Moderators: jsumali2, richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

Revelation
Topic Author

Dominic Gates and Team Wins Pulitzer Prize for MAX Reporting

Mon May 04, 2020 11:11 pm

Thought it was noteworthy to post that Dominic Gates and his teammates at Seattle Times have won the most prestigious award in journalism for their reporting on the 737 MAX tragedy.

Ref: hhttps://twitter.com/PulitzerPrizes/sta ... 1570476032
Ref: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pulitzer_Prize
Ref: https://www.seattletimes.com/inside-the ... -coverage/

I think the prize is well deserved. I hope they keep up the excellent work because I have a feeling there is a lot we still do not know about the story.
Wake up to find out that you are the eyes of the world
The heart has its beaches, its homeland and thoughts of its own
Wake now, discover that you are the song that the morning brings
The heart has its seasons, its evenings and songs of its own

Antarius

Re: Dominic Gates and Team Wins Pulitzer Prize for MAX Reporting

Mon May 04, 2020 11:16 pm

Great. Investigative journalists are critical to keeping bad decision making and worse, bad management supporting aforementioned bad decision making, in check. Hopefully lesson learned for next time.
2020: SFO DFW IAH HOU CLT MEX BIS MIA GUA ORD DTW LGA BOS LHR DUB BFS BHD STN OAK PHL ISP JFK SJC DEN SJU LAS TXL GDL

chrisair

Tue May 05, 2020 1:00 am

Well deserved to the entire Seattle Times team. Dominic is a fantastic reporter.

VS11

Tue May 05, 2020 1:10 am

Well-deserved! The reporting was compelling and competent.

LCDFlight

Tue May 05, 2020 4:05 am

The most stunning and disturbing story in Boeing’s history. It calls everything - everything... into question.

AirlineBob

Tue May 05, 2020 12:58 pm

Congratulations to Dominic Gates and the Seattle Times team! Well deserved award.

If you haven't read any of the stuff from the Seattle Times, I recommend taking a look. It's hard to describe how well they do their reporting. The articles have enough detail to keep an av-geek like myself interested, yet it's not so down-in-the-weeds that it's inaccessible to the average reader. Given it's Seattle roots, you get a lot of local flavor in the comments section as well (lots of commentary from salty Boeing lifers on the current state of the company).

Dominic himself has an interesting background; This article from 2007 talks a little bit about his journey from working as an Irish math teacher to covering the Boeing beat in Seattle.

https://www.seattletimes.com/inside-the ... eing-beat/

NeBaNi

Tue May 05, 2020 4:40 pm

Wow this is fantastic and like others have said above, well deserved. Dominic Gates has a way of writing, that interests me as an AvGeek, but also makes it really understandable for the non-AvGeeks. His articles are also satisfyingly rich in details, which make them extremely worthwhile to read. Congratulations!

chrisair

Wed May 06, 2020 7:39 am

I didn’t realize but this is actually the third Pulitzer won by the Times for Boeing stories. They won the feature writing one in 1984 for their “Making it Fly” series by Pete Rinearson and a 1997 one for reporting on 737 issues by Byron Acohido.

The Making it Fly series is really a good nostalgic read if anyone is up for it: https://special.seattletimes.com/o/news/business/757/

frmrCapCadet

Wed May 06, 2020 1:05 pm

The is an analogy for the Times industrial/retail reporting. Not 'fan boy', but 'home team'. If you want to know what is bad or good about a sports team you obviously read the 'home team' writers. They aim to be as withering in their criticism as they are to cheer on good performance. I specify retail because for some reason Seattle is big in retail, now also software, medical research, as well as Boeing (going down hill as a Seattle engineering company). The Times covers these big players very well, also real estate and the homeless.
Buffet: the airline business...has eaten up capital...like..no other (business)

Noshow

Wed May 06, 2020 1:17 pm

It's good to see newspaper journalism of this high quality today. It's about a topic and neutral reliable information. Not about self marketing and vanity. Keep on going.

Revelation
Topic Author

Wed May 06, 2020 3:07 pm

LCDFlight wrote:
The most stunning and disturbing story in Boeing’s history. It calls everything - everything... into question.

One can only imagine the things Dominic and team have heard but can't bring themselves to publish.

AirlineBob wrote:
Dominic himself has an interesting background; This article from 2007 talks a little bit about his journey from working as an Irish math teacher to covering the Boeing beat in Seattle.

https://www.seattletimes.com/inside-the ... eing-beat/

Thanks!

I was expecting to find he started out as an avgeek but it seems he's picked that up on the job.

He really is an exceptional worker, and the things the story say about him being extremely dedicated to getting the story right is true.

chrisair wrote:
I didn’t realize but this is actually the third Pulitzer won by the Times for Boeing stories. They won the feature writing one in 1984 for their “Making it Fly” series by Pete Rinearson and a 1997 one for reporting on 737 issues by Byron Acohido.

The Making it Fly series is really a good nostalgic read if anyone is up for it: https://special.seattletimes.com/o/news/business/757/

I love the article, but I'm afraid of more glorification of the 757! :biggrin:
Wake up to find out that you are the eyes of the world
The heart has its beaches, its homeland and thoughts of its own
Wake now, discover that you are the song that the morning brings
The heart has its seasons, its evenings and songs of its own

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos