Moderators: richierich, ua900, hOMSaR

stl07
Topic Author

CNBC today

Tue Apr 07, 2020 9:39 pm

So I had CNBC turned on in the living room while I was eating lunch and there was a guy saying the market has already hit the bottom and is going up and now is the best time to buy and stocks should return to normal by June. Anyways, I turned the TV on later today and interestingly enough, it said in large headline MARKET PLUNGES FROM EARLIER TODAY.

Lol
Instead of typing in "mods", consider using the report function.
Love how every "travel blogger" says they will never fly AA/Ethihad again and then says it again and again on subsequent flights.

Newark727

Re: CNBC today

Tue Apr 07, 2020 9:58 pm

I always assumed that CNBC was staffed entirely by coked-up Wolf of Wall Street rejects who spend the entirety of their off-air time on the phone with lawyers trying to get rid of insider trading allegations.

trpmb6

Sun Apr 12, 2020 6:43 pm

I get fairly frustrated when they bring a short seller on and the guy touts a stock that may be struggling but otherwise has good financials. Then as he talks about shorting it the stock tanks. No doubt he profits.

The same could be said for those who come on and talk specifics of stocks they are long in and touting their analysis of said company boosting its value. They profit too.

PPVRA

Sun Apr 12, 2020 10:53 pm

I like CNBC but the shows about picking stocks are just crap. As for people trying to time the market, everybody tries, few get it right. Doesn't reflect on CNBC it's just the nature of trying to time the market.
"If goods do not cross borders, soldiers will" - Frederic Bastiat

GalaxyFlyer

Sun Apr 12, 2020 11:09 pm

Yes, timing the market is a sure way to poverty. You might note it isn’t Buffet’s style.

einsteinboricua

Mon Apr 13, 2020 1:00 pm

I used to watch CNBC for the tickers and for when big news broke out (GDP readings, unemployment rate, and jobless claims). Couldn't care less about the commentary.
"You haven't seen a tree until you've seen its shadow from the sky."

andrej

Mon Apr 13, 2020 1:09 pm

I find CNBC good for their morning (Asia, Europe, US) shows. Their lunch time and afternoon shows are not worth it. Too many pundits, and day traders.

GDB

Mon Apr 13, 2020 1:22 pm

Newark727 wrote:
I always assumed that CNBC was staffed entirely by coked-up Wolf of Wall Street rejects who spend the entirety of their off-air time on the phone with lawyers trying to get rid of insider trading allegations.

Beat me too it! I was going say 'Crackheads with money'.
But that's about elements of the financial industry (purveyors of major slumps and recessions), rather than any one channel.

winginit

Mon Apr 13, 2020 5:49 pm

stl07 wrote:
So I had CNBC turned on in the living room while I was eating lunch and there was a guy saying the market has already hit the bottom and is going up and now is the best time to buy and stocks should return to normal by June. Anyways, I turned the TV on later today and interestingly enough, it said in large headline MARKET PLUNGES FROM EARLIER TODAY.

Lol

Their objective is not to inform, but to keep your eyeballs on the screen for as long as possible. Remember that.

NWAESC

Mon Apr 13, 2020 8:35 pm

I used to watch “Fast Money” because I thought the panelists were fun/entertaining. Then one day one of them gushed about Carl Icahn, and that was enough for me.
"Nothing ever happens here, " I said. "I just wait."

stratosphere

Thu Apr 16, 2020 3:49 pm

NWAESC wrote:
I used to watch “Fast Money” because I thought the panelists were fun/entertaining. Then one day one of them gushed about Carl Icahn, and that was enough for me.

Exactly Icahn what an S bag ... Almost as bad as Lorenzo