Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

balz18
Topic Author

Photo Help: Severe Issues and Rejection

Fri Apr 10, 2020 4:30 pm

Afternoon All,

I’m having “severe” issues with a photo. I’ve had many other individuals look at it, edit it, re-edit it due to two previous rejections. This morning, I woke up to the third rejection of the attached shot. Not only that, I’ve now been banned from uploading for the next two weeks. This is the notice:
"Please do not re-upload photos without addressing all rejection reasons first. N476MC refers, as you have warned about same offence now you get 2 weeks upload ban."
I have not ever been warned just outright banned. Seems legit... So I would like to turn to the real experts and as for opinions about this shot. This insane list include:

- Banding
- Editing
- Halos
- Personal Message
- Reupload
- Soft

None of these issues can be found... at all. Folks I need help.

https://imgproc.airliners.net/photos/ai ... 15781fec19

Regards,

Mike
First class or no class...

JakTrax

Re: Photo Help: Severe Issues and Rejection

Fri Apr 10, 2020 5:10 pm

I do see banding in the sky; it should be more obvious if you equalise the image in Photoshop. The other issues are not worth discussing at this stage since the banding kills the shot right away.

balz18
Topic Author

Fri Apr 10, 2020 5:33 pm

I did. That “banding” if you can call it that is fairly normal for a sunset shot like this especially with the environmentals. I’ve had that “issue” cleared with other individuals

JakTrax

Fri Apr 10, 2020 7:36 pm

It depends. If the original file displays no banding (which it shouldn't if the highest quality settings in-camera were observed) then it can mean one of two things:

1) the image has been 'over-processed' or, following processing, it hasn't been saved at maximum quality (your fault)
2) the image's colour gradation detail has been lost by resizing (no one's fault — limits of physics)

Banding will always be an issue in digital imaging. I'd be surprised if there was banding in the original, full-size image however.
Last edited by JakTrax on Fri Apr 10, 2020 7:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.

balz18
Topic Author

Fri Apr 10, 2020 7:40 pm

Ya we’ve had multiple people look at the raw image. There is no banding at all, there is cloud/smog layer that the sun angle is highlighting but other than that there is nothing

JakTrax

Fri Apr 10, 2020 7:46 pm

My first thought, then, would be that you've 'over-processed' in some way (pushed the exposure, for example), or saved the image at less than maximum quality. That kind of sky is perhaps the worst for showing banding and it is possible that the conversion to jpeg simply hasn't been able to deal with the gradation in the sky. My bet would be on the first issue, though.

Drake88

Wed Apr 15, 2020 6:13 pm

I agree with the previous commentator. There is a feeling that some of the settings was twisted more than necessary. But if you like, you can leave it. And of course, you still need to see if the file was damaged during the transfer, it happened several times with similar consequences ..