogether. I was in China in early Jan and have been following this coronavirus outbreak quite closely. It really is a shame how the EU and the US have dealth with it. Truly catastrophic. In the last 10 days or so I’ve gone from ”I hope that this doesn’t cancel my huge summer vacation, but I think it will be okay” to ”perhaps it’s time to invest some more money in the stock markets” to ”I need to plan my shopping carefully in order to get toilet paper and food” to ”I might be stuck in my house for months and I might lose my job” to ”the world as we know it has ended”. Thankfully I have some cash set aside but I’m beginning to think that my millions and millions of miles and points might not be so useful after all :) And I really do worry about the health of my loved ones (and, to a certain extent, myself.) Terrifying times.

ASA

Tue Mar 17, 2020 1:17 pm

B747forever wrote:

My uncle just flew DAC-IST-IAH yesterday ... he said Istanbul Airport was almost empty ... barely 10% of usual. He noticed just a few planes taxiing ...

The IST-IAH aircraft was 20% full and on arrival in Houston, it seems there was no line at all ... he was outside within 15 minutes. I guess he got lucky!

Surreal! :crossfingers:

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos