Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

jetmech
Topic Author

An-225 pitch trim

Mon Jun 29, 2020 1:28 am

Hello All,

I'm curious as to how the An-225 achieves longitudinal pitch trim. As far as I can tell, the An-225 has a fixed horizontal stabiliser and hence, the elevators are the only way to provide pitch trim.

Yet as per the photos below, there appears to be appreciable main wing flaps selected without any up elevator to compensate.

Regards, JetMech
JetMech split the back of his pants. He can feel the wind in his hair :shock: .

scbriml

Re: An-225 pitch trim

Mon Jun 29, 2020 3:38 pm

Looking at this picture, there seems to be three moveable sections on each side of the horizontal stab. Whether or not they're actually used, I'm afraid I can't say.

Image from https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Antonov_An-225_Mriya edited by me for clarity.
Time flies like an arrow. Fruit flies like a banana!
There are 10 types of people in the World - those that understand binary and those that don't.

zanl188

Wed Jul 01, 2020 12:09 pm

If I’m not mistaken both AN124 and AN225 use a fly by wire flight control system. That would certainly provide an opportunity to use elevators for pitch trim.
Legal considerations provided by: Dewey, Cheatum, and Howe

jetmech
Topic Author

Wed Jul 01, 2020 1:24 pm

scbriml wrote:
Looking at this picture, there seems to be three moveable sections on each side of the horizontal stab.

Yes, it's an interesting elevator setup. The outboard sections look to be double or triple hinged.

zanl188 wrote:
If I’m not mistaken both AN124 and AN225 use a fly by wire flight control system. That would certainly provide an opportunity to use elevators for pitch trim.

Sure. I'd say it's doable with a mechanical flight control system too. Pitch trim would have to be provided by the elevators if the tailplane is fixed unless they have some sort of movable ballast system. Speaking of the An-124, it appears the same thing is happening, appreciable main wing flaps with no up elevator and what appears to be a fixed tailplane.

Regards, JetMech
JetMech split the back of his pants. He can feel the wind in his hair :shock: .

roby11

Fri Jul 03, 2020 12:50 pm

What about Stratolaunch?
Best regards