Moderators: jsumali2, richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

496TFS
Topic Author

AA A321NEO PHX-HNL

Sun Mar 29, 2020 4:14 pm

Is the A321 NEO getting the job done to Hawaii for AA? Maui to LAX was always a problem for the A321 with seat restrictions and baggage limits. The NEO was going to replace the 757 on PHX-Hawaii flights. Is it working?

alasizon

Re: AA A321NEO PHX-HNL

Sun Mar 29, 2020 5:26 pm

Flights had been running full even in the winter but there was definitely less cargo and the flight benefits from a high child count. PHX-LIH was still on the 757 due to the distance though so it shall be interesting to see what happens there.
Airport (noun) - A construction site which airplanes tend to frequent

Weatherwatcher1

Sun Mar 29, 2020 6:08 pm

alasizon wrote:
Flights had been running full even in the winter but there was definitely less cargo and the flight benefits from a high child count. PHX-LIH was still on the 757 due to the distance though so it shall be interesting to see what happens there.

The runway at LIH May be an issue for the longer flight to PHX. It’s pretty short so the A321neo will be payload restricted

mmo

Sun Mar 29, 2020 7:38 pm

Weatherwatcher1 wrote:

The runway at LIH May be an issue for the longer flight to PHX. It’s pretty short so the A321neo will be payload restricted

But the eastbound flights will generally benefit in lower fuel loads due to the tailwind. So, it's most likely a wash. Probably tight both ways and payload restricted.
If we weren't all crazy we'd all go insane!

77H

Sun Mar 29, 2020 7:58 pm

496TFS wrote:
Is the A321 NEO getting the job done to Hawaii for AA? Maui to LAX was always a problem for the A321 with seat restrictions and baggage limits. The NEO was going to replace the 757 on PHX-Hawaii flights. Is it working?

If I may make a suggestion, you may want to consider having the title of the thread changed to PHX-Hawaii as your question about the NEO’s performance isn’t limited to HNL as the thread suggests.

That said, I doubt the 21N would have any issues out of HNL, and KOA for that matter given the longer runways. As mentioned, departing OGG and LIH may encounter some payload hits due to the shorter runways though flying Eastbound with a tailwind will limit the impact to payload performance.

While on the subject of the 21N and Hawaii, does anyone have insight as to how HA’s NEOs are performing out of OGG and LIH? If memory serves, HA’s seating density is less than AA’s. While most of HA’s routes don’t go past the coast, was running OGG-LAS with the NEO.

77H

Boof02671

Sun Mar 29, 2020 7:58 pm

Might be a use for the 333s.

PhilMcCrackin

Sun Mar 29, 2020 8:07 pm

Boof02671 wrote:

Not a chance.

Hawaii has instituted a 14 day quarantine for all of those coming into the islands from somewhere else. No one is going to Hawaii for tourism related reasons right now.

Boof02671

Sun Mar 29, 2020 8:46 pm

I don’t mean right now.

77H

Sun Mar 29, 2020 8:48 pm

PhilMcCrackin wrote:
Boof02671 wrote:

Not a chance.

Hawaii has instituted a 14 day quarantine for all of those coming into the islands from somewhere else. No one is going to Hawaii for tourism related reasons right now.

Perhaps Boof is speaking long term? As it is, PHX-HNL was being operated by the 333 since at least winter peak. So far as I know, AA has pulled down everything except Hawaii-LAX though I may be mistaken due to the pandemic and government responses to it, such as the quarantine.

77H

Boof02671

Sun Mar 29, 2020 8:50 pm

77H wrote:
PhilMcCrackin wrote:
Boof02671 wrote:

Not a chance.

Perhaps Boof is speaking long term? As it is, PHX-HNL was being operated by the 333 since at least winter peak. So far as I know, AA has pulled down everything except Hawaii-LAX though I may be mistaken due to the pandemic and government responses to it, such as the quarantine.

77H

Yes I was speaking long term

cedarjet

Sun Mar 29, 2020 9:05 pm

mmo wrote:
But the eastbound flights will generally benefit in lower fuel loads due to the tailwind. So, it's most likely a wash. Probably tight both ways and payload restricted.

Tailwind isn’t enough to make up for a short runway, might save 20 minutes off the flight but it’s still five hours
fly Saha Air 707s daily from Tehran's downtown Mehrabad to Mashhad, Kish Island and Ahwaz

Cubsrule

Sun Mar 29, 2020 9:10 pm

77H wrote:
496TFS wrote:

If I may make a suggestion, you may want to consider having the title of the thread changed to PHX-Hawaii as your question about the NEO’s performance isn’t limited to HNL as the thread suggests.

That said, I doubt the 21N would have any issues out of HNL, and KOA for that matter given the longer runways. As mentioned, departing OGG and LIH may encounter some payload hits due to the shorter runways though flying Eastbound with a tailwind will limit the impact to payload performance.

While on the subject of the 21N and Hawaii, does anyone have insight as to how HA’s NEOs are performing out of OGG and LIH? If memory serves, HA’s seating density is less than AA’s. While most of HA’s routes don’t go past the coast, was running OGG-LAS with the NEO.

77H

OGG is a little closer to the mainland, has a little more runway, and often has helpful headwinds at takeoff (blowing essentially right down 2). It should be a bit easier than LIH.
I can't decide whether I miss the tulip or the bowling shoe more

77H

Mon Mar 30, 2020 2:19 am

cedarjet wrote:
mmo wrote:

Tailwind isn’t enough to make up for a short runway, might save 20 minutes off the flight but it’s still five hours

Based on first hand experience, I can confidently say you can gain a lot more time than 20 minutes. The last time I flew HNL-SFO we made the trip in 3hr 45m. I have also been on a flight from HNL to ORD that blocked in at 6hr 55m. Heading west bound from ORD you’re lucky if you make it in under 8.5 hrs. I’ve also been on west bound flights to Hawaii out of California that have been over 6 hrs due to headwinds.

77H

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos