Moderators: richierich, ua900, hOMSaR

LX015
Topic Author

Blue Angels above NYC, Newark & Trenton, NJ 4/28/20

Tue Apr 28, 2020 3:01 pm

I'm going to assume no, but will it be possible to see the Blue Angels on FR24 during their air demonstrations today?

LX015
Topic Author

Blue Angels above NYC, Trenton & Philadelphia 4/28/20

Tue Apr 28, 2020 3:03 pm

Deleted message

NBGSkyGod

Re: Blue Angels above NYC, Newark & Trenton, NJ 4/28/20

Tue Apr 28, 2020 3:29 pm

Probably not on FR24 but try ADSBexchange they track a lot of military as well as civlian.
https://www.adsbexchange.com/
Pilots are idiots, who at any given moment will attempt to kill themselves or others.

Moose135

Tue Apr 28, 2020 5:36 pm

I couldn't see the teams, but the 4 KC-10 tankers that are supporting them are visible on ADS-B.
KC-135 - Passing gas and taking names!

NBGSkyGod

Wed Apr 29, 2020 3:03 am

Moose135 wrote:
I couldn't see the teams, but the 4 KC-10 tankers that are supporting them are visible on ADS-B.

I was really hoping they would come down for a pass as well. A 4-ship KC-10 flyby would have been a sight to see. That being said, the two teams together was pretty cool.Image
Pilots are idiots, who at any given moment will attempt to kill themselves or others.

LyleLanley

Wed Apr 29, 2020 3:17 am

NBGSkyGod wrote:
Moose135 wrote:

I was really hoping they would come down for a pass as well. A 4-ship KC-10 flyby would have been a sight to see. That being said, the two teams together was pretty cool.Image

Nice! I was part of a 4-ship KC-10 fly-by of San Francisco a few months ago, but I reckon a 4-ship over NYC would've been a real sight; I'm glad you saw a once-in-a-lifetime show with the Blue Angels and Thunderbirds, though. Carpe diem.

P.S. C-17s really do a good job in the Bay Area. KC-10s need to step up! https://youtu.be/55KqYBsKWFE
"I've sold monorails to Brockway, Ogdenville, and North Haverbrook, and, by gum, it put them on the map!"

dragon-wings

Wed Apr 29, 2020 4:06 am

I live on Long Island (Suffolk County) near KISP and I was hoping I would catch a glimpse of them, but I didn't.
Don't give up don't ever give up - Jim Valvano

NBGSkyGod

Wed Apr 29, 2020 4:25 am

dragon-wings wrote:
I live on Long Island (Suffolk County) near KISP and I was hoping I would catch a glimpse of them, but I didn't.

I shot that from the Airport Diner on Vets and Lakeland, was there with about a thousand other people who had the same idea, lol.

dragon-wings

Wed Apr 29, 2020 9:15 am

NBGSkyGod wrote:
dragon-wings wrote:

I shot that from the Airport Diner on Vets and Lakeland, was there with about a thousand other people who had the same idea, lol.

I live a few blocks north of the Ronkonkoma railroad station and I think I did hear them, but from my house I couldn't see them.
Don't give up don't ever give up - Jim Valvano

usair1489

Wed Apr 29, 2020 3:38 pm

This was my view of the flyovers:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qUorpOV79k4

GDB

Thu Apr 30, 2020 11:19 am

Very nice.
The two US teams plus KC-10 to honor a different team of people fighting a different, though deadly war.

GDB

Thu Apr 30, 2020 11:19 am

Delete, glitch caused double post

Fri May 01, 2020 8:51 pm

Any reason why the Angels' pilots don't seem to don their masks whereas the Thunderbirds do?

Cockpit view Blue Angels:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Iyk8zw0yxhE

Cockpit view Thunderbirds:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hFq-5irxa4I

LyleLanley

Fri May 01, 2020 10:23 pm

889091 wrote:
Any reason why the Angels' pilots don't seem to don their masks whereas the Thunderbirds do?

Cockpit view Blue Angels:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Iyk8zw0yxhE

Cockpit view Thunderbirds:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hFq-5irxa4I

Different branch, different rules.

The AF is kinda anal about masks, whereas the Navy usually isn't, and the Navy usually delegates everything to the lowest possible level. That being said the Navy is usually anal about LPUs and the like, keeping their kit the same regardless if they're in Nebraska or the North Atlantic, whereas the AF is more "wear it if you're overwater".

I've seen dudes in the mid-20s with no mask handy. It's their jet, their business.
"I've sold monorails to Brockway, Ogdenville, and North Haverbrook, and, by gum, it put them on the map!"

FGITD

Sat May 02, 2020 5:10 am

Seems like there's a number of answers. The "official" line that appears most seems to be that the Blues don't use the masks because they don't fly high enough during the show, and the usual line of how it would somehow effect their stick control. (Always gotta find a way to work in how close they fly in formation)

But I've also seen and heard stories about how they never used oxygen since they started with prop fighters, making it tradition. or how they dropped them while flying the F-4s to differentiate themselves from the Thunderbirds who were also flying the f-4.

In my limited knowledge, they all sound possible.

Personally I also think each style somewhat suits the general public's perception of the branch. The Thunderbird pilots all look the same, everything seems very modern, sophisticated, and precise. The Blue Angels are very similar, but still have a bit of that old school Navy carrier wildcat style to them.

LyleLanley

Sat May 02, 2020 5:53 am

FGITD wrote:
But I've also seen and heard stories about... how they dropped them while flying the F-4s to differentiate themselves from the Thunderbirds who were also flying the f-4.

Thats bs. https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=NjnV3k6J4Nw Scroll to 5:15: notice no O2 masks and no g-suit on when they dismount?

Anyone who has seen their shows knows there’s more to distinguish the teams than their choice of AFE.

The Blues haven’t worn them by tradition, and that’s worth a lot in Navy circles. Different rules, different mindsets.

FGITD

Sat May 02, 2020 6:31 am

LyleLanley wrote:
FGITD wrote:
But I've also seen and heard stories about... how they dropped them while flying the F-4s to differentiate themselves from the Thunderbirds who were also flying the f-4.

Thats bs. https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=NjnV3k6J4Nw Scroll to 5:15: notice no O2 masks and no g-suit on when they dismount?

Anyone who has seen their shows knows there’s more to distinguish the teams than their choice of AFE.

The Blues haven’t worn them by tradition, and that’s worth a lot in Navy circles. Different rules, different mindsets.

Just repeating what I’ve read! Matter of fact I think I read that bit on this very forum...

At any rate, phenomenal video. The formation landing was something else!

LyleLanley

Sat May 02, 2020 2:57 pm

FGITD wrote:

Just repeating what I’ve read! Matter of fact I think I read that bit on this very forum...

No worries. We’ve all been there, so no offense intended.

Here’s another Tiger vid, circa 1966. At 7:30 there’s a pretty phenomenal short runway takeoff sequence. https://youtu.be/Sf4MvIHChz0

I wish they still did the form landing, too. That really must’ve been a sight to see!

FGITD

Sat May 02, 2020 4:27 pm

LyleLanley wrote:
FGITD wrote:

No worries. We’ve all been there, so no offense intended.

Here’s another Tiger vid, circa 1966. At 7:30 there’s a pretty phenomenal short runway takeoff sequence. https://youtu.be/Sf4MvIHChz0

I wish they still did the form landing, too. That really must’ve been a sight to see!

The f11 seems like a bit of a hot rod. Looks like it put on a great show. Unfortunately they've had the f18s for most of my life, so great shows, but missed out on the variety. Hard to believe they used to change aircraft every few years, and now it's been the Hornets for more than 3 decades n

LyleLanley

Sat May 02, 2020 8:00 pm

FGITD wrote:
The f11 seems like a bit of a hot rod. Looks like it put on a great show. Unfortunately they've had the f18s for most of my life, so great shows, but missed out on the variety. Hard to believe they used to change aircraft every few years, and now it's been the Hornets for more than 3 decades n

It's definitely more nimble than I expected, too! Before seeing those vids I thought the F11 bore more than a striking resemblance to the plane from Hot Shots, but that thing could really move!

Gonna be more than 3 with the impending Super Hornet upgrade. Crazy.