Moderators: jsumali2, richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

embraer175e2
Topic Author

Wideroe dash8 STOL replacement: ATR S series?

Wed Apr 01, 2020 6:32 pm

How long will Wideroe keep flying the smaller Dash8's ?
Can we expect a switch to the new ATR42 S series?

Someone83

Re: Wideroe dash8 STOL replacement: ATR S series?

Wed Apr 01, 2020 7:06 pm

I doubt it

embraer175e2
Topic Author

Wed Apr 01, 2020 7:20 pm

Someone83 wrote:
I doubt it

The wideroe dash8 fleet is aging.

embraer175e2
Topic Author

Mon May 04, 2020 5:41 pm

embraer175e2 wrote:
Someone83 wrote:
I doubt it

Whats going to replace the wideroe dash 8 aging fleet?

WesternFlyer

Mon May 04, 2020 6:20 pm

embraer175e2 wrote:
embraer175e2 wrote:
Someone83 wrote:
I doubt it

Hopefully someday production of the Q200 will reopen. Doesn't Viking Air have the patent/papers for it and could be able to reopen production if there is enough demand. Secondly WF have taken some older -100s with low cycles and put them into operation.

9252fly

Mon May 04, 2020 6:27 pm

I thought all of the Wideroe DH1s went through the lifetime extension program a few years ago. Jazz is currently still in the process of completing the lifetime extension program on their DH3s, which should extend the life of the aircraft 10-15 years. These two airlines are the only two that I'm aware of that have advantage of the program.

jhz94

Mon May 04, 2020 6:38 pm

With the Government of Norway having said that they want a fully electrified domestic flight network in the coming years, I am more seeing WF being an early bird for an electric prop whenever that might be launched. I guess the sector length is of no limitation here, when you know how short hops they do. It would be wasteful to invest in an airframe that might be phased out within ten years or so.
Did you know that you can run diesel cars on Jet A1?

WesternFlyer

Mon May 04, 2020 6:42 pm

I surely hope Widerøe will find suitable replacement for the aging Dashes. From what I've learned so far there is simply no better alternative for WF than som new -100s or Q200. As I said in previous post. I do hope that a revamped "NG-version" of the Q200 will be possible in the future.

VSMUT

Mon May 04, 2020 6:52 pm

WesternFlyer wrote:
embraer175e2 wrote:
embraer175e2 wrote:

Hopefully someday production of the Q200 will reopen. Doesn't Viking Air have the patent/papers for it and could be able to reopen production if there is enough demand. Secondly WF have taken some older -100s with low cycles and put them into operation.

I doubt. It will be close to 20 years out of production before it can enter production again. Even the future for the Q400 is looking grim with close to 100 coming onto the market in the past few months. It will be costly to reestablish the entire supply chain.

If you really need a STOL airplane in the future it will be ATR, downgrade to something smaller (Let 410NG, Do-228NG etc.) or keep the dwindling fleet of existing Dash 8s alive with refurbishments and sourcing frames with life left.

The biggest challenge for aircraft in this segment is the high cost of purchasing a new aircraft. It isn't hard to see why, Dash 8-100/200/300 and ATR-42 operators are rarely big affluent ones. For example Air Creebec, one of the biggest operators of the -100, they still fly dilapidated old HS748s. A new build Dash 8-200 would suffer from being too expensive. The replacement market doesn't justify big investments either, there are less than 200 -100s and -200s left in service.

WesternFlyer

Mon May 04, 2020 7:01 pm

jhz94 wrote:
With the Government of Norway having said that they want a fully electrified domestic flight network in the coming years, I am more seeing WF being an early bird for an electric prop whenever that might be launched. I guess the sector length is of no limitation here, when you know how short hops they do. It would be wasteful to invest in an airframe that might be phased out within ten years or so.

I know what the Government wants. For me personally its quite hard to imagine a electrified 37-40 seater with pressurized cabin that the Q100/200 provides in such a near future.

embraer175e2
Topic Author

Mon May 04, 2020 8:58 pm

jhz94 wrote:

Do you have a press release for this? We are still far from electric turboprops. The technology isn't there yet.

embraer175e2
Topic Author

Mon May 04, 2020 9:19 pm

The Norwegian government doesn't build aircraft. I fully respect their greenhouse view but there aren't any plans yet for electric aircraft. Before this happens wideroe will need somewhere a fleetrenewal.

WayexTDI

Mon May 04, 2020 11:42 pm

embraer175e2 wrote:
jhz94 wrote:

Do you have a press release for this? We are still far from electric turboprops. The technology isn't there yet.

First hit on Google
By 2040, Norway intends all short-haul flights leaving its airports to be on aircraft powered by electricity.

It’s one of the most far-reaching promises yet to cut down on aviation’s contribution to greenhouse gas emissions.

embraer175e2
Topic Author

Mon May 04, 2020 11:44 pm

WayexTDI wrote:
embraer175e2 wrote:
jhz94 wrote:

First hit on Google
By 2040, Norway intends all short-haul flights leaving its airports to be on aircraft powered by electricity.

It’s one of the most far-reaching promises yet to cut down on aviation’s contribution to greenhouse gas emissions.

Thank you.

eamondzhang

Tue May 05, 2020 3:18 am

jhz94 wrote:

IMHO this is not going to happen anytime soon. Airliners are not buses or even boats for the matter (and heck no boats are fully electric AFAIK)

The weight of all batteries needed to sustain all the energy needed for planes to take off, stay aloat and land are simply prohibitive with any advanced technology right now.

Michael

baje427

Tue May 05, 2020 3:56 am

How soon will WF's Q100's need replacing ? When they do need replacing the ATR is the only option. De Havilland has really been hit hard by the BE collapse and the early retirement of the Q400's by operators. I guess the will finish the aircraft that are already on the production line and that will be the end for the Dash 8.

WayexTDI

Tue May 05, 2020 4:08 am

eamondzhang wrote:
jhz94 wrote:

IMHO this is not going to happen anytime soon. Airliners are not buses or even boats for the matter (and heck no boats are fully electric AFAIK)

The weight of all batteries needed to sustain all the energy needed for planes to take off, stay aloat and land are simply prohibitive with any advanced technology right now.

Michael

Except that it is happening. Harbour Air is testing a DHC-2 retrofitted with electric motor intended for commercial service.
Range right now is rather small, albeit not really of a concern for Harbour Air (most of their routes are under 100 km and the current range is 160 km).

Battery technology is evolving on an almost daily basis; what's valid tomorrow will no longer be valid in a month, it's evolving that fast.
Certification will take much longer than seeing new battery technology.

Denying that electric aircraft are coming is a huge mistake; not sure if it's the correct way to go, but it will go that way.

Bostrom

Tue May 05, 2020 9:01 am

eamondzhang wrote:

There are fully electric ferries between Sweden and Denmark: https://new.abb.com/marine/marine-references/forsea

Also, given that many routes in Wideøe's network are really short, current battery technology might be enough for large parts of their network.

Someone83

Tue May 05, 2020 9:08 am

WesternFlyer wrote:
I know what the Government wants. For me personally its quite hard to imagine a electrified 37-40 seater with pressurized cabin that the Q100/200 provides in such a near future.

Agree, but it could be that their next STOL fleet will take another approach than using a "one size fits all" strategi. On several routes/flights, a 19 seater is probably enough. While other, a larger aircraft is needed.

baje427 wrote:
How soon will WF's Q100's need replacing ? When they do need replacing the ATR is the only option. De Havilland has really been hit hard by the BE collapse and the early retirement of the Q400's by operators. I guess the will finish the aircraft that are already on the production line and that will be the end for the Dash 8.

With the life extension, and acquisition of several used frames, they should have at least 10 more years left in them

IWMBH

Tue May 05, 2020 9:21 am

If they really need a replacement and there is no electric solution in sight I don't think they've much of a choice besides the ATR42.

Electric planes seem great, but packing a lot of batteries on a airplane has its drawback especially when these batteries overheat.
Seems like the airline industry need another invention to be able to switch completely to sustainable energy sources.
So, I have my doubts over electric planes, but I like the be proven wrong.

DavidByrne

Tue May 05, 2020 9:57 am

IIRC I read Air NZ and ATR are collaborating on the development of a hybrid electric aircraft. Does anyone have any details of this?
This is not my beautiful house . . . This is not my beautiful wife

opticalilyushin

Tue May 05, 2020 10:36 am

I spoke to some Wideroe pilots a few years ago. They said the dream solution would be newbuild Q200s with a glass cockpit upgrade

VSMUT

Tue May 05, 2020 11:40 am

Bostrom wrote:
eamondzhang wrote:

There are fully electric ferries between Sweden and Denmark: https://new.abb.com/marine/marine-references/forsea

It has a pair of backup generators.

But Norway introduced a fully-electric ferry, the MV Ampere, in 2015: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/MV_Ampere

In Denmark we one upped them with EF Ellen last year, which is bigger and runs a much longer route: https://da.wikipedia.org/wiki/Elf%C3%A6rgen_Ellen

Scandlines has converted all its ferries to hybrid-electric propulsion, including two new 22.000 ton ships.

Electric propulsion and batteries in ships go way back. U-boats during WW1 and WW2 ran on batteries when submerged. A WW2 Type VII could run 80 nautical miles on its batteries.

WayexTDI

Tue May 05, 2020 2:52 pm

IWMBH wrote:
If they really need a replacement and there is no electric solution in sight I don't think they've much of a choice besides the ATR42.

Electric planes seem great, but packing a lot of batteries on a airplane has its drawback especially when these batteries overheat.
Seems like the airline industry need another invention to be able to switch completely to sustainable energy sources.

Well, I think you're making a very common mistake, or at least mix-up: electric propulsion and sustainable energy sources are not mutually inclusive.

A huge portion of the electricity worldwide is produced from fossil fuel (coal, natural gas, maybe even oil); so, running an electric vehicle does not mean using sustainable energy sources.
Similarly, Diesel engines are the ones taking all the blame right now; however, Rudolph Diesel made his first engines run on peanut oil (a renewable energy source). And the Diesel engine can run on a variety of oily fuels (including, and especially, vegetable oil, straight, used or "esterized" - biodiesel).

But that's another debate altogether.

WesternFlyer

Tue May 05, 2020 7:35 pm

Someone83 wrote:
WesternFlyer wrote:

Agree, but it could be that their next STOL fleet will take another approach than using a "one size fits all" strategi. On several routes/flights, a 19 seater is probably enough. While other, a larger aircraft is needed.

I'm definitely with you on this.

Is there any examples of current A/C-types in the 19-seater segment that has pressurized cabin? I've always dreamt of the return of the DHC-6 Twin Otter in Widerøe. But those don't have pressurized cabins available.

WesternFlyer

Tue May 05, 2020 7:36 pm

opticalilyushin wrote:
I spoke to some Wideroe pilots a few years ago. They said the dream solution would be newbuild Q200s with a glass cockpit upgrade

IMO its a probable dream solution in my eyes too.

VSMUT

Tue May 05, 2020 8:27 pm

WesternFlyer wrote:
Someone83 wrote:
WesternFlyer wrote:

I'm definitely with you on this.

Is there any examples of current A/C-types in the 19-seater segment that has pressurized cabin? I've always dreamt of the return of the DHC-6 Twin Otter in Widerøe. But those don't have pressurized cabins available.

I think the closest you will get is the new Dornier 328, if it comes to fruition.

embraer175e2
Topic Author

Tue May 05, 2020 8:50 pm

WesternFlyer wrote:
opticalilyushin wrote:

It is not going to happen . bombardier nowadays did not do nothing with the lower q series. They have since then lost considerable part of the market to ATR.

embraer175e2
Topic Author

Tue May 05, 2020 8:54 pm

DavidByrne wrote:
IIRC I read Air NZ and ATR are collaborating on the development of a hybrid electric aircraft. Does anyone have any details of this?

This is a good one.anybody?

WayexTDI

Tue May 05, 2020 10:10 pm

embraer175e2 wrote:
WesternFlyer wrote:
opticalilyushin wrote:

It is not going to happen . bombardier nowadays did not do nothing with the lower q series. They have since then lost considerable part of the market to ATR.

Never says never. But it's most improbable, I agree with you.

Viking did buy the DHC-8 TC, so you never know: Q400 technology with Q200 and -300 Series size would develop a whole family, greatly increasing attractiveness. But still, would it even sell?

WayexTDI

Tue May 05, 2020 10:11 pm

embraer175e2 wrote:
DavidByrne wrote:

Again, no offense, but the internet is your best friend...

3rd hit on Google search.

IWMBH

Tue May 05, 2020 10:12 pm

WayexTDI wrote:
IWMBH wrote:

Well, I think you're making a very common mistake, or at least mix-up: electric propulsion and sustainable energy sources are not mutually inclusive.

A huge portion of the electricity worldwide is produced from fossil fuel (coal, natural gas, maybe even oil); so, running an electric vehicle does not mean using sustainable energy sources.
Similarly, Diesel engines are the ones taking all the blame right now; however, Rudolph Diesel made his first engines run on peanut oil (a renewable energy source). And the Diesel engine can run on a variety of oily fuels (including, and especially, vegetable oil, straight, used or "esterized" - biodiesel).

Hmm yeah but that a whole different discussion indeed. In Norway a lot of energy is generated by hydroelectric plants, so let’s give them the benefit of the doubt. Then still I think I have my doubt with planes that carry lots of batteries packed together.

usxguy

Tue May 05, 2020 10:24 pm

WayexTDI wrote:
embraer175e2 wrote:
DavidByrne wrote:

Bah. Kinda rude.

I travel *a lot* and Google in one nation is NOT the same Google in another. I was just in Canada this past weekend and even my search results for a particular topic were totally different than what we see in the States.
xx

WayexTDI

Tue May 05, 2020 10:27 pm

usxguy wrote:
WayexTDI wrote:
embraer175e2 wrote:

Bah. Kinda rude.

I travel *a lot* and Google in one nation is NOT the same Google in another. I was just in Canada this past weekend and even my search results for a particular topic were totally different than what we see in the States.

Regardless of where you are (well, at least in the free world), Google, Bing or whatever will still give you some results.
That's the 2nd time that embraer175e2 just ask "hey, can someone find some information about this and that" when he/she could have spent 10 seconds searching the net and finding some answers; sounds like he/she is just lazy.

WayexTDI

Tue May 05, 2020 10:28 pm

IWMBH wrote:
WayexTDI wrote:
IWMBH wrote:

Hmm yeah but that a whole different discussion indeed. In Norway a lot of energy is generated by hydroelectric plants, so let’s give them the benefit of the doubt. Then still I think I have my doubt with planes that carry lots of batteries packed together.

I agree, more power (pun intended) to Norway.
Still, people need to be reminded that "electric vehicle" does not necessarily equate to "clean energy/zero emission" on a global level.

embraer175e2
Topic Author

Wed May 06, 2020 1:12 am

If ATR is doing research with ANZ then maybe the next hybrid turboprop of ATR will be purchased by Wideroe.

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos