Moderators: richierich, ua900, hOMSaR

FlyingElvii
Topic Author

Only 5% of Americans Intend to Travel ANYWHERE For Memorial Day Weekend

Tue May 19, 2020 3:49 am

95% say it is too soon to travel.
66% say they will drive more to avoid the Airlines.

53% say they are putting off ANY leisure travel until at least 2021.

Very interesting survey, kind of jives with what Delta's CEO said today. That only building customer confidence in the airline brings back the travelers, and DL intends to do that.

(from rooters, won't post the link)
Last edited by FlyingElvii on Tue May 19, 2020 3:52 am, edited 2 times in total.

32andBelow

Re: Only 5% of Americans Intend to Travel ANYWHERE For MEmeorial Day Weekend

Tue May 19, 2020 3:51 am

This is going to be constantly changing. Seeing their friends travel. Plus deals. Is gonna change things.

joeblow10

Re: Only 5% of Americans Intend to Travel ANYWHERE For MEmeorial Day Weekend

Tue May 19, 2020 3:54 am

32andBelow wrote:
This is going to be constantly changing. Seeing their friends travel. Plus deals. Is gonna change things.

Agreed. In a way this is like the stages of grief - everybody is moving towards acceptance at a different pace, but they’ll get there eventually. Saying you’re going to stay at home all the time or in your small part of the world for 18 months is easy... until you actually have to do it. No doubt car travel will pick up in the coming 1-2 years, but there will be travel.

airhansa

Re: Only 5% of Americans Intend to Travel ANYWHERE For Memorial Day Weekend

Tue May 19, 2020 4:59 am

The recovery in the West is going to be very different from that in the East. The recovery after the SARS epidemic in Asia-Pacific was within one year in HK, and after around one year in the rest of East Asia, and since nothing bad happened then it's likely that Asians will leave their homes just as quickly this time.

FlyingElvii wrote:

Very interesting survey, kind of jives with what Delta's CEO said today. That only building customer confidence in the airline brings back the travelers, and DL intends to do that.

I still do not understand why so many Airliners.net posters seem to think that business travel will be more affected than leisure travel. For me it's the opposite, where people will put off non-urgent travel such as leisure but keep the economic/logistical ties open. Hence why the likes of Cathay Pacific or KLM will remain afloat, but Jet2 or Virgin will not.

32andBelow

Tue May 19, 2020 5:05 am

Also gas is basically free so I think that would have hurt airlines anyways.

slcdeltarumd11

Tue May 19, 2020 5:12 am

Gas being so cheap will make people really want to drive for summer vacations instead of flying.

Midwestindy

Tue May 19, 2020 8:00 pm

FlyingElvii wrote:

Why would you not post the link? I'm pretty sure the forum rules dictate you post the link if you are referencing an article.

I can't find the data you are sourcing
Status for 2019/2020: AAdvantage Platinum, Delta Gold, Southwest A-List

FlyingElvii
Topic Author

Wed May 20, 2020 1:16 am

Midwestindy wrote:
FlyingElvii wrote:

Why would you not post the link? I'm pretty sure the forum rules dictate you post the link if you are referencing an article.

I can't find the data you are sourcing

I tried, not linkable. Probably copyright.

dfwjim1

Thu May 21, 2020 8:52 pm

With all the things going in the last 2 months I believe that Memorial Day has snuck up on most of us living in the U.S. I usually work on Memorial Day but this year I am on furlough so not working on the Holiday. One of the few things I like about not working.

Yflyer

Thu May 21, 2020 8:57 pm

I'm not traveling anywhere, but I wouldn't have traveled even in normal times. I usually try to avoid traveling on a holiday weekend, because that's when everyone else travels. I'd prefer to avoid the crowds.

AirKevin

Thu May 21, 2020 10:23 pm

I'm normally working during the holidays anyhow, so doesn't really change anything for me.
Captain Kevin

UALFAson

Fri May 22, 2020 1:33 pm

airhansa wrote:
I still do not understand why so many Airliners.net posters seem to think that business travel will be more affected than leisure travel. For me it's the opposite, where people will put off non-urgent travel such as leisure but keep the economic/logistical ties open. Hence why the likes of Cathay Pacific or KLM will remain afloat, but Jet2 or Virgin will not.

Because businesses are slashing their budgets trying to stay solvent and travel is probably the first thing to get gutted. Throw in liability concerns and biz travel is toast for the year. I have already been told by my job I will likely not travel any more the rest of 2020 and I fly enough to get Platinum status (60 segments/year). The only way I will be able to get on an airplane is any leisure travel I pay for myself, which I am itching to do.

So much of business can be done now via Zoom or other video conference sites. No, it doesn't replace in-person relationship building and business travel will eventually come back for that reason. But desperate times call for desperate measures. I'm not willing to travel to New York City in person right now to make a deal. Are you?
"We hope you've enjoyed flying with us as much as we've enjoyed taking you for a ride."

kavok

Fri May 22, 2020 5:39 pm

UALFAson wrote:
airhansa wrote:

Because businesses are slashing their budgets trying to stay solvent and travel is probably the first thing to get gutted. Throw in liability concerns and biz travel is toast for the year. I have already been told by my job I will likely not travel any more the rest of 2020 and I fly enough to get Platinum status (60 segments/year). The only way I will be able to get on an airplane is any leisure travel I pay for myself, which I am itching to do.

So much of business can be done now via Zoom or other video conference sites. No, it doesn't replace in-person relationship building and business travel will eventually come back for that reason. But desperate times call for desperate measures. I'm not willing to travel to New York City in person right now to make a deal. Are you?

Simply put, most business travel essentially requires two approvals:
-The first is the traveler being willing to travel.
-The second is the business being willing to send the traveler.

Leisure travel only requires one approval:
-The traveler being willing to travel.

stlgph

Fri May 22, 2020 7:39 pm

^^^^
There's a third variable in business travel - the other business wanting to accept travelers and in-person interaction.
if assumptions could fly, airliners.net would be the world's busiest airport

airhansa

Sat May 23, 2020 1:20 pm

UALFAson wrote:
airhansa wrote:

Businesses are not more affected by the economic crisis than people. Unless you're in East Asia where saving rates are high, it's likely that the average consumer will not be economically better off than the average business.

UALFAson

Mon May 25, 2020 11:25 pm

airhansa wrote:
Businesses are not more affected by the economic crisis than people. Unless you're in East Asia where saving rates are high, it's likely that the average consumer will not be economically better off than the average business.

Maybe it's different in whatever part of the world you live in, but here in the U.S., air travel is slowly starting to recover and it's leisure travelers with pent-up demand who are driving the increased passenger numbers, not business travelers. There are multiple posts in several threads on this site discussing this.

Americans love to travel--always have, always will.
"We hope you've enjoyed flying with us as much as we've enjoyed taking you for a ride."