Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

airhansa
Topic Author

Is it unlikely that international travel will reopen before August in the western world?

Tue May 12, 2020 8:21 am

I've listed a few of the current earliest reopening dates below from what I could gather online.

Australia and NZ: mid-August
Based on a three-step plan implemented by federal government on May 8th, in which every step is reviewed for expansion after three weeks, and where international travel is one of the last steps. Since New Zealand is working to create a common travel area with Australia, it's unlikely that they would open up before mid-August as well.

Europe: mid-June, likely until the end of July
The EU has requested an extension of entry ban until mid-June. At the same time, France has enacted a state-of-emergency until July 24th, during which visitors will be subject to travel restrictions, stating that it will open-up only in tandem with other European countries. I doubt Italy and UK will be quicker.

USA : ?
The government has said it's unsure if international travel can resume before summer. American Airlines plans to restart a few intercontinental flights on June 4, but it's flight to Dublin is slated to restart in early July.

I can see a situation where large increases in South America and Eastern Europe, coupled with the second wave that American scientists feared would fall in Autumn, meaning that restrictions continue for several more months.

TG788

Re: Is it unlikely that international travel will reopen before August in the western world?

Tue May 12, 2020 9:56 am

I live in Australia and we’ve been regularly told to not expect international travel (save for the floated NZ “bubble”) until next year.

acavpics

Re: Is it unlikely that international travel will reopen before August in the western world?

Tue May 12, 2020 2:30 pm

Maybe some short haul international routes (For example: US-Canada/Mexico) will come back by August.

People will be itching to travel come December. I'd think by November, a good chunk of long haul international routes will be back on the table.

TYCOON

Tue May 12, 2020 2:48 pm

The French 14-day quarantine in place until 24 July is only for those coming in from outside the European Union zone and the UK. The EU ministers will be meeting tomorrow to discuss coordination for the opening up of intra-European borders for the summer. France, Italy, Spain and Germany are already coordinating their approach and the Italian tourism minister has stated openly that any tourist coming to Italy will not face a 14-day quarantine and he would urge the borders to be opened for Europeans. AF has added capacity in July and August to some Spanish destinations (notably Ibiza) and Ryanair has stated they are planning 40% schedule for June that includes Spain. Eurowings has also recently published their routes for June that include flights to Palma de Mallorca from various German cities and Dusseldorf-Ibiza. Flights to Spain, Italy and Greece are all bookable on Transavia, KLM, Air France, etc... for June, July and August. My gut feel is that intra-European travel and flights will be back to almost normal but travel for holidays outside of the European zone will not... no Turkey, no North Africa, Egypt, Israel, USA etc... for this summer, hence the increased capacity to European destinations. This is my current read of the situation. But I could be wrong.