Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

Okie
Topic Author

Re: Washington State Requires ID for Resturant Service

Sat May 16, 2020 7:35 pm

Tugger wrote:
Basically yes, I do. He, his administration is pushing the intrusive surveillance section 215 of Patriot Act. So he supports intrusive elements of it.

Barr had added the amicus curiae to the house bill. Leahy and Lee amendment in the final senate bill limited his power. So that addresses FISA abuse.
You and I are going to be subject of a law looking for a crime since no protections for internet and computer history.

Tugger wrote:
The only results that came up were of people that were NY'ers that were non-residents and visited or people that earned income or were on business while visiting NY.

Visiting NJ, NY and NYC is crime until proven other wise. They monitor credit cards, by whom, to where they were used as well as what was purchased by name a zip code and Dunn and Bradstreet listing or similar cross reference to name I would guess. They also throw in fraud since you are on business and using personal credit card for business.

I had been warned from several people that I know who have had the same problem.
One even got audited and charged again the second year because he was spending time in NY doing the business of going to visit his attorney to get the previous years charges dropped.

Okie

alfa164

Sat May 16, 2020 7:55 pm

Okie wrote:
Barr had added the amicus curiae to the house bill. Leahy and Lee amendment in the final senate bill limited his power. So that addresses FISA abuse.
You and I are going to be subject of a law looking for a crime since no protections for internet and computer history.

What are you talking about? Do you have any idea? Amicus curiae is a Court filing, from and outsider (a "friend of the court", literally), supporting one side or another in a particular case. It is not a part of any "house bill", or any type of legislation.

:roll:

Okie wrote:
Visiting NJ, NY and NYC is crime until proven other wise. They monitor credit cards, by whom, to where they were used as well as what was purchased by name a zip code and Dunn and Bradstreet listing or similar cross reference to name I would guess. They also throw in fraud since you are on business and using personal credit card for business.

If you are doing business in New York, you are subject to their income tax laws. You have answered your own question - and defeated your own argument.
I'm going to have a smokin' hot body again!
I have decided to be cremated....

Okie
Topic Author

Sat May 16, 2020 8:07 pm

einsteinboricua wrote:
Gov Inslee backed off the requirement and is now making it voluntary.

I figured as much.

There were a few restaurants here, for a short period of time, taking your cell phone number and paging your phone when your table was available instead of the flashing pager.
By giving them your phone number you were agreeing to allow a marketing company although you were not informed of such an agreement to send you text advertisements.

Wonderful idea for the advertiser. Such an irritant their customers quit coming back from what I understand.
The restaurants that I enlightened with my presence that had it in the past, I told them I will sitting right over there or I can go elsewhere.
I have never had to go elsewhere and all are back to the pagers where I had run into using your cell phone in the past.

Okie

Tugger

Sat May 16, 2020 9:05 pm

Okie wrote:
I figured as much.

There were a few restaurants here, for a short period of time, taking your cell phone number and paging your phone when your table was available instead of the flashing pager.
By giving them your phone number you were agreeing to allow a marketing company although you were not informed of such an agreement to send you text advertisements.

Wonderful idea for the advertiser. Such an irritant their customers quit coming back from what I understand.
The restaurants that I enlightened with my presence that had it in the past, I told them I will sitting right over there or I can go elsewhere.
I have never had to go elsewhere and all are back to the pagers where I had run into using your cell phone in the past.

I never give my cell number. It usually flummoxes the host/hostess (and annoys my wife if she is with me) and they often do the "fish mouth motion"trying to figure out what to do. I just tell them to call my name, I will be around. There are a few place that require a number (modern world, enter your info on a tablet) so they have to end up entering some fake number.

For some reason a lot of people just give out their cell number to everyone that asks for it. Not me.

Tugg
I don’t know that I am unafraid to be myself, but it is hard to be somebody else. - W. Shatner
There are many kinds of sentences that we think state facts about the world but that are really just expressions of our attitudes. - F. Ramsey

Okie
Topic Author

Sat May 16, 2020 9:41 pm

Tugger wrote:
There are a few place that require a number (modern world, enter your info on a tablet) so they have to end up entering some fake number.

If they are young I give them my area code then 8675-309 although you have to break it up 867-5309.
If it is an older person they smile real big and punch it in anyway.

Okie

einsteinboricua

Sun May 17, 2020 1:30 am

Okie wrote:

I've given my phone number to get a text for when a table is ready and have yet to be spammed by any company. Heck, even my medical offices text me to remind me of appointments. Even if that were the case, they also send a text asking you to text STOP if you want to stop receiving texts.

Seriously, this is entering tinfoil hat territory.
"You haven't seen a tree until you've seen its shadow from the sky."

Aesma

Sun May 17, 2020 1:36 am

airhansa wrote:
What I find slightly ridiculous is that nearly all of the East Asian countries have been successful at limiting the coronavirus, but they took far less drastic actions including weaker lockdowns (except for Hubei and Singapore, the latter due to the large number of expats from the West returning to Singapore to flee the pandemic)

Far less drastic except everyone is tracked through their phone, and you get fined gigantic amounts of money or jailed for not complying with government orders.
New Technology is the name we give to stuff that doesn't work yet. Douglas Adams

airhansa

Sun May 17, 2020 4:11 am

Aesma wrote:
airhansa wrote:
What I find slightly ridiculous is that nearly all of the East Asian countries have been successful at limiting the coronavirus, but they took far less drastic actions including weaker lockdowns (except for Hubei and Singapore, the latter due to the large number of expats from the West returning to Singapore to flee the pandemic)

Far less drastic except everyone is tracked through their phone, and you get fined gigantic amounts of money or jailed for not complying with government orders.

You only get tracked through your phone in Singapore, and if you're a foreigner in South Korea or Hong Kong. China doesn't officially track people but companies like Tencent, who's apps are as widespread as Facebook, offer third party tracking apps for those registered on their services. Australia and New Zealand are both launching tracking apps for domestic users.

seb146

Sun May 17, 2020 4:33 am

Okie wrote:
Tugger wrote:
There are a few place that require a number (modern world, enter your info on a tablet) so they have to end up entering some fake number.

If they are young I give them my area code then 8675-309 although you have to break it up 867-5309.
If it is an older person they smile real big and punch it in anyway.

Okie

And that's fine if they badger you for a rewards number. But, in the case of tracing for covid-19, that is not a good idea. Think about this:

you give your phone number as 867-5309 and are seated at a restaurant. A week later, that restaurant finds out two people are in the hospital with covid and others are sick. The restaurant has to call everyone there that day during specific times. If you gave them a fake number, oh well. You can not do anything about it but think and pray. Can't sue the restaurant, can't sue the state government, can't sue anyone if (or when) you get sick. meh... whatever. Hope the meal was worth it.
You bet I'm pumped!!! I just had a green tea!!!

stl07

Sun May 17, 2020 8:14 am

airhansa wrote:
Aesma wrote:
airhansa wrote:

You only get tracked through your phone in Singapore, and if you're a foreigner in South Korea or Hong Kong. China doesn't officially track people but companies like Tencent, who's apps are as widespread as Facebook, offer third party tracking apps for those registered on their services. Australia and New Zealand are both launching tracking apps for domestic users.

China doesn't track people?
Instead of typing in "mods", consider using the report function.
Love how every "travel blogger" says they will never fly AA/Ethihad again and then says it again and again on subsequent flights.

airhansa

Sun May 17, 2020 9:37 am

stl07 wrote:
airhansa wrote:
Aesma wrote:

China doesn't track people?

In terms of trying to deal with the pandemic, it's been the private sector that has "tracked" people through crowd-sourcing. It's almost similar to Facebook launching a tracking app for people registered on FB, who then warns if you've been in an area where an infected person was.

secretgarden93

Wed Jun 03, 2020 7:46 pm

seb146 wrote:
NIKV69 wrote:
Other states joining in. I will not patronize an establishment that asks for my information. Going to hurt business.

So you are just going to surf the web ordering from Postmates and Door Dash and eBay? Because none of that requires any of your personal information....

You could look at it this way:

they take everyone's information. They discover that one person was infected and got sick. Would you rather risk getting sick and passing the virus on to vulnerable people or be told that someone in that restaurant was sick and here are steps you can take to avoid transmitting? With no ID, it sets up small businesses for law suits. They would have to defend themselves from "why wasn't I told the person in the next booth was sick?" law suits. Which they can not afford because they are small businesses.

Good point. Still, the covid thing is tricky in all sorts of ways.